I have not recieved a P45 or P60 from my previous employer for tax 09-10. How do i receive one? As i need it for a new employer?

Thursday, April 15th, 2010

My previous employer did not provide me with a P45 when i finshed working for him and i did not recieve a P60 either.. I need both of them to support me in my new job and with claims for working tax and child tax credits but can not get in contact with my previous employer. How do i get these?

Thursday, April 15th, 2010


P60′s for 2009/2010 will be given out shortly.

You should have been given a P45 when you finished working.

If you were not you can ask your former employer for a ‘statement of earnings’ on company headed paper. They must give you this if you request it by law and it is considered an acceptable replacement for a P60 or P45.

Thursday, April 15th, 2010


But what if they do not give me the statement of earnings?

Saturday, May 15th, 2010


I left my previous employer on the 20th March (and started with new employer on 25th March) 2010 and have still not received my P45 or P60 despite numerous requests. Need my P60 so can complete form for Working Tax Credit. Don\’t know what to do now?

Sunday, May 16th, 2010


am asking for my father, he worked in a pub and had his membership took of him meaning that he couldnt enter the pub he has wrote them a letter to outline his employment status as he wasnt fired,sacked redundant they just took his membership off him, he hasnt received p45 despite numerous phone calls or p60. this happened in january 4 months ago is there any thing that could be done i thought it was against the law not to provude p45?

Sunday, May 16th, 2010


Hi John,

They are required by law to provide the statement of earnings.

If they do not you can contact the governments Data Protection Agency, as you have a right to your own data.

Sunday, May 16th, 2010


Hi Anonymous1,

Why don’t you write to your previous employer and ask for a ‘statement of earnings’? This can be used as a replacement for a P60 or P45.

I hope this helps.

Sunday, May 16th, 2010


Hi Anonymous2,

You said that you dad was not fired. If he was not fired then he would not have received a P45.

If he is still officially working he should get a P60 between the 6th April and the 1st June.

If he still does not get a P60 by the 1st June, he can write to his employer and ask for a ‘statement of earnings’ which can act as a replacement for a P60.

Wednesday, May 19th, 2010


hi my employer does not want to give me P45! she is saying that she doesn\’t have to give me! is that right? what should i do?

Wednesday, May 19th, 2010


Hi Ewa,

When you finish working for your employer they are required to give you a P45.

Is there a reason why you need your P45?

If it is for claiming a tax refund, you can write to your employer and ask for a statement of earnings on company headed paper. Your employer would be required by law, under the data protection act, to provide this and this can be used instead of a statement of earnings.

If you need a P45 to give to a new employer, you can just use a P46 as a replacement, one can be downloaded from:


Thursday, June 10th, 2010

Nicholas Ernest leslie Carter

I wrote to HMRC, South Wales Area, Ty Glas, Llanishen, Cardiff CF14 5YA, requesting a P60 – Certificate of my Civil Service Pensionable Earnings for the year ending April 2010, but have not had a reply. Please pursue on my behalf.

Kind regards

Thursday, June 10th, 2010


Nicholas Ernest leslie Carter: The Inland Revenue will not provide you with a P60. You need to write to your previous employer requesting a ‘statement of earnings’ on company headed paper. This can act as a replacement for a P60.

Tuesday, June 15th, 2010


I have recently been made redundant (April 2010), i still have not recieved P45 and have never recieved a P60 whilst i have been at work. I need to know what im entitled to

Wednesday, June 16th, 2010


Rachel: Your employer is required to provide you with a P45 when you finish working for them.

Monday, June 21st, 2010

Mr Pier

Dear Sir/Madam

Please can you tell me what can i do if my old company refuse to give me the P45 and plus P60? can i act in legal way? can i report to the tax office?

Monday, June 21st, 2010


Mr Pier: You can contact your local tax office and tell them that your company has not provided you with a P60.

Monday, June 21st, 2010


I have been employed since October 2009, yet have only had one payslip, which was for October, but did not reflect my earnings. When I asked for payslips I was told there was a problem with the machine.(?) I haven’t received a P60, and last week gave in my notice as I just keep being fobbed off, and I have not been paid my last wages in full,( which has been a recurring problem but I was told was to be resolved in the new financial year). How can I check if tax and NI has been paid on my behalf? And what happens if it hasn’t? I will need to sign on while I job search, and am worried.

Monday, June 21st, 2010


Anonymous: If you were not given a P60, you can write to your employer and request a statement of earnings on company headed paper.

Thursday, July 1st, 2010

Rachel M

I sent a recorded delivery letter 24.6.10 to my previous employer requesting my P45 How long should I give them ?

Saturday, July 17th, 2010


I recieved a P60 but not a P45 from my previous employer. With my new employer I have been given the wrong tax code and H&M Rev. have told me they don’t have a record with my new employer, what can I do to ammend this and claim a tax refund?

Monday, July 26th, 2010


Hi I left my previous job and they have not given me a P45 I did not get a P60 in April I also have not had a final wage slip sent to me, I have repeatedly phoned them, I also asked them for all this in writting when I handed in my notice, I am not the only ex employee they have done this too.

Tuesday, July 27th, 2010


Erin: You can write to your employer and request a statement of earnings on company headed paper. They are required under the data protection act to provide this and you can report them if they do not.

Friday, August 13th, 2010


my previous employer went into liquidation in january 2008 i didn\’t get a p45 and i\’m still unemployed but not claiming benefits.i have no other income.
1/ do i still have to fill out an on-line tax return?
2/ should i inform either of the job centre/dwp or any other body of my circumstances.
3/ what should i do about my lack of p45?

Friday, August 13th, 2010


biggs: Unless you have other sources of income you do not normally have to complete a tax return if you are only in paid employment. You should always let the government know of any chances in circumstances that may affect any claims.

If you do not have a P45/P60 you can contact your previous employer and ask for a statement of earnings on company headed paper, this can act as a replacement for a P45/P60.

Thursday, September 9th, 2010


My employer will not give me payslips unless I beg & beg, I currently haven’t had one since March and I haven’t had a P60. When I asked again I was told they haven’t been done yet and they are working on them. As i earn commission on top of my salary I have no idea if I get paid correctly or not, my wages are always split and paid to me on different days every month so it makes it more confusing. What can I do?

Saturday, September 11th, 2010


Anonymous: You can ask for employer for a statement of earnings on company headed paper which will show how much you have earned and how much you have paid in tax.

Monday, September 27th, 2010


My old boss sold his company and the new owner kept us on, but the old boss has’t given us our p45 yet and when we phoned him to ask for it he said he didn’t have to give it us. Is this true? It’s been over a month now and we’re still paying emergency tax. What can we do?

Monday, September 27th, 2010


my new employer hasn’t given me a wage slip yet he says its because each wage slip costs 50p so he’ll only give me one a month but now its been 2 month

Monday, September 27th, 2010


anonymous: Do you need a P45 to give to a new employer. If so you can use a P46 .

Monday, September 27th, 2010


hello there,

i worked for an organisation and left after like a couple of years. A year later after leaving, it folded up. Now i need my P45 from the organisation, i don’t seem to have any idea of how to trace it or how to get a P45 (was not given any initially) or statement of earning, to claim my tax refund.

Wednesday, October 13th, 2010



I did not get my P45 from my previous employer. I asked him many, many times and still nothing.
Can you please tell me what should I do, I really need it??

Many thanks

Wednesday, October 13th, 2010


Gosia: What do you need it for? If you need it for a new employer you can give them a P46 instead.

Thursday, October 14th, 2010


I left my job at the end of February 2010 and started my new job in April 2010 but after the 2009/10 tax year ended. Who should have provided me with a P60 for the financial year 2009/10. My current employer or my previous employer?

Tuesday, October 26th, 2010


i was working up till december 2009 i was sacked then went onto jsa up until the end of april 2010 i have recieved no p60 form and need to get a tax rebate how do i get a p60??

Tuesday, October 26th, 2010


MK: You wouldn’t have got a P60, you should have been given a P45 instead though.

Tuesday, October 26th, 2010


jonny: You should have been given a P45 when you finished working, you would not have been given a P60 as you were not working on the last day of the tax year. Do you have your P45?

If not you can always write to your previous employer and ask for a statement of earnings which can be used as a replacement for a P45 or P60.

Wednesday, October 27th, 2010


This is a long one so bare with me:

In 2009 i signe dup for an agency called Pertemps based in Burton On Trent And was let go for a very stupid reason (Facebook Comment etc etc).Now this company is saying they have sent me a P45 through to me which i know is a load of rubbish because i never recieved it…..If they had sent me a P45 through would the Tax office know of this and have it on record and not require it….or if i hadnt been sent a P45 would they need one and have to send it to them (hope you Can understand that lol)

Im pretty much getting no where with this company and need it because im owed a significant amount of money in a tax refund

Thanks and hope for a speedy reply


Monday, November 8th, 2010


i left my previos job at 4/10/10,but till this time i didnt get my p45.i have a new job,so i have to provide my p45 to them.also i need p45 for my tax refund,for my benefits.who have to provide me p45? employer or tax office?

Tuesday, November 9th, 2010


bobdope: Why don’t you ask your previous employer for a statement of earnings on company headed paper. This can be used as a replacement for a P45 to claim a tax refund and they are required by law to provide this.

Saturday, November 13th, 2010


Hi there!

This is an Irish case but I suspect the law is very simmilar.My situation is as bad to Jonnys. I was employed until 30th od Dec 2009 and didnt recieve P45 until this day! My new employment started in the second week of Jan 2010,and so didnt recieve P60 either. And now it gets even more complicated because i moved to France 3 months ago and i need to get my Social Insurance Records from Ireland. The problem is I need to provide documents such as P45 from the last employer for the 2010, I got today so thats ok. But the secod document is P60 for the year 2009 and as I already said I don’t have it, neither the P45 from the last employer in the year 2009.What basically i need is some document showing my PRSI record to provide instead of P60. Can I use the last payslip of employment for the year 2009 or tax form P21(it doesnt state PRSI insurance records). The problem is I cant contact the employer for the statment of earnings on company headed paper as You adviced before to other people
because I’ve recently had a case with This Employer in front of The Work Rights Commissioner over the wages owed to me. Yet even after the law action I took I didn’t get P45 or P60. Do You think the Tax office can provide me with such documents? Thats their job isn’t it???
Thanks a million for a reasonable response :)

Monday, November 15th, 2010


Hi, I left my job on 05/10/2010 writing an emediate resignation letter. I haven’t received my wage slip for September. So I’ve asked them to sort out my papers and post them to me including my P45 as well cause I never get paid for the last 3 days in October and wanted to know how much did I earn this year. I started to work on next day (06/10/2010) and filled P46 which is not a problem. I still never heard anything about my wage slips and P45, so I’ve eamiled to the manager and sent a copy to the central email address as well. It was on 06/11/2010 asking what’s happening with my wage and my papers. The manager never opened the email but they opened the central one. Still no answer. I called them on 12/11/2010 asking the same question. They said the finance manager is not in. Now they want me to go into the office but I know (cause they did it with others) that it would be just wasted time and he wouldn’t be in. Now I am paying the basic tax wich is a lot more than it should be.
Where can I do? What can I do? It’s just a hopeless situation!
Is there any law to protect me not to go there? Many thanks

Monday, November 15th, 2010


so my current employer are very thorough with their referencing I had to contact the tax office to get exact dates of employment starts and ends yet it was all comlpetely wrong even suggesting I worked at 4 places at exactly the same time even though 2 places were over 100 miles apart (i must be magic to do that) anyway 2 companies i have worked for went bust and there is NO WAY i can contact them (as they dont exist anymore) to get statement of earnings on company headed paper, what else can i do? surely tax office should have correct dates on file anyway but if this is so how come they can mess it all up so badly?

Tuesday, November 16th, 2010


aggitated: The tax office will only have details if the company provided them with your tax and income details, this does not always happen. You may be able to use your pay slips as proof.

Wednesday, November 17th, 2010


I’ve got a problem to get my P45 from my previous employer.He said to me so he allready send it and i still waiting form the March.But i nedeed it because to claim for example Job Seeker Allowance.What should i do?

Thursday, November 18th, 2010


Boris: Please read the comments above about how to apply for a ‘statement of earnings’

Tuesday, November 30th, 2010


My contract ended prematurely in October as the company were experiencing financial difficulties. They have vacated their office in the UK and maintain only their centre in Sweden from which I can get no reply. Several UK staff are similarly affected and we don’t know what to do. I am owed over £1K in wages and I have not received my P45. The company are apparently in the UK equivalent of “administration” but plan to set up again next year. I am worrying that I may never receive what I am owed and also that I will have to explain to my next employer why I have no P45.

Wednesday, December 8th, 2010

The company went into administration P45

Hi, please could you advise how to get P45 when the company went into administration in Sept 2010 and nobody can tell me who will provide me with P45…Who shall I ask for it? thank you R.

Friday, December 10th, 2010


hi the company i worked for made me redundant on 25 th june and they have still not given me my p45/ p60 and my last wage. but tax was taken from my wages on a monthly basis. what do i do

Thursday, February 3rd, 2011


My previous company went into administration
and as I need my P45, I have asked the current owners who are dealing with it for the statement of earnings (this was 6 weeks ago) and they are still claiming that: “As explained previously, we have approximately 150 boxes in storage relating to the Company. The box that I called back from storage in order to obtain a copy your P45, did not contain this information”
Please could you advise me what should I do now?

Many thanks in advance


Thursday, February 3rd, 2011


Andrew: Maybe try telling them that you do not need a copy of your P45 you need a statement of earnings on company headed paper. They should and are required to keep a copy of their expenses so should have this information.

Friday, February 11th, 2011


My employer never gave me my p45, when asked for it they kept saying they would send it out but never did. I got my solicitor involved and he sent them a letter, within a couple of days they sent me a photocopy of my P45, and also saying on a letter to me and my solicitor that they had sent me out my p45 months ago (which most definitely never happened), is there a reason as to why they would want to hold onto my p45 without me working there

Thursday, February 24th, 2011


I have a similar question to the others, I left a job at the end of July 2010 on code 647L I then worked for another company for 3 months, got P45, Joined another company and left 31st Jan 2011 again with a P45. I have been on BR from August last year. I have been unemployed since 31 Jan 2011, would I be entitled to a tax refund? Im hoping to get a job this week so would my last P45 be sent off and would any refund be paid to me in my wages, Thanks in advance. Chris

Friday, March 18th, 2011


Could you please help..
I left my job a few months ago, i was claiming jobseekers after i left this job. I need my p45 as i was emergency taxed in this job so i need it to claim my tax back. They are saying the haven’t recieved it yet! is there anything i can do???

Tuesday, March 22nd, 2011


My mum was working for 7 years in a shop but then had operations on her legs and was out for 2 years on sick certs(she is 60). In the meantime the shop changed ownership and since then he has closed the shop. My mum is intitled to redundancy from the state but when she contacted the owner he said that he had never recieved her P45 from the previous owner. She has wrote to the previous employer and has tried to meet him, but he seems to be ignoring her. How does she go about getting her P45 as she needs it for our local social welfare??

Wednesday, March 23rd, 2011


hi , I was claiming contribution based jobseekers allowance for 6 months until december- I am not entitled to benefits due to savings being over the limit and have had no income since December- I had p45 from jobcrnyre in dec, I entitled to a tax rebate and who will provide my p60 as I’m not working or claiming benefit?

Sunday, April 3rd, 2011


Hi I have just started a job, tax credits have aked for for a PAYE no what is this and where do I get it many thanks

Thursday, April 14th, 2011


I was TUPED to my new employer last May, have only recieved payslips when I keep on at him. Now I’m having trouble getting a P60 off him which I need as I’ve had a letter from HMCR saying I owe quite a lot of tax.I’ve now recieved a letter to tell me I’m being TUPED over to another company, turns out to be the same employer just a new company name! I smell a rat!!!

Tuesday, April 26th, 2011


In recent weeks our company has changed our contracts fom one employer to another, both old and new did and will do our pay, should we have recieved a p45 from the previous in which we didnt recieve one but was asked to fill in a p46 for the new contract.
adding to this we did not recieve a payslip for our final month of working with the said old employer. will missing this slip have any effect on us or our p60? if we ever get one? make sense?

Sunday, May 15th, 2011


I received my new Tax code for 6th April 2011 to 5th April 2012 a few weeks before 5th April 2011. I forwarded my new Tax code to my agency but still have the old one on my payslip. I have contacted my agency but they claim it would take a few weeks. Is this true? Also, I started working with them from December. Should they not have sent me a P60 for the year ending 5th April 2011? All feedbacks will be greatly appreciated.

Saturday, May 21st, 2011


I quit the job in March and my employer gave me the P60 but I’m still waiting for the P45.I sent them many emails asking for it but they ignore me. I have to go back to Spain in late June and I don’t know if I’m going to need it to make some paperwork before my leaving.What can I do?

Wednesday, May 25th, 2011



I have requested a statement of earnings from my previous employer , how long should i wait before i report them for not giving it to me ?

Saturday, June 11th, 2011


I received P45 from previouis employer.
In P60 from my new emplyer it only shows income from this emplyment(new employer).

Should I adjust tax for old emplyer on basis of P45 or old emplyer suppose to give separate P60?

Please note, I have contact an accountant and per him,P60 should be 1 and reflect all income for that yr no maater from how many sources and adjust my previous emplyer Tax.Is it right?

Appreciate if you respond.

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011


I worked for one company April 2010 Till March 2011 and a new Company from April 2011 should I get 2 P60 or just the one? I have recieved a P60 from my new employer but I only shows what I earned with them!!! Please Help as I need to do my tax returns

Monday, June 20th, 2011


My employer hasn’t issued P60′s to anyone for the last 3 years.
I have repeatedly asked & begged and am now desperate as I need to apply for a mortgage to move house.
I know it is against the law and have telephoned the tax office who don’t seem interested and just keep saying ‘ask your employer’
Surely there must be someway to enforce the law?
Very angry

Wednesday, July 13th, 2011


REDUNDANCY PAYMENT :- the company i worked for from 1998/2010 went into liquidation and i claimed redundancy pay.now as im unable to work through a illness and im trying to claim ESA i have been told by ESA & TAX OFFICE they have no national contributions been paid for me for 2009/2010.i also never recieved a P60 as the company went bust in march 2010 before these were issued? also found out the company i worked for set new buisness up in new name in dec 2009 .this look’s odly suspiciouse to me and im wondering if my redundancy was paid to me from my nation contributions that was been taken from my wages .any advice would be great thanks

Wednesday, July 13th, 2011


ive been informed after a company i worked for from 1998/2010 went into liquidation that my national insurance contributions have not been paid for 2009/2010.Would my redundancy i recieved of been paid from my national insurance contributions .any answer would be helpful

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011


I have just handed in my letter of resignation but because i have only gave them 2 weeks instead of the 4 weeks they ask for they are telling me that they will not release my p45 unless i work the 4 weeks. Can they do this

Friday, November 18th, 2011


I have been working for the same company for nearlly 3 years now! I have not recieved any wage slips or p60′s? What should i do as i am hoping to leave?

Tuesday, December 13th, 2011

jrp 100

i stoped working fore trebbors in 1984 i took my pension as a lump sum got taxed no p45 compony siad afrter all these years no p45

Friday, January 6th, 2012


I’ve never had a payslip or a p60 for 8 years I work for my dad and th company went into liquidation in August. I’ve written letters, emails, made phone calls etc for the last 5 months requesting my p60 or the information. I’ve had nothing and keep getting told I’ll get it but never do. I was even told that the account had my p60. Please help as I need to claim working tax and I can not provide the information they need.
Many thanks

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012



my previous employer, who I worked for since May 08 to October 09, did not provide me with a p45. I have now received a letter from HMRC requesting forms P45 Part 1A.

During my working period, I seldom received payslips. (I have 3 payslips). Also from June 09 to October 09, I did not receive any payment. I have no way of contacting my previous employer, he has moved away and the company is now closed.

Not sure what to do…. what will my liability be? I can prove I have been paid on my bank statements.

would be grateful for any assistance.

Wednesday, February 8th, 2012


Hi I worked as a waitress for around 6 months as PAYE and when I stopped working there I did not recieve a P45 or P60. I have not worked there for over a year, I then worked as a lifeguard but did not recieve any shifts as I was casual staff I now work in the city under a permanent contract and I am on quite a high tax code. I have never recived a P45 or P60 for the waitressing or the lifeguard work could this be the reason I pay so much tax?

Thursday, February 16th, 2012

Tony J

I had been working for a firm since november 2011 and got told to take a day off in the midle of january, I have called and called since and i have just been blanked, I have been knocked for a days money, no pay slips at all and no p45. I dont know where to turn to? Thank you in advance

Monday, March 5th, 2012


I have been suspended from work since 15 of october 2011.I have been on sick leave since 20 of novemeber 2011 and sill on sick till 20 of march 2012.I want to stop my sick and back on suspuncion pay. Also I Have been waiting for court hearing, my case in court has been adjourned untill 08/05/2011.My represantative of unison said to me that i probobly do not get my P-45.I would like to ask you what can I do- i work for company for 6 years.this make me stress and depressed, thank you.

Thursday, March 8th, 2012


i was made redundant on 10/8/11 after many phone calls i recieved my p45 to find that whilst i was working for them they had changed the name of the compony i have still not received a p60 how do i go about claiming a tax rebate as i paid quite a lot in the 6 months that i worked there

Monday, March 12th, 2012


I left my job about 6 weeks ago and have recently got a new one. my new job is now saying they need a NI card, p45 or p60 as proof of my national insurance. i unfortunately do not have my national insurance card and my previous employers have still not sent me a p45 which i desperately need for proof that i can work otherwice my contract will be cancelled. surely they should have sent me one within the 6weeks and do i go to them or the tax office about getting one?