How far back can the Revenue claim unpaid tax

Wednesday, April 7th, 2010

Wednesday, April 7th, 2010


Generally, the Inland Revenue will only look at the past 6 years when reclaiming any unpaid tax.

However if the Inland Revenue suspects fraud has taken place, then there is no time limit on how far back they can investigate.

Monday, October 25th, 2010



I am on a NT tax code and am not paying any tax. I went bankrupt 2 years ago and I know they stopped the tax but I called the tax office and they told me it would be ammended by the next tax year but that was back in april and it still hasn’t changed. my gross pay is £1447.29 per month. My deductions are £106.84 for NI, £172.05 for CSA, £1.00 fee and £11.50 UNISON which leaves me with £1155.90 NET PAY. The only other income I recieve is £531.44 housing benefit, although I was recieving my son’s child benefit which is about £80 per month but has been suspended since March as my ex wife is trying to claim this back and we are currently in process of residency court hearing in the family courts and are waiting for the final hearing. My rent is £900 for a 3-bedroom house. I share the care of my son 12 and daughter 10 who currently only stay 1 night a week because of an interim residence order in favour of my ex. After paying my rent and all my other household bills and car bills plus a contribution of £86 per month for legal aid, I have very little left to live on and that’s with paying no tax. Is this the reason the tax code hasn’t changed or will I receive a huge tax bill soon? if so i will not be able to survive. I have a partner who lives separately and is hesitant about moving in with me. She works for a low wage and has a 6 year old daughter and is worried that moving in with me will make us both even more worse off! What’s worse is that my job for the NHS is in jeopardy and I may be made redundant but the prospect of not working and recieving more benefit is unfortunately a rather appealing one as we would be much better off. My ex wife doesn’t work and never has, she has a partner who doesn’t live with her (officially!) he also doesn’t work, they have another 2 children together and they earn over £30,000 a year in benefit including a whopping amount DLA and carers allowance for my daughter who has a learning disability yet she spends none of that money on my daughter and I pay for lots of things for her including special needs clubs and home tuition. My ex and her partner both smoke, drink, gamble and still manage to buy lots of other luxuries together. It just makes me sick that my partner and I work hard but live on the breadline and struggle to provide for our children. The country’s benefits and tax system is a joke (that’s putting it nicely!!!)

Friday, November 5th, 2010


I would like to know if I can claim my state tax return from 1997 from North Carolina

Saturday, April 2nd, 2011


I have a property that I rented out recently but did not consider the tax aspect of it henc i have been a bit remiss over it . How is it worked out do I pay tax on what is left after the mortgage and insurances have been paid (approx 3100) or do I pay before anything is deducted. And if I explain my mistake (genuine) will the inland revenue expect me to pay arrears in one lump sum which I could,t afford or would they accept instalments, or just take me to court for tax evasion !!

Thursday, November 24th, 2011

Ken Palmer

I went self employed 4.5 years ago. I got behind with paperwork and didn’t file a tax return. As a result when it came to filing next years return I buried my head in the sand. Now 4 years later still not made a return or paid tax

I do have enough cash I think to pay the bill and I know it will be substantial – I suspect £100K plus

How do I go about coming clean

Monday, March 26th, 2012



Probably a bit late now but you need to get yourself an accountant and they will help you sort it all out.

Thursday, August 16th, 2012


I’ve just finished paying back £ 2000 under payment of tax through an adjusted tax code during the last financial year & am now back on 816L. Unfortunately they have discovered more under payment of around £ 1500 & was told my tax code will be adjusted next year. However in the mean time my place of work,a hospital, overpaid me for a year & I now find myself having to pay back £100 over the next 45 months! I am very worried about next year & having to pay back both because I won’t be able to make ends meet. I’m struggling now & with no pay rise in 3 years I’m constantly worse off! Do you have any ideas to makelife

Monday, October 1st, 2012


i did 2 weeks work in holland where i paid local tax,i received a P45 at the end ,do i need to be self assessed?

Monday, March 18th, 2013


Hi, the revenue has sent me a letter saying I owe them £917 from 2004 / 2005 tax year. Can they do this after 8 years!

Wednesday, May 1st, 2013


Hi I have two properties that don’t give me any profit but I didn’t realise I had to submit to my accountant for tax purposes? I’ve had them for about 5 yrs please help