What items am I allowed to claim tax back for?

Tuesday, April 27th, 2010

Wednesday, April 28th, 2010


Can you tell us a little more information about your situation.

Are you self employed or are you working in a job?

Is there any reasons you think you might be eligible for an expense?

Wednesday, April 28th, 2010


I work as a support assistant in high school and work with young people on autistic spectrum. I wear my own clothes, shoes etc and am not provided with any uniform. Can I claim for clothing?

Wednesday, April 28th, 2010


You only get tax relief on a uniform or clothing if you need it to do your job and your employer does not pay for it.

Generally speaking employee can’t get tax relief for the cost of clothing they simply wear to work – but there are a few exceptions. For example, if you work in construction or the building trade you’ll have to wear protective clothing like:

* overalls
* gloves
* boots
* helmets

If you pay for these items yourself and you do not get refunded by your employer, then you are entitled to claim a tax refund. You can also claim for the cost of repairing, cleaning and replacing this type of specialist clothing.

Thursday, July 1st, 2010


Can I claim tax back on work shoes that are not provided by the company? I work in a supermarket.

Sunday, July 4th, 2010

carol mccallum

I work in an office dealing with member’s of the public and I have to buy and wear my own cloths as we do not have a standard uniform is there any claim i can make towards these costs

Sunday, July 4th, 2010


carol mccallum: Unfortunately you can not claim for regular office clothes.

Tuesday, September 28th, 2010

leigh merry

I have had several work tops for work and have had to pay for them all can i claim this back on my tax? and what about shoes and trousers? if so how do i do this any help would be appreciated thanks

Thursday, November 25th, 2010


My employer has provided us with iPads to do our job with, we can take these home with us but we must take them into work to use. We have to pay for these iPads at £50 per mth for 6 mths then they are ours but we still need to take them to use in our jobs. Can I claim this money back.

Wednesday, December 8th, 2010

jackie hilton

i work at an hospital and buy my own clothing and shoes so am i allowed to claim the money back as i do have to wear a uniform

Monday, December 27th, 2010


I work for an airline. I have to pay for my own uniform (also washing of the uniform), shoes, trolly and makeup. Can I claim it back somehow?

Thursday, January 13th, 2011


I am a chauffeur and have to buy suits, shirts and shoes myself, can I claim these back on my tax

Tuesday, January 25th, 2011


I am in the Army and I have bought a new Mess Dress. Can I claim the tax back on this?

Sunday, March 6th, 2011

karen ward

Hi, my husband is a project manager for a large company and is required to wear a suit, tie, shirt and shoes which are obviously not cheap. Can we claim these back through the tax? Many thanks

Wednesday, March 23rd, 2011

Gillian Hughes

I am a retail manager and my company used to provide my uniform free of charge. However, they now insist on me wearing their products and give me a discount. Am I able to claim any tax relief on this these payment. Many thanks for any information you can provide.

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011

emily mcclarence

i work in a nursery and i need to provide my own trousers and shoes as part of my uniform , and my employer provides my tunic can i claim back forthe trousers and shoes ???

Thursday, October 6th, 2011


I work in a kitchen, as a chef. I’ve just started and I have to buy some chef whites as my employer won’t buy them for me. (Top, apron, shoes, trousers) Can I claim the full price back, or just a percentage? And if so, HOW!

Sunday, October 16th, 2011


I am manager of a uk sports store. im required to wear a shirt, tie,shoes trousers which i have to pay for. Can i claim anyh money back for these or for washing these.

Friday, November 4th, 2011


can i claim for the use of my trousers and shoes for work as i am a security driver so i always have to be clean and tidy and well presented as i meet clients

Saturday, November 19th, 2011


I work for a care agency and we must wear black trousers and suitable footwear can i get taxrelief

Thursday, November 24th, 2011


i work in security and i have to pay for my uniform,can i claim tax back the uniform costs about 200 pound that includes the securitys name trousers,shirts jumpers,shoes,ties,coats

Monday, November 28th, 2011


My husband is a security guard which he must hold an SIA badge. He has to have this badge in order to do his job and pays for it himself. Am I correct in thinking he can claim the tax back on this.

If this is correct how does he go about claiming this.

Tuesday, November 29th, 2011


I work in a boarding kennels and have to buy all my clothes and shoes etc I only get provided with latex gloves can I claim for coats, shoes, trousers, I work in all weathers

Tuesday, November 29th, 2011


Can I claim back for my clothes I buy for work I work in a boarding kennels ans work in all weathers , I only get provided with latex gloves I have to uk coats, shoes, and trousers etc

Monday, December 5th, 2011


I work for a major high street clothes retailer and I am required to regularly buy clothes from the store to wear while working. These clothes are very expensive and although we get 25% staff discount, having to buy them is a drain on my pocket. Can I claim tax back on this.

Friday, January 27th, 2012

Nicola Bache

I only receive about £7,000 a year on renting my property. I work full time and pay rent for another property which I live in. The property I receive rent from also has a mortgage on it which I’m paying. Roughly how much tax should I pay?

Friday, February 24th, 2012


can i claim back my laundry bills for washing my work uniform

Sunday, February 26th, 2012

Mark Whittall

I’ve just had to start wearing a company uniform – polo shirts ect…. can I claim any tax relief for laundry costs?

Also they have taken my corporate expenses account card from me and now I have to pay for any hotel bills or any other expences using my own credit card and claiming it back. Is there any help I van get with this.

Thursday, April 5th, 2012

Sonia Massara

I work in a restaurant and i have to buy my own uniform which consists of black shirts, black trousers, black shoes and tea towels. I have worked here for seven years and never thought about it before but surely i can make a claim right?

Wednesday, April 11th, 2012


hi, i work in a supermarket where the uniform is provided, but we have to wash our own uniform. reading articles about the uniform tax rebate – am i entitled to claim? thanks

Thursday, April 12th, 2012


I landed in Canada 2010,i bought furniture and may items I did’t claim in tax return 2010,can I claim these items tax return in 2011?

Thursday, April 12th, 2012


Hi I work as a security guard for a local authority and I have to buy a license to work as a security guard (SIA license). Can I claim the license fee back from the tax?

Friday, June 15th, 2012


i work at a sports ground and i have to buy my own waterproof gear boots and head gear. so can i clam on those items?

Sunday, October 7th, 2012

Michele Lewis

I’ work for a care agency and have to we’re black trousers and black shoes and have to was my uniform top also , can I claim tax relief on this , ??

Thursday, October 25th, 2012

Lee smith

I work a a hotel duty manager, I supply my own uniform I’m I entilted to claim uniform tax relif on this.

Thursday, December 13th, 2012


i am a freelance chauffeur..can i claim a clothing allowence..also do i get an allowence for social entertaining..i.e resturants

Thursday, January 3rd, 2013


I work in a pub/restaurant can I claim Money back for trousers and severely pairs of shoes I have had to buy as part of my uniform

Saturday, January 12th, 2013

Liz Orchard

I have to wear black shoes and trousers and have to buy them myself so why can’t I claim for them?

Tuesday, January 15th, 2013


I stay in a hotel, i pay 185 which includes tax.. Can i claim this on my taxes, i’ve stayed here over3 months…

Thursday, January 31st, 2013

Helen Williams

I am now self employed and partly work from home in my own home office, can i claim for the office furniture I have bought previously but am using now for my work?

Thursday, February 28th, 2013

roy williams

i work in security i am provided with some uniform but have to pay for the dry cleaning myself can i cliam that back

Thursday, February 28th, 2013

adam jones

can i claim back for work shoes ? im a chef and do spend alot on shoes and i was just wondering would i be able to cliam back for them

Saturday, March 16th, 2013

Sarah shepherd

To do most claims you just write a standard letter to your tax office your name, address and n I. Number. If you wash your own uniform, state this in the letter along with your employer name, address and time worked there. Same thing for if you need to buy your own ppe, safety or work shoes, helmets etc. If you need an sia licence for your job, same deal. Standard letter, date you paid for licence, licence number.
Hope this helps its easier than you think