Tax Articles

Tax Rebate Forms

Tax Rebate Calculator

Income Tax Calculator

Inland Revenue Tax Returns for Property Owners

Renting one or more properties is treated by the Inland Revenue as a business for tax purposes. If you rent more then one property you can offset losses from one against another. We answer some common questions about being and landlord and completing a tax return on your rental income:

What are residential lettings?
Any property you rent out for other people to live in is classified as a ‘residential letting’. There is a difference for tax purposes between ‘residential lettings’ and holiday lettings.

If you rent a room in your house this could also be classified as residential lettings, but you can take advantage of the Inland Revenue’s ‘Rent-a-room’ scheme, which allows you to recieve up to £4,250 tax free.

Do I need to complete a tax return if I rent a property?
If you make over £2,500 a year from your rental property, you will need to complete a tax return. If you total income for your property is over £15,000 in the tax year you must declare it on the land and property pages of your Self Assessment tax return.

How much tax will I pay on my rental property?
Any expenses that you incur when renting your property will be taken off the income you recieve from it. The remainder is profit and this will be added to your other income and taxed at your tax rate.

What expenses are allowable for renting a property?
If you have any residential lettings you can reduce your tax liability by offsetting any allowable expenses against your rental income. These expesnes could include:

  • letting agent’s, and lawyers/legal fees
  • building and contents insurance
  • mortgage/loan interest for your property
  • maintenance and repairs -improvement costs are not allowed
  • rent, ground rent and property service charges
  • Council Tax
  • advertising your property to rent
  • other costs, such as phone calls

How long do I need to keep my expense information for?
You need to keep any records relating to your rental property for 6 years, whether you completed a tax return or not.

Hayley - Tuesday, June 1st, 2010

Hi, my partner needs to do a tax return as he rents out his house, this is the first tax return as only renting house out since Aug 2009, the house is jointly owned with his ex wife, however he pays the mortgage and receives the all the rental money, she has no involvement the only reason it is still jointly owned is that it was decided to rented out due to the housing market being down, can he just do the tax return or does his ex need to do one as well?

TaxFix - Tuesday, June 1st, 2010

Hayley: As your partner is receiving the rental income for the property he can do the tax return. We would be more then happy to help your partner with his tax return and give him specific advice.

Richard - Thursday, June 3rd, 2010

Hi, I currently complete a tax return for a property I rent out which has the mortgage in my name only. My wife also has a rental property and is in the process of remortgaging – to qualify for the best rate we need to change the mortgage into joint names. My question is, as she receives the rent into her account, would I have to include a ‘portion’ of her rental income on my tax return or can she still do the whole return herself? Thanks.

Kate - Tuesday, June 15th, 2010

I have 6 domestic properties which i rent out. I am not a letting agent, i work from home and am a landlady. On my tax returns, is my business trade classed as a business or classed as rental income only. Thanks

TaxFix - Tuesday, June 15th, 2010

Kate: Renting a property is classified as a business.

Loz - Thursday, June 24th, 2010

I will be renting out my house shortly. The rental income does not cover the mortgage so I will not be making any profit. Do I still need to inform HMRC? Thanks.

TaxFix - Friday, June 25th, 2010

Loz: If you’re employed, and your taxable income from property is less than £2,500, your tax code can be adjusted to collect the tax on your property income each year. Ask your Tax Office to send you form P810 to report your income each year.

Anonymous - Tuesday, July 6th, 2010

Is there a certain amount of tax free income that we can receive on rented property?

bunty - Wednesday, July 7th, 2010

my son rented out property but lives with us he gets £200 in pocket per month but hes income ending april 10 was £6000 does he need to pay tax on £200 please reply thank you

TaxFix - Thursday, July 8th, 2010

bunty: Normally if you rent out property and receive an income from this you need to let the Inland Revenue know. Sometimes you do not need to do a tax return and your tax code can be adjusted instead. If you need help with your property we offer a service here:

lisa  - Friday, July 9th, 2010

My partner rents his property out and uses a letting agent to look after this, does the letting agent deal with the tax side of things?

TaxFix - Saturday, July 10th, 2010

lisa: If you are renting a property you need to let the Inland Revenue know that you are receiving this income. This is usually done through a tax return.

Anonymous - Tuesday, July 13th, 2010

I have a property I rent out, it has consistently lost money so I havent bothered notifying Inland REvenue, but I guess I should, it has been rented for 3 years.

What do I need to do, will I get into trouble?? I can draw up the accounts myself as they are simply, I was going to claim a deduction of £200 a year for mileage, 10% of annual rent due for wear and tear (about £600), the buildings insurance and cost of Gas Safety Certificate, and thats all.

Going to do it on a cash basis with when rent was received. Mortgage is on interest only, so will be a simple money in money out excercise.

Its exactly 3 years, would I draw up 3 sets of accounts, or 1 to cover whole period.

Nev - Thursday, July 15th, 2010

I am currently renting out a property for £850 per month, with mortgage plus landlords insurance costing me £817.25. Therefore I am “earning” net annual income of just under £400 before repairs, gas safety certificates, etc. I always thought it was the “net” income that the inland revenue was interested in – do I need to inform them of anything yet or am I earning below the requirement for declaration? This is the 3rd year I am renting out the property and, with letting agency fees included, I have probably made a maximum of £500-£600 over the 3 year period (if that!). I have a separate account set up where rent is paid into and the mortgage goes out of and have various documents detailing letting agency costs. Do I need to do anything?

TaxFix - Saturday, July 17th, 2010

Nev: Letting residential property is treated as running a business. If you’re employed, and your taxable income from property is less than £2,500, your tax code can be adjusted to collect the tax on your property. If you are not employed or your profit is greater than £2,500 you will need to let the Inland Revenue know about this profit via tax return.

Ian - Sunday, July 18th, 2010

I am filling in my tax return, what box on the tax return form should i put gas & electric safety certificate costs under?

Alan - Monday, July 19th, 2010

I have sold a property I rented. There is CGT liability at 18% but when added to my income tax liability, the total falls below my personal allowance. Is there any tax to pay?

TaxFix - Tuesday, July 20th, 2010

Alan: The CGT yearly allowance is currently £10,100

Alan - Tuesday, July 20th, 2010

After £10,100 CGT allowance still left with CGT to pay @18%. When this CGT is added to taxable income the total is still below personal allowance for 65+ of £9490.
Hence the question Is there any tax to pay?

TaxFix - Wednesday, July 21st, 2010

Alan: The income tax allowance and the CGT allowance are seperate and not combined.

Anonymous - Thursday, July 22nd, 2010

I am returning to live in a property I have rented for 13 years, I am having to refit a new kitchen, new bathroom, new flooring throughout the house, my question is – What will I be able to claim as expenses on my last tax return?

Laura Bradshaw - Wednesday, August 4th, 2010


I am letting my house out for £450 a month but the mortgage is £600 alone interest only without taking off all the extras you can to bring it down which means i am in mega minus figures!
I understand that they can change your tax code but will i have to pay tax when i am running at such a loss?


Joe - Wednesday, August 4th, 2010

My son is about to rent out his house. He anticipates that the total expenses (mortgage interest etc.,) he is allowed to claim will exceed his rental income thus making a loss each tax year. He is employed. Will his tax code be adjusted/increased by the tax office in the following tax year to take account of the loss in the previous year?

TaxFix - Wednesday, August 4th, 2010

Laura Bradshaw: You only pay tax on the profit from renting your property, so in your case where the expenses are greater than the income no tax will be due.

TaxFix - Wednesday, August 4th, 2010

Joe: If you are renting out property your tax code can sometimes be adjusted to take into account any profit you are making on your rental properties. If you are making a loss on your property, your tax code does not need to be changed.

Rick - Sunday, August 15th, 2010

I have rented out my house for £1,050 pcm & am now living in rented accom with my girlfriend, paying£950 pcm. Is only the difference (£65) liable for tax purposes?

Caroline  - Monday, August 16th, 2010

My son rents my property, his housemate has left and am only going to charge him half the rent. £160 per minth. Do I need to declare this? I am self employed in the main anyway so complete a tax return

TaxFix - Monday, August 16th, 2010

Rick: You can deduct any allowable expenses such as mortgage interest of the rented property, but not your own rent.

TaxFix - Monday, August 16th, 2010

Caroline: Yes, you need to declare, and pay any tax on the profit you make from your rental income.

GS - Wednesday, August 18th, 2010

My wife and have a joint mortgage on a flat we would like to let. My wife is currently not in work and we would be looking to establish the renting of the flat as a business in her name only. I assume the net profit would be taxed at her basic rate with an associated allowance of £6475. Is there any tax implications on me (40% tax bracket already) as the mortgage on the flat is in joint names. I would try and reflect this arrangement as a seperate venture for my wife as opposed to my PAYE income.

Anonymous - Friday, August 20th, 2010

If you don’t live in the uk and have property in the uk and rent them do you require to pay a tax?

Also , if you have property but family live in them and they are not paying rent then I dont think you will have to pay anything as no profit is being made.

RS - Thursday, August 26th, 2010

We are renting out our home for 10 days next july for the uk golf open for K8, I am a standard rate taxpayer. Is this taxable and where do we enter it on the self assesment.

TaxFix - Friday, August 27th, 2010

RS: Any profit from renting out your house is taxable. If you are earning a small amount of profit during the year from the rental, you may be able to change your tax code instead of completing a tax return. Contact your local tax office for advise on how to do this.

Arthur - Sunday, August 29th, 2010

My wife and I both hold discretionary Trusts
income to the trusts fron House rental,approx
£975 per month. We both have trust tax accounts
and make our yearly assesment returns ourselves. We are now being requested by our Letting Agent for £64 per year to cover what they say is required by inland revenue Taxes management Act section 19 which requires them also to inform of tax submission of landlords. I can understand this if we were Non Resident,but we are resident.
This extra amount plus a lot of extras puts a
terrible stain on any worth while profit which is for our grand children. Please inform if we
can request our agent to cancelled this charge
for we take responsibility of our returns.

craig - Sunday, August 29th, 2010

taxable income (profit)on my rented out house is less than £2500 per year so my tax code can be adjusted to collect tax throught my everyday employment but at what % is this tax going to be, also profit wont really be known till the end of the tax year because of expenses (mortgage, repairs,ins) so if i add those expenses to my self assesment (i do as self assesment as im in contruction) will tax taken before these expenses be refunded


PA - Monday, August 30th, 2010

My morgage is £500.00 a month and my tenant pays £ 500.00.
I pay the agency £50.00 a month so can I take it I do not owe the inland revenue anything but I still need to register is this correct?

TaxFix - Tuesday, August 31st, 2010

craig: The rate of tax will be at your marginal rate of tax. For example if you are a higher rate tax payer, you will pay the higher rate of tax which is currently 40%, if you are basic rate tax payer you will pay 20%. You will be able to deducted any allowable expenses against your income to determine your profit. The deadline for the 2009/2010 tax year is January 31st.

Darren Clarke - Wednesday, September 1st, 2010

I am renting a flat I bought 5 years to my In-Laws.
The rent they pay only just covers the Mortgage with about £5-10 to spare.
Do i need to inform the Tax office about this, as my tax code hasnt change for about 10 years.

Richard - Sunday, September 5th, 2010

I have rented out my house for 1100pcm, but am also currently living in rented accom, paying 900 pcm. Should I only declare the difference (200pcm) on my tax return?

Rick - Tuesday, September 14th, 2010

I have rented out my house for £1,050 pcm & am now living in rented accom with my girlfriend, paying£950 pcm.
Could I set up a company (sole trader) that can offset the income against the cost of the rent payable, so that I only end up paying tax on the difference (£65)?

richard - Tuesday, September 14th, 2010

I have a property which i have started to rent out only a few weeks ago how soon do i have to inform the inland revenue and when, i am on paye so have never had to fill out a tax return.

Roger - Tuesday, September 14th, 2010

I’m renting out my property for a couple of years via an agent. Will the Inland Revenue automatically be notified of this via the agent, or can I ‘get away’ without telling them ?? (prob not a good idea, but one that many will have thought about!!!)

Denise Broadbent - Friday, September 17th, 2010

I am thinking of buying a flat to let out as an investment rather than pay into a pension. Are there any tax benefits to be gained in getting a buy to let, interest only mortgage or would it be financially better to pay for the property out of my savings?

TaxFix - Monday, September 20th, 2010

Richard: You can not deduct the cost of rented accommodation.

TaxFix - Monday, September 20th, 2010

Roger: The agent may notify the Inland Revenue or deduct the tax. We strongly suggest that you do not try and avoid declaring any tax due.

sue - Monday, September 20th, 2010

Is tax liability with property owner or person being paid rent (landlord)?

Jemma - Tuesday, September 21st, 2010

I am renting out my house jointly with my husband. Firstly I know I can deduct our mortgage from the income but not sure where to fill this in on the SA online form.

Also as it is a joint income do I put half on my tax return and half on my husbands?

sharon - Friday, October 8th, 2010

if there is no profit made (or a loss) on a private rental do you still have to inform the tax

TaxFix - Friday, October 8th, 2010

sharon: You need to let the Inland Revenue know within 6 months of renting your property even if a profit is not made as the Inland Revenue may want to check if your expenses are allowable.

paul - Tuesday, October 26th, 2010

can i claim back on the building repairs made to the property before it was rented out.

TaxFix - Tuesday, October 26th, 2010

paul: You can not claim any capital expenses for a property.

tina - Saturday, October 30th, 2010

im looking at renting my business with shop above for 1500 a month, i pay 840 a month for mortgage and was going to pay my business loan off once id leased it,plz can u tell me how much tax i would have to pay?

tina - Saturday, October 30th, 2010

i just asked a question but forgot to add that i would have to rent another property to live and that would have to be paid by the remainder of the money left after ive paid the mortgage

TaxFix - Saturday, October 30th, 2010

tina: If you rent a property, you can claim any allowable expenses against the revenue you receive. You will then be taxed on the profit. Without know your profit it is hard to say how much tax you will be pay. We offer a tax return service, you can read more about it here if you are interested.

Stella - Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010

I have been renting my property for 5 years – a new tenant has now moved in and I want to declare to Inland Revenue. Can I do it from this tenants start date or will they ask questions and go backwards

Terri - Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010


Iam currently renting my house out and struggling to find out if i need to pay Tax ? I only be earning £1300 per year from the rent and sont know if this needs to be declared or not ?

thank you


TaxFix - Wednesday, November 24th, 2010

Terri: You need to let HMRC know that you are renting your property. You can deduct any allowable expenses from your rental income before coming to the profit, which will then be taxable.

Pete - Monday, November 29th, 2010

Hi, I have a flat which I am currently unable to sell, the mortgage is interest only at £1000 p/m and we can get £750 on it p/m to rent. We are looking to rent a house as my wife is pregnant and we need more space. The rent on the house will be around £900 – therefore, we make a £250 loss per month on the flat and have to pay another £150 p.m to get a house….is the rent we recieve on the flat taxable given a) we are making a loss and b) its an interest only mortgage? Obviously our situation isnt for financial gain, just means to live. Any advice would be great! Thanks,

TaxFix - Monday, November 29th, 2010

Pete: You can deduct any mortgage interest for the rental property before calculating the profit. Tax is then calculated on the profit. It sounds like in your case that there is no profit and no tax would be due.

jonathan - Wednesday, December 15th, 2010

offsetting Mortgage interest against income.

Say i have a £200k offset mortgage, that would result in monthly repayments of e.g. £500pcm at the moment. But because it’s a Offset Mortgage and i have savings of £150,000 with my mortgage provider my effective monthly repayments are £125pcm.

Can I put the £500 payments against my income as that is my effective mortgage loan repayments when excluding my savings, OR, can i only set the Actual repayments of £125?


Jo - Wednesday, December 29th, 2010

I have two properties, my main home has a further advance on it which I used to buy my second home where I mainly live as I work away. Both houses and the mortgage/advance are in my name. If the main home is rented out by my partner (husband) and he has the rent paid into his bank account who is liable for the tax? him or me?

Carole - Saturday, January 1st, 2011

I have a ‘One Account’ so it’s hard to separate the mortgage interest from other loans and spending. Any suggestions?

anonymous - Monday, January 10th, 2011

Hi,If one bought a property outright for £40.00 rented it out and claimed the rent as an income.Rather than getting a morgage for £40.00 reducing the income to pay the morgage. Could one take this into consideration when completing a tax return.

sarah spencer - Thursday, January 13th, 2011

My ex-partner and I are about to receive around £70,000 each from the sale of our family home. He bought himself another home 5 years ago and I have remained in the house until now as the children have now grown up and I need to move on. To cut a long story short he has not paid me a penny in maintenance for the last five years claiming he has not had any work. The humble tax payer has been paying his job seekers allowance and his £190000 mortgage is also paid for by the government so I want to make sure that firstly the Inland Revenue are aware that he is due to pay capital gains tax on that money and that also the benefit people know about it too. Are the inland revenue automatically notified when a property is sold or would they purely be relying on him being honest enough to declare it?

Mick - Thursday, January 13th, 2011

Hi, I am renting a room out in my home for £60 per week totalling £2880.00 a year, do i need to let the inland revenue know about this income and will i need to fill in a tax return?

Gabrielle - Thursday, January 13th, 2011

My husband and myself want to buy a property consisting of 3 flats and a small shop – fully let. Although we can put in at least 60% of the purchase price we will need a mortgage for the rest. We plan to get a repayment mortgage for this purpose. Will we be able to offset the whole mortgage payment, in addition to all other costs/expenses, against the tax element of this venture. Or is it only the interest element which is eligible?

Nik - Thursday, January 20th, 2011

I’m currently renting out a property with a repayment mortgage. Can I still deduct the interest portion of the mortgage?

TaxFix - Saturday, January 22nd, 2011

Nik: The interest of your mortgage can be used as an allowable expense. If you need help completing your property tax return, you can read more about our service here.

tracy - Saturday, January 22nd, 2011

hi i rent out my property but dont make any profit from this, the tenant only pays what the mortgage costs per month.Do i still need to inform inland revenue of this.thanks

Matt - Sunday, January 23rd, 2011

Hi there, I just wanted to confirm the following – I rent my flat out but make no profit from this as I pay a shortfall between the rent and mortgage, so I am assuming that I do not need to complete a tax return?

JR - Tuesday, January 25th, 2011

Hi I bought a house and have been renting it out for the past year. The best loan rate at the time was to borrow against the equity of my father’s property and to pay the mortgage payments to him. I took this option as i was not on a permanent contract in my work. I moved in with my partner and thus let out my property. The house is in my name and i am the registered landlord. Would i be able to claim this mortgage payment as expenses in my tax return?

TaxFix - Friday, January 28th, 2011

Matt: Is the mortgage interest only? Either way you still need to let HMRC know that you are renting your property. If you are making no profit, then no tax will need to be paid, and even when it does start to make a profit you can have your tax code initially adjusted.

TaxFix - Friday, January 28th, 2011

tracy: Yes you still need to inform them that you are renting our a property.

mark - Sunday, January 30th, 2011

my wife and i rent a bungalow out , the rent and mortgage comes out of my wifes account ,can she fill in self assesment solely or do we both have to fill in sa form individually

TaxFix - Tuesday, February 1st, 2011

mark: If you both own the property they you will probably both need to do one, unless you can have your tax code adjusted.

Ed - Tuesday, February 1st, 2011

Hi. I am looking at renting out two rooms in my house which I live in. So does this mean I can only claim a % of the allowable expenses such as electricity bills? If so how is this % worked out with three of us – is it just two thirds in this instance?

Unai - Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011

I move out of England and now I am living in Spain (I am unemployed), can you please let me know if I was to rent my property in England If I would I need to pay tax on it?
And been that I am register and unemployed in Spain and not able to get any benefits if I would pay the tax in England if I would be able to any benefits at all?
Many thanks

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 9th, 2011

Unai: You would be liable for any profits on your rental income in the UK.

anna - Saturday, February 12th, 2011

My husband and I jointly own a house which we are going to rent out. If we pay the rent into a joint account, who is liable for the income tax? If I have it paid into my account am I liable for all the income tax?
We are both basic rate tax payers.

Thanks for your help.

Mike - Tuesday, February 15th, 2011

My wife and I are about to buy a house to rent out. No mortgage. Can we still buy the house in joints names but only nominate my wife as the landlord as she pays lower rate tax? Would we then both be able to claim the £10.1k CGT allowance each on any profit on sale?


TaxFix - Wednesday, February 16th, 2011

anna: It depends on who owns the property.

Ron - Monday, February 21st, 2011

do i have to declare a property left to me by my father

shana - Monday, February 21st, 2011

i want to sign over a house to my son worth £130,000. my daughter lives there rent free and will continue to do so for as long as she wants. will i have to pay tax on it or will my son have to pay tax on it.

Martin - Thursday, February 24th, 2011

My wife and I jointly own a property which we let. My income (including rent) is well below the personal tax allowance, but my wife’s is above it. As I “manage” the property – doing everything a management agent would do – can I “charge” my wife a fee, and thus reduce her tax bill without incurring one myself?

Amith - Tuesday, March 1st, 2011

Hi, I am a high-rate tax payer and in the process of renting a property which is registered and mortgaged in my name. My wife is unemployed and hence doesnt pay tax. can i reduce the tax burden by showing the rental income to be my wife’s income? If so, how?

Justine Cook - Friday, March 4th, 2011

I live in Canada and am renting my property out in the uk through an agent. They are taking tax off the rental funds. I do not have any other income in the UK or Canada. Am I eligible to a) not have this tax taken off at source or b) claim it back?


Mrs Moose - Saturday, March 12th, 2011

My husband and I rent out our old house on which we have a joint mortgage. He is a PAYE tax-payer and does not need to do self-assesment forms. Am I breaking the law if I am the only one declaring the full amount of rental income/expenses on my tax return? We were told by an advisor at the tax office that we could do that, so we wouldn’t both need to do tax returns but, going by what I have read recently, I am having doubts about that advice.

Peter - Monday, March 14th, 2011

My wife & I have just had an offer accepted on a property that we are buying to rent out. I have remortgaged the house we live in which is in my sole name to raise the money to purchase the house, but we were going to put the rented house in my wifes name only (she works part time, I am in the higher tax band). Can my wife still deduct the interest payments when she fills in a tax return?

Kaz - Wednesday, March 23rd, 2011

Hi I purchased a property in Oct 2010, which I let out. After taking off my costs I have not made a profit. Do I need to fill in a tax return for 2010. I am planning on filling one in for the year 2011

David Griffiths - Saturday, March 26th, 2011

What are the problems if we give £200k to our son in the USA to buy a house

Sharon - Sunday, March 27th, 2011

Can I claim against? I’m adding a small peice of land to my rented property,which would only be used as the garden,can I claim my lawyers legal fees against my tax?

terry c - Tuesday, April 5th, 2011

i have rented out a property for seven years and it is only this year i am startin to make a profit..i made on average 100 pounds a month over the seven years..that is why i have never filled in a tax return..what should i do

william - Friday, April 8th, 2011

Iam not working and can not claim any benifits as I earn 3500 pounds a year from letting a house I own.My question is this,can I class my managing my rented property as a full time job and clame working tax credit.

steve  - Saturday, April 9th, 2011

hi. I have not declared rental income on 2 buy to let properties for 8 years profit of around £500 p/m no books etc do you have any advice please

sheffield - Friday, April 15th, 2011

i let my bungalow out yousing an agent.they said
from may i will have to pay vat at 20per cent
is that right

Don - Wednesday, April 20th, 2011

I own two properties one of which is rented out, there is no outstanding mortgage on the rented property. But I have a mortgage on my other property which I live in, can I claim the mortgage interest for this property against my rented property?

jen - Wednesday, May 25th, 2011

My only income is from property.I fill out land and property pages. I have a property agent who collects the money ect. I do some minor work on the property such as decorating. the income is small. between 10,000 and 15000 a year. for tax credit purpposes what am I classed as? the choice is employed or self employed?

Sim - Monday, June 6th, 2011

Hi I have a mortgage with my ex partner and he wants to rent the property out. He has sent me forms to fill in to become a landlord, is this required? Do i have to become a registered landlord if i dont recieve any rental payments?
Would i need to fill in a tax return if i dont recieve any rental payments?

G Campbell - Tuesday, June 28th, 2011

I own a property overseas, I lived in it for 3 years before returning to the uk, where I now reside and live in a rented house. My overseas property has been rented out for 2 years, If I sell my overeas property to buy a home in the uk will the proceeds be taxed. I rented the property out overseas but it did not cover the mortgage.

louise andrews - Tuesday, June 28th, 2011

Hi there, I have a mortgage in my name. My partner has now moved in and contributes towards the household running. Is this classed as her ‘renting’ from me or how does it work?? She is down on the council tax but not listed on the C/tax bills as they said we dont have a rental agreement?? HELP



jenny - Friday, July 8th, 2011

if i use my savings to purchase a property to let can i claim my los of interest instead of mortgage interest?

Julie - Tuesday, July 19th, 2011

I rent out both a house and a pub can I be classed as self-employed and pay myself for costs incurred such as travelling, working on properties etc.

Pauline Lowry - Wednesday, July 20th, 2011

My daughter is moving due to the requirements of her job and will be renting out her house for 2 years. I understand that she can claim tax relief on expenses involved with this and this will include her mortgage interest. Although she will have rental income she will also have a mortgage to pay and rental to pay as she needs somewhere to live can the cost of this be offset? If not this is a very unfair system as she will be paying out more (her rental income is less than her mortgage payments and less than she is having to pay out where she is moving to)and then potentially having to pay tax on part of it.

Lesley  - Thursday, July 21st, 2011

I am about to sell a small property which I have been renting out for most of the 14 years I have owned it. Can you tell me where to find out about Capital Gains Tax liability??

Vish - Wednesday, July 27th, 2011

I am going to rent my only house and moving to a rented house for work purpose. I have heard from my friends that i don’t have to pay tax for the first year, is it True

Kelly - Wednesday, July 27th, 2011


I am renting out my flat but the rent I receive doesnt cover the mortagaage and I am making a loss. I understand I still have to declare this, however please could you tell me how I go about doing this i.e what forms i need to fill in and what dates these need to be in by?

Kind Regards

carol - Wednesday, July 27th, 2011

do i pay incme tax if i rent my property out if i am living overseas posibly for a year

Alan - Friday, July 29th, 2011

Due to the change of my job, I have moved to another city and lived in a rented house for one year. At the meantime, my house has been rented for the year. Although I have £650 rental income per month I have to pay £900 rental per month to live in a rented house. I didn’t want my house be let at all but it was impossible to sell the house due to the weak house market. Don’t you think it unfair to pay tax on it?

Jon - Tuesday, August 9th, 2011

My landlord is wanting to sell the property I live in because she says she will need to pay tax. She currently has a interest only mortgage and the rental only just pays the mortgage and after paying out other expenses makes no profit what so ever. Would my landlord be subject to paying tax if making no profit????

jessica - Thursday, August 11th, 2011

hi i bought a house in 2008 the mortgage is under my moms name but she does not make any payments, i made the deposit and keeping up with payments. Do is still claim it on my tax return.

lucy - Thursday, August 11th, 2011

I have rented my house out for the golf Open for 9 days for about 10k after agents fees, what is the position with paying tax. I do not currently work

Tony - Thursday, August 11th, 2011

My wife and I own a property outright which we have lived in for eight years, along with our children. We also have two buy-to-let properties which are heavily mortgaged. For various reasons we need to move from our main home but are struggling to sell the house which has been on the market for several months now. One of our two rented properties, while not ideal, is relatively close to where we want to be, BUT we have assumed that in moving to it we will no longer be able to offset the mortgage interest being paid on this house, while ‘exposing’ ourselves to full liability on the rental income generated from our mortgage-free home having moved out of it. We’re hoping that we may have got this wrong… Please advise!?

Christine Harker - Sunday, August 14th, 2011

Would I have to pay tax on savings earned in Bermuda on return to UK.
Could I use my Bermudan salary to pay off my mortgage in the UK during the three years I live and work in Bermuda and how would i do this.

Annie - Thursday, August 18th, 2011

Hi, I am thinking of letting a room in my house for £200 a month. I am receiving child tax credit. Do i have to let Inland Revenue know about this and will this affect my child tax credit?
Many thanks,

keeley - Monday, August 22nd, 2011


I have just purchased a buy to let mortgage and am in the process of doing the property up.
If i decide once house is done up to live in it can i do this under the current mortgage?

Tax Fix - Monday, August 22nd, 2011


Yes, you will need to let HMRC know about this income and with regard to your tax credits. The property earnings may affect your tax credits.

You may decide to use the ‘rent a room’ scheme. This allows you to earn up to earn up to £4,250 tax free for renting a furnished room in your house to a lodger.

If you have a mortgage it is best to check whether taking in a lodger is within your mortgage lender’s and insurer’s terms and conditions.

Tax Fix - Monday, August 22nd, 2011


Yes, you can live in a property if it has a ‘buy to let’ mortgage on it. You should, however, speak to your mortgage lender to let them know that this is your intention as the terms of your home loan may need to be altered.

Michael - Tuesday, August 23rd, 2011

Hi, I am looking at purchasing a property for rental purposes and would like to know if the rent received can be used to pay off the mortgage without any interest charges on this sum?

Thanks for your time,


mr smith - Wednesday, August 24th, 2011

hi there i want to rent my proeprty to my sister and her children for a few months, she is claiming housing benefits and will be receiving a lower amount then the mortage currently on it. do i still need to report this to the tax man? thanks

JOHN - Wednesday, August 24th, 2011

my landlady has refused to supply me with a rent book and i suspect taking rent without declaring to the tax – where do i go – what do i do

Tax Fix - Thursday, August 25th, 2011

@mr smith

Yes, you need to declare all income received from property. However, you may well be making a loss on the property if the rent you are receiving is less than the mortgage you are paying (remember that you can only claim the interest element of your mortgage, not any capital element).

Tax Fix - Thursday, August 25th, 2011


When you rent a property the interest payments on your loan are classes as a deduction whilst the rent is treated as ‘income’.

Our article Landlord? How To Complete Your Inland Revenue Tax Return will help you.

Kate G - Thursday, August 25th, 2011

I purchased a flat for 95k and then sold it a few years later for £117 – I spent £4k on a new kitchen and bathroom before I sold it can I put this expense against my profit?

Max - Saturday, August 27th, 2011

Hi, I understand that I don’t need to pay tax on my property I’m renting out (I’m making a loss, as the rent I receive doesn’t cover my mortgage payments), but do I need to declare anything, or am I ok just to carry on without letting Inland Revenue know? Thanks

Lisa - Saturday, August 27th, 2011

We rent out our house but rental income does not cover interest only mortgage or landlords buildings insurance and we lose £145 per month. My husband works and pays PAYE but still has to complete a tax return as used to be self employed. If we declare this as a loss, alongside the £450 agents finders fee does that mean he will get a tax rebate equating to what we have lost?

sheila - Thursday, September 1st, 2011

I am thinking about buying a retirement property but will not require it for a couple of years so I would hope to rent it until then
when I sell the home I have lived in for 24 years I be liable to any tax on this property?

Monica - Friday, September 2nd, 2011

I’m from Belgium and i would like to buy an apartment in the UK to rent it on short term basis. What taxes would i have to pay? How much are the Capital gains if i resell in 10 years?
Best regards,

Donald - Saturday, September 3rd, 2011

I own two properties one of which is rented out, there is no outstanding mortgage on the rented property. But I have a mortgage on my other property which I live in, can I claim the mortgage interest for this property against my rented property?

Neel - Friday, September 9th, 2011

I am investing in a property, lower than the govt. value, after i sale the same property am i liable to pay tax and at what %, even let me know about Capital Gain.

Tammy - Thursday, September 15th, 2011


Both my husband and I are in full time employment and in the 40% tax band. We are planning to rent out our current home and buy another one. On the property that we plan to rent out, we pay £610 per month for the mortgage and the rental income is £850 per month. Do we pay tax on the difference (£850-£610=£240) or do we have to pay tax on the whole £850? And will the 40% tax applies?


Luisa - Friday, September 23rd, 2011

I am managing my rental business, can I draw a salary and deduct the salary from the profit that I make?

Jo - Saturday, September 24th, 2011

Hi. I rent a house out that I have no mortgage on and that I complete a tax return on. I have another house that I provide for my 3 adult children – 19/21/23, this house has a large mortgage on but I only recieve a nominal contribution of 100 a month on from my eldest child. I live in another house with my husband. Is there any tax break on the 2nd house that I provide for my children?

val - Sunday, September 25th, 2011

My husband has been made redundant, is 62 and unable to find a job, he receives no financial help as I work part time, I’m 60 and due to retire Xmas 2012. I would like to know the implications involved if we should rent our(paid for) house out and use the rent to live in Australia for a year after I retire.

Tom George - Wednesday, September 28th, 2011

I bought a flat to let in March 2009. Initially the flat was unoccupied and I started letting it from May 2010. Can the mortgage interest paid in the first year after I bought the flat be included in the allowable expense when I file my tax return this year? Thanks

PW - Thursday, September 29th, 2011

Hi is there any tax implications for me or my daughter if I pay off my daughters mortgage for her?

Please help - Wednesday, October 5th, 2011

I separted from my husband and he stayed in the property we own between us. May 2011 he started to rent out two rooms to private tenants, my husband still lives there too. We wont be starting divorce untill feb 2012. Thing i need help with is i dont agree with him renting rooms out as he is making £600/£800 extra per month and although i no longer pay towards mortgage i beleive i should still have a say in what happens in house as i dont agree to him letting rooms especially as im having to pay loads to rent myself as he wouldnt leave the family home. Is there anything i can do as i also know he hasnt declared what he is earing from the rentals. Thanks i do hope someone can help as i dont know what to do.

Sangita - Thursday, October 6th, 2011

I currently live in the USA and have a property in the UK which is let out via the council; they pay the housing benefit directly into my account for my tenant.

My dad manages the property for me and acts as a Landlord Agent for me. Up until recently the Benefit was being paid into my account, however as I live out the country the council want any benefit to be paid into an account in my dads name.

If he receives the benefit on my behalf , will he have to pay tax on it or if he transfers the money into my account each month as I am the landlord, will I still be reporting taxes on this property? FYI, since having the property I have been paying taxes on this on a yearly basis.
Thanks for your time.

Richard Spice - Friday, October 7th, 2011

Just wondering, My landlady has her own house and rents out 2 rooms, which me and the other tenant pay the rent each month and deposit and via cash, not a standing order. Does this mean that she is probably not paying tax? If so, does this need to be reported or is it legal? Thanks

Mr Mayo - Friday, October 7th, 2011

I have a flat in London and I am going away for 6 months, I am renting the flat for one year . What do I need to do in terms of tax?

Thank you
Mr Mayo

kevin - Tuesday, October 11th, 2011

tax credit joint claim,husband did not declare second property that he has rental income, am i liable if i didnt know he did not delare property

Jane Anderson - Thursday, October 13th, 2011

As I am now a non uk resident i am renting my property in London through an agent. Should i be paying VAT on top of the agents commission fees?

Mike - Thursday, October 13th, 2011

I am an uk resident and live in my main residence in the uk. I have a property in spain which i rent ou BUT all the rental income goes to my father who lives and is resident in spain. As i dont receive the rental income do i have declare the property to hmrc, or is this my father’s responsibility? Also would things change if i stop renting the property?

marc - Saturday, October 15th, 2011

I have joint ownership of a house with an ex-partner and it is the only property I own or have a mortgage on. I moved out 8yrs ago but have continued to provide financal support to enable my children and ex to remain in the house.I have since married and lived in several places but never owned any other property.The house is now due to be sold.What is my tax poisition regarding capital gains on my share of the equity, about

raj - Tuesday, October 18th, 2011

I am thinking of buying a property to let out,but i will be remorgaging the house i live in,so will i be able to off set the mortgage payments on my house from the rent paid from the let property when i do any tax returns because the house rented will not have any mortgage on it

Craig - Wednesday, October 19th, 2011

I currenrly rent out a property on a interest only mortgage and dont make any profit after my mortgage payment and buildings insurance would i still have to complete a tax return/advise the inland revenue?

Caroline - Friday, October 21st, 2011

Hello We rent a house to my Husbands sister and have been told as it is a family member we do not need to register with the local authority, however, the council pays her rent which we recieve into our bank account to pay the mortgage. What do we need to do in terms of declaring this with Inland revenue?
The difference between what we are paid and what mortgage we pay is not a huge amount.

J robinson - Friday, October 21st, 2011

I own two properties and want to rent out the cheaper house to pay for the bigger mortgage on the second property, will i still get taxed if the rent is going towards another mortgage not linked to the rental property?

serene - Friday, October 28th, 2011

i am a landlady. i am managing all the work involved from invoices, to any problem tenant face to chase up arrears, contacting professional bodies, inventory, etc. and i do this from home. can i claim working tax credit for working as landlady from home.please advise

serene - Friday, October 28th, 2011

i am a landlady. i am managing all the work involved from invoices, to any problem tenant face to chase up arrears, contacting professional bodies, inventory, etc. and i do this from home. can i claim working tax credit for working as landlady from home.please advise

Kerry - Friday, October 28th, 2011

If my mortage is £1136 and my rental price is £850. I will not be making any money on the house do i still need to declare it ??

Chris - Sunday, October 30th, 2011

if I intend to rent out my property within the next few months – can I undertake maintenance to the property such as painting etc and claim as allowable expenses if a tenant moves in within the same tax year

m menton - Monday, October 31st, 2011

I am about to be gifted a house, there will be tenants in the house paying £850pcm i would own no other property other than the gifted property, i will still live in my current rented property and receive the rent from the gifted property, would i have to pay capital gains tax in the future even though i live in a rented house but get rental income from my gifted house?

dinesh - Tuesday, November 1st, 2011

I am renting my property without making any profit since 3 years and haven,t told inland revenue. Now I am selling it. It was my property main residence for 4 years before renting it I have to pay cgt on it/

john - Thursday, November 3rd, 2011

i used to live in a flat, i moved in with my girlfriend and now rent my flat out, my rent is 410 pcm my mortgage is 305 pcm i take it this means that i have 105 profit?? a month, i also work full time, im guessing i need to get the tax man to adjust my PAYE and not fill in a tax assesment form?? i also pay the council tax for the flat ang get my tennent to pay me the money back, is this the wrong thing to do??

Lol - Friday, November 4th, 2011

Hi. I am not working and living back with my parents. I am renting out my house for £600 per month. As this is my only income, will it be subject to tax (and should I register as ‘self employed’)? Thank you.

Dan - Sunday, November 6th, 2011

My partner is thinking of renting her flat out, will she have to pay tax if her income is less than her expenses and her mortgage repayments. Half the mortgage is interest only

angela - Sunday, November 6th, 2011

i’m thinking of letting out my flat until i manage to sell it.
i have no mortgage on it but i have on the property i just bought and to which i’d be moving (i need to consider whether it may be better to rent this second property.
thought it’d do no harm asking whether i’d be able to claim a reduction on taxes re my rent income against this mortgage?
thanks very much in anticipation

Tracey Kerr - Monday, November 7th, 2011

Is renting out my property classed as starting a business

Sandra - Wednesday, November 9th, 2011

I am no longer receiving rental income for my house as I have sold it and will complete in 2 weeks. Do I need to fill in expenses on my tax return up until the date of exchange.

Kevin - Monday, November 14th, 2011

I have a few rental properties but am currently living in rented accomodation. Can I claim this rent against tax for my property business?

Mandy - Wednesday, November 16th, 2011

I have just completed my 2010-2011 tax return, I am at a loss of 2k and i completed all the expenditures on the tax return showing this, i live in abroad now and I am unemployed at present so earned nothing for this tax year. My tax returned showed that i was entitled to nothing at all even though my outgoings were more than my incoming, why is this?

D.Wilson - Friday, November 18th, 2011

I am the owner of my property and is renting 1/2 of the property and reside in the other half.
Am I entitle to pay tax on the full house or just the 1/2 of the house I am renting?

matt p - Monday, November 21st, 2011

i rent my house out and pay tax on the profit, i have been doing this for just over 3 years, in around 3-5 years i want to sell will i have to pay tax on any money i make on the sale?

Chris Milnes - Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011

I own (mortgaged) and rent two properties and also work full time and pay tax via PAYE.

I have completed self assessment online for the since 2008-2009 and declared the properties etc.

My question is I have made a loss in all tax years since renting out ie 08-09, so not paid any income tax, however given the total losses for 08-09 was £2283, , 09-10 was £1918 , and 10-11 was £2399 totaling a loss of £6600. Should i have received a tax rebate for this loss, as via self assessment I have not.

Sophie - Tuesday, November 29th, 2011

Hello, my husband and I are in the process of buying a flat to rent out. I am a housewife and do not work, whilst my husband is quite a high tax payer. In order for me to be the one to get taxed on the income for the rent how would we need to set up the purchase? Would it be in joint names or just my own? or is it purely down to where the rent is paid into?

debi - Friday, December 2nd, 2011

Hi, if my mum rents out her home so it takes her to £10 -£20K including my pension what tax am I likely to pay? She is almost 90 years of age so need to know if tax implications. What costs/expenses like the letting agency fees as it will be on full management let and insurance etc. I will be letting it out for approx £560 per month . thank you

Mo - Monday, December 5th, 2011

Hi i have bought 3 residential properties which i am renting out total rent i get is £18,000 and recently purchased a commercial building (bed shop) which is giving me rent at £25,000 per annum.

if i set up a business is it better to go sole trader or set up a small limited company as i am going to buy more properties in the future and want the best way to handle my taxes.


Mrs Jones - Wednesday, December 7th, 2011

My late husband (died 4 years ago) left a house that is now in Probate to my 21 year old son. My son has just recently found work and his income is less than £15,000. He has been renting the property out to pay the mortgage and other bills on the house i.e. maintenance and repairs, utiliy checks, gas checks, estate agents fees and building insurance. Once these are paid there is only but a few pounds left over,and we have just recently heard through the estate agent that the HMRC want us to declare the rent paid and see if we owe any tax. Could you help on this matter please?

Claire - Friday, December 9th, 2011

Hi I bought a bigger property & rented out my old flat 2years ago. I pay my taxes on the rented property. If I sell the flat how much tax do I pay from the profit bearing in mind I’ve only rented it out for 2years. I’ve had the flat for 10yrs. Thanks

Pete - Monday, December 12th, 2011

Hi there

If my expenses eg interest on loans, insurance, bills etc are greater than my income from renting a room out do I need to bother filling out a tax return / informing Inland Revenue?



Matt - Friday, December 16th, 2011

I have a client whose name is on the purchase documents but the money gets paid into a joint bank account with his wife, the revenue say that rental income can not be split 50/50 as the property is in his name ownly? Is this correct

ukman - Monday, December 19th, 2011

Ive had a house Ive let out through an agent for years, get about £1000 per month.
Never even thought about paying tax on it.
It seems like the Tax office dont even do rudementary checks because if you dont tell them they dont find out?

Anna - Wednesday, December 21st, 2011

Taking £1295 pcm rent on my mortgaged property since November 2011, this is my only income. When do I start paying tax and what costs can be accounted for?

Bobby  - Wednesday, December 21st, 2011

Hi there.
Do you commit an offence by renting out your property and not having a buy to let mortgage on it? Many thanks

George - Friday, December 23rd, 2011

I am renting out my flat, on which i have a mortgage. I charge 800 pounds a month, and my mortgage repayments are 700 pounds a month, so I consider myself to be making 100 pounds a month profit.
The tax return form says I need to report the interest paid on my mortgage. About half of each mortgage repayment is interest, and the other half capital. If I report only the interest then my profits – and hence my tax – are a lot higher, even though I am only making 100 pounds a month. What should I do?

Tara - Friday, December 23rd, 2011

I am wanting advice on Capital Gains Tax.

I have rented out a property since Jan 2007. Prior to that date I lived in the property from 1997 – 2007.

I rent elsewhere with my partner (Social Housing) so my rented property is the only home I own but obviously not my main residence.

I am now trying to work out what tax liabilities will be should I sell either now or in the future. I had considered keeping the property rented for a further 10 years or so as an investment but now I am wondering if I would be financially better off selling the property soon and investing the money elsewhere.

The property was purchased for £50k & is now worth £150k with a £30k mortgage.

Many thanks in advance.

Bob - Friday, December 23rd, 2011

Bought my fathers house 19 years ago. Sold it this year for $100,000. Do I have to pay income taxes on this sale?

DGrech - Thursday, December 29th, 2011

My husband and I are planning to move abroad and rent our flat in London. Since we will not be living here in the UK, will we need to do pay tax on any income? We have a repayment and interest mortage on the property.

Susie - Friday, December 30th, 2011

I own a property and my partner is leaving his job in order to rent the property as a holiday let. This will be his only source of income. If the ownership is completely in my name can he claim he the income as his for tax purposes or would it have to come under my tax allowance?
Also, if you don’t manage to let it for teh minimum 70 days for it to be a holiday let (but it is available for more than 140) is it still taxable as a holiday let?

Chowdhury Mahiuddin - Sunday, January 1st, 2012

If someone rent a house and declare it, is it possible for inland revenue to find out and if they find out what will happen?

meena - Wednesday, January 4th, 2012

I make 600 per month profit on my rentel properties i have aquired. How does this effect my tax credits is it added to my income ????

John  - Wednesday, January 4th, 2012

I have rented out my property on a short term basis over the last eight years and have incurred bank charges in the last three years due to paying mortgage and rent. I know it is not sound financial planning, but can I claim these against my taxable profits. I know you can claim bank charges, but they were incurred from a personal account so can I still claim.

mitch - Thursday, January 5th, 2012

i rent out 1 house, my rent doesn’t cover my mortgage so im making a loss, do i need to fill in a tax return

Richard - Thursday, January 5th, 2012

Two of our adult sons moved back in with us last year and pay us £400 per month each as contribution to house running costs and food etc which my wife provides them, as well as doing all their washing and ironing etc as Mums do. Do we need to declare this to the inland revenue as when everything is taken into account we make no profit?

kaz - Thursday, January 5th, 2012

hi i am wondering if i can claim working tax credit if i rent out a room where the income from this would be my only income And would base my claim for wtc on this sole income
anybody know ??????

DEBS - Monday, January 9th, 2012

HI myself my brother and sister inheritated our dads house when he passed away we have no joy in selling the propery so we are going to rent i only work 5 hours a week so dont pay tax and we recive family tax and working tax we are setting up a bank account in our 3 names for the rent to be paid into how soon do i have to let the tax people no about this the tenent moves in on tuesday thanks

James Andrews - Monday, January 9th, 2012

I have received 100,000 pounds for the lease of a property for 90 years. Would this be treated as ordinary rental income or capital gains

Robbie - Wednesday, January 11th, 2012

I live in Northern Ireland, but let a property in england. I charge 500 a month, and do all the business, not through an agent. All house costs council tax insurances etc are paid by my tenant, how do I stand legally. should i declare my income, i have a mortgage for a similar monthly amount. Thanks

Angie - Friday, January 13th, 2012

Do I have to declare modest rental income on house in Belgium? (Benelux). I am now resident in UK as a pensioner on very small income.
I have heard that Belgium is exempt from tax on rentals etc.
Thank you.

Laurie - Saturday, January 14th, 2012

i am going to rent my house but i want for my mother in law to collect the income, is this possible?

Gwyn - Monday, January 16th, 2012

If I have a rental property and I make 300 profit per month do I need to pay tax on this 300 if I re invest it into another property ie – the plan is to use the properties as a pension in the future therefore anything I make Ie the 300 will be reinvested – as it stands you don’t pay tax on your pension contribution in a personal pension therefore I’m doing the same just in property instead so do I have to still pay tax???

Katenutt - Tuesday, January 17th, 2012

We are moving out of our property at the end of January and it will be available for rent from Feb. we have found tenants who have signed the tenancy starting 22nd March. They have however requested that the property is redecorated prior to the star of thir tenancy.

Can I claim reductions against the gas safety chech, redecorations and interest on mortgage paid from 1st Feb when the property was available for rent?

Many thanks


Fern - Thursday, January 19th, 2012


My parents and I own a house together, (parents live abroad and I live in the house with my brother) I pay the mortgage and all bills are in my name.
I’m moving out with my partner so my brother is staying in the family home with one of his friends renting it – do I need to declare my brothers rent amount on a tax return as its a family home or do I just declare the tennant (his friend)?

Many thanks

Erin - Thursday, January 19th, 2012

I am thinking about letting a room. I get work and child tax credits will this effect my income.

tim - Thursday, January 19th, 2012

if i am renting my second (holiday) home out to my sister do i have to pay tax on this?

Davidoff - Friday, January 20th, 2012

Hi, I rented my house out for 12 months while I went traveling. I made no profit on the rental – the rental income was the same as the mortgage payments, I just wanted to cover the mortgage. I’m now self-employed so do a tax return every year. do I need to declare the rental of this property, seeing as I made no profit whatsoever in the renting of it? Thank you!

Nelson - Sunday, January 22nd, 2012

Im in the middle of completing my 2010-2011 tax return.
I am self-employed part time, and have probably earnt around £5 000, but I received through inheritance, £15 000 and put this monet straight into one of the goverments high earning interest National savings plans. Can I offset this £15 000 against my £5 000 earnings for that year?

Sharon - Monday, January 23rd, 2012

I run a small company as self employed and my son does odd jobs for me. How do I set him up as an employeee? And if I pay him say £100 per week what do I have to do about Tax and NIC payments.

bob - Monday, January 23rd, 2012

I am going to be renting out a house to my cousin soon with no contract as i work away in the air force and want someone to look after my property, do i need to declare that i am renting it out as i am paying the council tax for just myself and there will now be two of them now living there also they will be paying me rent do i need to declare this to?

Jean - Tuesday, January 24th, 2012

Can anyone advise me about non declaration to Inland Revenue, not purposely, about a small business sale three years ago. We are still paying tax as if we still owned the shop and flat above. It sold for £80,000 and most of it we spent paying debts

bill - Tuesday, January 24th, 2012

hi i am resident in spain but not tax resident live below tax thresold looking to sell up and go back to uk would there be any benefit in becoming tax resident before we sell we have lived in spain for 5 years are on the padron and have a income of 5000 euros a year thankyou

emma - Thursday, January 26th, 2012

What are the tax implications if I am renting out a house that I have a mortgage on but am renting a property to live in

Kevin BD - Thursday, January 26th, 2012

I’ve been declaring rental income in my tax return for several years on a house that my wife and I own. As my wife didn’t have to complete a tax return I’ve just declared it all on mine. This year is first in profit- for next year’s return can my wife who is a lower rate tax payer declare all the rental income instead of me?- Thanks

Alison  - Friday, January 27th, 2012

I am about to buy a property with my partner which we intend to rent out. If the property is in joint names, but all the rental income is in my name, does my partner still have to declare half the income, or can it all go on my tax return?

MichaelxHermes - Sunday, January 29th, 2012

Is there any tax benefit from having the people who rent my first house pay the £400 rent to my partner?

She is on a part time 10k salary.

We live together in our new house. She rents her old house , I rent my old house.

If this is not allowed do you have any suggestions how we can save tax?

Thanks for your time and advice


J Stewart - Sunday, January 29th, 2012

I have a flat my son a student live in it we pay the mortgage but he pays NO rent. When he leaves university we will sell the flat would we pay tax we have made nothing on the property as it all expenses only profit will be when the house is sold if we get more for it then we paid

Matt. - Monday, January 30th, 2012

Hi, I am renting a property out via a letting agent. The income from the property does not cover the interest only payments i am making on the mortgage. Can i get a rebate to cover this shortfall?

G Viccars - Tuesday, January 31st, 2012

Can i claim for part of my mortgage payment if i am self employed and work from home?

dusty - Wednesday, February 1st, 2012

Hello just a quick bit of advice – I bought buy to let property in october 2011 – do i need to complete tax return now for 3 month period or will it be next year before my first one is due?

steven - Wednesday, February 1st, 2012

can i claim back charges from The Money Shop on my tax return for cashing wages cheques?

many thanks

anne collins - Wednesday, February 1st, 2012

My partner and I each rent out a property. My property is making a loss, his property is making a profit which he has paid tax against.

Is there a way we can offset one against the other to reduce tax? Could we each delare income/ show expenses for 50% of both properties?

PDibella - Thursday, February 2nd, 2012

d are you liable for council tax if you do not own or live in the property,and if you are named on a will to be half owner but property not in your name but in the the other joint owners name am I liable for council tax

Steffi - Monday, February 6th, 2012


My daughter is disabled. If I bought a property for her to live in would I be able to charge her rent? (I cannot afford to do so otherwise). Thanks

Nicky - Monday, February 6th, 2012

my landlord is pocketing the rent we pay a month & not declaring & pretending they still live at the property

Josh - Thursday, February 9th, 2012

I own a house for which i have a mortgage, there is only myself on the mortgage. I have recently married and had my wife move in and had a baby, we are sorting out renting the house out and we are moving into a larger (rented) property nearer my work.
With my wages and the rental income i will end up being on a higher tax level, my wife however currently doesn’t have any income and we were wanting to make use of her personal tax free allowance.
Do we need to sign the house over to her so that the rental income will be seen as hers or is there another way round it?

craig - Sunday, February 12th, 2012

hi, i bought my property in august 2011 and let it out in november 2011, i want to know if i have to submit a tax return for 2012 or 2013?

Mrs S Griffin - Monday, February 13th, 2012

Hi can you help me, my husband and I are renting out our house for the first time, the letting agent has said we will need to let the mortgage company know. I have contacted them and they have said there will be a £295 admin charge, can we claim this back via the tax return

Best wish Sarah Griffin.

Russ - Tuesday, February 14th, 2012

My wife and 3 children own 9 properties between them.I manage the properties.I find tenants organise repairs and visit the properties every few weeks as well and sort out any problems or difficulties the tenants may have.I want to charge approx £60 per month pe property for my services and bill them so it can be offset against we are married / related can i do this

Joseph Adams.... truckermanjoe@hotmail.c - Wednesday, February 15th, 2012

I am renting my house out, I am looking at selling it.. If I move back in how long is it before I can sell it?

Chris - Saturday, February 18th, 2012

Hi, I currently own my family home with my dad and brother, my dad owns 50% of the house and me and my brother own 25% each that was left by our mother when she passed away. We have all lived here all our lifes but now my dad has decided that he wants to sell, me and my brother have agreed to buy him out with a BTL mortgage as we have decided to move in with our girlfriends and rent the place out. my question is regarding CGT, we are planning to sellthe house 10 years from now, will we still be entitled to PRR for the years we were living there? or the fact that we are buying dad out will cancel this out? how may years of CGT will we have to pay? and will we be entitled to any other reliefs and exemptions? thank you

lisa - Sunday, February 19th, 2012

Hi I have a mortgage of €900 i am hoping to rent out my house for €600 i will be moving to a rented property which will cost me €1200 (closer to work less travel to rent so in total i will be paying €1500 monthly can i claim additional tax releif on this

George Spencer - Monday, February 20th, 2012

I curently rent one room under the ‘rent a room scheme’ (method where no tax return required – 350pcm). I need to get more money and now want a second lodger. The interest on my mortgage is £800 a month. Can I rent rooms to 2 lodgers for a total of £700 pcm without paying tax or being subject to CGT? I understand I will have to do a tax return but want to be clear what I can offset and don’t want to be subject to Capital Gains Tax as this is my home – not an investment.

Paul Kirk - Monday, February 20th, 2012

I currently own a property that I let out. I am currently making a loss on the property.
Am I allowed to offset the losses from my property to get tax relief against my normal salary ?
Many thanks,

Marie - Tuesday, February 21st, 2012

Hi myself & my partner are co- owners of two rental properties, both employed but my partner earns a lot more than me as I’m only part-time can we add the rental income to my name therefore pay less tax, I am the person that deals with the properties ie collects rent, sorts out problems, hires trade men ect or do we have to declare the rental income jointly

andy - Thursday, February 23rd, 2012

if i rent a property at a loss ie getting less than mortgage whats the thinking of my staying there for a while

andy - Thursday, February 23rd, 2012

do i declare my house if i let my friend stay and dont cover my mortgage each month

paddy - Sunday, February 26th, 2012

I failed to declare a loss on a rented property some years ago. Does hmrc charge penalties for late filing?

Mike - Wednesday, February 29th, 2012

My understanding is that the only thing that you can offset against tax is the INTEREST on the mortgage and NOT the full mortgage amount? This means you need to be able to seperate the Capital repayment from the interest payment (if you’re not on an interest only mortgage).
Scenario 1
My mortgage is £600 per month
Lets say £400 is interest and £200 capital repayment.
If I charge £600 per month rental then it covers the mortgage, but only £400 is interest (and is an allowable expense). The other £200 is “income” and therefore I should be paying tax on this. At 25% tax I earn only £150 or 40% £120 meaning I don’t cover the mortgage!

There are many people on this discussion board stating there income is not matching the mortgage payments. However if it’s matching the interest section of your mortgage payments, from a tax point of view you aren’t making a loss. Can you confirm if I have understood this correctly please?

Doug - Wednesday, February 29th, 2012

My wife rents out a flat that she bought several years ago. One of the elements of finance for the flat was a loan from her parents on which she pays interest to them. Is interest on private loans an acceptable expense from a tax perspective?

philip bell - Thursday, March 1st, 2012

how long do i have to live in my house before i
have to pay tax on the increased value

Kasey - Friday, March 2nd, 2012

My nan currently rents her flat for £850 PCM but the tenants are moving out, I want to move in and she has said that I would only have to pay all the bills and council tax, as I’m pregnant with twins to help us out financially. So will she need to pay any tax?
She owns 1 house converted into 2 flats which one of them I would live in and the other she rents out, she is retired. Please reply thank you

J Cullen - Wednesday, March 7th, 2012

My ex husband kept our joint property on interest only without my knowledge for some time and had all monies paid into his account. Because the property was in joint name and the initial rental agency in joint name also, am I liable to pay half the tax on the rental he received even though I didn’t receive any monies from it?

Anon - Wednesday, March 7th, 2012

Hi, I own a flat which my mother lives in rent free, while I live with my girlfriend. Do I need to notify anyone as there is no rental income?

Mike M - Monday, March 12th, 2012

I have recently moved back into a house I previously rented out and i am planning to sell it . Once the house is sold would I need to pay capital gains tax ? also is there a minimum amount of time I need to live in the house to avoid paying capital gains tax ? If there is any other information you can provide on this subject id much appreciate it . Thanks Mike

mandy - Monday, March 12th, 2012

hi i pay the mortgage on my house but i dont live there. my two children live there and pay the bills. do i need to tell the mortgage company.

imocat2 - Tuesday, March 13th, 2012

i currently rent my house out to an unemployed couple what happens if i lose my job am i still entitled to unemployment benefit

2loola - Tuesday, March 13th, 2012

I am thinking of renting my property out. Currently the total running cost of the house (inc utilities, internet, council tax and water and mortgage) is approx £900 a month. I will continue to pay all these bills and will include them in the rental charge. But ultimately I will not be making any profit. Will I still need to inform HMRC?

Justin - Wednesday, March 14th, 2012

Hi there I have several properties all mortgaged in my name, I bought these while I was married and my wife contributed to the deposit in all cases. Am I able to split the profit and/or loss 50/50 for the purpose of my tax return, or does the fact that I hold he mortgage and the property in my name alone negate this .

Bryan - Wednesday, March 14th, 2012

Hi, my wife and I rent out our old home. As the house is currently only in my name I assume the rental income in it’s entirety has to be added to my tax return? Also, as my wife deals with handling the rental property (over and above the basic services of a letting agent), would a reasonable payment to her be a permitted deductable expense? If so, is there a rule of thumb for what is considered reasonable?

Eriksmum - Friday, March 16th, 2012

If we jointly own a property but I do all the “work” and all monies are handled by me, rent being paid into an account in my sole name, will both my husband and I have to complete self-assessment forms? Many thanks

kay - Saturday, March 17th, 2012

if i have net profit of 25k howmuch can i put into saving?

Spike - Monday, March 19th, 2012

If my wife accepts a job overseas for two years, will she be liable for stamp duty on a property she buys in the uk during this period.

Christine White - Sunday, March 25th, 2012

What is the best type of mortgage to have for a rented property, given that interest is allowable against tax?

Tricia B - Thursday, March 29th, 2012

We have a 2 bed flat that we let out. We own our house (main residence) but need to let it out in order to move to another area in the country. Its our intention to rent a property for us to live in as the move may only be for a few years and eventually we will move back to our main residence. Are there any tax implications with our choice of letting out our home in order to be able to rent another for us to live in.

susy - Saturday, April 7th, 2012

ok the house we have a morgage on is too small for us,we need a bigger house,our family has extented a lot since we purchased .we were thinking of renting out our house and we go rent a bigger house..what do we need to do in order to do this and is it a good idea.

David - Saturday, April 14th, 2012

Hi, I am a landlord with 3 properties. If I also manage these properties by carrying out visits and doing maintenance, can I offset any expenses from say investing in a new vehicle that is used to carry out repairs.


Tina - Tuesday, April 17th, 2012

For last 9 years I have been leting out a second property. I am not making any profit and the rent hardley covers the mortgage.
Therefore I have not been declaring it as a second income.
Do I need to declar it and if I do how can I go about doing it.

Greg S - Tuesday, April 17th, 2012

I own a flat in my name from before I met my wife. We now have children and my wife is a full time mum. How could I use he zero income to avoid paying tax in rental income. Would I have to transfer the deeds into her name? and what about the mortgage as its also just in my name?

Francesca - Thursday, April 19th, 2012

The new tax return I received last week implies I can’t just deduct the rent a room allowance from my rental income (a lodger in my own house) and be taxed on that. This means that unless I make my expenses high I will be charged a hell of a lot more tax for being only £400 over the rent a room allowance. Any comments or suggestions. My lodger has just left and the room needs a lot of cleaning and sorting out.. I intend to do the work, including redecorating myself. What can I charge towards expenses on my own labour?!

S&L - Thursday, April 19th, 2012

We have a rental property in the canaries which now costs us a fortune as it basically sits empty we also have rentals here can the offset rules apply
Many thanks in anticipation S&L

Steven - Monday, April 23rd, 2012

I would like to know, after I have sold an investment property at a loss, therefore still owe money to the bank and paying interest, can I still claim the interest expenses when I prepare my return?

Pam - Wednesday, May 9th, 2012

I live with my partner who has a mortgage on the property. We share a bedroom but have a spare unused bedroom (storage only). He thinks that because I contribute to him each month he has to declare this to the revenue under the rent a room scheme. I cannot see he is right. for all intents and purposes we are a couple and have been for 3+ years.

A Smith - Friday, May 11th, 2012

I rent out a property to a family member, I pay the mortgage out of the money received. Do I still need to complete a SA if it’s a family member living in the property? Also, will I get in trouble if I have never done one and have had the property for 8 years? I have only been getting an income since mortgage rates dropped so last 3 years.

E Brown - Thursday, May 17th, 2012

My house buyer just pulled out and I want to go ahead and buy my new house by selling my investments. Then when I eventually sell my old house, will I be subject to capital gains tax? I am a UK resident and both houses are in the UK.

Nick - Friday, June 1st, 2012

Please help. I rent my flat out whilst staying with my girlfreind. I don’t know if i need to declare this, as the income is running at approx minus £1200 loss per year: income take away bills & mortgage. I don’t know what to do, & now concerned as its been about 3 years like it. My flat is at a loss as my freind looks after it, & i charge him a small amount in return. Is there a tax form or something?

robert reading - Friday, June 8th, 2012

i have rented a flat for almost 6 years for £400 per month. the mortgauge is £280 a month and i have been out of work due to a health problem almost 2 years,but now am moving back into my property,do i have to inform the inland revenue
especially if i need to sell it?

Carol - Monday, June 25th, 2012

Hi I cannot currently afford to sell my property but I wish to move so I am thinking of renting my property out and renting an equivalent elsewhere. If I am not making any income on my property because I will be paying the equivalent amount of rent on a rental myself, do I still have to pay tax? If I do then the only way to do it would be to move into a smaller property I presume otherwise I will be much worse off than if I just stay in my own property? Thank you

shelley - Tuesday, July 31st, 2012

my dad has a rental property, he makes 1100 pcm and he pays mortgage on a different house which is 900 pounds, in a month his profit is 200, but he is on low income and by the end of the year he makes no profit from the house, by paying for the mortgage and bills. Is that classified as a loss and does he need to let the authorities know about this?

nikki - Tuesday, August 7th, 2012

i am living with my partner, he is self employed and owns his own property. i dont work as we have dependants… our income isnt great and i was renting out my property. however the tenant moved out in may and we had to put the property on the market.. also we are 2 months behind with the mortgage payments…does anyone know what happens to our tax credits should i sell the property as we are struggling in a 2 bed house so when i sell my property all monies received have to go towards building another room. thanks

Olly - Sunday, August 12th, 2012

If my dad buys me a house am i going to get taxed more from my wages?

Celia - Wednesday, August 15th, 2012

As a freeholder of property that is my home I was paid money from leaseholder in ground floor flat below to extend their lease.Where would I put that money on a tax return ?

Becky - Sunday, August 26th, 2012

I am thinking about renting my flat out. The rent we be £500pcm. Once all bills have been deducted from this to cover morgage ect, I will only make a profit of £25 but this is to cover any maintenace within the property, do I need to inform the inland revenue? I am employed full time.

Becky - Sunday, August 26th, 2012

I will be renting out my flat for £500pcm, this will be to cover ground rent mortgage and sky. I will be making £50 profit a month but this is to cover costs of any furnishing/maintenace issues. As this works out as a £600 profit (working on a year basis) do I need to fill out a tax return form?

Mary Smith - Wednesday, August 29th, 2012

My sister who lives in Canada lets a property in the UK. The tenant pays the rent into my husband’s account and my husband gives my sister the rent every year when she visits. As the profit made on the rent received is less than her annual tax allowance no tax is due. However, in naming my husband as her ‘agent’ for which he receives no fee will he be liable for tax and will the revenue believe him when he says he does not receive any money for collecting the rent?

John Perkin - Sunday, September 2nd, 2012

I am a UK citizen and I live in the UK. I have a US property, if I rent this can I claim the US property tax as an expense

bethan - Sunday, September 2nd, 2012

my father is 73 yrs of age and i live with him in a council house he is the named tenant i was curaantly doing a course and was getting payed for it at £350 a month for 12 months and qualified in march i was allso getting cares allowance now i get carers allowance and £180 something to £200 and something a month for my pay as a playworker do i have to mention any changes to the council in my income be it bigger or smaller

Taxing question - Monday, September 3rd, 2012

I have a property and make approximately 550pcm, including annual expenses I make around 4000pa. Can I transfer this money into my 2 children’s accounts as a gratuity for Collage/University, without penalties.

Many thanks in advanced for your response.

Taxing question - Monday, September 3rd, 2012

I have a property and make approximately 550pcm, including annual expenses I make around 4000pa. Can I transfer this money into my 2 children’s accounts as a gratuity for Collage/University, without penalties.

Many thanks in advanced for your response.

Sandra - Monday, September 3rd, 2012

I am relocating to a new area and plan to rent my house out for a minimum of 12 months. I will need to rent a property in the new area I move to. Is the rental I receive from my property classed as income for tax purposes as I am not actually making money on it? Thanks in advance for your advice

Mark - Saturday, September 8th, 2012

I need to rent out my flat as my new partner and I are expecting a child and she will not receive an income other than maternity pay. I live at her flat but we are not married. I earn slightly above the 40% tax threshold.

Is there a way I can use her tax status to avoid paying 40% tax on the income from the flat?

trevor - Thursday, September 13th, 2012

Hello, do i need to pay tax on property we share with my sister in law , we recieve 6000 a year and pay 10% to property agent , and half the money between us so 5400/ 2 = 2700 a year , we have also paid for property up keep on top of things can we deduct this from 2700 before tax, thanks , Trev

julia - Saturday, September 15th, 2012

I am a french citizen. I have bought a house 5 years ago and i am now back living in France. Is it correct that due to the fact that I am not resident in the UK anymore, if i sell the property with profit, I won’t be liable for Capital Gains Tax?

julia - Saturday, September 15th, 2012

i don’t know whether my question is showing
For non resident in the UK when selling a property is it correct that there won’t be a capital gains tax when property sold?
Kindly adivse

julia - Saturday, September 15th, 2012

I am a french citizen. I have bought a house 5 years ago and i am now back living in France. Is it correct that due to the fact that I am not resident in the UK anymore, if i sell the property with profit, I won’t be liable for Capital Gains Tax?

barbarahinson - Sunday, September 16th, 2012

My daughter is renting out her flat, she was made redundant, we would like to know if her payment for her mortgage payments or any other expences are taken into account before a decision is made by the tax office about wether she is allowed any unemployment money or jobseekers

Suzanne - Sunday, September 23rd, 2012

Hi I currently rent out my flat for £350 a month and my mortgage repayments each month total £348. Do I need to complete a tax return?

D - Tuesday, September 25th, 2012

Hi, I am about to rent out a property, with rental payments covering the mortgage payments only. My only expenses are the household and contents insurance. As I will be making no money out of this, do I need to fill in a tax return. If so, when would I need to fill one in if I started rental in October? Thanks :)

sarina - Saturday, September 29th, 2012

hi im thinkin bout buying 2 bed flat for daughter will i have to get buy to let mortgage

Allan - Monday, October 8th, 2012

If I rent out my property but use any income received to pay off the mortgage, will I need to pay tax on it?

Hayley O'brien  - Wednesday, October 10th, 2012

If I am to be named on a mortgage so a friend can keep their house, but I don’t live there, will my tax credits change
I won’t be paying into the house at all it’s just my name

Shaz - Wednesday, October 10th, 2012

Hi I just wanted to find out that if someone lives in a council house can they buy another property. Thanks

Leonard Marsh - Tuesday, October 16th, 2012

I have a house left to me by my mother, which I rent out. My wife and I are both pensioners and its my wife who looks after the management of it.Example finding tenants,arrange for repairs etc: etc: My question Is this, can I not pay my wife for this service? instead of paying a 3rd party and use this payment as an expence to be used for incometax purposes. As I would If paying a 3rd party.Providing ofcourse that the payment is added to my wifes income. I would prefer to do this anyway as I know I would be getting a 1st class service.

richard - Thursday, October 25th, 2012

hi i have a small property, my wife and i were looking at renting through an agency it out while i work australia possibly for a few years.

my father has expressed a wish to live in the property while we are away. this is a win win situation for us, i have family in our home know its looked after and i know the people in it. no need to go through agent and pay fees.

what happens if i pay the mortage? there is no rental income so no tax to pay?

if my dad pays part of the mortgage or all does that class as rental income?

do i still need to let the tax man know?

Nick - Thursday, October 25th, 2012

I am just about to purchase a holiday home. While we will use the property ourselves, we aim to also rent it out.

It is a cash purchase and we expect to make around £4,000-5,000 per annum. The property will be in my sole name as I do not work and currently have no other forms of income.

My initial query is; do I need to register as self employed? And I take it I can use the purchase and initial costs to furnish the property against first year ‘profits’?

Do you have any advice and top tips for holiday lets and the tax implications?

gurpreet - Monday, November 5th, 2012

Hello, my husband and I are in the process of buying a house to rent out. I am a housewife and do not work, whilst my husband is a high tax payer. In order for me to be the one to get taxed on the income for the rent how would we need to set up the purchase? Would it be in joint names or just my own? or is it purely down to where the rent is paid into?

Bats - Thursday, November 8th, 2012

Hi I am in the process of remortgaging my house to buy another property which i am putting in my sons name. What i would like to know is that currently i receive working tax and child tax. would i lose all this is the house was in my name or im i doing the right thing in putting it in my sons name. My son wont be living their, we are going to rent it out. as the mortgage will be on my property can i use the rental money to pay the mortgage on mine.

Lorraine - Friday, November 16th, 2012

My brother an I own a property that we are going to rent out – can I just do the tax return or do we both need to. There is a mortgage on the property and it is in joint names

Gemma - Wednesday, November 28th, 2012

I am a mortgagee for the house I am living in. My other half is going to move in and give me some rent. Do I have to declare this to the tax office?

Jane - Monday, December 3rd, 2012

spanish tax authorities asking for confirmation that our property company is a uk taxpayer. Is there a template that can be used?

lucy hall - Sunday, December 9th, 2012

I own a bungalow jointly with my husband which we are letting out until we move into it in a few years time. We are both retired but my husband’s income (together with his half of the rental income) is less than £7,000 p.a. He is registered as self employed but is unable to find work. Can he charge for his time taken in the decoration and gardening at the property, also for his fuel costs for travel (a 20 mile round trip)? and for this to be offset against both our tax bills ? I receive state pension, but he is not old enough yet. Thankyou

Caroline - Wednesday, December 12th, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

My neighbout is renting out 3 rooms in his house. I know as a fact as the she doesn’t pay tax and doesn’t inform anyone.

I found it realy unfair as I am paying all the taxes from my income and while such a person gets profit apart from standard income and doesn’t declare that.

I am afater advise and also wonder if someone sould check people like that and make them pay money which they supposed to


jay - Saturday, January 12th, 2013

I am thinking about buying a second home to rent out. If I take a mortgage in the home I live in to buy my second home can I use the interest on this mortgage as expenses even though the mortgage is on my property I live in and not on the property I let out? Hope this makes sense.

Jon - Wednesday, January 23rd, 2013

Two brothers own a uk property which they rent the deeds and mortgage are in joint names.Does the taxable profit from the property have to be split 50/50 or can one brother take the whole taxable profit.

caroline - Sunday, February 10th, 2013

My husband and I rent out a property which is in joint names, I don’t pay tax as I am a housewife and my husband pays the higher rate of tax on his income. Do I still need to fill a SA form out? On my husband’s form does he show all income and expenses as halved?

caroline - Sunday, February 10th, 2013

I don’t work as I am a housewife and my husband is a higher rate tax payer. We have 4 children so will it be better for us to stop our child benefit or to pay it back through my husband’s tax? We rent out a property which is in joint names.

Eileen - Thursday, February 28th, 2013

I am a pensioner aged 67 and only received a basic state pension but am about to rent out my house for around £700 p/month will I have to declare this and pay tax

Toni - Wednesday, March 13th, 2013

I am considering moving abroad and letting my house out.

The rental value is 1200 pcm. Will I have to pay tax? I will not have any other means of income in England and also will have to pay rent of a similar value abroad.

Thank you!

TaxFix - Tuesday, March 19th, 2013

Toni: Yes, you’ll have to pay tax on any profit from your rental. Your rent abroad can not usually be offset against this.

phillip - Monday, March 25th, 2013

are the tax office more likely to find out that i have not completed a tax return for the last 3 yrs if the tenant is receiving council tax benefits?

B Rogers  - Friday, April 12th, 2013

Do estate agents notify the inland revenue of the properties they let on behalf of their tenants ?

Anonymous - Friday, April 12th, 2013

I am a pensioner and my property business is running at a loss and my husband and I are living on my pension only and finding it difficult to pay our way. Can I apply for pension credit during this difficult period.

Mickey - Thursday, April 18th, 2013

I have a buy to let property, with the mortgage in my name. If I put my sons name (over 21) jointly with mine on the mortgage (subject to lender allowing):
1.Does my son’s name get listed on the deeds?
2.Is the Inland revenue made aware of this?
3.I assume that I would then be only taxed on half of the rental income?

inanda - Thursday, April 25th, 2013

My husband and I have been letting a property for a few years but the rent just covers the mortgage and we do not take any money, do we have to pay tax?

TaxFix - Thursday, May 2nd, 2013

inanda: You only pay tax on any profit from your rental property. Is the mortgage interest only or a repayment one? Only the mortgage interest can be deducted as an expense.

carol - Thursday, June 13th, 2013

I suspect my landlady is not paying tax on this property she is renting to me , I have been here since November 2008 and renting it for £465 per calendar month , the money goes straight into her bank account which she changes frequently . I also suspect she has not told her mortgage company she is renting this property out as her mortgage statement came and said it was still a repayment mortgage. what can I do

nic - Friday, July 5th, 2013

Hi we have had to move out of our house due to personal circumstances. We hope to sell but if we cant we will have to rent itout. My question is how will this affect tax credits and am I able to claim financial assistance on our house we are currently paying rent for if I have a property that i am lettingout but is running at an overall loss? I am currently on maternity leave but would rather take a career break if possible financially.

Paul - Monday, July 29th, 2013

I have a buy to let property that I rent out. The morgage is in my name. Can my common law partner receive the rent to save income tax as I am top rate & she has no income?