What does BR mean for tax code?

Friday, May 7th, 2010

Friday, May 7th, 2010


‘BR’ stands for ‘Basic Rate’ which means that you are paying tax at the basic rate of 20% (currently).

The BR tax code is sometimes known as the ‘emergency tax code’.

You can read more about emergency tax here:


Sunday, June 20th, 2010


Hi i have got myself another part time job and my tax code is BR ,can i not use the tax code 647L which is my other jobs tax code ?thanks Christine.

Monday, June 21st, 2010


Your second job should be taxed at the BR tax rate.

Monday, July 19th, 2010


only just started getting a privare pension since March and new p60 says br what do i have to do = thank you

Sunday, July 25th, 2010

b hayes

i have a job at the school which i pay tax on. my husband died leaving me with a pension that he paid in through the water board of which is £285 a month i am taxed on that pension with br code is this right
hoping for a reply

Sunday, July 25th, 2010

br tax code

should i be taxed on my late husbands pension which i get £285 a month
i work myself & pay tax on my earnings

Thursday, October 14th, 2010

peter n briggs

What is the personal tax allowance for 2010/2011 for a 71 year old pensioner

Friday, January 28th, 2011

Mrs Clarke

I am a single parent i work part time, i earn £20,000 pa before deductions my tax code is BR am i entitled to a tax refund?

Saturday, January 29th, 2011


Mrs Clarke: Is that your only job? A BR tax code is usually for people with two jobs and it means you do not get a personal allowance. Your eligibility for a tax rebate depends on how much you earn and how much you have paid in tax. You can check using our calculator here:


Thursday, April 7th, 2011


i have a full time job and have just started a paper round i am being taxed on the paper round with a br tax code is this right.

Saturday, April 30th, 2011


i am 18yrs old in full time education. ive started a weekend job and my gross earnings is £60. ive had £12.20 tax taken off me and my tax code is br. is this right?

Thursday, May 5th, 2011


Usually all second jobs are taxed with BR code which means whole(not personal allowance applies) amount you earn from that job will be taxed.

Thursday, May 26th, 2011


i have just started working on a temporary job through a recruitment agency and i have given them my p45 but i have been put on br tax code . is this correct? me las tax cding notice showed 647l

Monday, July 4th, 2011

Cat Sweeney

I have just started a full time job as I have deferred from uni but my tax code is BR. Is this correct? It seems like a lot of tax deduction from my salary. Thank you ever so much for your advice.

Tuesday, August 16th, 2011


I have a paper round and only earn up to 650 a year but have started small part time job as well a couple of evenings a week earning approx £70 per week what tax code will I need to use

Tuesday, October 25th, 2011

Mr Hull

I work as a steward at my local football ground and it is my only source of income, I have recieved a letter saying my tax code is BR is this correct?

Tuesday, February 14th, 2012


i earn 15.000 a year should i be on a br tax code

Tuesday, February 14th, 2012


i only have one full time job and only earn 15.000 per year dont receive any benefits only income is my wage should i be on a br tax code

Saturday, February 25th, 2012

my tax code is 285L what does that mean

My tax code is 285L what does that mean ?

Thursday, April 5th, 2012


I started a new job feb and I an on BR code but i dont have a second job.. Is this an emergency tax code? Thanx Jacqui

Tuesday, April 17th, 2012

George R.

Took early retirement 10 years ago when 53 years old and have been in receipt of a works pension ever since. When I reached the age of 60 an army pension kicked in and my tax code has been BR ever since.Is this right ?

Friday, May 11th, 2012


what dose the tax code 650 mean ?

Thursday, July 5th, 2012


i have just received a letter telling me i will be on tax code BR. This is my only job i have, why am i on a emergency tax code?

Saturday, July 7th, 2012


ladies and gentleman,

its simple just follow what is written :)

BR Stands for “Basic Rate” and indicates that all of your income is to be subjected to the basic rate of tax at the current rate. You will therefore receive no personal allowances but you will not be subjected to higher rates of tax.

A BR tax code is often issued to a consultant who sets up his own limited company, having just left a previous employment.

This is because HMRC may believe that the new company is a second source of income prior to your form P45 filtering through the system, indicating that you have left the previous employment. As soon as HMRC realise that the new limited company is your only source of income, they will usually issue an appropriate “L” tax code as above. A letter from your accountant to the Payroll Inspector for the new limited company can often speed up this process.

Thursday, July 26th, 2012


I have 2 jobs a part time job which I have kept and now a full time job. Should I use my tax code on my main job and change the one on my part time job. If so how do I swap these over.

BR was used on my 1st wage from my full time job.

Thursday, August 2nd, 2012


I recently started a new job after being on Jobseekers for 6 months. I received my tax code of BR and when looking up online discovered that it is used when having a second job which I don’t have. Is my tax code wrong

Thursday, August 16th, 2012


I have been given time off from my full time job to work elsewhere for a few weeks so am on just one wage but my tax code is BR will I get a refund,as i only have one lot of earnings?

Tuesday, November 6th, 2012


Hi I recently started a part-time job, I have just got my 1st pay slip and my Tax code is BR, this is my only job, but I receive a Royal Mail Pension og 6,988 per year, is this classed as a second job, will I be getting a rebate ?

Wednesday, April 24th, 2013


Have just retired from the army and get £11,000 pension, new job is £14,100 for 37.5 hours and if I do any overtime I now how to do it through a bank agency which pay me separately. How do I stand tax wise as this is a 3rd income.