Tax Articles

Tax Rebate Forms

Tax Rebate Calculator

Income Tax Calculator

Petrol Tax Relief on Car Mileage

Petrol Tax Relief on Car  Mileage

Not everyone knows that if they use their car, van, motorbike or even their cycle for work they can often claim a tax relief on the mileage. We answer some common questions on this subject. If you do not find the question you are looking for, Send us a message

What qualifies for business mileage tax relief?
If you use your own vehicle you can claim for business mileage on any travel that you do as part of your job. Temporary work places qualify but it does not include:

How do I calculate my business mileage tax relief?
You can calculate your mileage tax relief by multipyling the number of miles you have traveled by the approved mileage rate for your vehicle.

Step By Step

1. Find the total of your business mileage in the tax year

2. Multiply this by your approved vehcicle mileage rate.

3. Add up the mileage allowance given to you by your employer, if any at all.

4. Subtract the amount your employer gave you from the amount calculate in step 2.

Let’s look at an example. During the year you use your car for 850 miles for business. As part of your employment contract your employer pays you 30p per mile . Your business mileage multiplied by your vehicle rate is £340 (850 times 40p). Your employer gives you an allowance of £255 (850 times 30p). Therefore you can make a petrol tax claim for £85 (£340 less £255).

What records do I need to keep?
You should keep as much information as you can including the dates/time that you travelled as well as the journey mileage for each work related journey. Make sure that you keep these records for at least 6 years.

How do I claim my petrol tax relief ?
You can claim your tax relief by completing a tax return. We offer a no obligation service and only charge a fee if you are due a tax rebate on your mileage.

How far back can I claim petrol tax relief for?
You can claim as far back as 6 years for a tax relief on any mileage that you have done.

Any more questions? Send us a message, we are happy to help.

marie - Thursday, May 20th, 2010

I have no recicet for petrol how can I claim my

TaxFix - Thursday, May 20th, 2010

Marie: When making a claim for an allowance it is highly advisable to have proper records so that you can proof your claim.

Leanne - Tuesday, June 8th, 2010

I travel to work and back which is an all round trip of 30 miles per day. Is there anything I can claim back from the tax man for this?…I do not receive any mileage from my current employer.


TaxFix - Wednesday, June 9th, 2010

Leanne: The tax man does not allow you to claim mileage for travel between your home and place of work, any other work related mileage can be claimed for.

andrew ellis  - Monday, June 21st, 2010

if im not self empolyed and use my car to do calls as im a carer for elderly do i have to fill out a tax return form and if so why

TaxFix - Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010

Andrew Ellis: If you want to claim relief on petrol you may need to complete a tax return to let the Inland Revenue know that you are due this allowance.

Pat - Saturday, June 26th, 2010

I am a care assistant and I am employed (I am not self-employed). Will I be able to claim petrol tax reliefe? Thanks

TaxFix - Saturday, June 26th, 2010

Pat: Care assistants can often claim tax relief on the mileage that they do. The amount of mileage you can claim will depend on your situation.

john - Wednesday, June 30th, 2010

how do i go about claiming for petrol text relief is there a form called p87 thanks

Tony. - Tuesday, July 6th, 2010

I use my own vehicle for work, travelling approx 10,000 miles a year. I receive 40p a mile for this. Can I claim tax relief on the VAT paid for repairs & servicing etc ?

Colin - Saturday, July 17th, 2010

Does the rate of income tax paid have a bearing on this or is it a fixed rate relief?

anthony saunders - Friday, July 23rd, 2010

i am waitng for a milage claim rebate of £4000 how much of that will i actually recieve

Anonymous - Saturday, July 31st, 2010

I am a contractor and travel from home to lodge then from lodge to work can i claim for mileage

Jo - Monday, August 2nd, 2010

If I only work 16 hours and am a care assistant traveling to their homes, I don’t get taxed so would I still be able to claim petrol tax allowance.

Anonymous - Wednesday, August 11th, 2010

i work on a large site. from the moment i cross the works security gate to the place i actually work/departemnt is 2 mile. 4 mile each day over my working month is 87 miles, 1008 miles a year just on site. surely i could get something back on this. some guys have done it for 20yrs, that 20k miles jusr getting to the job from the front gate. what do you think

Spongebob - Tuesday, August 24th, 2010

Hi i work for a training provider, i travel 800 miles per week, however this is mileage to my place of work. i cant claim expenses through the company, is there anything i can do for this?

jamie - Thursday, September 2nd, 2010

i work on a large site. from the moment i cross the works security gate to the place i actually work/departemnt is 2 mile. 4 mile each day over my working month is 87 miles, 1008 miles a year just on site. surely i could get something back on this. some guys have done it for 20yrs, that 20k miles jusr getting to the job from the front gate. what do you think

mr white - Monday, September 6th, 2010

i work on a large site. from the moment i cross the works security gate to the place i actually work/departemnt is 2 mile. 4 mile each day over my working month is 87 miles, 1008 miles a year just on site. surely i could get something back on this. some guys have done it for 20yrs, that 20k miles jusr getting to the job from the front gate. what do you think

question - Saturday, September 11th, 2010

Anonymous – Wednesday, August 11th, 2010

i work on a large site. from the moment i cross the works security gate to the place i actually work/departemnt is 2 mile. 4 mile each day over my working month is 87 miles, 1008 miles a year just on site. surely i could get something back on this. some guys have done it for 20yrs, that 20k miles jusr getting to the job from the front gate. what do you think

Bernadette - Tuesday, September 14th, 2010

I have to travel outwith my office to various areas and i use my own car and pay for my own petrol can i claim a rebate

Andrea - Monday, September 20th, 2010

Hi I claim business mile from my employer. I do not add in the 11 miles I am from home. When I make my last call it can be in excess of 11 miles from home, can I claim the difference?

R Weightman - Sunday, October 3rd, 2010

My employer pays me £5500 per year in lieu of car. I am also eligable to claim £0.11 per mile for business milage and complete around 6000 miles per year. This calculates to £0.40 – £0.11 x 6000 = £1740.00. Can i still claim for a rebate?

gary - Saturday, October 9th, 2010

my wife is self employed and had a car which we brought for her work. The car has since broken down can we claim the cost off buying another car against her tax. and the first car as thay were both for her work as she works over 100 miles away from home many thanks

Jan Smith - Monday, October 11th, 2010

Hi, how do I work out the milage and petrol I use for my Tax Return ( i am self employed )what figues do I work with?
many thanks

TaxFix - Tuesday, October 12th, 2010

Jan Smith: You need to record your work related mileage and use this amount in your tax return. I hope this helps. If you need help completing your tax return, you can find our more about our services here.

Lyn McCormack - Friday, October 15th, 2010

Hi i work for an agency but have a 6 months contract do i qualify for any rebate please if so what forms do i need to complete, i have my contract as proof that my work will finish in feb.

TaxFix - Saturday, October 16th, 2010

Lyn McCormack: You can make a claim for any refund at the end of the tax year (April 5th 2011). You should be given a P45 when you stop working, keep this safe until then.

ben - Sunday, November 28th, 2010

I drive my vehicle to work every day, but do around 10 miles inbetween. That equates to 50miles a week, approx 200 miles a month. Can i claim anything for this as my company wont pay me anything for work related journeys?

TaxFix - Sunday, November 28th, 2010

ben: You can claim as much as 40 pence per mile for allowable work related travel.

paula - Wednesday, December 15th, 2010

i only work 16 hrs a week and dont get taxed ,im a mobile care assistant , can i still claim petrol allowance i do alot of travelling

susan - Friday, December 17th, 2010

My employer is based in leicestershire I live in Colchester. I travel to a client from my home on their behalf, they do not pay me mileage can I claim.

TaxFix - Saturday, December 18th, 2010

susan: You can claim any allowable work mileage. Mileage between your house and your place of work won’t be covered though.

Brian - Tuesday, January 11th, 2011

My Wife is a care worker with NHS, and she use her own car to go from work to private houses. They pay about 36p per mile because she is a regular user.
Can she claim tax relief on the mileage or petrol

Thank you

Jon - Wednesday, January 12th, 2011

I am self employed. I use mostly the train for travel to client’s sites. They reimburse me the full amount. How do I show this on my tax return? Similarly, any accommodation is fully reimbursed.



matthew  - Tuesday, January 18th, 2011

how can i claim back my petrol when i didnt keep reciepts

Brenda Stewart  - Thursday, January 20th, 2011

If you are self employed but the business can not sustain a mileage claim, can I just claim my fuel receipts through the P&L account instead

barrie west - Friday, January 21st, 2011

can i claim petrol tax relief even if i am not self employed? as i travel 40miles a day

TaxFix - Saturday, January 22nd, 2011

barrie west: You can claim any work related, allowable mileage. If you are self employed then you should be completing a tax return. You can learn more about our tax return service here.

Angie - Monday, January 24th, 2011

Hi, I work part time as a mobile carer. I pay no income tax as I earn below the threshold. Am I entitled to claim the tax back on petrol I use for work ?
I wont be able to claim the mileage allowance because I pay no income tax??

Thank you x

andrew winthorpe - Friday, January 28th, 2011

Hi there,

I have used my car a lot for my employer over the last 6 years. Obviously all my petrol reciepts have went to them. But if I were to ask for the records of all my mileage claims off my employer, would that suffice for records to claim tax relief?

patricia - Monday, February 7th, 2011

i am employed as a support worker i use my own car for work i do three hundred miles a week i get ten pence a mile from my employer i do not get tax deducted can i claim the petrol that i am using for my work back

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 9th, 2011

patricia: You can claim tax relief on your mileage. The amount you can claim is 40 pence for the first 10,000 miles (and 25 pence for each mile after this) minus any amount that your employer pays.

janet dillon - Saturday, February 19th, 2011

my husband and i bought a house in dorset in march 2008. i have since commuted from there x 3 days a week to London. i finish work in the early hours of the morning and am a disabled driver, so have to use the car. he commutes x 3 a week from there and x 2 week from our commuter base in tunbridge wells. he also finishes late.
i am also doing research and talking to pople about a TV script, which is separate from my main job. he is doing the same. do we qualify for mileage tax relief?

tina read - Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011

if i have 2 other work collques in my car when working and i get 42p a mile cant i claim afurther 5p per person per mile i do with them in the car

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011

janet dillon: You can’t normally claim for regular commuting costs.

Lisa  - Monday, February 28th, 2011

Can i claim for petrol tax relief for travelling to and from work?

John Milton - Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011

I currently have a company car which I use for work, the company gives me an allowance of £320:00 per month which is subjected to tax.
The mileage I do is 700 per week approx 37000 per year.
As the cost of fuel is going up I am now using money from my own salary to get to work I estimate that I spend around £80:00 per week (£352:00 per month) and after the tax is taken off of the £320 @ 23% I have to pay out between £100- £200 out of my salary any idea,s

Martin  - Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011

I get 40p per mile from my 1st vist to my last visit..of the day
However l do not get any allowance from home to 1st visit and from last visit to home ?

I work from homeand do not have a office at home and can work anything from 15 to 20 miles away befor my 1st visit it.
times by 5 days aweek for the last 6 years
what should l do


steve jones - Monday, March 7th, 2011

my wife worked for a care company for approx 9 mths,she has been told she must claim back her petrol costs back personally,how do we do this.

Mrs Sally Frampton - Monday, March 7th, 2011

I have just started work for an agency working in different nurserys around Bristol. Will i be entitled to petrol and clothes allowance, if yes how do i go about it please

Yasmin - Saturday, March 12th, 2011

How do I claim back my milage, carer uniform, vehicle wear and tear, uniform, mobile phone.etc

Hussain - Tuesday, March 15th, 2011

I do part time security work. Travel to various sites. This is my second job. Tax code is BR. The company to not give any milage allowance, can I still claim milage allowance directly from Inland Revenue for the journey’s completed? Many Thanks.

gavin - Thursday, March 17th, 2011

i currently work in the nhs and use my own car for buisness which i do recieve a regular users allowance and milage allowance on top of this. can i claim back the tax for the petrol/milage in addition to this?

paul - Sunday, March 20th, 2011

Hi I’m a builder and i am employed on the books, my employer only pays mileage on any miles over the first 20 a day, i drive my own car. Is there a way i can claim back the first 20 miles? Thanks

Phil - Wednesday, March 23rd, 2011

I have a company car and my company will give me 12p per business miles. I however travel to and from work each day, this journey is a round trip of 130 miles per day, so approx around 29000 miles per year, my fuel cost just to get to and from work is around £4000 per year, I am in full employment with my company with a basic salery of £30k, can I get any assistance with this cost?

Lynda - Thursday, March 24th, 2011

I work as a carer in the community how do i claim my petrol expences

lidia bean - Friday, March 25th, 2011

I am a care worker and use my own car to visit my service users. I get 20p petrol allowance, how do i claim the rest back as i hear it should be 40p a mile from government

eileen - Saturday, April 2nd, 2011

i was transfered to another shop on a tempery basis travelling 190 per week for 10months,i recieved £25 per week off them for travelling expences can i claim anything

joe hulme - Saturday, May 7th, 2011

hi if i use my own car for work can i claim any tax back on fuel i travel 35miles per day

Tim - Tuesday, May 10th, 2011

i work full time for a company, and my contract states i am manager of a store! however i have to cover other stores some up to 80 mile round trips, can i claim millage for these other stores i have to go too?

kerrie ford - Wednesday, May 18th, 2011

i work for a private care company. i use my car to tavel to each customer, sometimes 4 a night. can i claim back my petrol expenses. i filled in a p87 but all i got back was the tax relief on it for 2 years as 350.00. Obviously i spent a lot more than that on the petrol. What can i do

John Carter - Friday, May 20th, 2011

I work as a site manager for a construction company and have been told by colleagues I can claim allowance on fuel for up to the last 6 years ago is this true ?If so how do I do it and what is the cost? I have all my receipts and mileage details what else would I need.

lynne lynch  - Monday, May 23rd, 2011

my employer pays me 26pence per mile and has been told we can claim upto 45 pence per mile from the tax office could you please let me know what i have to do as she hasnt found out how to apply. thank you

bongani sibanda - Wednesday, May 25th, 2011

how do i claim for millage i work as acommunity care worker using my on car and l m paid 25p per mile

victor - Friday, June 10th, 2011

i`m working on tug boats full time employment.very often we running our private vehicles between different docks to jobs for my boss and we get nothing at all for that-even not any money for the fuel we use.i could use my vehicle about 1500miles a year for my boss bissnes and get 0 of him.can i claim any fuel expenses on my tax?

lauren - Monday, June 13th, 2011

i have been self employed for a year now and i brought a car mainly for buisness use, i was wondering what percentage i can claim back on the amount the car cost?

Gary Swaffield - Tuesday, June 14th, 2011

I am an Estate Agent and use my own car to go to viewings etc, I do not get any mileage allowance, or a car allowance at all, NOTHING! I pay the RFL, Petrol and finance payments. What can I claim back?!

Anthony - Wednesday, June 15th, 2011

My employer provides me with a petrol card so I do not pay for my petrol however I am taxed on my petrol card usage, how would I calculate what I can claim back? I clocked up 4907 business miles for the previous tax year.

Steve - Thursday, June 16th, 2011

My partner works as a carer and gets 20p a mile allowance should her employer pay more

Steve - Thursday, June 16th, 2011

I travel 22miles a day to and from work for last for years. I’m a payee employed can I claim fuel allowance have no records just prove of employment

Zak - Wednesday, June 22nd, 2011

Hi, I do 500miles work related per week and I get paid 0.38per mile from my company. I use my own car. I kept record for my mileage but do not have any petrol receipts, can I make a claim? and which form do I require?


kyra - Wednesday, June 22nd, 2011

I use my car for traveling to work apporx 220 miles a week is there a way i can claim some of this back?

Faye cheshire - Sunday, June 26th, 2011

Can I claim for my last customer back to my house(I am self employed). Thankyou

brian clark - Tuesday, June 28th, 2011

if my employer does not pay a mileage allowance can i claim tax relief on all fuel used to and from my work place

Oliver - Tuesday, June 28th, 2011

Can you claim for Tax Relief every 4 months etc or can it only be once per year at the end of the tax year?

Neil - Saturday, July 16th, 2011

i sent in my tax relief for fuel and calculated that I could claim £1149. I sent in the form and around 2 months later all I’ve received is a letter from tax office stating they are changing my tax code from 747L to 862L and I’ve not got any cheque back.

Letter stated my personal allowance is £7475.
My job expenses are £1149.
They have added this together giving a tax free amount off £8624 which is why the tax code has changed for between 6 April 2011 and 5 April 2012.

I don’t want my tax code to change I want the money I had worked out for 2010/11. How do I get this?

mr chege - Thursday, September 1st, 2011

I work as a care worker driving from home to home what form do I need to fill in to claim same petrol money back? Thx.

heather - Friday, September 2nd, 2011

I have a company car I am told I must pay for my private mileage and keep receipts. I have been told that this is to ensure I do not pay too much for income tax. I have kept a log of business miles and also personal. I have the receipts, however I am leaving and the employer/employee relationship has broken down. Can I provide the receipts to the tax office myself? I am currently on 747L tax code. Please tell me what I need to do?

elaine peachey - Sunday, September 18th, 2011

My daughter works for a care company. they say she
has to claim her petrol that used back herself. she is using on adv 50.00 per week for this job, hardly seems worth doing the job but she is really enjoying the job, seems such a shame to leave.
any advise would help

tammy - Sunday, October 2nd, 2011

how long dose it take to recive your petrol allowance…i have been waiting 7weeks and not heard anything az yet

karen farish - Monday, October 3rd, 2011

can i claim tax relief on my petrol to and from work.i am not self employed

hamid - Wednesday, October 5th, 2011

I drive into work everyday as i am a engineer. i only drive becuase i have to as i use my car to get around should my company pay me as i would take a train if they had a van.

Carl - Friday, October 14th, 2011

I have a company car. At present its fully expensed. What is the best option fully expensed or pay for private mileage?

jeffrey barlow - Friday, October 21st, 2011

i am a paye employee travelling 40 miles a day to work in a factory.
is there no help available for these journeys or do you have to be self employed?

Aimee - Monday, November 7th, 2011

i work as a community carer and drive around 80-100 miles per day, travelling too and from different residents houses. my employer pays me 24p per mile, can i claim the rest back from the tax man? thanks

Dan - Friday, November 11th, 2011

I am employed and the company has purchased a bicycle for me to commute to my normal place of work through the cycle to work scheme.
As I sometimes have to be somewhere else which requires traveling by car, due to the distance the question arose whether I can claim car mileage from home or only from normal place of work to which I normally cycle.
Thanks for the advise

Steve - Saturday, November 19th, 2011

If i drive past my office to go to a site do i have to pay for private mileage as far as the office if i’m coming from home.

Paul - Monday, November 28th, 2011

i travel 60 miles to work each day and 60 miles back, looking below I don’t believe I can claim anything can you please confirm this..idiot proof it for me

Thank you

Paul I

St.Aidans Community Grouop - Friday, December 2nd, 2011

We are a not for profit registered charity who run a Disabled Welfare Minbus which is used to transport physically diabled and people with mental healthy care needs for social and recreational purposes

Sarah - Friday, December 9th, 2011

I personally lease a car through work, £420 pcm. I get paid 30p per mile for work travel and Essential User approx £65 pcm.
Because I pay for the car and it is a personal lease should I pay tax for it – i think they bill me about 1K per year

Very muddled!

Greg - Monday, January 9th, 2012

I travel to work by cycle-which I have been doing for the last 8 years-and is a 15mile round trip. As I produce zero emissions is there any tax relief for cyclists.

Rena - Sunday, January 15th, 2012

I have to use my own car and mobile for work what am I entitled to claim back

Wayne - Tuesday, January 17th, 2012

I am self employed. I buy & sell items on EBAY. My question is this :-

If I use my own car to go and purchase / collect items that I have purchased to sell and or use as part of running my business can I claim back my milage costs and if so how do I do this.

Lets say I do a round trip of 40 Miles, do I have to ALWAYS get petrol with a receipt of £18.00 on the same day to cover the cost of milage for that trip (40 Miles * 0.45p Per Mile = £18.00) or just record on paper or in a spreadsheet the date, time and milage of the trip for entry onto my tax retrurn at a later date?

I hope someone can clarify this for me in and put in into laymens terms.

Many Thanks

kay - Wednesday, January 18th, 2012

what is this mwa that my company take out of my wages but put back in

Dean - Sunday, January 22nd, 2012

Can I claim fuel tax back on a company cae if I get paid back all what I spend on fuel.

leanne - Wednesday, January 25th, 2012

hi i work for a company as a support worker, supporting people with learning disabillities. i often take people i support out in my own car and when we get back from where we have been i take money from their personal tins to pay back my mileage. i have just been informed by a colleague that the miles i claim for should be filled in on an authorized sheet and then sent back to head office who will then reimburst me themselves. also i have been taking 40p per mile and have been told this is too much. could you help me out please and give me some information as to whether what i am doing is right or not. thanks

claire vinecombe - Friday, February 3rd, 2012

Hi i work for a nursing agency and get 0.25p a mile, i travel 60 miles a day can i claim ant money back if so how do i go about this.

Miss Kelly Rodrigues - Monday, February 20th, 2012

I work part time and do not earn enough to pay tax. I put in app £15.00 per week out of my wages for petrol to take the lady i care for out. Can i claim this back? The lady i caref or says no because i dont pay tax. I paid a little tax the past 2 years and then this year i was told i wasn’t earning enough to pay tax.I am paying app £60 plus a month out of my salary which isn,t a lot. If i can how do i go about claiming it? Thanks.

sharon - Thursday, March 1st, 2012

where is my nearest tax office ? ts6 9pg

Zoe green - Monday, March 12th, 2012

Can I claim back petrol money as a carer if I’m only working weekends and not earning enough to pay tax?

alexandro - Wednesday, March 14th, 2012

MY wife and I work togheter, we have received a company car, do we both need to declare the benefit in kind, or I will have to put this on my wife name>

Rob Reeson - Wednesday, March 14th, 2012

I work split shifts and have to use my car to travel to and from work – can I claim any tax relief – I cover a total of 30 miles each working day

Roy  - Friday, March 16th, 2012

Hi, due to a change in circumstances I now have to travel to work alone. I have a company car but no fuel allowance and my boss says they can’t pay my fuel. I travel 162 miles every day (81 miles to and from) I am paid under 30k a year so toucan imagine the debt this is having on my employment. Can I claim anything back ??

Francis - Wednesday, March 28th, 2012

I only work part time, and don’t pay tax as my earnings are too low. My company pays 25p per mile for my travel expenses for my own car, Can I still claim back tax on the remailing 15p per mile?

Rosy Hicks - Friday, April 6th, 2012

I’ve been told that as a domiciliary carer we are allowed to claim from home to work as it is not a fixed location. Is this true?

Frank - Wednesday, April 11th, 2012

is it necessary, with a fully expensed company car, to distinguish private mileage from business mileage in claiming fuel expenses?

Vicky R - Thursday, April 12th, 2012

Hi, I got transferred with my job before xmas in which i have to drive to work (i walked before transfer). I didnt realise until today that you could claim for petrol. Is it possible for me to claim for december up too the 5th april and what evidence would i need to claim. As i didnt drive before it has hit the bank balance quite hard.

V Tunna - Saturday, April 14th, 2012


Can you claim car mileage allowance from HMRC if you have not paid any income tax/nat insurance in the year you are wanting to claim the allowance? Many thanks

Bernard Darlington - Monday, April 23rd, 2012

For three years I travelled 65ml each way to work. I used my own car but received a car allowance which was taxed at 40%.

Can I claim tax relief?

joe - Monday, April 23rd, 2012

i claim 22p mileage from work how do i claim the other 18p when i dont earn enough to pay taxes

Michael Costigan - Thursday, May 10th, 2012

For some years I have used my own car to travel to and from my workplace (my workplace varies as I work in plant hire). I have been paid 25-27p per mile. A colleague tells me that I can claim tax relief on this. Can you confirm if this is the case please.

julian - Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012

i travel a round trip of 80 miles a day
to and from work im on minimum wage can i claim back petrol money as i only use car for work

ukgadgeuk - Tuesday, May 29th, 2012

ive worked for a company now for 5 years i travel to and from work in my own car appox 50 miles a day each way and some times more after the first 15 miles i get i think 31p a mile one way only can i claim more pretol off of the tax man then and i was told the only info i need is my bank statments wich show all the names of the grages on it is this ture and if so what do i have to do for that im not selfemployd im employd on the cards can you let me no how to claim.

fabio - Thursday, June 7th, 2012

hi, i travel to work and back about 32miles each day, i would like to know what i could apply to get money for petrol??

jane - Thursday, June 14th, 2012

i work in community care and have done for 4yrs doing approx. 16hrs per week can i claim

Karen - Saturday, June 16th, 2012

I am a community carer and get paid 20p per mile have filled a form p87 from hmrc for other 25p per mile have heard as not earnt enough to pay tax will not get a rebate my tax code will just change.

Jen - Wednesday, August 8th, 2012

hi Iam a community support worker and have been for the last 2 years I travel from house to house and take service users out in my own car I spend alot on fule about £40 a week sometimes can I claim mileage back if so what do I need to do I havnt kept any fuel recites but I could properly get my rotas if that helps

paul - Friday, November 2nd, 2012

i travel 45 mile each way to work,can i claim any tax for this?

Ann - Tuesday, January 15th, 2013

Hi i have recently started a new job as a community carer so i can travel up to 15 different homes a day i get 30p a mile but i am using £60 every 2/3 days and the 30p is not covering can i claim anything back?? you say i should look see how much i spend in a year but ive not been there a year yet so this is unknown please help

Andy - Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013

As an agency worker can I claim a mileage allowance for travelling to and from work??

nathalie - Friday, January 25th, 2013

hi i have a question i go to work everyday and com back home i used to live in france and there you put on your tax form the mileage that has beign done by going to and back from A to B and Bto A everyday that you worked and claimed tax back on that can you do that in england?

Jemma - Wednesday, January 30th, 2013

I am a carer and get 25p per mile from my employer and claim the rest back at the end of the tax year do I need to declare this a payments in kind/ additional earnings to Child Tax Credit?

Jon Daughtry - Tuesday, February 12th, 2013

Am I able to claim mileage in respect to trips taken to a French house that we rent out to UK residents? These trips are undertaken to carry out maintenance etc.


no sure how to do it - Friday, March 22nd, 2013

how to claim tax relief I am a carer worker 45p mile I done over 12,000miles a year how to fill my form for a car going to work

Diane - Wednesday, May 8th, 2013

If I work a split shift can I claim mileage to and from home

Claire - Friday, May 10th, 2013

I travel 70 miles round trip to my job as a temporary medical secretary. When i worked for one particular agency they were able to claim tax relief for me on my miles. However my current agency say that i can only claim for mileage thats not to and from work. Can you advise

ray - Friday, July 19th, 2013

I have a second security job i travel 60 miles one way is there anything i can claim ?

hazel fenn - Tuesday, July 30th, 2013

the company that i work for only pay 20 p per mile when i use my car for business purposes, how do i claim the remainder back ( the service users pay 20 pence per mile when they are taken out by the staff in there cars)