Tax Articles

Tax Rebate Forms

Tax Rebate Calculator

Income Tax Calculator

Tax Refund for Foreign Workers

According to the Daily Telegraph, over 2 million foreigners are now working in the UK, which is a 75% increase in workers from abroad in the last six years. Our tax agent answers some of the most common questions on the subject. If you do not find an answer to your question, please send us an E-mail:

I am a foreign worker in the UK. Can I claim a tax refund?
If you are a foreigner working in the UK you will be able to make a claim for a tax refund. Everyone that is a resident and works in the UK has a tax free allowance (in the 2009/2010 tax year this was £6,475). Your tax free allowance is usually paid out proportionally throughout the year, so that you receive part of the allowance in each pay packet. If you enter or leave the UK part way through the year, you will not have received your entire tax free allowance and therefore you will be able to claim a tax refund.

Will I be able to claim all of the tax back that I paid?
This will depend on how much you have earned and how much you have paid in tax in the year. If you have earned less than your tax free allowance (£6475 in the 2009/2010 tax year), you can claim back any tax that was taken from your pay from HMRC. If you have earned more than your tax free allowance, you will still be able to make a claim but the amount you receive will depend upon your total income and the total already paid in tax.

How can I calculate my tax refund?
We have a tax refund calculator on our web site. You should be given a P45 or P60 from your employer. When you have this document, input the figures for tax and income into the calculator and press ‘calculate’. The calculator will then work out an estimate of your tax refund.

I was not given a P45/P60; can I still claim a tax refund?
Yes. All you need to do is write a letter to your employer’s payroll department asking for a ‘statement of earnings’. A statement of earnings is a sufficient replacement for a P45/P60 and can be used to claim a tax refund.

I was a foreign worker in the UK more then 2 years ago, is it still possible to claim?
Yes. If you worked in the UK anytime within the last 6 years, you are still eligible to make a claim. Try and find your P60/P45 and make a claim before it is too late.

How do I claim my tax refund?
There are two ways to claim your tax refund. You can make a claim yourself or you can use a tax refund agent to help you make a claim. If you are a foreigner making your tax refund claim yourself, you will need:

  • Any P45/P60′s
  • A P91 – Employment History form
  • P85/P86 – Leaving/Entering the UK forms
  • Covering Letter

You will need to find which tax office was dealing with your pay and tax and then send the above documents to them.


Andre - Monday, May 24th, 2010


Iwork in Uk from 2000, and i still working, can i claim my tax refund keep working?

TaxFix - Monday, May 24th, 2010

Andre: You can check to see if you are due a tax refund when you get your P60 with your tax refund calculator. If or when you do leave the UK you will almost certainly be able to claim a tax refund then.

Marin - Monday, June 14th, 2010

I am a foreign worker in the uk.I have been working here for 8 years.I will leave the uk in september and I want to know if I can get all the tax and NI contributions i paid during my work here.

TaxFix - Monday, June 14th, 2010

Marin: If you are leaving the UK you are entitled to claim a tax refund. The furtherest back you can claim a tax refund is 6 years. The amount of your refund will depend on how much you have earned in each tax year and how much you have paid in tax. When you stop working you will be given a P45, when you have this you can make your claim by going here. We do offer a NI rebate service, however this can only be claimed if you are living and working in the UK.

K V Thorat - Monday, June 21st, 2010

Hi there,

I worked last year in a company and I have got p60 form from them when I was on student VISA but I don’t know what should I have to do to get the TAX back and what’s the procedure. I am working now in a lab which is my second job in Uk since 6 months and I am having PSW VISA now. Will you please guide me to get the both the tax claims?

TaxFix - Monday, June 21st, 2010

K V Thorat: If you have your P60 we can claim back any overpayment of tax for you, all you need to claim your refund do is apply here.

Jamal - Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010

Hello, I am about to submit a tax refund application with Tax Fix,within the next 2 weeks. How long will it take for to be concluded from submitting the application to receiveing the refund?

TaxFix - Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010

Jamal: Refunds usually take between 4-8 weeks once we have all your documentation. There is no set time, as it depends on the Inland Revenue issuing the refund, and each tax office has different back logs. I am sorry we can not be any more precise.

Nick - Thursday, June 24th, 2010


I left the UK in 2007 and applied for a tax refund through the company I worked for. Nothing ever came of it and I want to pursue this again. I only have copies of my statement of earnings, what else do I need to start this process? I am also not sure which office or area to submit my application to.

TaxFix - Friday, June 25th, 2010

Nick: A statement of earnings can be used as a replacement for a P60. We can submit your claim for you if you like, all you need are your statement of earnings, and to complete our online tax rebate application.

Romain - Tuesday, June 29th, 2010


I will leave the UK in few weeks and claim my tax. Will I be able to come back for work in the UK after that? How long?

TaxFix - Wednesday, June 30th, 2010

Romain: Claiming a tax refund does not affect your eligibility to work or come back to the UK.

Tina - Monday, July 5th, 2010


I have been working in the UK since 2005 first as a full time employee and then from Sep 2009 as self employed. Would I be eligible to claiming anything? I don’t know if it makes any difference to my status but I have also bought a house here.

Thanks Tina

CJ - Wednesday, July 7th, 2010


I have been working in the UK for the last 13 years and will be leaving at the end of the year. Can you tell me how this works, will need to submit all my p45′s etc for the last 6 years and how do you work out how much I can get back?

Thanks very much!

Kind regards,


TaxFix - Wednesday, July 7th, 2010

CJ: When you finish working in the UK you will be given a P45. When you have your P45 you can make your claim by applying here.

joe - Friday, July 23rd, 2010

hi, im a student here in the uk and working at same time as part of my nvq’s, can i still make a refund of my NI when i will be living the UK this coming September? thanks

TaxFix - Saturday, July 24th, 2010

joe: If you are living and working in the UK you can claim back a portion of your National Insurance into a private pension, this is known as contracting out of the state pension. If you leave the UK you can also claim a tax rebate. When you finish working you will be given a P45 when you have this you can claim your tax rebate here.

Anonymous - Wednesday, July 28th, 2010

I am a foreigner and I’m working last 3 years, can I get refund both tax and NI contribution. Also let me know please still working this country.

TaxFix - Wednesday, July 28th, 2010

Anonymous: Yes, if you overpaid tax you can claim a tax rebate by applying here. We do offer a NI rebate service through our parnter where you can reclaim a portion of your national insurance contributions, you can read more about this and apply here.

Rose - Monday, August 2nd, 2010

I am working in the Uk since 2005 as a work permit holder, ii have been granted my settlement visa since last June 2010. I would like to enquire if I can claim for a tax rebate?do inland revenue gave different tax codes for foreigners and UK reisdents? please help me, im waiting for your reply. thanks

TaxFix - Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010

Rose: Foreigners and UK residents are given the same allowances usually. If you want to check if you are due a tax rebate, you can use your P60 and our tax rebate calculator.

Anonymous - Monday, August 9th, 2010

I am a foreigner planning to leave the country for good. can i have all my tax contributions from the day I started working here up to present? how about my insurance? thank you.

TaxFix - Monday, August 9th, 2010

Anonymous: If you are a foreigner leaving the country you can claim a tax rebate. The amount of your tax rebate will depend on how much you have earned and how much you have paid in tax during each of the tax years that you have been in the UK. When you have finished working in the UK your employer should provide you with a P45. When you have your P45, you can claim your tax rebate here.

Peter - Wednesday, August 25th, 2010

I would like to ask you a few short questions.
1.- I have been working in the UK since August 2007. Now, I’m starting a full time graduate program. Can I claim a tax rebate for every single year I have been in the UK (2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010)? 1.- 2.- Does it matter the country I am from? Is it the same being from a EU country as being from Luxembourg or for instance Japan?
3.- In case I would decide to go back to my coutnry, why does Inland Revenue need to know which country I’m going?
4.- I know how to get the P60, P45 and P85. However, where can I get the documents P91 and P86 from? I guess you also need these documents.
5.- Can I only claim a tax rebate/refund if I’m about to leave or I have left the UK?
Many thanks

TaxFix - Wednesday, August 25th, 2010

Peter: In answer to your questions. Yes you can apply for a tax rebate for all those years, the amount will depend on how much you have earned and how much tax you have paid in each. It does not matter what country you are from, you can still make a claim. If you are claiming a tax refund with us, we can complete your P91 and P86 for you, all you need to do is apply here once you have your P45/P60. You can make a claim even if you are not leaving the country.

Ian - Thursday, August 26th, 2010

So, based on what Peter said:
There is no difference between being a foreigner and being British in terms of claiming tax rebates. Is that correct?

Also, if my employer uses the correct tax code, there will be a few changes to get any tax rebate. Is that right? The changes to get tax rebates is if one is paying tax based a wrong tax code and if one stops working part way through a tax year.

Could you please kindly confirm the above?

Many thanks

TaxFix - Thursday, August 26th, 2010

Ian: That is correct. Foreign workers are more likely to return to their home country and therefore stop working part way through the tax year and hence be due a refund. Your eligibility for a tax refund boils down to how much you have earned in the tax year and how much you have paid in tax. Usually if you work a full tax year and are on the correct tax code it is less likely that you will be due a tax refund.

Andrea - Monday, August 30th, 2010

I’ve been working for 4 months in the UK. Although I haven’t got any national insurance number, can I claim part of my tax back that I paid?

TaxFix - Tuesday, August 31st, 2010

Andrea: To work in the UK you need a national insurance number. In order to claim a tax refund you will need your national insurance number. If you do not have one you can go the local job centre and apply for one.

Ram Prabhu - Thursday, September 2nd, 2010

I am from india and woking in UK from July 2010 and my assignment is maximum for 6 months. From our company they have deducted tax code as 65L. I have filled P46 form while i was joining here. The tax is not being deducted in fixed percentage in the last two months. If i am going to leave in november 2010 (5 months) will i be elgible for claim the total tax deducted? or any minumum tax needs to be paid?

Angeli - Friday, September 3rd, 2010

Hi there, I am a student working here but due to go home this December 2010 as my course will be completed already. Do I have to wait until after April 2011 before I claim my tax refund when i’ll be in my country already. Could it not affect my PSW Visa application in the future if i claim my tax rebate. Thanks and more power.

Jo - Monday, September 6th, 2010

In the list of forms that you stated one needs to have when claiming tax refunds, can you please tell me what covering letter is it that is needed?

Is it from my employer or is it one which is written by myself?

Thanks a lot.

Sandra - Wednesday, September 15th, 2010

I worked in the UK from Oct 1st 2006 to May 31st 2007 as a language assistant teacher. Because I still had a student status (sent by my university) I was eligible for tax refund. I had to pay some tax for my first month or two and supposed to get the money back at the end of my time in the UK.

I filled out the forms needed when I left but never got the money back for the amount I paid at the begining of the year as I had closed my UK account. I remember writing and asking for a cheque, but it never came.

I am now back in the UK and will be starting a new job soon. I have two questions:

1- is it still possible to claim that money back?or should I wait til things are sorted with my new employer? I have not signed a contract yet.

2- will I need a new NI number? I was given one at the time and have not used it for about 3 years

Sorry for the lenghty questions. Thanks for reply and/or any help you could give me.


TaxFix - Monday, September 20th, 2010

Ram Prabhu: If you are leaving the UK you can claim a tax rebate. When you stop working you should be given a P45 by your employer. When you have your P45 you can apply for your tax rebate here.

TaxFix - Monday, September 20th, 2010

Angeli: If you have worked in the UK and are going to leave you are entitled to claim a tax rebate. When you stop working you should be given a P45 by your employer. When you have your P45 you can apply for your tax rebate here.

TaxFix - Monday, September 20th, 2010

Sandra: Your NI number can still be used. The deadline for making a claim is 4 years, so we suggest that you apply as soon as possible for your refund to be reissued.

Minsun Song - Friday, September 24th, 2010

I’m studying English in UK and my visa is a student visa. I’m wondering whether I can get tax refund when I leave.

TaxFix - Saturday, September 25th, 2010

Minsun Song: If you have worked in the UK and leave the country you are eligible to make a claim for a tax refund. When you finish working your employer should give you a P45, when you have this you can claim your tax back here.

dave - Sunday, November 28th, 2010

if you work in uk and still live in uk would you get the tax refund being working for 8 years thanks

Arzu Uysal - Monday, December 13th, 2010

Dear sır or Madam,
I have claımed for the tax return over 2 moths ago altought I have been told that tax return money would be ın my account ın 10 days nonetheless I have not receıved any money yet.
I wrote a letter to have some ınformatıon about what ıs happen nobody has not replıed to me.
I don t know what to do ın this case please tell me what to do.
Thank you

TaxFix - Wednesday, December 15th, 2010

Arzu Uysal: You can call your local tax office that said you would be due a tax rebate, there should be a number on the letter they sent you. Sometimes rebates undergo extra security checks or there can be backlogs which cause delays.

Johan - Thursday, December 23rd, 2010

I am a student at UK, and I have a plan to buy a device in uk. can i claim for tax refund, because i am not british.

TaxFix - Thursday, December 30th, 2010

Johan: How much will you earn? If you earn under the tax free allowance you can claim back all of your tax. Also when you leave the UK you will be able to make a claim.

Misha - Thursday, February 10th, 2011

Hi there,
I tried to find out how much my tax return would be via the tax refund calculator and it showed me £0 for 2 tax years. How is this possible?

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 16th, 2011

Misha: Are you sure you are due a tax rebate? Not everyone is, you need to overpay tax to be due a tax rebate.

Roy Craney - Saturday, February 19th, 2011

I am a Australian citizen , howvere I have previously lived and worked in the UK.

Is it possible to still make a claim on taxes paid.

I lived and worked in UK from mid 1983 to 1986 for the one employer.

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011

Roy Craney: The deadline to make a claim has passed. You can view the deadlines here.

Jay - Tuesday, March 1st, 2011

I had been International student worked in UK since 2003. I never claimed any tax in this period(Sep 2003-Jan 2010. Can I claim all the tax paid during this period?

Jay - Tuesday, March 1st, 2011

I worked in UK from Sep 2003 to Jan 2010. I left UK for good in 2010. Can I claim all the tax paid during this period. And National Insurance as well.

TaxFix - Thursday, March 3rd, 2011

Jay: It depends on how much you earned. Normally it’s not all of the tax but usually you can claim a substational refund. When you stop working you are given a P45, if you have this you can make your claim here.

Rugile - Wednesday, March 16th, 2011


I am self employed here in uk for 8 years now. I had never had problems with tax return before. This year it’s a nightmare. I filled in online tax return form 10/04/10. Later in may I was inform that my refund was sent into may account, however has never apeared there. I called them few times and was told that they don’t know anything. I also sent them an online message…and nothing, total ignoration. Later I tried to log in into my online application but my password and user name were no longer valid somehow. Tried to call them once more and they couldn’t even find me in their system at all. In January I filled all documents once more. This time normal paper application. I have also added explanation and all the prewievs leters. I still am totally ignored. What would you suggest me to do?wait?

karim nower - Saturday, April 30th, 2011


I have a settlement visa and have been working full time since Dec 2010. I was getting taxed around roughly 11% until my last pay slip this April where I seem to be getting taxed the full amount of 22%.

Can you tell me as a foreigner living here with my British wife and child and working full time with a settlement visa – should I be paying 22% tax or was the 11% the correct amount?

Also will they try and claim tax back from me when I was paying at 11%?

Many thanks in advance,


singh - Tuesday, May 3rd, 2011

i am working in israel. am i eligible for income tax refund?

Martin - Wednesday, May 4th, 2011

Hi there,

I have been working in the UK since July 2005 to September 2006. Is it still possible to get tax refund ?

Thanks a lot.

billy - Monday, May 16th, 2011


i am a south african citizen living in south africa and has applied for finance in the UK.

Before this payout can happen i need a UK tax code. Is this possible, and if it is, what do i do to apply for this code.

Kuttappan - Thursday, June 9th, 2011


I was in UK for two months and earned less than £6000 and paid around £800 as tax & currently in India. Could you please clarify below doubts?
1. I have only a soft copy of my P45, can I take a print and send to tax dpt? Or do I need an original one?
2. P95, 86 and 85 are filled before I left UK but now my communication address has been changed. How could I update this?
3. What is the contact address to get a response? I ve sent a mail but no response.

Sijimon James

Jennifer Johnsey - Tuesday, June 21st, 2011

My daughter in law is returning to Thailand permanently after working here for about 7yrs.
Can she claim a tax rebate and National Insurance for all the time she worked in the UK?

judy - Wednesday, July 13th, 2011

if i working two years and now i want to study for master, could i get tax refund?

Yan zhou - Wednesday, July 13th, 2011

i have a PSW for visa,and want working two years,after that i will contiue for master in UK. if like this could i get the tax refund?

ola - Monday, July 18th, 2011

Can you please let me know where I can get these forms—————A P91 ,P85/P86 forms

pen yan - Saturday, July 23rd, 2011

i work in uk for nearly 5 years now my visa almost ran out i dont want to stay with this employment and want to leave the country can i claim my tax back and what i need to do ?

Jason W - Monday, August 8th, 2011

Hi i lived in uk for seven years from 1997 to 2004 what happens to my ni contributions can i claim these back as i will not be claiming the he old age pension. if so do you have a link to claim all ni contributions back. Thank you

Selma - Thursday, August 18th, 2011

How to get UTR number

Henry - Thursday, August 25th, 2011

I worked in UK for the last 6 years, now I’m going back home. I was paid over 12k each year. Question – can I return ALL the money that I paid in taxes in this country, every penny of it?

Sue - Tuesday, September 20th, 2011

I hold an aussie passport with a right of abode stamp to work in the uk. I have been paying national insurance contributions here since I arrived in 1996 and it’s likely I will be going back to oz in the near future.
Is it possible for me to claim part british state pension at retirement age if I have paid tax but am not british? Is it worth my while?

Alves de Sousa, Joaquim Manuel - Tuesday, September 27th, 2011

Worked at La Baita Restaurant, near belsize park underground station by the year 1984. Short period of time. few 5 months. Now work in a state school in Portugal.I wonder if I still had the right to have my tax back. I no longer remember my national insurance number nor even other numbers. Last house i lived at: 71, ridgeview road by totteridge, close to the northern line underground station

Would you mind giving Any answer to this question to the e mail

harry - Friday, October 7th, 2011

hi i am foreign student working in uk for 2 years?
do i get my tax refund?? i am planning to leave this
country.can you tell me the process please.

Brendan - Tuesday, October 11th, 2011


I left the uk a couple of yrs back and am looking into lodging a tax return. As i was moving to Canada before coming home I didn’t have a lot of bag space and have misplaced all paper work I had. So now all I have is my ni number. Is there any way for me to apply for a tax return? I was on a 2 yr whp.


Michelle - Monday, December 12th, 2011


I am a foreigner who recently worked in London on a temporary work visa (Tier 5), that is valid for 1 year. However I only stayed in the UK for 2 months.

I travel internationally for work doing a few months contract in each place,I have now left the UK and would like to know if I would be able to claim back the tax paid on the money I made during my 2 months there, as my earnings after tax and other deductions was not more than 2500 pounds…

I would really appreciate any advice on the procedures I should follow to do so.

Kind Regards

siga - Tuesday, December 13th, 2011

Hello, I have been working in UK in 2010 summer. After that i refund all tax and came back in my country. So, I have a question. I did not get any information about my tax, money did not come also. so may I come back and work in UK? I do not know now any information about agancy, which made all documents. Could you help me and tell me how is my situacion, please.

Farah - Thursday, January 12th, 2012

I have worked in UK and have claim the tax using P85 and it was successful. Can I still claim the tax from the previous year? And what about the NI, can I also claim a rebate? Appreciate your assistance.

Pippo83 - Monday, January 23rd, 2012

I worked in 2011 for 8 mounths and I lift Uk in december 2011. When I came back to my country I didn’t claim any tax refund. Now I’m going to move again in Uk. What if I come back to Uk? will I have the taxes back from last year? and if I claim the tax back from the last year can I come back to Uk again and what happen to my new tax code? will I pay more?
many thanks

kalip - Tuesday, January 24th, 2012

i was given P45 and P60 by my previous employer, but unfortunately i donot have any with myself.
i have been working with different employers since 2005, is there anyway i can get a copy of my p45/p60?please advise.

Deco - Friday, February 3rd, 2012

I’ve worked in England since 2003, I’m now thinking about leaving permanently, can I get any IN or tax back for all the time I’ve worked?

Sanjay - Tuesday, February 7th, 2012

If i worked in UK for 11 months and then return to my home country.while in UK I have paid tax on my earning. how much i can get as refund , as some one saying that if our duration is less then one year then all the tax deducted by Govt will be return .

Barbara - Tuesday, February 7th, 2012


I am currently working in the UK but plan to move back to Australia shortly. I am making state Pension contributions through my salary, but obviously won’t be living in the UK when I am at pension claiming age. I do have a private Pension fund that my employer contributes to. Is it possible to transfer the state pension which I have already paid out of my salary into my private fund when I leave?

masood - Wednesday, February 8th, 2012

I am on work permits for 5 years. and paid tax. i am going back. due to finish work permit Visa.can i claim my tax and N.I .I HAVE PAID.

Opoku Kwaku - Monday, February 20th, 2012

if you want to leave Uk for good what can you claim on your tax and pensions

Elena - Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012

I have worked in the UK for the last 4 years. I am also studying at university in England, but currently doing my year abroad in Spain.
Can I claim tax refund for those 4 years even though I will be returning back to England in July?
Thank you for your help.

Danielle O Sullivan - Thursday, February 23rd, 2012

I worked in canada during the summer of last year but have since left the country i was on a working visa how do i claim tax back from when i was there im a full time student in ireland does this mean i get more tax back?

Barbara - Wednesday, April 4th, 2012

I am a European foreigner, I have worked in Uk for about 2 years. In december I have left the country and last month I have claimed my tax refund with the p85.
Is it possible for me to go back to work in Uk now?
If not, how long should I wait?

Thank you for your attention

CESAR MS - Wednesday, April 18th, 2012

Good morning, I worked from 2007 to 2009 in Brigthon and London as well, then I returned to my native country, went to the revenue to p45 and p60 carry my my paylist additional, one year later send a letter to see what had past with my taxes, but so far I have not received any information or money. I can do in this case?

Mokondi - Saturday, May 19th, 2012


I would like to know If I would decide to come back to work in the Uk, should I return to the HMRC the money they give me as tax refund?


camilla - Thursday, May 24th, 2012

I’m italian and I worked at the Burger King in UK on late summer 1996 and 1999…now I live in Italy and I still have some pay slips but not all of them…
Is it possible for me to have back tax paid?…and how can I do it?
Thank you very much! :-)

Mo - Wednesday, May 30th, 2012


I will be arriving in the UK next month on a 6mth project (exactly 183 days) and will be leaving the UK after that contract. How much Tax can i claim back? Is there a way i can calculate how much i will be paying and how much i can claim back?


Moses - Wednesday, June 27th, 2012

I started working in the uk 15 years ago as a foreigner. 3 years later I became a uk citizen, can I make a claim for tax rebate for those years I was highly taxed as a foreigner?

Kesavan Rajaram - Thursday, August 2nd, 2012

Hello, I am foreigner worked in UK for 21 days in october 2008. I earned less than 200 pounds and My employer have not deducted any tax. I came to know recently that i am receiving letter from UK revenue department for not filing the tax return. Now the penalty is 410 pounds though there is no tax for me on my earnings. what should i do now?

Bilal - Sunday, August 5th, 2012

Hi…i worked in london and recently i left the london,,,after few days my friend got cheque of tax return,,which might be my company applied for my tax return on my behalf…now im not in london,,and i dont have bank account in london now…my friend receive the cheque on my name,,,im in pakistan now,,how is that possible for me to receive my tax return amoint,,??can i receive the amount of my tax return cheque in my pakistani bank account?? Or is there any possibility to transfer that cheque amount in my london friends bank account,,so my friend can transfer me later???is that possible???please help me with deatail answers,,,i would be very thankful to you,,,thanks

Rocio - Saturday, August 11th, 2012

Are the taxes for the National Insurance also refundable??


David Vilakazi - Sunday, August 19th, 2012

I have worked in the UK for 10year will I be able to claim my tax.
My wife has just reach her state pension age will she still be able to claim her tax as we intend going back to South Africa 3months to come.

Nas - Tuesday, August 21st, 2012


I am moving to the UK as the spouse of a british citizen. Will I be required to pay taxes if I am working as a freelancer there? Note here that I need 3 years to receive citizenship, and am therefore not considered a UK resident (correct?)

amanda - Friday, September 28th, 2012

I worked in the UK during 2009 but I didin’t claim any tax refund. I got back to my country in 2010 and now I just received a message from a friend that is still living in London saying that a got a letter explaining that I have money to receive from tax refund.
How can do to receive it, once I am back to Brazil? Who can get in touch to help me?


Manzoor ahmed - Friday, October 26th, 2012

iam from pakistan. iwas working in japan TODA Area since 1988 to 1994 can i clam my tax refund?

luis - Wednesday, January 9th, 2013

i work 6 years in uk,how much i can get from tax credit?

Carolina - Friday, January 25th, 2013

Hi, i have been working as part time since 2007. Apart from the taxes and NI contributions, is there any tax refund for the money invested in education? ( post graduate and btec diplomas) Also, i have worked for different employers, do i need the P45 and P60 from each employer or just the current one?

Many thanks,

Sarah - Tuesday, February 19th, 2013

So if I worked in the UK from 2005-2006 its to late to claim now as its past the 6 years??

TaxFix - Friday, February 22nd, 2013

Sarah: Yes, unfortunately it would be.

TaxFix - Friday, February 22nd, 2013

Narendra: Your eligibility for a tax refund depends on how much you earn in total during the year and how much you paid in tax. If you know these amounts you can check to see how much your refund would be, by using our tax refund calculator here.

Roman - Thursday, March 7th, 2013

Hi. I worked in UK more than 6 years, 2007-2013. I do not want receive a pension from UK. I would like to ask for tax refund for all years. I am going to work to Czech Republic. What I have to do, or what I have to ak for please?

Lucas - Monday, March 18th, 2013

Hello there!
I worked in the UK for the last 5 years and have left recently. Can I claim for all the years I have worked or only the last one (2011-2012)?

TaxFix - Tuesday, March 19th, 2013

Lucas: Usually the refund will be only for the year in which you leave the UK, though we can check for any overpayment in other years also.

TaxFix - Tuesday, March 19th, 2013

Roman: If you are leaving the country you can claim a tax refund. Usually the tax refund will only be for the year in which you are leaving the UK, it does not matter if you want to claim a pension or not. When you finish working you will be given a P45. When you have this you can make your claim.

Chrissie - Wednesday, March 20th, 2013

I worked 8 yrs in the UK until Jan 2013.I decided to leave the UK. I successfully claimed tax refund however the circumstances has changed and I have to return for work. I have P45 however awaiting P60 from previous employer.
Would this cause problem for ne when I return to the UK?
Your expertise mon the matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

TaxFix - Tuesday, March 26th, 2013

Chrissie: If you return to the UK and work before the start of the new tax year (April 6th), you might have to pay extra tax.

diana farkas - Wednesday, March 27th, 2013

I do not have any of the documents reguired to claim a tax refund but I worked in the uk for 3 years and payed tax my employer went bust so I can not ask for any documents what should I do ps I am from hungary

Atul - Wednesday, April 17th, 2013

Hi I came in UK on 20th March.. So how my Salary for 12 days of 2012-13 will be calculated. Is there any tax on it?

TaxFix - Tuesday, April 23rd, 2013

Only if you earned above the tax free allowance which was £8449. So if you did pay any tax, it is likely you can claim it all back.

manish - Thursday, April 25th, 2013


I worked in UK around 4 months in 2010 and then back to India.During period of 4 months total tax paid by me around £1600.I submitted my P85 and P45 to my employer in UK and they further sent it to HMRC. But till today I have not received any refund.

In form P85 I have mentioned the correct UK account number and NI number.But i left blank UTR field as that time I have not received UTR number.

I contacted my UK employer but they answered me to contact HMRC.

Please advise me is there any chance to get the all tax refund as my work and stay was less than 6 months.
Also please advise me how to process now if there is any chance to claim it back.


TaxFix - Thursday, May 2nd, 2013

manish: Have you tried calling HMRC? There could be a number of reasons why you haven’t got your refund. Maybe your employer did not send the forms off, or they did not process your application, or maybe they thought you were not due one. Once you establish this you can then decide what you should do.

Ushi - Saturday, May 4th, 2013

I have worked in the UK for 6 years and intend to return to Hungary in about 3 years from now, at that time will I be able to reclaim the tax I have paid here prior to returning to my homeland.

Lorena - Tuesday, May 21st, 2013

I want to come back to london but I clamed tax back…can I give back them and come back? if yes how??

Kees - Wednesday, May 22nd, 2013

Hi, I am divorced, working in Belfast and paying a monthly amount for my 2 children who live in Holland with their mother, I travel over every other week to see them. Is there a tax refund for this type of situation?
Kind regards,

TaxFix - Friday, May 24th, 2013

Lorena: It is now a new tax year so it is unlikely there would be anything to pay back.

TaxFix - Friday, May 24th, 2013

Ushi: Usually you will just be due a tax rebate for the year in which you left the UK, not the other years. When you stop working you should be given a P45. When you have your P45, you can make your claim here.

Mohammed - Tuesday, June 4th, 2013

I left uk for good and claimed my tax from hm revenue by enclosing my p45. Now if I want to return back to the same country then is there any hurdle?

TaxFix - Friday, June 28th, 2013

Mohammed: Claiming a tax refund doesn’t affect your eligibility to come back or work.