Tax Articles

Tax Rebate Forms

Tax Rebate Calculator

Income Tax Calculator

Reclaim Back Your Petrol Costs For Work

Does your employer ask you to make work related journeys in your own car or are you self employed and use your car for work? Often you can claim a rebate on petrol/fuel and other related travel expenses. We answer a number of questions below on claiming back tax on petrol expenses:

Can I claim back my petrol/fuel expenses from my employment?

This will depend upon your current circumstance. In the event that you are driving a vehicle supplied by your company then you won’t be able to make a claim. If however you are making use of your own personal vehicle then there’s a good possibility that you could make a claim for this expense.

How much should I be allowed to claim for business mileage for using my own car?

A tax refund on business vehicle usage will be worked out at 40 pence per mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25 pence for any additional miles subsequent to this. You need to remember to deduct any payment which you may have been given from your company for using your own vehicle from this calculation. So for instance in the event you travel 25,000 miles annually, you’d be eligible for petrol/vehicle tax relief of:

(10,000 x £0.40) + (15,000 x £0.25) = £7,750

What happens if my company has compensated me for driving my car?

Any compensation that you receive from your company needs to be deducted from the tax relief calculation. So taking the example above, if your company paid you £2,500 during the tax year to use your own car for work related journeys you would have an adjusted tax rebate of £5,250.

How do I calculate my petrol tax rebate?

Find the amount of your tax relief, using the calculation method above and then multiple it by your marginal rate of tax. If you’re a basic tax rate payer it will be 20%. So from the above example you’ll be eligible for a tax rebate on business mileage of:

£5,250 x 20% =£1,050

Is there a petrol Rebate Form to Claim my Mileage?

If you’re self-employed, you can just include the above any allowable work related expenses in your tax return. Remember to keep a record of the mileage that you have completed. Alternatively you could make an application for a claim with HMRC by submitting a tax return.

If you are self-employed can you claim for train fares to and from clients?

If you are self employed you can claim back the cost of any work related allowable expenses such as travelling between clients.

lisa bailey - Tuesday, January 11th, 2011

can I claim for petrol allowance going back to six years up to and including this year free of charge on forms and if so where can I obtain the forms? thankyou.I am in the care sector and am employed

Craig - Sunday, January 23rd, 2011

I have been informed that I can claim tax allowances for the mileage to and from work even though my employer pays me 25p per mile less a 9 mile contribution, is this true? I travel 100 miles a day usually for 5 days per week. If it is possible to claim, how far back could I claim?

steve w  - Monday, January 24th, 2011

because of the current climate,my boss no longer pays for diesel for travelling back and forth to work .I am p.a.y.e and it’s taking a big chunk out of my wages supplying my own fuel,and I use my own vehicle .they no longer supply protective wear and tools .I am a painter and decorator , my wages are not good, I need help ,please advice .

Jo Fialho - Monday, January 24th, 2011

Re : Fuel Mileage allowance.
Given the massive increase recently, when is the claimback allowance going to be reviewed

Adrian Osborne - Tuesday, January 25th, 2011

Since October 2010 my employer took my company I am now being forced to travel 70 miles a day in my own car to get to work (building sites) can I claim any help with these new costs.

pip - Thursday, January 27th, 2011

if you are self employed can you claim all your fuel back, including home to work?

TaxFix - Thursday, January 27th, 2011

pip: You can claim all allowable work related fuel expenses.

TaxFix - Friday, January 28th, 2011

Adrian Osborne: Tax relief can be claimed on business mileage. It can include travel to a temporary work place but it doesn’t include travel between home (or anywhere that is not a workplace) and your permanent workplace.

TaxFix - Friday, January 28th, 2011

steve w: You can only make a claim for business mileage for travel to a temporary work place and does not include normal travel between home (or anywhere that is not a workplace) and your permanent workplace. If you must pay for protective clothing (such as helmets, overalls, boots and gloves) yourself and your employer doesn’t reimburse you, then you are entitled to tax relief for the cost.

TaxFix - Friday, January 28th, 2011

Craig: Business mileage tax relief can not be claimed on normal travel between home (or anywhere that is not a workplace) and your permanent workplace.

Jenny - Tuesday, February 8th, 2011

I am being taxed through my wages on my mileage which is 3000 a month. I get 38p a mile but have been told that they have to tax me as I am on a fixed 1 year contract. I drive to my place of work then home.

Linda Henderson - Wednesday, February 16th, 2011

i work in aberdeen but live 20 miles outside the city so i travel 40 miles per day in my own car?
i am finding the fuel very expensive and i dont make a high salary as i am an office administrator for a recruitment company! can i claim anything back for petrol?

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 16th, 2011

Linda Henderson: Unfortunately you can not claim any tax relief for driving from your home to your place of work.

Su Jones - Saturday, March 5th, 2011

I became self-employed September 2010 and am not due to submit a tax return until January 2012. However, I use my car for work and would like to know if I can re-claim mileage costs (40p per mile) before 2012 and, if so, how should I do it? Is there a form to fill in perhaps?

Rachel - Saturday, March 5th, 2011

Hi I travel 80 miles per day from my house to work base. Would I be eligible?

Lyn C - Wednesday, March 9th, 2011

I am being paid 40p per mile for short business trips. Do I have to claim the tax back through an annual tax form?

p millward - Saturday, March 26th, 2011

I use my own van to get to site and my boss dose not pay me any fuel costs.can i claim my fuel costs back on my tax.I am paye employee thank paul

Mike - Thursday, April 7th, 2011

On behalf of Tax Fix – to all those asking the same type of questions.. YOU CAN NOT CLAIM MILEAGE / TAX ALLOWANCE ON YOUR VEHICLE IF YOUR DRIVE FROM HOME TO WORK AND VICE VERSA.

Only if you use your car to go to a temporary office/work location can you claim these miles.

If you live 40miles away, that is unfortunately your decision to live far from work. You can not claim for your journey to and from home/work.!!!

This includes if you are Self Employed or PAYE..

K Storrie - Thursday, April 21st, 2011

I have just came across your site and have been interested by some of the comments with regards to claiming tax back on petrol

Can you tell me if this just applies to you using your car for Business use or can you claim back tax on petrol travelling to and from your permananent place of work.

I await your reply

andy - Tuesday, April 26th, 2011

I am employed and have a firms van, i travel all over the country to different sites.I fuel the van myself,then get 13pence per mile after putting in an expenses form,I usually get the money back after 6 wks or so.Is there anything i can claim back.As it doesnt cover the cost of my diesel

AMANDA DANIELS - Saturday, April 30th, 2011

Dear Sirs,
I am hoping you can help. I started working for a care
company in
September 2009, I use my car and pay for my petrol. The
company do not
help towards petrol or anything so in April 2010 I
completed a self
assessment. I had done 11500 miles so did the calculation
10000 x 40p and
1500 at 25p and subsequently received a payment of £800.00
and my tax code
was changed to 1085L. This year I am doing the same I
have done slightly
more miles than the previous year BUT when I came to
complete the self
assessment it states I am only owed £43.20! Can this be
right? I realise
that my tax code for the previous year was 1085L but this
figure is based
on the mileage I did in 2009/2010.
My tax code for 2009/2010 was calculated based on the
figure I gave of
£4380.00 which was based on 11,500 miles, I received 20%
of this back and
the balance was added to my personal tax code of 647L.
(6475 plus 4380 =
I thought you could claim the mileage back every year and
get a lump sum
back and have the balance added to your tax code, is this
not right?
Please advise…
Many thanks and regards,
Amanda Daniels.

Danny - Thursday, May 5th, 2011

If i am using a company van ,but pay for all the diesel ,what rebate am i entitled to.

andrew calvert - Friday, May 13th, 2011

i use my car to get me to work .but do not use it in work time as get supplied a van .can i claim my petrol money back

mr c - Thursday, May 26th, 2011

after working my normal shift some times i am called out to fix a broken machine am i able to claim a petrol allowance for out of hours travel to my place of work ? we are not paid by our employer for the extra hours.

mr c - Thursday, May 26th, 2011

after working my normal shift some times i am called out to fix a broken machine am i able to claim a petrol allowance for out of hours travel to my place of work ? we are not paid by our employer for the extra hours.

Vicki - Monday, May 30th, 2011

I’m currently getting 35p per mile from my company as I work away from home and have to travel there and back each week. Am I eligible for claiming the additional 5p per mile and if so how do I claim and is it taxable?

marie a howard - Monday, June 13th, 2011

how do i claim my petrol back? what do i do. am i to late to claim it as ive filled in my tax return for next year.

Joe - Wednesday, June 29th, 2011

not sure if this has already been covered but can anybody answer how much I’ll physically get back from the tax office? I’ve put in a claim for approximately £280, do I get all of it back or do I get taxed on a tax rebate…

Thanks in advance

Kamilu - Tuesday, July 26th, 2011

I am working as a Security Office. I am working at different locations throughout Greater Manchester. Presently, I am travelling 40 miles (to and fro) of my present working place. My employer does not pay for my fuel.
Can I claim my fuel expenses back?

Paul Johnson - Tuesday, August 2nd, 2011

Do i need to submit my fuel receipts

mr m hammerton - Wednesday, August 10th, 2011

can i claim tax back for traveling to and from work by car as i work shifts and there are no reasonable public transport links between home and work

UNIQUE LEAFLETS - Thursday, November 3rd, 2011

Could you explain how we claim back for petrol usage against vat please.

Muzamil - Sunday, December 4th, 2011

I think the current system is extremely unfair. Paying everyone who is eligible 40p per mile is not the way to do things. The system should take into account the engine size of the car.
Obviously running a 2000cc car is going to cost more that running a 1600cc car, the system should take this into account when compensating business miles.

simon mulholland - Tuesday, December 13th, 2011

Hi my home to work is 240 miles there and back, which i do for two days of the week i drive down one day and then come back the next.I then work from home for the rest of the week. My employer agreed to pay for my fuel, but I dont know and no one seems to know here exactly how much i should be claiming. it seems every month theyre are unsure and change there minds as to how and how much. please help.

stuart - Wednesday, January 4th, 2012

i work for a company that i rent a van off as i am selfemployed i travell all round the country can iclaim my milage back

simon doole - Saturday, January 7th, 2012


Just wanted to ask, if i travel 25 miles buisness miles according to you calc it would be 25 x £0.40 = £10.00 then your allowance would be £10.00 x 20% as basic tax payer = £2.00 rebate does that mean as fuel cost £6.00 a gal its costs me £4.00 to use my car for buisness use.
Many Thanks

rob addy - Thursday, January 19th, 2012

i travell to work in my own car it is a total of 100 miles a day and i recive nothing from my company for this is there anything i can claim many thaks rob addy

A. - Friday, January 20th, 2012

I have to pay for the fuel to drive my company van on company business. I do not use the vehicle for personal use. There is a shortfall of nearly £90 in the amount I have paid out to what I have actually been reimbursed based on the company mileage rate. i.e. the mileage rate is insufficent & was below HMTRC advisory rates for several months. I have all mileage recorded & copies of all receipts. How can I recover this shortfall as my company refuses to acknowledge this issue?

Ray Dodd - Monday, January 23rd, 2012

I work for a teaching supply agency and have to travel using my own vehicle to countless places, I have been doing this for 6 years, I have been told I can claim some tax back, but how much? and for how long?

angela - Saturday, February 4th, 2012

after having the use of a company van we are now having them taken off us and we are to use are own cars i have to travel 21 miles there and the same back ive been told that i will only get an allowance of 4.50 i am going to be well out of pocket but have been told its tough its not only money i will be losing but its also the added wear and tear to my own car

Dawn Lock - Thursday, March 1st, 2012

Please Help!!
I have been using my own private vehicle having had to go on a course and then running errands, i have always been paid 0.40p per mile but this last month i have run up 403 miles, i put in my expense sheet as usual which states 0.40p per mile which should have totalled 161.20 but when i received my money it only totalled 100.75 meaning i was only paid 0.25p per mile, i was not told that i would be only paid this amount and have always been paid 0.40p is this legal????
Really not happy when i paid out up front for the fuel and now feel i have been ripped off.
Please Help

bob - Saturday, March 10th, 2012

The company I am employed by is moving and the distance I travel is changing from 7.3 miles to 19.9 miles each way can I claim tax relief on the extra traveling

Marion - Friday, March 30th, 2012

I started a new job which is office based and my employer has now started telling me to go and run courses around the South East when trainers are not available. I have to do this in my own car and she says she won’t pay for the first 50 miles I travel and after that at just 25p per mile. Is this correct? It doesn’t seem fair that as office based and having to travel around to runc ourses, I am paying the fuel and am out of pocket!

I confirm that I am on an annual salary (very low) and paid monthly.

Andy - Saturday, March 31st, 2012

can i claim fuel tax back if i use my car solely for work.

Candeice - Monday, April 16th, 2012

Is there a telephone number where I can speak to an advisor about claiming back for my petrol/mileage and find out what form I need to download and the cut off date for claiming back?

Cazzi - Wednesday, May 30th, 2012

I work 2 jobs and l don’t pay tax as l am under the threshold. One of my jobs l get travel expenses and use my own car to do my job, but just found out l cannot claim any monies back as l don’t pay tax and l am out of pocket especially with the petrol rises. ls there anything l can do ???

Cymro - Thursday, May 31st, 2012

I have just finished work for a large company. I used my own vehicle for travel and kept fuel receipts. I submitted these receipts only to be told that a handful of them would not be paid as they were not VAT receipts.

They clearly show the date, the type of fuel and location on them. This has left me well out of pocket (I’ve effectively done two free days for them). Are they entitled to do this, or is there anything I can do?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Kerry Linley - Tuesday, June 12th, 2012

My company pays me 40p per mile on work related journeys that I make (to meetings, visiting clients etc). Can I claim the additional 5p per mile (since 45p is the tax rate from 2011/12) from the Inland Revenue and if so can this be backdated to the date that this new rate came in to force?

Jamie - Friday, June 29th, 2012

Hi there. I see lots of people keep asking the same question about claiming for petrol money for travelling to and from your permanent workplace and you have repeatedly said no. Do you know if there’s an exception if the company choses to relocate and there is no mobility (may be wrong name) clause in my contract. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

James Morris - Tuesday, July 31st, 2012

I have two employees who are provided with Company vans. There are no taxable benefits attached to the vans as there is no significant private usage, but the employees pay for all their fuel for business usage.
I have been searching for confirmation that they are entitled to claim the business mileage rates of 45p & 25p(on a form P87)? Any guidance would be most welcome, including references to HMRC legislation/ Manuals!

Steve Manley - Thursday, August 9th, 2012

I am currently using my car to deliver care in people’s homes. I work for a company in the North East. I clock up on average 2/300 miles per week. Will I be able to claim mileage? And when must I may the claim by?


Eugen - Wednesday, September 5th, 2012

I work for a company for for years now as a builde .i travel a lot sometimes 30 k a year in my own car.soon as qe finish one site we move to another. They give me back aome money for petrol in taxable and non taxable expenses i entitled to clai some back or …where should i start??????

Babar N Raja - Wednesday, September 12th, 2012

I have been informed that I can claim tax allowances for the mileage to and from work.I travel 70 miles a day usually for 6 days per week. If it is possible to claim, how far back could I claim?

Robin vos - Thursday, September 20th, 2012

My place of work is 65miles from where i live, thats 130 miles a day at a cost of £25 per day. I am not self employed and this is the closest factory to where i am. With no contribution from my employer it takes a lot from my salary, is it possible to make a claim ?

Vikki - Tuesday, September 25th, 2012

Hi I’m currently working employed in the building trade and recieving 18p per mile after the first 12 miles. Can I claim? if so what for? And how do I go about it? Can it be back dated?

emma - Saturday, October 6th, 2012

I’m a support worker and do an average about 150 miles a week but pay tax as I don’t earn enough. am I still entitled to claim back my petrol/travel expenses, as I only used my own vehicle.

janet - Sunday, October 21st, 2012

i have been using my own car for work and now been given a van but have to pay for my petrol will i be able to still claim

lainey - Monday, December 17th, 2012

hi, i have just started working for the nhs as a bank ambulance driver, the stations are between 30 and 50 miles away from me, can i claim petrol allowance to and from the stations.

Ranjit Singh - Monday, December 31st, 2012

Hi I travel 144 miles a day 5 days a week to get to work. A large chunk of my salary goes on fuel. I spend approx £100 on fuel. My employer doesn’t pay as I took a job offer in another town. Is there any possibility of tax credits, tax claims etc?

Fred - Monday, December 31st, 2012

I was born in 1941 worked for the same company for 50 years

This year i recieved a rebate cheque from the goverment. On the same day I recieved a letter that I owed tax (tax owed was less the cheque i recieved

i contacted the company where I previous worked he came along to my house and check the lettes from HMRC

Person whom checked the details then contact the tax departmetn at Newcastle, was informed that the company had not forwarded form P11D which was for claiming back tax on the company car after I retired

hE was then asked to for this form to the department at Newcastle

After having to write to the tax departmnet a second time(did not get reply to the from sent, Have recieved a reply that the claim for 2006/2007 is out of date and unable to be amened

It was not my fault that tha company had not provided this information.Also when I had recieved my rebate from the HMRC theY failed to notice that from p11d had not been forwarded to HMRC - Sunday, January 13th, 2013

can i claim tax back for traveling to my work with my own van

Michael Peters - Sunday, January 27th, 2013

I have left the company that i was working for when i am claiming my petrol tax allowance, all the paperwork has been done and i wondered when it is i have to send it in. Do i have to wait till the end of the tax year

Gavin Nellist.  - Monday, January 28th, 2013

i travel 160-200 miles a week to and from work. can i claim tax allowence back on my milage?

TaxFix - Saturday, February 9th, 2013

Gavin Nellist: You can not claim mileage between your house and your regular place of work.

JoGraham - Saturday, February 9th, 2013


My company pay me a car allowance which they say is paid net (therefore not tax or NI is deducted from me on this payment). This payment does not show on my P11d. I pay for the car, road tax, servicing, insurance (and for business). The amount they pay me wouldn’t even cover this on a monthly basis. They also pay me 13p a mile for petrol. The have informed us that we cannot claim Mileage tax relief due to the arrangement they have with HRMC. However, without a doubt I’m out of pocket!! Could this be right?

TaxFix - Sunday, February 10th, 2013

ivone cordeiro: The deadline for the 2004/2005 has passed unfortunately.

TaxFix - Sunday, February 10th, 2013

Harjit: If you are leaving the UK, you can claim back your tax here.

Mandy murphy  - Sunday, March 10th, 2013

Just wondered how I go about claiming fuel back as the company I work for only pay 25p per mile ????

sandra - Sunday, March 31st, 2013

hi was wondering how you go about claiming your fuel back when you are an employer

sandra - Sunday, March 31st, 2013

was wondering how you go about claiming back petrol when you are am employee . i work in the care sector

Chrisp - Saturday, April 6th, 2013

As a self employed builder I know I can claim my mileage back to get to the job but can I claim mileage from the job back home

Jaroslaw - Thursday, May 9th, 2013

My boss pay me 20p / mile for traveling to work.
Do I have to pay a tax for petrol money?

Linda Aitken - Tuesday, May 21st, 2013

I began working for a health care agency last August 1st 2012. I live in Plymouth Devon but have ofter travelled to cornwall and Torquay for shifts. It has only recently come to my attention that I may be able to make a claim for petrol expence. The problem is I do not still have the receips although each time I make one of these trips the petrol costs £20…my company can verify the number of journeys I have made. Is it still possible to make a claim?


Linda Aitken

phil hayward - Tuesday, May 28th, 2013

I pay my parents for fuel they use to take me to jobs as I am classed as self employed can I claim this back on my self assessment

Ian lee - Friday, June 14th, 2013

I m currently working as a canvencer going door to door. I clock in first at our offices then go out to do door to door asking people if they would like they re windows cleaned. I have to travel alot of miles and i ve been told i have to foot the bill for the petrol its costing me over £15.00 a day some times more, i could really do with some advice on weather i can reclaime my money back or my employer is actually supposed to fund me as i m paying to do his work. - Saturday, June 15th, 2013

I drive 74 miles a day to go to and get back from my place of work.My employer does not pay fuel or mileage allowance Can I claim a tax rebate on the money I pay for the fuel used making this journey

Tina - Thursday, July 11th, 2013

Do you have to work a certain amount of hours or earn a certain amouny before you can claim your petrol back

ALAN ROBERTS - Tuesday, July 30th, 2013

I travel 74 miles a day to and from my work in the nhs can I get help with the cost

TaxFix - Wednesday, July 31st, 2013

ALAN ROBERTS: You can not claim the cost of going to your place of work. Other mileage can be claimed though.