My circumstances have not changed, why has my tax code changed from 647L to 243L? And what do the tax codes mean?

Wednesday, January 5th, 2011

I am a student working full-time for my placement year at university.
I have not changed address, am an English citizen and just received my first pay cheque for 2011 - I have paid half of my income for this month with the tax code 243L...

I need to a) change back my code if i can and b) figure out the reasons for it changing and claim back the money

Saturday, January 8th, 2011


You can contact your local tax office and ask them why they have changed your tax code.

Sunday, January 9th, 2011


This was not very helpful.
I would have liked to know what the tax codes are, and I also know that the tax office can answer these questions.

Wednesday, January 12th, 2011


Sam: I am sorry but without knowing your situation it is hard to say why your tax code has changed. That’s why it may be better to speak to the tax office who can tell you the reason they changed your code.