Tax Articles

Tax Rebate Forms

Tax Rebate Calculator

Income Tax Calculator

Inland Revenue Tax Returns

After the tax year finishes, employees are given their P60s and many check to see if they are due a tax rebate.

This year people might be waiting longer than normal as the Inland Revenue updates their computer systems, putting all tax records on a consolidated platform.

Refunds already take up to three months to issue, with some taking even longer due to ‘extra security checks’. Telephoning or writing is often futile as the Inland Revenue have a two month backlog of post.

Many fear that the implementation of the new computer system will only compound problems as staff need training as they familiarize themselves with the new platform. reports that Revenue & Customs says: ‘We will work hard to deliver our normal levels of service, but in a few cases we may not be able to respond to queries or correspondence as quickly as we would normally expect to do so. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and will do everything we can to minimise this. In particular, we will ensure that key services, such as making tax refunds to low income customers, are given priority.’

How to Speed Up Your Inland Revenue Tax Refund

We can’t ensure that there will be no delays, but one way of reducing any possible problems is to ensure that you have all your P45/P60′s included with any application you send to the Inland Revenue. If you do not have a P45 or a P60, a statement of earnings is a sufficient replacement. Before sending any documentation make sure you photocopy all documents. Even if the Inland Revenue has a complete work history for you, it is worth sending a P91 so that they cannot claim to have a broken employment record.

A tax refund agent can help with your tax return. They have long-term experience in dealing with HMRC and will know what to send to ensure your refund is completed in the quickest possible time.

Anonymous - Thursday, May 13th, 2010

If there is a asterix/star next to your tax amount and an R in brackets what does this signify?

Anthony Barron - Friday, May 14th, 2010

I am CIS registered and need to know my UTR number. Urgent

TaxFix - Friday, May 14th, 2010

We would have to see it to be sure, but often an ‘R’ signifies ‘Repayment’

TaxFix - Friday, May 14th, 2010


If you need urgent help with your CIS tax return one of our accountants will be more then happy to help. Just follow the link below:

Jim - Tuesday, May 18th, 2010

If I’m leaving the country for good can i claim national insurance money back? If so how?

TaxFix - Wednesday, May 19th, 2010

Hi Jim,

It is possible to claim back a portion of your national insurance payments, this is known as ”contracting out of the state pension’. You can only contract out of the state pension if you are living and working in the UK. You can learn more about NI rebates here.

Anonymous - Tuesday, May 25th, 2010

what does CIS stand for?

TaxFix - Wednesday, May 26th, 2010

Construction Industry Scheme

sandie - Wednesday, May 26th, 2010

My daughter has been working in America for 18 months and has just revisited us in the UK for a holiday for a month…She is leaving for Australia this month to work over there…She has not wored in the UK since November 2008..She has all her pay slips from her last employer but cannot find her P60..How does go about reclaiming tax that she paid for that tax year.

TaxFix - Wednesday, May 26th, 2010

Sandie: If you daughter stopped working in the UK in November 2008 it is likely that she is due a tax refund. She should have been given a P45 from her employer when she finished working. Does she have this? Not to worry if she does not. She can get a replacement, by writing to her employer at the time and asking for a ’statement of earnings’. This will act as a replacement for a P45 and can be used to claim her tax back. If you like we can send you a template letter, just Email us on

Anonymous - Thursday, May 27th, 2010

I quit my job around the end of February 2009 but received an overpayment at the end of March 2009 (which I am currently repaying at £50 per month).

I loaned a friend approximately £6500 to help him start up a business. I worked for him temporarily (but was not employed by him) from 6th March 2009 until the 8th July 2009. I was not paid but received £300 per week (£5100) as payment against my initial loan.

I returned to my old job at the end of July 2009 and was put on BR tax code. I have been on this code since, even since the start of the new tax year.

According to my latest p60, I was paid £10363.94 and deducted £2072.60 in tax.

I have not received any further repayments from my friend and I don’t envisage receiving any in the future, despite issuing him an invoice for £5100 for services during the time I ‘worked’ for him.

I did not register as self employed or claim benefits at any time.

I would like to get my tax code sorted plus any refund I am owed. Please advise best course of action.

TaxFix - Thursday, May 27th, 2010

Anonymous: To find out if you are due a tax refund for 2009/2010 all you need to do is input your total income for the yaer and the tax that you paid, into our tax calculator. It will tell you instantly if you can claim anything back from the Inland Revenue.

anon - Friday, May 28th, 2010

just before april 5th my employer told me i had been overpaid by 2580.32 she deducted this from my gross pay TD on my wage slip which showed i was due a tax rebate of 541.00 yet my p60 says im not due one why would this be

anonymous - Saturday, May 29th, 2010

i work full-time, i was reistered has having a disability dose this make any changes to the amount of tax i now pay.

29 may 2010

TaxFix - Saturday, May 29th, 2010

Anon: Were you paid the tax refund through your wages by your employer? Have you checked your P60 using our tax rebate calculator?

pam - Sunday, May 30th, 2010

how can my husband get a copie of his tax return 2008/2009

TaxFix - Sunday, May 30th, 2010

Pam: Is your husband self employed? Did he submit an electronic version of paper version of his tax return?

Anonymous - Monday, May 31st, 2010

I need to fill in a form p87. Is the allowable expense figure the one entered in section 6, or the figures put in section 2 box 6? I don’t fill a return in at the moment, so I need to know which figure is the allowable expense, as if it’s above £2500 then I need to fill in a return.

TaxFix - Monday, May 31st, 2010

Anonymous: If your alloawable expenses are above £2,500 then you will need to complete a tax return. If you would like us to complete your tax return for you, you can apply here.

CJ - Monday, May 31st, 2010

I am about to receive a substantial sum as a gift from a relative who has sold a business – how do I assess capital gain tax liability please ?

Anonymous - Monday, May 31st, 2010

Thanks for that, but which figure on the form p87 needs to be below £2500? The one in section 6 orthe one in section2?

TaxFix - Tuesday, June 1st, 2010

CJ: You do not pay capital gains tax on a gift. The person that sold their business may be liable for capital gain tax not you.

Steve - Tuesday, June 1st, 2010

Back in January, my accountants estimated that I had overpaid income tax to the tune of £2000.00 and submited my tax returns. In March the Inland Revenue promised to have the matter sorted by April. It is now June and still no rebate.

My accountants tell me that all theur clients due a repayment are in the same boat.

Is the Inland Revenue broke? Surely there must be some legal limit to how long they can keep us waiting? What can I do?

TaxFix - Tuesday, June 1st, 2010

Steve: Often the Inland Revenue can have back logs with their tax rebate claims, especially around the end of the tax year. You could give your local tax office a call and see what the hold up is, but it is unlikely to speed things up.

CJ - Tuesday, June 1st, 2010

Thank you – would I have any other tax liability on receiving such a gift ? – the seller of the business has already paid tax on the money.

TaxFix - Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010

CJ: If the person that gave you the gift dies within 6 years, you may be liable for inheritance tax.

PL - Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010

Hi, i was working from 10/09 to 03/10 my tax code was BR it was my only job..i left the job at the end of march 2010, and went back to the same job again. But from 10/09 to 03/10 my Gross pay was £4898 but i got taxed £989 am i due a refund? i didnt get no p60 when i left i only have p45!

TaxFix - Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010

PL: Yes, you can claim back all £989 as you earned below the tax free allowance. You only need your P45 to make your claim. You just have to complete our online tax rebate application.

CJ - Thursday, June 3rd, 2010

Thanks for your help

Anonymous - Thursday, June 3rd, 2010

I have been on BR tax code since April 2010 and am due to get paid on the 18th June, I have had a letter to confirm my code as 647L but it has not been confirmed and changed. my partner is umeployed and I am paying for everything which is leaving us very tight on money when is this issue going to get sorted so my tax code will be corrected? And will I have to do loads of running around to get the refund or will it be refund automatically?

TaxFix - Friday, June 4th, 2010

Anonymous: If you have been on an emergency tax code then it is likely that you have overpaid tax and are entitled to a tax refund. You can only claim at the end of the tax year (April 2011) as it is unlikely that you will get the refund automatically. Have a look at your latest wage slip to see if you have been put on the correct tax code. Make sure to keep any P45 or P60 that you get from your employer, so that you can claim your tax rebate at the end of the tax year.

Anonymous - Sunday, June 6th, 2010

My civil partner got fired from his job a couple of months ago and is not currently working. My income has to support us both. Can I get a tax refund?

How do i found out my utr number? - Tuesday, June 8th, 2010

Its not on my p60, need it urgently!

TaxFix - Tuesday, June 8th, 2010

How do i found out my utr number: You normally only get a URT (unique taxpayer reference) number if you are doing an online tax return. Are you doing a tax return because if you have a P60 it sounds like you are in paid employment. If you are doing a tax return you can contact your local tax office who can help with your UTR number.

Jan - Wednesday, June 9th, 2010

I am confused. I work full time and also receive a government widow’s pension and a very small private widows pension.

ANON  - Tuesday, June 15th, 2010

My father was due a tax rebate of £3500 two months ago and still has not recieved it ,even after many phone calls and emails. What else can he do and is there an independant body he can contact about this situation? Also if the tax office can issue fines and interest for late payments surely he can?

Anonymous - Tuesday, June 15th, 2010

My husband passes his married couples allowance over to me as I pay any income tax which we are due but the Inland Revenue altered my Tax Code which resulted in my pension being reduced due to the amount of tax which I had to pay. After contacting the relevant tax office, he submitted the appropriate form in April to have the allowance transferred to me. How long does it take to rectify this and will any refund be made through my works pension or will a payment be made direct to me

TaxFix - Tuesday, June 15th, 2010

ANON: It can be quite frustrating at times dealing with the Inland Revenue, unfortunately due to their back logs you have to wait until the refund is processed. You could call and chase up the claim, this may help,

norman georgenson - Wednesday, June 16th, 2010

my tax code used to be 647 I think (married man with children)and now it’s BR does this mean that i’m on the emergency tax code. As I used to pay approxametly £46 and now it’s £64 is this right or am I entiteled to a refund?

TaxFix - Wednesday, June 16th, 2010

norman georgenson: A BR tax code is an emergency tax code. Often when you are on an emergency tax code you overpay tax if you only have one job. At the end of the tax year you will recieve a P60, when you have this you can check to see how much your refund will be by using our tax refund calculator.

Anonymous - Sunday, June 20th, 2010

I sent and had the tax office work out and agree I was owed £300 in tax. they sent a letter at the end of April agreeing that they owe me this and that soon as the new “computer” system is sorted they will send me it in cheque form. Is the computer system still playing havoc? do you think I should give them a ring? Thanks x

tarem - Sunday, June 20th, 2010

Where I would find a form R40?

TaxFix - Monday, June 21st, 2010

tarem: You can download form R40 from here.

TaxFix - Monday, June 21st, 2010

Anonymous: The Inland Revenue computer system are often being upgraded which often causes many delays. You can call up your local tax office to check to see the status of any claims.

not so bright Spark - Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010

I have recently gone self employed and have started working as a sub contractor to an electrical firm. do they need to know my utr number? and wat other details other than my bank account do they need? i thought i sorted my own tax and everything?

TaxFix - Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010

not so bright Spark: If you are self employed you will need to do a tax return. A UTR number is used when completing your tax return. I am not sure why they would need to know your UTR number, I would ask your employer.

bernie. - Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010

i have lived with my partner for 20 years,can i claim her tax allowance?

mark j - Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010

hi i have been trying to get my tax rebate back since april i have since learned that 4 weeks ago they needed a p45 from the jobcenter i duely got this. now they are telling me i have to wait another 2 months making it 5 months in total i would have waited is there a time limit they can hold your money? as i have been told 4 dates now i know the amounts due to me as they have told me over the phone

Steven - Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010

Can you please email me the address for me to send my p60 to see about a tax rebate

TaxFix - Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010

Steven: You can check to see if you are due a tax rebate by using your P60 and our tax rebate calculator.

TaxFix - Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010

mark j: The Inland Revenue require all the documentation before they will issue your refund. Unfortunately they don’t have a time limit as such.

Mr JB Walsh - Thursday, June 24th, 2010

dear sir
i finished work to look after my disabled son i claimed a small pensin from legal and general which i was taxed on am i entitled to claim the tax back as i am not working

Big steve - Thursday, June 24th, 2010

If you complete on-line self assessment, and are owed a refund, do you also need to send documentation? In a previous year, I owed tax, paid on line, but was not asked for documentation !?

TaxFix - Friday, June 25th, 2010

Mr JB Walsh: It all depends on how much you earn and how much you end up paying in tax. You should have been given a P45 when you finished work, and at the end of the tax year you should be given a P60 fromy your pension provider. When you have these you can calculate if you are due a tax rebate by using our tax rebate calculator.

Dave - Tuesday, June 29th, 2010

My Dad passed away in Dec 2009 and was self employed, I had to get an accountant to sort out tax return for year up to his death and as I am responsible for his will I was liable to sort everything out. A tax return was sent online at the end of April and an acknowledgement was received to say it was received. I opted to have any funds transferred electronically transferred straight to my bank account, and was told that the process would take up to six weeks to process, was told there was a refund due. it’s now been 8 weeks and still nothing, I am unable to chase with tax office as they don’t recognise me as having authority on my fathers account. tried chasing with accountant and they are not very helpful either. Could you suggest what action I could/can take at present to sort this out, Thanks

TaxFix - Tuesday, June 29th, 2010

Dave: Refunds can often take longer then 6 weeks as there can be back logs with the Inland Revenue.

dave - Thursday, July 1st, 2010

I have been out of the country for 8yrs and am thinking about, returning to the uk and becoming self employed again can you tell me how to re-register for tax and getting a UTR number and what else would I need. Thanks

TaxFix - Friday, July 2nd, 2010

dave: The Inland Revenue have a page which recommends what you should do if you want to become self employed. If you need help completing your tax return, we offer a comprehensive tax return service, and would be more then happy to help.

Michelle A - Friday, July 2nd, 2010

I filed for a tax return in March when i lost my job and had to move abroad to live with parents, It has been 5 months and i have not received a penny, they lost some of my documents, wrote to me at a wrong address and are saying they are awaiting for infomation from Job seakers when i was claiming this! Ive sent in a P45 from them but they said it will not be processed until aug due to the backlog, but JSA may get in touch before then! I have constantly rang for weeks but nothing seems to be happening, i havent earnt any money or had a job since the one i lost… Is there any way of making a complaint or getting this done quicker!!??

Anonymous - Wednesday, July 7th, 2010

i was declared bankrupt in april 2008 and discharged from bankruptcy in december so last year the official reciever took all my tax rebate off me i was just wondering will they do the same again this year ?

Anonymous - Thursday, July 15th, 2010

what number do I call?

matthias  - Tuesday, July 20th, 2010

i have been told my tax rebate has been selected for extra security checks and every yr its the same why is this as they have my details of everything and say it is random but everytime im claiming isn’t random and yet they always pay out a few months later if i owed them they would charge me for every month i delay so whats the deal with this pls

Anonymous - Tuesday, July 20th, 2010

ive lost my p60 for tax year 08-09 and work said i have to get a replacement from inland revenue how do i do this?

TaxFix - Wednesday, July 21st, 2010

Anonymous: You do not get a replacement P60 from the Inland Revenue, you will need to write to your employer and ask for statement of earnings on company headed paper. This can be used as a replacement for a P60.

Anonymous - Wednesday, July 21st, 2010

I received a lump sum payment off a past employer to leave their pension scheme. Tax and NI was deducted before i received payment but was only taxed at 20% but as a higher tax payer 40% i asked my local tax office in march how i go about paying the extra and was told i would be contacted but hve heard nothing. Will i have to pay a lump sum or will it be incorporated in my next years tax code

Docker Watson - Friday, July 23rd, 2010

My mother in law has just returned to work at the age of 57! She works just 13 hrs per week, and in order to not have to sign on, want to make up to 16hrs or more per week. I am happy to pay her 4hrs per week to look after my daughters for 1 hour per day mon-thur. How do I do this? I want it to be all above board, and declared to tax etc?

Jambo - Saturday, July 24th, 2010

I received a tax rebate cheque in 2001,moved house and lost it, and unbelievably found it the other day, is there any way to renew this as the 6 month expiry has very much gone

TaxFix - Saturday, July 24th, 2010

Jambo: Unfortunately there is a 6 year deadline for tax rebates.

jeff - Wednesday, July 28th, 2010

i have had £594 deducted for a few years from my tax allowance through having private medical insurance through my employer (tax code 588L) as of november of 2009 i opted out of said medical insurance.. i am STILL on tax code 588L! as the PAYE Coding Notice i received for 2010/11 has stated.. my employer sent the P11D form to the inland revenue in may which denoted a benefit of just £30 to me, being at the start of a new insurance cover.. when can i expect my tax code to become £6475? and have overpaid tax returned to me?

Brent - Saturday, July 31st, 2010

May the 20th I filed my tax return. I heard nothing back for a month and then on the 20th of June my return went in for security checks.
Can anyone explain to my what security checks are and how long do they take?

TaxFix - Sunday, August 1st, 2010

Brent: The Inland Revenue sometimes performs random security checks on tax refunds. They usually do not take more then 14 days but can take longer if there are backlogs with the tax office.

Northeast mum - Monday, August 9th, 2010

I am returning to work after being a stay at home mum. I havent worked in 21 yrs and do not have a p45 what do i do ?

TaxFix - Monday, August 9th, 2010

Northeast mum: You can use a P46 instead.

Northeast mum - Monday, August 9th, 2010

Where would i apply for either p45 or p46? I have been a stay at home mum for so long. Need to sort this or be put on emerngy tax code

TaxFix - Tuesday, August 10th, 2010

Northeast mum: You can download a P46 here.

magos - Wednesday, August 11th, 2010

I want to ask you about tax return I was asylum seeker recently six years I did’nt get peper I Got peper now from home office can I get pay back between 2004/2010. tell me about that

trina72 - Thursday, September 2nd, 2010

i filed my tax return online this year and was due a refund of 951.00 i was also beclared bankcrupt, they told me they were sending my rebate to official reciever, this was 6 months ago, i have since been discharged and my tax account is still showing rebate due of 951.00 my OR has said they wont be chasing any money now how will i get my refund of tax ?? very confused!!!

laura - Tuesday, September 7th, 2010

my husband has just had a bill for £1004 after completing his tax return. He works for a company and they pay all appropriate tax so why this large bill?

andyplumbob - Saturday, September 18th, 2010

i had a stroke last dec i was paid flat money for 3 months the had employment benefits when i now have to leave that job because i have had 2 move from the area if i return 2 work can i claim a tax rebate

TaxFix - Monday, September 20th, 2010

andyplumbob: Your eligibility for a tax refund depends on how much you earn and how much you pay in tax during the year. You can use our tax rebate calculator to estimate if you are due one.

alan - Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010

i have been out of the country and out of work for two years and claimed nothing. can i claim any tax back or welfare ? if so how do i ago about it, I now live in ireland and they won’t recognise me.

TaxFix - Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010

alan: If you left the UK after previously working there you can apply for a tax rebate. You should have been given a P45 when you stopped working, do you have this? If so you can apply for your tax rebate here.

maggie - Thursday, September 23rd, 2010

does the wftc and the inland revenue check with each other has far has you employmnet status is concerned

karl - Wednesday, September 29th, 2010

I have recently filled out self assment for the last 5 years for mileage relief as I never thought of it before. For each of the years I am due a figure totalling 6k over the 5 year period. September 2009 I was declared bankrupt and discharged early after 6 months. Hmrc have just told me that they have just paid the official receiver my 6k payment. The OR said they would give me back any money for fuel claimed as long as the form they get states a break down, however hmrc told me they just send a cheque saying this figure is a tax over payment. Am I entitled to claim this money as I sense from all attitudes concerned that I won’t get a penny ?

cleary Mrs - Thursday, October 7th, 2010

I left my job on august16 but my ex boss won’t give me my P45 I know he has had it since september 6th also owes me tax which was deducted from me in cash and not entered in the books what can i do

TaxFix - Thursday, October 7th, 2010

cleary Mrs: You can write to your employer and ask for a statement of earnings on company headed paper. This can act as a replacement for a P45. At the end of the tax year in April 2011 you will be able to claim your tax back.

Robert Hodson - Monday, November 1st, 2010

How can i as a paye tax payer recieve a bill for
unpaid tax for £378 when i have no input for my tax code, which is determined by the tax man thru my employers

TaxFix - Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010

Robert Hodson: You can still underpay tax if you are on PAYE. Your employer could out you on the wrong tax code. Even if this happens the Inland Revenue says its your responsibility to pay the correct tax

kk - Friday, November 5th, 2010

ive recieved a tax refund by cheque, put in my bank account but have been told by bank that they have missed placed or they have lost the cheque, then they stated the not responsable for this, help what or where do i go from here to get my money back.

TaxFix - Friday, November 5th, 2010

kk: You can contact the tax office that issued the cheque and ask them to reissue it. They will cancel the first tax refund cheque and send you a new one.

jools - Sunday, November 7th, 2010

can i have a UTR number whilst claiming jobseekers allowance?

sue kemp - Tuesday, November 9th, 2010

How do I find out if I am due a tax rebate??

kyle chapman - Tuesday, November 9th, 2010

i have had all my paper work out through the post im just waiting now for my check how long does it take?

susan carmichael - Wednesday, November 10th, 2010

i am currently on the sick and i was wondering if im entitled to a tax rebate,,

TaxFix - Thursday, November 11th, 2010

sue kemp:It all depends on how much you earn and how much you pay in tax. You can check to see if you are due a rebate by using our tax rebate calculator here

TaxFix - Thursday, November 11th, 2010

susan carmichael: It all depends on how much you earn and how much you pay in tax. You can check to see if you are due a rebate by using our tax rebate calculator here

Angela - Tuesday, November 16th, 2010

How long does a cheque paid to my son take to clear into he’s bank account from the HM Revenue & Customs

TaxFix - Wednesday, November 17th, 2010

Angela: Normally it clears within 7 days.

Hannah long - Wednesday, November 24th, 2010

I called the tax office last week to check wether I’m owed a tax rebate the answer was – yes at least £950 how long will it take to come through?

TaxFix - Wednesday, November 24th, 2010

Hannah long: Rebates usually take between 4-8 weeks but can take longer if there are backlogs with your tax office.

grant donaldson - Tuesday, November 30th, 2010

i received a tax assesment a month ago ,saying i was owed 4,000.when will i receive my money.

TaxFix - Wednesday, December 1st, 2010

grant donaldson: Refunds usually take 14 days after the Inland Revenue has sent a letter. You can call the tax office that you sent you the letter to get an update.

Craig - Thursday, December 2nd, 2010

Am i responsible for telling my new employer and or inland revenue my tax code when i start work?

TaxFix - Thursday, December 2nd, 2010

Craig: Your employer normally assigns your tax code based on the P45 that you give them.

Jenny - Sunday, December 5th, 2010

I am leaving my job in a week as a s/e agent, my accountant has sorted out my tax bill for Jan 2011< can I not just clear what is owed without paying the lump sum up front to July 2011 please advice

thanks Jenny

Ruth - Sunday, January 9th, 2011

Trying to sign in to online tax return using UTR that they gave me last January plus other details which I know are all correct but it will not let me in, do they issue a new UTR every time to do a return, can’t get through on phone and need to do this urgently.

Many thanks.

Cheryl - Thursday, January 13th, 2011

Hi, I was previously self-employed, but am now on Job Seekers Allowance. I just recieved a letter this morning saying I need to file my tax returns by 31st January. Where do I stand on having to pay HMRC if I am no longer working?

donna - Monday, January 31st, 2011

if you are below the tax threshold will you still get a late returns fine ?

TaxFix - Tuesday, February 1st, 2011

donna: You will get an automatic fine but you can usually get this reversed if you contact your tax office.

paul windever - Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011

hello could you help me i need to fined out what i earned april 09 to april 2010 for tax credits
hope to hear from you soon

Andrew - Thursday, February 3rd, 2011

I got a tax refund in october which was only a small amount, however the cheque accidentally went through the wash and was destroyed. Do you know if they charge a fee to reissue a cheque and who to call to arrange this?

anon - Wednesday, February 9th, 2011

A friend works for a company gets paid cash his boss
Says that he pays tax an ni out of his wages but doesnt
Recieve a wage slip an has never got a p60 how does
He go about makin sure all tax an ni has been paid?

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 9th, 2011

Andrew: You can call your local tax office to reissue the cheque. They shouldn’t charge a fee.

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 9th, 2011

paul windever: You can contact your employers and ask for a statement of earnings on company headed paper.

sue hunter - Thursday, February 10th, 2011

ihave paid 50per cent tax that carnt be right on my redundece

paul - Friday, February 11th, 2011

hi! please help,due to mental illness i have not donea tax return for two years,i am now getting help to put things right as in a lot of debt andthe tax office have estimated and added ongoing charges,if i get an accountenet now with letters from my doctor/hospital,will they reassess my taxes?
Id really appreciate your help

Sue - Friday, February 11th, 2011

Hi, my husband changed his job on 2007 and was paying emergency tax. In December 2007 he received a tax rebate in his wages. The inland revenue have now written to us stating that we owe them tax for the year2007/2008.Is this right can they after so long demand this money.Thanks

Sandra - Wednesday, February 16th, 2011

This is the first year i have claimed Tax back . i sent it away in December got a letter 10th February to say was in hand telephoned today and told it could take another 6 weeks while they do security checks.Is this usual feel like criminal.

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 16th, 2011

Sandra: It is not uncommon for HMRC to perform security checks on your tax refund, it’s nothing to worry about.

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 16th, 2011

Sue: Unfortunately they can go back as far as 6 years.

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 16th, 2011

paul: You can write to them and tell them about your circumstances, it is up to them how they assess it but it may help.

Sandra - Wednesday, February 16th, 2011

Does anyone know how long the HMRC take to do security checks and do the know what they do, do they contact you. i would not have know my claims for having a security check ubless i phoned. - Saturday, February 19th, 2011

I have just received this E-mail which seems to be s scam and you should be aware of

Please Submit Your Refund Payment

hm revenue & customs to you (BCC)

Dear Applicant:

Following an upgrade of our computer systems and review of our records we have
investigated your payments and latest tax returns over the past years, our
calculations show you have made over payments of 196.15GBP
Due to the high volume of refunds you must complete the online application.

Your refund may take up to 6 weeks to process please make sure you complete the
form correctly.

In order to process your refund you will need to complete the attached
application form.

hm revenue & customs

Copyright 2011, All rights reserved.

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 Yes, htis looks like a spam Email, I would delete it and not respond to it.

sarah - Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011

i work full time but also do some free lance drama work and wondered- can i have a UTR for free lance work as well as working my full time day job? thanks

kerry - Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011

my husband put in a old self assessment 2003 last year he was on a PAYE scheme inland revenue have said he well not recieve any money and he will be charged tax AGAIN?? Is this true.

magda - Friday, February 25th, 2011

my husband is a self employer and i worked in his bisness do i need get p60 from him or just tax certyficat?

pete - Saturday, February 26th, 2011

when filling my tax return what happens if i use the figure on my p45 instead of my p60?They both are different.

Kerry - Saturday, February 26th, 2011

Myself and my husband owned a rental property which we submitted a tax return for. In my name under my NI and UTR but linking in my husbands NI and salary details. We paid what was owed on the 4 Jan 2011, this morning my husband has recievd a fine for non submission of his tax return. I am baffled, he is clearly stated throughout mine that he is owner of the property etc etc. surely we weren’t supposed to do 2 for the same thing? Any guidance would eb appreciated. MTs

neil smith - Monday, February 28th, 2011

being selfemployed can i claim back my accountancy fees

Andrew D Townsend - Tuesday, March 1st, 2011

I retired on 30th August 2008 aged 65, five months into the tax year, my personal allowance for that year was 6035, my total income for the whole year was less than £21800, can I now use a personal allowance of 9030 for the whole year or for 7/12 of the year ?

anonymous - Tuesday, March 8th, 2011

My accountant said he has filed my last tax 2 returns but i dont think he has , what are the concequences ? and how can i find out if returns have been submitted ?

william Armit - Friday, March 11th, 2011

How much money is a retired 64yr old married man allowed to earn before tax?

Anonymous - Sunday, March 13th, 2011

I’ve just received a tax rebate cheque but it’s in my old married name which changed 14 years ago can I still cash it or will I have to have it changed?

anno - Monday, March 14th, 2011

unemployed from mid jan 2011 will i get a tax rebate after 5th april?

jad - Monday, March 14th, 2011

were do i retrieve my tax code im self employed and need it to put my rebate in online?

TaxFix - Monday, March 14th, 2011

anno: Maybe, it depends on how much you earned and paid in tax during the tax year. If you know the amounts you can check using our calculator.

liverpool - Monday, March 14th, 2011

i got £9300 in 2009/10 and paid £920 tax will i get it all back or just some,and will it come after april 5th

TaxFix - Tuesday, March 15th, 2011

liverpool: Based on our tax rebate calculator, you would be due a tax rebate of £355

Irene - Monday, March 21st, 2011

How do I make a complaint? I have been waiting 5 months now for a tax refund for my late partner and every time I call up chasing it they just say someone will call me back and nobody ever does.

sophie - Tuesday, March 22nd, 2011

I have just paid in a cheque from hm revenue and I wish barcleys bank, how long would that take to clear?

sam - Thursday, March 31st, 2011

i have been waiting sine december, wen i got a letter from hmrc to say they have my new address, for my tax rebate cheque. i have waited the amount of time they have said and still nothing!!noone at hmrc is given me ne answers to y this is!! can you help

John Hawker - Monday, April 4th, 2011

Some time ago I was told that I owed £380.00 from 2008-9. I queried this and was told that the mistake arose because my total income was above £25,000.00 and that decreases the amount of tax free allowance I am allowed. I was told that the money would be reclaimed over three years but I have just had another coding notice which states that I owe over £400.00. I telephoned to query this only to be told that the figure is £800.00 and the fault was an incorrect Tax code used by one of my employers.
I have pointed out that neither fault was of my making nor under my control. Is there anything else that I may do to srt out this worrying problem?

Anonymous  - Sunday, April 10th, 2011

I need a ” Statement of earnings ” or a P60, from my ex husband cause I need to prove to the HOME OFFICE that on they year that we got divorced he was working and paying taxes, and without that I cant apply for my leave to remain so will have to leave the country.
He doesn’t live on the UK anymore and I dont know where he lives. Without the P60 or The Statement of earnings. I have all his details and I know the name of the last company he worked before he left.
Please help me as I dont know what to do, and without those papers I will have to leave the country.
Thank you

Andrew Cunningham - Wednesday, April 13th, 2011

I was self employed for 3 years, the first year, my refund was subject to security checks, the second i was penalised for earnings prior to self employment, even though i had paid the base rate of tax on it, and for the year 09/10, my refund has once again been subjected to security checks. One cannot blame me for being victimised since it seems that my surname always manages to get the inland revenue messing me about something chronic. IS THIS NORMAL. The phonecalls have cost me a fortune, and in todays economic climate, the refund i am due will really help clear the debt amassed from self employment/sub-contracting.

dale - Friday, April 15th, 2011

I lost my job in january 2011 and moved house at the end of january 2011 im no where near where i used to live or work but and im pretty sure that my p45 and p60 have gone to my old address can i get copies? And how do find out if i am due a tax rebate without them?

anon - Saturday, April 16th, 2011

for the last tax year my employee has been using the wrong tax code it should have been 675l he was using 489l as he was not notified of change in tex code

Moinnin Dosso - Monday, April 18th, 2011

I opened saving account for my children with Halifax but for some reasons the interest on their saving were taxed.
I went to a branch and I was advised to contact Inland Revenue for refund. How will I go about this?

harry waterer - Tuesday, April 19th, 2011

my parents had a tax investigation 6 years ago and they paid 4000 pounds then but did not get a reminder for 6 years at present at which the inland revenue have demanded 6 thousand pounds. Do they have to pay it?

anonymous - Wednesday, April 20th, 2011

what does it mean exactly if you have been “selected for additional security checks”?

It says i will hear within an additional 4 weeks, as i was initially waiting to receive a refund after 2 weeks, however upon calling to see where the payment is, they said i have been selected for additional security checks?

what exactly are the checks specifically and what is it that they wil be checking and does this mean they will be visiting me to check my documentation and receipts for the last 7 years etc????

please answer as thorough as possible.

kind regards

LM - Wednesday, April 20th, 2011

I moved house 2 years ago and informed all necessary parties. I recently discovered that my work had not changed my address on payroll therefore Inland Revenue were unaware that I had moved. They have recently forwarded mail onto me, this inlcuded a tax rebate cheque for the year 2008-2009. This cheque has expired (desipte me only just receiving it) as it was sent in October. Is it possible for the cheque to be re-issued or is this amount now lost?


Sam - Thursday, April 21st, 2011

I was made redundant in Nov 2010 whilst on maternity leave. I am at present a full time mum, and was wondering how I get my p60 ? As I’m pretty sure I’m due a tax return . Thanks

Danny - Monday, April 25th, 2011

Hi Taxfix, I filed a return online and I rang them up a day later to ask them how it was going. They told me that everything looks ok and she went off to speak to the manager, she came back and said that they will issue a payment, but it will take up to 14 days. I still haven’t recieved the payment after 14 days. There has been a few bank holidays recently but does the 14 days count as working days or just normal days? could you tell me abit more about the security checks etc??

muhammmad - Thursday, April 28th, 2011

i am on job seekers allowance since end of december 2010,do i qualify for any tax rebates?

JLB - Thursday, May 5th, 2011

Last October (2010) I received communication from the HMRC that I was due a small tax rebate due to being on the wrong tax code for the previous year (tax paid by my company). I duly recieved the rebate a month later. However, as my tax code was due to change again in April 2011 and checks were made by my employers accountant, it came to light that the Inland Revenue never notified my company of my new tax code and I therefore overpaid for 2010-11 too. I called the inland revenue to check my new tax code and ask for a caluculation for the last 3 years, but as it was shortly before the end of the financial year they were unable to give me a calculation for 2010-11 until receiving a P60. The P60 was submitted approximately 3 weeks ago and I have received notification of my new (correct) tax code from the Inland Revenue (and this is on my latest pay slip), but no mention of a tax rebate. Sseveral colleagues have recently realised that they are in the same position as the company never received notification of new tax codes for them either. How long would it normally be expected to process and do I need to take any further action myself?

jim elliot - Tuesday, May 10th, 2011

I started working in october, and i was paying emergancy tax, just wondering if i will get anything back ?

mandy - Friday, May 13th, 2011

i have received 2 cheques from inland revenue but the date is 14/03/2011 and has my banks head office address under my name am having problems trying to get them cashed any ideas cash convertors and cheque centre wouldn,t take them

shazia - Saturday, May 14th, 2011

how can i apply tax return and can i get tax back

tat - Tuesday, May 17th, 2011

My employer went into liquidation 6 months ago. No P45 or P60 given. My Latvian colleagues need this to claim their tax back. Do they need a statement of earnings from our ex employer, or is
there another way?

Stuart Hillebrandt - Wednesday, June 1st, 2011

I am due a tax rebate but my accountant is asking me for my tax reference code. Please advise me on how to get this?

Louise Graham - Saturday, June 4th, 2011

From April to August last year i was employed by Wolverhampton City Council and need proof of my earnings for that period how would i get this

anon - Thursday, June 9th, 2011

Why not send the cheque with the letter? I have just received the paper work but no cheque?? Who knows when it will be here?

M Matthews - Thursday, June 9th, 2011

We have owned 1 buy to let property for 30 years. The first 3 years we lived there and then we moved and have rented it out ever since and declared it on my tax return.We are now thinking of selling the property and realise there will be a capital gain liability. Is there any advantage in moving back into the property for a period as main residence to reduce the capital gains tax

frank sutton - Thursday, June 9th, 2011

irecently completed a small job for a company who will not pay me, however they paid others in cash how do i stand legally they have said my work is not up to standard( the first time in 30years)but i know there was at least 4 different men who worked on the project

Mrs. Olive Atkinson - Saturday, June 11th, 2011

I retired from full time empoloyment in April 2008 and since have paid tax on my interest in a savings account with the HALIFAX I have informed my branch in Eastcote Middx and they have actioned this on their system but have told me to get in touch with inland revenue to claim back the rest from them would you be good enough to send me the necessary form to fill in many thanks

syl - Wednesday, June 29th, 2011

I am self employed my husband is 61 and retired on a very small pension can I claim any of his tax allowance

Gareth - Thursday, June 30th, 2011

Hi i did my self assessment online, just been told my refund is going thru security checks is there any way i can speed this up or can i now employ an agent to speed things up?

audrey - Tuesday, July 5th, 2011

Hi my name is Audrey,

I’m a french citizen who have been living and working in the UK for the past 10 years. The first 8 years I worked for different companies. For the last 2 years I’ve been self employed and studying in the same time. I heard that I should have claimed my tax or I will lose them. Could you help me out and give me some tips.
Thank you

annmarie - Monday, July 11th, 2011

My partner did not receive his p60 this year and I need it for my tax credits.can I phone and ask for his final figures. I only have till the end of july to claim.

angela - Friday, July 15th, 2011

Am i resonsible for my deceased husband tax debt as he left no money

tthomas - Friday, July 22nd, 2011

Hi – made redundant Aug 2010, claiming JSA at end of year started new job 6 April 2011, never had a P60, need one to claim child tax credits or lose the lot – any ideas?

anna barter - Sunday, July 24th, 2011

can i claim for nhs, uniform laundering on line

anna - Sunday, July 24th, 2011

can i claim on line tax rebate for laundering my uniforms ?

Dannypearce - Tuesday, July 26th, 2011

Want to change adress

elizabeth clarke - Tuesday, August 2nd, 2011

i have been off work sick for over a year would i be entitled to a tax rebate

melani - Monday, August 15th, 2011

Tax office rediuse my child tax credit from 113 to 37£.when I rang they said over paid.But big different they reduse.they also said over pay is 550£.can you explane from augest to 2012 aprial why they reduce big amount.can i ask any where to advice.than you.

jackie puxted - Wednesday, August 17th, 2011

how long should a tax refund take ?

Anonymous - Friday, August 19th, 2011

How long does it generally take for HMRC to pay out a lump sum payment from my defered pension?

M Redhead - Sunday, August 21st, 2011

I have P60 to send on request, address I have is :

HM Revenue and Customs
Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment
PO BOX 4000
CF14 8HR

Is this correct ?

james lomas - Sunday, August 21st, 2011

need my ni number

Sue N  - Sunday, August 21st, 2011

I recently contacted the the Inland Revenue to claim for logoed uniform laundry expenses which dated back to 2005.As it turned out they owed me

Tax Fix - Sunday, August 21st, 2011

@Elizabeth Clarke

It depends how much you have earned in the tax year and how much tax you have been paid. The tax year is from April to April and so it will depend how much tax you paid on your earnings in the tax year 2010/11.

If you have paid tax but been off sick this tax year you will normally have to wait until the end of the tax year (April 5th 2012) to check whether you’re entitled to a tax rebate.

Tax Fix - Sunday, August 21st, 2011


It is possible that you have overpaid tax credits – perhaps if you didn’t let the Tax Credit Office know about changes to your circumstances.

The Tax Credit Office should be able to let you know how the mistake occurred and how they have worked out what you owe.

Tax Fix - Sunday, August 21st, 2011

@Jackie Puxted

It can take anything from several weeks to several months to process a tax rebate. Often you have to be patient, although you can call your Tax Office to check the progress of your refund.

Tax Fix - Sunday, August 21st, 2011

@Sue N

Thanks for letting us know. Always pleasing to hear a good news story where someone is owed a tax refund!

Gareth Bailey - Friday, August 26th, 2011

I keep on getting E-Mails saying that I’m due a Tax Refund could you tell me if that is true or not please

Neville Jones - Friday, August 26th, 2011

Sent my P87 off in April still waiting! how long should a refund take?

Tax Fix - Friday, August 26th, 2011

@Gareth Bailey

If you’re receiving e-mails saying you can expect a tax refund it’s extremely likely that these are a scam. Don’t reply to any of them or provide any of your personal details.

Speak to your Tax Office to see if you’re due a rebate.

andreea - Saturday, August 27th, 2011

Hi!can u help me with sth please? “our reference” is the same with the utr number cause my father received a letter in which it was written a number of 10 digits but it did not say precisely that it was the only said “our reference” and i’m not sure if it’s the same thing.please if u can answer as soon as possible i’d be grateful.Thank u

Elisabeth - Saturday, August 27th, 2011

My husband recently died and I am entitled to half his pension.About £800 a month.I also get a small pension of my own £300 a month + the government pension.I have recently recieved a tax code of 221 because my husband had not been paying enough tax on his pension.Is this right?

Maggie - Thursday, September 1st, 2011

I live in Spain but have to complete a UK self assessment tax form. My state pension is paid in to my Spanish bank account in euros. How do I find out how much I have been paid in the last tax year in sterling?

Georgina Morris - Thursday, September 1st, 2011

I left my last job about 3 months ago and have been in contact with the previous employer every week asing for my P45 back but have not had it. They told me they would send it on but now won`t even answer the phone to me. This behaviour makes me suspicious that they were not paying my tax or NI. Another ex work colleugue has the same problem with them. What can I do, it is law that she should of given our P45`s to us when we left??? Thanks

carlos - Monday, September 5th, 2011

how can i now if i got a u.t r number or not

julie - Tuesday, September 6th, 2011

I am employed part time, but i also wish to start a job part time self employed how dose this afect my tax.

Jean Wright - Thursday, September 8th, 2011

I was made redundant last tax year and the company is now in liquidation. It is too late to get my pay (4 month rule) from the RP fund, though i will get my redundancy and holiday pay (taxed) soon.

My payslips and P45 show money I never received, but the tax office were paid Tax and NI as shown. My gross pay is shown as £8000 but I only received £4000 net that tax year.

How do I reclaim the overpaid NI and Tax ? The tax office say I need to prove I didn’t receive the pay. I have letters from my boss stating what I am owed, bank statements, and a Tribunal Ruling. But none of them count as proof.

J Titley - Monday, September 12th, 2011

Hi can you let me know how long it takes for the inlnd revenue to update a person’s change of employer. Thanks Jo.

Ashley - Friday, September 16th, 2011

if i have a self employment certificate and number in france, can i use it in the UK

tanya - Sunday, September 18th, 2011

hi, my partner,s accountant submitted all paperwork in may for cis repayment, middle of august we were told it had been chosen for random security checks, 2-6 weeks, we are coming into the sixth week do you think we will receive it and why does it take so long, is it right in saying payment has been agreed before it is chosen, it has been 20 weeks altogether, i think think this is disgusting.

susan - Wednesday, September 21st, 2011

my son is due a refund of 628.00. It was sent to a wrong bank account no. and the bank returned it. Now they are sending a cheque but say he has been chosen for a random security check. What are they checking for?

ch - Friday, September 23rd, 2011

once submitted how long does a tax rebate take in general

Jeanette Grant - Monday, September 26th, 2011

I need help to find out inland revenue tax details for 1984-1985-1987-1988 In 1985 I went to live in America were I stayed for 3 years I came back to England to live in 1987 I was not working and I was supporting my partner as I was buying stock in America so that he could sell in his shop. I have been with the same person now for the past 28 years I have been used as I was unable to work and I worked for him as he was self employed when I was on his books as wife. I never had a payslip from him and everything was in his name. Before living in America I worked for Lewisham counil. I also worked for a short while for an office on Baker Street but can not remember the name of the company. Is there any way Ican find out the history to what taxes I have paid and a record of where I lived at the time. I am taking my xpartner to court as he is claiming he never knew me and I never worked for him. If there is any infomation you can give me to prove that I was employed as his wife please let me know. Thank you

Scorpio - Wednesday, September 28th, 2011

My husband died earier this month. Would it be more beneficial to pay for his funeral expences from my own savings or from his?

josh - Monday, October 3rd, 2011

I was working as self employed from Jan 2011 till may 2011. I now need to complete my tax return but don’t have any evidence of my payments other than my last month. After ringing over and over again to the company i was working for they still haven’t sent me any (Useless Admin Team). Can I contact the CIS and get them to send me my proof of earnings and deduction for my tax return?

Louisa - Saturday, October 8th, 2011

My ex and I share a house. We never married and split up several years ago. He works abroad and occasionally stays at the house if he is in the UK. A mortgage is in his name and a deed of trust, done when we were together, gives me the bulk of the equity. I want to sell the house to get my moeny but he tells me he hasn’t paid tax for 4 years and selling the house will alert HMRC ad he’ll be in trouble. It got me worried: might HMRC have a claim on my share of the house?

Nat - Saturday, October 8th, 2011

I received a tax return and a haven’t changed my surname with the inland revenue yet. Wil they take my tax return back of me because of change of surname? ?

anon - Wednesday, October 12th, 2011

How long does a cheque from inland revenue take to process at a bank?

Michael Bolton - Friday, October 14th, 2011

My wife has been on long term incapacity benefit. Can I claim her tax allowance?

Jules - Wednesday, October 19th, 2011

My daughter has had a tax rebate but it has gone to her old address. Can she still cash it?

Sandra - Sunday, October 23rd, 2011

I have discovered a young friend of mine has not received any tax forms to fill in ever.
She was entirely ignorant of the need to do so. What is her legal position?
I doubt she owes much in the way of tax as she has only had two years employment.

wael - Monday, October 24th, 2011

i want to ask how i can stop if i am not longer self assessment

wael - Monday, October 24th, 2011

how i can tell the inland revenue that i am no longer self assessment

abel sousa - Monday, October 24th, 2011

If I apply for tax refound and I will live UK , when I can comeback and work again in UK ?

Michael - Tuesday, October 25th, 2011

I am currently working in the offshore sector of the north sea off norwich. I have been informed that i can claim most of my tax money back. Could you answer this question for me. Thank you

Charles Mcfail - Wednesday, October 26th, 2011

I stopped working 7 years ago. My previous employer has recently made a settlement with me on a long running dispute.I am being paid a lump sum by my employer but they have stated they intend to deduct income tax at 20 % and National insurance contributions.
I am not in employment or seeking employment. I am 62 years old and have paid sufficient NI for a full state pension.

I would like them to pay the full amount without deductions if they insist on paying the income tax can I stop them paying the NI payments.

trudy wood - Friday, October 28th, 2011

i want to claim for having to launder my work uniform for up to six years.can i do this?

Maureen - Friday, October 28th, 2011

I have 3 part-time jobs. I pay BR Tax on 2 and get my allowance on main one. It appears that the smallest job changed my coding from BR to full allowance some time ago for no apparent reason and as I only do a few shifts a year as holiday relief I hadn’t noticed. I am now being asked for unpaid tax to be paid back to HMRC. Can my employer withhold my full wages to do so until this is paid back? It is causing me financial hardship? Thank you

gareth walker - Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011

i have recieved a cheque for a income tax reebate but i dont have a bank account what do i do

andrew - Saturday, November 5th, 2011

how long does it take for a repayment from hmrc direct into my bank?

Denise Waller - Tuesday, November 8th, 2011

How much can i claim for laundering my work uniform at home and how far back can i claim.
Is it for days per week or a yearly thing

Brett - Friday, November 11th, 2011

i left my job around 2 months ago i have since asked them for my p45 on many occasions and still havent recieved it. now i am working for a differant company and paying emergency tax even tho i filled out a p46 how do i go about sorting this?

Pam Russell - Tuesday, November 15th, 2011

How do I get a refund of tax deducted by a Bank?
I am not a tax payer and have filled in the appropriate form at the Bank (Santander)

gemma - Tuesday, November 15th, 2011

anyone no about the vol tax saving scheme for shared fishermen my husband is in it but the money he has paid is not showing on hes online tax return ?

Vincenzo - Thursday, November 17th, 2011

Hi guys

I have left the UK and my company has sent me a photocopy of my P45 and not the origional. Can this be used all the same to claim? thanks

kerry hyland - Thursday, November 17th, 2011

can i cash my tax rebate in at my local post office?

Stephane Auvy - Monday, November 21st, 2011

Can tax return be paid to someone elese account.

tommyt - Monday, November 21st, 2011

i have recently filed my self assessment tax return online, how long will i wait for my rebate please

Mazz - Monday, November 21st, 2011

My husband and I moved here in August from the states, although I am from here I have been living and working the US for 22 years. I am now working here I had retained my National Insurance number on me, but recently received a “Pay as you earn” New Tax Reference card through the mail, it doesn’t say I am supposed to call but I have no clue what it is or why I received it….It has no letter with it!

tracy hunter - Monday, November 21st, 2011

i only have 1 job on a low income and i am paying tax should i be

frank - Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011

got a cheque rang up and asked to put it in daughters name , they said send it back and they will , its been nearley a month now thank you

Janet - Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011

I was made redundant on the 31/3/2009 I only received job seekers allowance for 6 months.
Would I have been entitled to a tax rebate.

klw - Monday, November 28th, 2011

Hello, I am working freelance and I am currently waiting for my UTR number to arrive, hopefully by 14th Dec….. The person I am working for has been paying my invoices so far but has now said she will not pay anymore until I can give her my UTR… I have forwarded her the correspondence from HMRC with reference to its arrival date but she is not paying…… Is this correct procedure?…. I thought the UTR is for my online self assessment purposes. Many thanks

Pam Russell - Tuesday, November 29th, 2011

How can I reclaim tax deducted by my bank when I am not a taxpayer?

kathryn - Wednesday, November 30th, 2011

can the tax office ask for money owed from 10 years ago?

Ian MCCULLOCH - Wednesday, December 7th, 2011

I have a letter to complete regarding back pay for professional fees. The letter requests my
Pay Code & Inland revenue references?
I do not know where I would find these as looked on my P40 and they are not obvious. – Please advise.
Many thanks

anon - Friday, December 9th, 2011

am entitled to interest on my tax rebate which i have waited for 8 months this rebate was the years 2008 to 2009 and 2009 to 2010

Karen - Friday, December 9th, 2011

If I pay my Tax Bill by credit card is it classed as a cash transaction or purchase?

Maria B - Monday, December 12th, 2011

I just received a tax calculation form and in the PAYE Income there is R=Refund statement. This figure is next to my occupational pension figure. What does this figure signifies. I thought the BR code means 20% tax deducted but on my statement it works out 11.15%.

Robert  - Monday, December 12th, 2011

On December 5th had letter from inland revenue saying I had a tax rebate of 500 pounds approx. I’d given them my bank details but am still waiting for money to go into my account!

Anonymous - Monday, December 12th, 2011

If I am doing a tax return for 2010/2011 for a property I rent out and my bank accounts and mortgage are in my maiden name (got married sept 2011) but my place have work have changed everything to my married name, how do I fill out the tax returns online? In my maiden name which my UTR number is in or in my married name?

Paula - Monday, December 12th, 2011

would like ask what kind of documents(for employees and for self employed) do I need from Irland Ravenue when I decide to return to my country,

becky - Tuesday, December 13th, 2011

i have lost my cheque for repayment of income tax, what should i do?

Robby - Wednesday, December 14th, 2011

I’m not Uk resident and having previously worked in UK waters offshore for several years paid UK tax and NIC, I am now working exclusively in Brazil for non-UK company and still deducted for UK Tax.I sumbitted a form P85 together with form P45 on March 2011 and wait for 8 months to be refunded only for tax year 2010/2011.I still due for refund 2011/2012 and NT code issue.
Do you have any idea how long I have to wait on this?or why takes that long.


Kirsty - Wednesday, December 14th, 2011

I was originally informed at beginning of November that my tax rebate would take 4 weeks to transfer into my account. This hasn’t happened so after chasing them I have been informed that they are doing some security checks and I should receive a letter within a further 4-6 weeks. No one can tell me what these checks are (is it on me or the payment?) or what the letter will tell me i.e is there a chance my rebate will be withdrawn? Hopefully you can shed some light on this for me.

Nikki Hughes - Wednesday, December 14th, 2011

The Tax office have informed me that I have overpaid tax and am due a refund, however, they say that they will either pay me by cheque or carry the amount forward to a later year. I would like the money to be paid back to m. Do I have a right to insist on a repayment rather than them carrying that amount forward?

james - Sunday, December 18th, 2011

how do i get a copy of my tax calculation for 09/10

Emily - Monday, December 19th, 2011

My partner has been out of work for the last 5 years and i have been supporting him for the duration. He has been told that he needs to fill out a tax return but has not had an income, how can i fill it out. We have very recently started up a business together but how can i complete a tax return for him when he has not worked or earned please help this is driving me mad as all they say on the phone is that it needs to be completed

Adam - Tuesday, December 20th, 2011


Could anyone answer my question please..? I filled my self assessment form in, in June and have only just received a letter saying your rebate of x amount of money is being processed. What does this mean? Thanks adam

brad - Tuesday, December 20th, 2011

i was self employed for 2 months an didnt really know about payin tax an about tax returns or anything really now i have a bill about 900 how can i sort this out as i dont know where to start on the forms an they date back to 09 i fink and as i said i worked for 2months only

claire - Wednesday, December 21st, 2011

my partner went bankrupt may 2010. he was put on nt tax code for the tax yr which we understood. we were not asked to pay this extra money to OR, but were under a ipa for a diff amount which we pay every month. we thought that any tax that had already been deducted when he went bankrupt was going to be paid direct to OR, however we have now received a letter from inland revenue saying they dont have authority to do this and will refund direct to partner. do we need to contact the or and tell them or will they ask for money? i dont want to have money sat in account (that partner will spend) if its going to be requested and they’ll want money straight away but i also dont want to ring and change the situation we currently have (ie them suddenly say wheres the tax you didnt pay all yr?) if you know what i mean. advice appreciated.

rhi - Thursday, December 22nd, 2011

i recieved a rebate cheque can i cash this somewhere or does it have to go into a bank account

rhi - Thursday, December 22nd, 2011

i recieved a rebate cheque can i cash this somewhere or does it have to go into a bank account

kathleen martin - Monday, December 26th, 2011

having just retired am i entitled to a tax rebate

Branislav - Friday, December 30th, 2011

I just received a tax calculation with cheque for tax year 2007-2008 but I am not in the UK anymore. When I left the UK 2 years ago i went to bank to terminate my bank account. So is there way how to get my money back? Can I use that check in my bank in my country? Thank you very much for every advice.
BEst regards


anonymous - Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012

i was self employed and finished in june since then my wife has been claiming jobseekers for the both of us now I’ve started employment how do I get my p45

Jason - Wednesday, January 4th, 2012

i received a tax rebate letter In November 2011 and I am still awaiting my cheque any ideas how long they take to deliver, shall I just keep waiting or contact them? Thanks

Marjorie Heather Jones - Thursday, January 5th, 2012

My husband died last February and he dealt with all the Tax returns etc. I am at a loss to know what I am supposed to do about my taxes I receive half of my husband’s pension and also have a small teaching pension of my own and old age pension. Tax is taken at source from all of these. What must I do Now

Marjorie Heather Jones - Thursday, January 5th, 2012

My husband,Brian Melville Jones, died last February and he dealt with all the tax returns.I am at a loss to know what to do. I receive an old age pension and a small teaching pension together half of my husband’s pension. Tax from all of these monies is taken at source. What am I supposed to do now?

Marjorie Heather Jones - Thursday, January 5th, 2012

My husband,Brian Melville Jones, died last February and he dealt with all the tax returns.I am at a loss to know what to do. I receive an old age pension and a small teaching pension together half of my husband’s pension. Tax from all of these monies is taken at source. What am I supposed to do now?

Lisa - Thursday, January 5th, 2012

An employee of ours has just decided to quit is he entitled to the rest of his wages.

tracey - Saturday, January 7th, 2012

Just recieved a tax refund from HM Revenue & Customs, very nice. One problem though, I live in Spain, as it is a cheque format. What do I do with It!!!

Mrs c Catney - Tuesday, January 10th, 2012

How can I get copies of old tax returns

Eileen M.D. McLeod - Thursday, January 12th, 2012

I want to do my Short Tax return on line

michael - Tuesday, January 17th, 2012

i have just had a charge put on my property for 2ok and the tax man are still making my life murder over a debt over 10 years ago. an accountant filled in a tax return and kept the large rebate. i have 2-3 year returns outstanding and alot of losses that i believe can be offset bring this amout way down is this something you do or do you know a specialist company ? regards

Mrs Jones - Wednesday, January 18th, 2012

I have received a tax return, it was sent to my old address in November. The problem is, the name of the cheque is my maiden name…I married 2 years ago. How do I resolve this issue?


patricia macdonald - Saturday, January 21st, 2012

My sister left scotland 12 years ago, she has now returned with her two chilren to live the home office are looking for proof that she paid taxes when she lived here to allow the children to claim british citizenship how does she go about this?

mark walsh - Monday, January 23rd, 2012

i received a tax refund but cant cash cheque as i dont have a bank acount how can i get my refund

Jack Peters - Monday, January 23rd, 2012

I was self-employed and employed for the 2010-2011 year.. I have sent a Self Assessement tax return off online.. I am due £550, I am 20years old and would love the money soon… How long does this take?

Anon - Tuesday, January 24th, 2012

Help- I have tred to fill in my husbands Self assesssment on line but I don’t seem to have the corret password and ID. can you send us a Return Form. as we are running out of time.I have a terminalillness and we have just returned from 6 weeks abroad visiting our son.

Diti - Wednesday, January 25th, 2012

Hi, I went online to fill out self assesment tax return only to see that “it has already been done” I rang the helpline to ask who did it? They just said dont worry you have nothing to pay. What should I do?

ron spindler - Wednesday, January 25th, 2012

i was declared bancrupt at the end of jan 2011, do i need to file a tax return in jan 2012 ? please

c wilson - Thursday, January 26th, 2012

my son has recieved a cheque from inland revenue but does not have bank acc can i put it in mine

richard taylor - Thursday, January 26th, 2012

If a man becomes 65 in January does he get the higher tax allowance for the full year(9940) or on only a proportion of it for the rest of the year. Total income less than £20,000.

Paul casey hemming - Friday, January 27th, 2012

I have come to do my tax returns and I found that my folder with all my accounts in have gone missing . I filled in all my profits in August when I filed for my working tax credits . What do I do or can I do to complete my tax return with having lost my accounts ?


Emma ogle - Friday, January 27th, 2012

I have had a tax calculation letter stating it shows a tax repayment due for a number of years I’ve been working! I’ve had one cheque for year 2010-2011 will the rest come separate?

les - Saturday, January 28th, 2012

had to refund one cheque has beem issued another has been raised the 1st one gone through security checks does tht mean the second one will to

IKH - Sunday, January 29th, 2012

We both own property in joint names + we are just sorting our tax return can you tell us if the rent is aid in only one single name account do we both have to complete a tax return

Mr t MCgrath - Sunday, January 29th, 2012

If i have 2000.00 in one wage slip or 4000.00 how much tax will i pay

george - Monday, January 30th, 2012

how do I claim back tax for washing my uniform at home is it the p87 the iland revenue site is very confusing can i also claim for my trousers and the shoes that i have to wear which i buy myself

mr g g wren - Tuesday, January 31st, 2012

This my first year being self employed working when i want to, i am not sure what do

Anna - Sunday, February 5th, 2012


I lived in UK for 6 years and left permanently in December 2011. I was employed for last few years in english companies. Now I want to inform HMRC Revenue, that I left and I’d like to get a tax refund. I’m in Poland now and I prefer to contact them via post rather than phone,as phone call maybe expensive.
As far as I know I need to post original P45 and P85 to HMRC. Do I need to post any other documents and what is exact address to post them to?

Neil - Tuesday, February 7th, 2012

My son rents out 3 houses & completes self assessment. I have always done all management/accountancy for free. Now I am retired he is agreeable to me charging him. Is there a legel limit to my fees, will he get tax relief, do we need a written agreement to show for tax reasons? I realise I will have to complete self assessment.

Bell - Sunday, February 12th, 2012

I have worked for an airline for the last five years as ground staff, am I able to claim back tax for the up keep of my uniform?

Gordon - Tuesday, February 14th, 2012

I have left the UK and live in Spain. I recieved a rebate cheque to my UK postal address and have subsequently paid this into my Spanish bank, however nearly 1 month later there is no record of this clearing. Is that normal?

Wayne Morris - Thursday, February 16th, 2012

For the last two years I my earnings have been below the tax threshold so I don’t qualify for paying tax in my first job which is part time.I travel 80 miles every day to get to and from my place of work using my own transport and paying for my own fuel.(No Company help at all) However, I have a second part time job where I am a care for my brother in which I do pay tax, Can I claim for washing my clothes in my second job, or at least the fuel in my first part time job. Or is there anything in these circumstances I can claim a refund?
Up until 2010, I have worked full time, and have always been paying full tax.

anonymous - Friday, February 17th, 2012

my work needs three years work history but i only have two i was a housewife before that what can i do

lynsay - Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012

how long does a tax refund cheque take to clear?

whitley s - Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012

I have never recieved a tax rebate (other than when income tax is reduced in Budget) am I entitled/eligible having worked for almost 40 years?

donna - Thursday, March 1st, 2012

a got pay off in nov and put in for a tax refund av stil not hud word back, how long wil it take for them to get back 2 me

Mrs J Smith - Friday, March 2nd, 2012

Both my self and my husband are retired, As from April 2012 I will no longer have to pay tax on my state/private pension. Is it possible for my husband to claim my spare credits ?

Dean Honan - Monday, March 5th, 2012

I registered as self employed over two weeks ago now and have been working as a sub contractor since. However i can not get paid until my UTR arrives. Why does it take so long seeing as people need them as a matter of urgency?!?! Is there a number so i can chase this up?

ryan jone - Tuesday, March 6th, 2012

if i get a utr number and come out off work will i still get jobseekers allowance

paul - Tuesday, March 6th, 2012

i sent a letter for a tax relief for my uniform and i just want to know when i will hear about it

digger - Thursday, March 8th, 2012

Im claiming sick incurance and have been for 7 years i just wanted to make sure 588L was the right code ta.

cyrilbrownLtd;cyril browni - Monday, March 12th, 2012

i have had know tax return since tax year 2009 can u help me

debra alger - Monday, March 12th, 2012

i recieved a tax refund dated the 21st february and want to know if i need to tell my reciever as i went bankrupt on the 23rd february thankyou

Sam - Thursday, March 15th, 2012

I changed accountants recently and the old accountants haven’t been very co-operative with passing information on to the new accountants. I am now late submitting personal tax returns for my husband and I but the new accountants say they can’t do anything until they see what was submitted last year. How do I get copies of last years Personal tax Return ?

gary swift - Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012

hi how would i find out if am intitled to a tax rebate please can you help me

john strevens - Wednesday, April 4th, 2012

I pay tax on my pension and I got married on 31/03/2012 am I due a tax rebate

mary hayes - Wednesday, April 4th, 2012

Please could you tell me , having sold some shares in a company to establish capital gains tax exemption for 2011 to 2012, how soon I can but back those shares while allowing me to claim up to £10600 in capital gains for the current year

D Nicol - Wednesday, April 18th, 2012

Can i claim tax return with my p60?

Anthony Emery - Monday, April 23rd, 2012

im planning to leave the uk and live in poland ,am i entitled to a tax refund

Prabha Chandola - Saturday, May 5th, 2012

If you rent a room in your house do you have to pay tax on it

jay - Sunday, May 13th, 2012

i have just found an old tax letter with a cheque attached to it from HMREVENUE & customs dated 2010. Can i still put this cheque in my bank and will it clear??

mark mcgrath - Tuesday, June 5th, 2012

how long does a cheque from the inland revenue take to clear

natalie - Saturday, June 16th, 2012

I have just received my p60 and it says i am due a refund i finished my job this week do i wait for the refund or do i need to apply? thank you

kendall - Monday, June 18th, 2012

my son is now a father to twins will his tax code change he is not yet married can you help

Ariana Carolan - Friday, June 22nd, 2012

I’m off to pay my tax rebate cheque into my account, how long does it take to clear? as i really could do with the money , thanks

John James donnelly - Friday, July 6th, 2012

Like to know if my self assessment is being processed been waiting six Weeks

sally lewis-withers - Friday, September 7th, 2012

has my tax return been processed already?

sally lewis-withers - Friday, September 7th, 2012

have my reverse tax credit been processed as yet

Hannah - Monday, September 17th, 2012


I revisited my old house today and received post from the new owners and in it was a cheque tax rebate. Dated feb 12 is it still ok to cash in? Thanks

cara - Thursday, September 27th, 2012

i have lost my income tax repayment cheque. how can i get a new one from hm revenue and customs?

Gary pillok - Wednesday, October 3rd, 2012

Hi this is my first rebate and would like to know where to send and where can I collect

Krip - Monday, November 26th, 2012

I put in for my rebate at the start of september and am still waiting on a reply i have also phoned the hmrc my friend put in for his and 2 weeks later he got his. Why is this can anyone please enlighten me????

Lynda - Thursday, December 13th, 2012

I did my tax return self assessment the other day online with hmrc, it now says payment pending? I phoned hmrc to explain and they told me it was probably going theu a few security checks,how long does this take to go into my bank, and will it tell me on my self assessment that it has been released?

linda - Tuesday, January 8th, 2013

hi do i need a form to claim for washen my uniform i use for work

Paddy  - Thursday, March 7th, 2013

Hi I am currently receiving JSA and am just wondering can I apply for my UTR no. for when I start working? I never had one before because I have only worked abroad. Also what is the quickest way to get to done?

Zuzu - Thursday, March 7th, 2013

I need my ex husband p60 for my naturalisation application. He doesn’t want to help me. Is there anyway to get hold of them ?

TaxFix - Tuesday, March 19th, 2013

Zuzu: That’s not very nice of him. Unfortunately if he doesn’t want to give them to you then there is nothing you can really do, sorry.

Bains - Tuesday, March 19th, 2013

I am doing some research and I would just like to know… If I had 5 shops and do 1 tax return, how will I know which shop pays which tax?

jack leggett - Saturday, March 23rd, 2013

im a self employed cis sub contractor who wil be starting work for a contrcator nxt month for 2 days per week which takes me under the tax threshold wil i stil need to have the 20% deductions taken off my earnings every week or will i get paid gross as im not over the ni and tax amount!

Shelley - Wednesday, April 3rd, 2013

Does my utr number stay the same if i claim jobaeekers allowance