I'm student, and i'm working 2 part time jobs, the first one they don't tax me, but my 2nd job they tax me on code BR, shall claim my a return tax?, my total income is over 6280£. thx

Saturday, May 8th, 2010

I'm not from UK,and I'm working as student

Monday, May 10th, 2010


Your second job you should be on an emergency tax code (BR Tax code).

At the end of the tax year you should get a P60 for both jobs if you are still working for them on the 5th April. When you get your P60 or P45s you can check to see how much tax you have paid in the year and calculate if you are due a tax rebate.

If you earn under £6,475 you should pay no tax at all. If you earn more you may be due a refund.

Sunday, May 16th, 2010


Hi I’m 18 year old, full time student and I want to start working 16 hours for a part time job. My parents get both housing benefit and tax credit so I was wondering that if I do start working, are either of these effected? And do I have to let Inland Revenue know?
Thanks in advance

Sunday, May 16th, 2010


Your parents will need to talk to the people that provide the benefits and let them know about the situation.

Tuesday, June 15th, 2010


Im a student with a part time job where i work 7 hrs but im starting another one this week. im just wondering will it be worth my while or will i be taxed. my income from these jobs should be about £3400 per annum.

Wednesday, June 16th, 2010


If you only earn £3400, you will be able to claim back any tax that you have paid. Anyone that earns below £6,475 can claim all their tax back.

At the end of the tax year you will be given a P60, when you have this we can help you make your claim. All you need to do is apply here:


Tuesday, July 6th, 2010


I am a full time student with 2 part time jobs.

In one job I get taxed at 20% every 2 weeks earning £5520 per annum before tax, should I get taxed on my other job where I earn £4056 per annum approx before tax?

Tuesday, July 6th, 2010


If you have a second job you are usually automatically put on an emergency tax code which means that you pay 20% tax on all your earnings. This can often mean that you end up overpaying tax.

When you have your P60 you can make a claim for a tax rebate. It sounds like you did not receive your tax free allowance and so will therefore be due a tax rebate.

You can claim by going to:


Sunday, July 18th, 2010


Hello, I am finding it difficult to find a full-time job. I have been out of work 4 months, I have always worked 35-40 hours a week, and claimed WTC.

Could I have 2 part-time jobs, say, amounting to 32 hours a week, and could I still claim WTC, for these 2 jobs. If I could not claim these WTC, I just do not know how I will manage, they make all the difference to my finances and bills etc.

Saturday, October 23rd, 2010


i work 22 hours a week can i get w t c

Sunday, January 9th, 2011


Hello, I am student and I have 2 part time jobs with total working time is under 20 hours per week(the first job is around 5 hours, the second job is around 11 hours). When i got my pay slip of the second job, it showed that I have to pay tax with tax code is BR. I do not know whether I have to pay tax when I work under 20 hours per week or not. And if i still have to pay for tax, can i change the tax to the first job?

Wednesday, January 12th, 2011


Jesien: Your second job should be taxed at on a BR tax code.

Saturday, January 22nd, 2011


I am working part time as a Healthcare Assistant. I started another job in December in a coffee shop full time. Someone told me that i need to fill out a form because I’m working 2 jobs.

Could you tell me which form to fill out and who to give this form to?

Thank you for your help. I was not aware before start another job that i had to do this.

Saturday, January 29th, 2011


i work 32 hours and am in full time education do i pay tax ?

Saturday, January 29th, 2011


debbie: It does not make a difference if you are in full time education. If you earn above the tax free allowance (currently £6,475) you should pay tax.

Thursday, February 3rd, 2011


Hiya, my daughter works 12 hours a week part time and for the last 3 months she been taxed,she has earned under the £6475 fresh hold her wage slip says she has taxable earning off £6,173.81? Annual salary of £3,857.10? We have spoken to the tax office and we dont seem any further forward.. Help.

Thursday, February 3rd, 2011


Mark: If she earns less than £6475 between April 6th 2010 and April 5th 2011 she would be able to claim all her tax back.

At the end of the tax year she should get a P60, when she has this she can make a claim.

Saturday, February 26th, 2011


Hello ! I’m a part-time student and I’m working 39 hours/week starting with February 2011.
Could you tell me more about how can I pay tax ?
Thank you for your help!

Monday, March 7th, 2011



I am the full-time student.

Can I work 40 hours per week?

Thank you

Friday, March 18th, 2011


im a student and ive got two jobs, which has cause me to be taxed by both. as its coming to the end of the tax year i was wondering how i get the tax ive been paying back?

Monday, June 6th, 2011


Hello – I’m a full-time student. I recently got a new p/t job but as I wouldn’t be paid for 6 weeks, I kept my existing job so I had money to keep me going. I was taxed in my first pay cheque (tax code was BR), and I’m confused about whether I’ll be able to claim it back. My new job is 12 hours a week. My old job (I have since left) was 8 hours, but as soon as I took on the new job I reduced my hours to 4 p/w, giving me an overall total of 16. Do I have a leg to stand on?!

Also, I’m struggling to get my p45 from my old job – how will this affect my earnings for next month? Will I be taxed if I’m no longer working there?

Thursday, June 16th, 2011


I will be studying full time course. I am a single parent and working part-time. I’m eligible for grants and tuition fee loan. Will it be enough of total benefits and grants if I will stop working or should I carry on with studying, working and looking after my 3 years old child? I don’t want to take the maintenance loan.

Thursday, September 22nd, 2011


im the same as the first comment 2 jobs student ect but earning much less and am definitely initial to a tax rebate…. how do i claim it back i have sent h&mr a letter explaining but there are so many forms on there website i don’t know which one to fill in…

Sunday, October 2nd, 2011


I’ll be earning £5980 a year working part time in a coffe shop, do my employer have to deduct tax from me every week, even though i’m earning less than £6475, I need the money i don’t want to wait 12 months for my P60 to get my tax back.

Thanks in advance for you reply.

Saturday, October 15th, 2011


Hi there,

I am a student earning way under £6475 a year at my current part time job. I also want to start another part time job somewhere else, but they are asking me for a P46 from my other employer.. will I get emergency taxed on this new job?!

Thursday, November 3rd, 2011


Hey i am a 18 year old student and i want to apply for a part time job, whats the maximum amount of hours i can work without getting taxed ?

Saturday, November 12th, 2011


Hi there,
i have a job of which i am contracted to 12 hours per week. I am on £3242.88 per annum should i be getting taxed 20% which i am doing???

Friday, December 2nd, 2011


I have part time job since beginning this year and my tax code 747l has been assigned to it. In November I started another job(full time) and my tax code for this new job is BR.
1: Can I swap tax codes around for next year?
2: Can I claim tax back after april if I paid too much when i sum both incomes and deducted tax?

Tuesday, March 6th, 2012


hi i work 35 hours and now i am planning to do second job 10/12 hrs per week how much tax i have to pay for my second job?

Monday, March 19th, 2012


Hi, I am a full time uni student with 2 part time jobs. Both are at £6.08 per hour, first job is only 2 hours a week, second job 8 hours a week. I recently recieved my first payslip from my second job and theyve deducted PAYE. Do I have to continue paying tax or can i claim a refund?

Sunday, March 25th, 2012



I’m 18 years old and I have two part time jobs. One is permanent, I am on a contract of 8 hours a week and get paid just over £200 a month and I am not taxed at all. However, I have recently started doing some temp work whenever available and I got taxed (code – BR) for a 5.5 hour shift at the rate of £7.50 an hour. Is this normal?

Sunday, March 25th, 2012


Hi there,

I am a full time student with 2 part time jobs. My first job is a seasonal job and it is not fixed when they call me. I worked just about 2 months last year and earned about £250. My second job is 24 hours a week and they cut my tax on the code BR. My total yearly income, including both jobs, would be less than £8105. Do I still need to pay tax? Please help me.

Many thanks.

Wednesday, June 27th, 2012


i have new job im a student 20 years of age. i want to get taxed for my second job not my new one which is my primary job which i get taxed PAYE (Tax code BR). i do 14 hours for my new job. and do less for my secondary job. how can i change which job i get taxed on? thank you

Friday, July 6th, 2012


I have a term time job at university where I currently dont pay tax due to being a student.
I am currently doing a summer job, where I think I am going to be taxed. Am I able to claim back tax if my total annual earnings are below the threshold or does this only apply to one job? Basically my question is do I have to pay tax on my second job?

Friday, July 6th, 2012


Hi I’ve been working part time for one employer for the past 3 years while in full time higher education. I’m still in full time education but now have another part time job. I’ve been taxed on the first, which is where I work most and hence earn more money. Should I be getting taxed on my second job? I thought you don’t get taxed unless you earn a certain amount. I also filled in a new P60 (I think – green?) before the start of work this season

Thursday, August 16th, 2012


Hi! I’m a currently a full time student I’m 19 years old and have recently left a part time job to start a new one , I haven’t collected my p46 as cannot get in contact with former employers, will I be taxed on this ? As I’m paid in two days

Saturday, September 22nd, 2012


Hi I’m currently 17 (going to be 18 in a few weeks) in full time education and i was wondering if i got a second part time job would i have to pay tax i will be earning way under 4000 a year maximum !

Saturday, September 22nd, 2012


Hi I’m currently 17 (going to be 18 in a few weeks) in full time education and i was wondering if i got a second part time job would i have to pay tax i will be earning way under 4000 a year maximum !

Monday, October 1st, 2012


Hi, I have a question if you could help me, Im working a temporary full time job- 35 hours a week and Im thinking of getting a 2nd job, which is Saturday 10 hours, how much will I be tax in total?
My first job earns about £341.95 and after tax and NI, I left with £283.54. My second job will be min wage an hour on Saturday, for 10 hours. How much will i be tax for my second job and also in total? I need to know if it is worth to get a 10hours jobs on Saturday, and if the total tax leaves me with lesser wages, probably ill stick to 1 job. Anybody could help me with this question?

Friday, October 19th, 2012


hello this is Deepakthapa from nepal and i amthe part time student and i am the student of IT can i work with u…..

Saturday, October 27th, 2012


Hi, I’m a full time student currently working about 5-10 hours a week but I am starting another job (Christmas temp) soon which is again only 10 hours a week. Will I have to pay tax if I keep both jobs? I only earn £5.59 per hour for both and they will be weekend jobs.

Sunday, November 25th, 2012


Hello I am a student from wales whose total income amounts to 6,270 pounds in this tax year so far. I work in sportsdirect and during the sammer I also worked for university, so for 4 months I had 2 jobs. During those 4 months I’ve been taxed for 600 pounds. In tax year 2012-2013 the personal allowance is 8105 pounds. If I my total income will ammount to 8050 pounds on 5th of April ,for example, will they return me the 600 pounds they took from my earnings during summer? My plan is to control my earnings so I earn a bit less than 8105 pounds but I want to make sure it works this way.
Looking forward to hearing from you

Thursday, December 13th, 2012


Hi my son is 16 full time education works part time 8 hours per week he lives with me and im getting family working tax credit will it affect me?

Friday, April 12th, 2013


Hi, I’m a full time student and work 9 hours and week. In my most recent pay check I got my yearly bonus on top of my normal pay and I have been taxed national insurance. I earn about £400 a month but this particular month I earnt £850 and have been taxed £30, basically just want to know should I have been taxed and if not how do I claim it back? Thankyou