Tax Articles

Tax Rebate Forms

Tax Rebate Calculator

Income Tax Calculator

Income Tax Back for Being Unemployed

Being made redundant and not being able to find a job can be one of the most stressful times in a person’s life. This worry can be compounded when the inevitable money worries start to occur as Job Seekers allowance is hardly enough to live on.

At the moment in the UK there are 1.7 million people without a job. Not many of them are aware that if they do claim job seekers allowance then this is classified as part of their taxable income.

When you do not have a job, applying for tax refunds will probably be the last thing on your mind, however they could provide you with a much needed boost in your income. It is highly likely that if you have been out of work for any length of time, you are due some tax back as your annual tax allowance would not have been calculated correctly.

Even if you have now found a job, it might be worth contacting a tax refund service agent as they could claim your tax back for any time that you were out of work during the last six years.

Want answers to questions such as “Am I due a tax rebate” ? Tax Fix works on a ‘No tax back, No Fee’ basis. So what do you have to lose?

Anonymous - Thursday, April 22nd, 2010

I was laid off from my job in January. Am I due a tax refund?

admin - Thursday, April 22nd, 2010

There is a good chance that you will be able to claim a tax refund.

You should have been given a P45 when you finished working.

Take your P45 and you can then complete the online application to apply for a tax rebate at:

Ashley Holden - Monday, April 26th, 2010

I was laid off October 13 2009 but have only just been paid off. My employer has paid me redundancy of £747. I have been on jobseekers allowance since November. Will I be eligible for a tax rebate?

admin - Monday, April 26th, 2010

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for your comment.

If you were laid off then there is a good chance you will be due a tax refund.

You should have been given a P45 when you finished worked, do you still have part 1 of this?

Your P45 will show much you have earned and paid in tax. Add to your income and JSA you received between the date you lost your job and April 5th 2010. And then input the figures here:

made redundant June 2009, - Wednesday, April 28th, 2010

Not recieving job seekers allowance, can i claim back tax

admin - Wednesday, April 28th, 2010

So you were made redundant in June 2009 and did not work or receive JSA between then and the end of the tax year (April 5th 2010)? If that is the case you will likely be due a large tax refund. How much did you earn between April 5th 2009 and when you lost your job? If it was below £6,475 you will be able to claim all of your tax back. You should have bene given a P45 when you finished work. Do you still have this?

sophia - Saturday, May 8th, 2010

I have been made redundant 5 months ago, and is currently on job seekers allowance, I would like to know if I am entitle to a tax rebate. I have my P45 what do I do next, please advise.

Thank you

TaxFix - Saturday, May 8th, 2010

Hi Sophia,

If you lost your job 5 months ago there is a good chance that you will get a tax refund.

All you need to do is complete the online application and send us your P45 and we can process any refund for you. You can apply at:

Anonymous - Monday, May 10th, 2010

I was made redundant Oct 09, since april 09 ive been claiming sick pay until present, ive moved since being made redundant and have lost my P45 form. Am I entitled to a tax rebate? I have a P60 form if thats any help, many thanks.

TaxFix - Tuesday, May 11th, 2010

Hi Anonymous,

If you were made redundant in October 2009, how have you been claiming sick pay if you were not working for anyone? You can use your P60 to check if you are due a tax refund by inputting the total tax paid and the total income for the year from your P60 into our tax rebate calculator:

Anonymous - Tuesday, May 11th, 2010

hi, thanks for that, sorry now ive read it bk it doesnt make sense!. was claiming sick pay apr09 til oct09,now im claiming employment support allowance. from oct 09 till present,thanks.

Dave - Tuesday, May 11th, 2010

I was made redundant on March 24th and being realistic,at 55 might find it very difficult to find a job paying £55k that I was earning. I have decided to become self employed but doubt if i will see any income from this for at least 3 month’s due to the nature of my business. Can i get any tax refund?

TaxFix - Wednesday, May 12th, 2010

Hi Dave,

Normally if you stop working part way through the tax year it is possible to claim a tax refund. Every person gets a yearly tax free allowance which is allocated in our monthly wages, so if you stop work part way through the year you do not get the full allowance. However because you stopped working at almost the end of the tax year, you may not be very much of a refund if anything. You can check to see if you are by using our tax rebate calculator

Peter - Sunday, May 16th, 2010

Got laid of March 2010. Can’t get JSA or anything my employer has not given me my p45 and wont answer my calls can i still get tax back.

TaxFix - Monday, May 17th, 2010

Hi Peter,

As you stopped working towards the end of the tax year, your tax refund probably won’t be that much. You can check using our tax refund calculator. If you do not have a P45, you can write to your employer and ask for a statement of earnings, which acts as a replacement for a P45 or P60.

Simon - Monday, May 17th, 2010

Hi I was made redundant on April 23rd 2010 and my p45 shows i paid tax on my redundancy payment is this correct and would i be entitled to a rebate

Melanie - Tuesday, May 18th, 2010

Made redundant in early June 2009 and didn’t start work until end April 2010. I’m assuming I’m due a rebate from the job centre? I’m just wondering if they pay them automatically at the end of the year or do I need to chase it?
Many thanks

TaxFix - Tuesday, May 18th, 2010

Hi Simon,

The first £30,000 of any redundancy payments are usually tax free. However you should check your contract, as if it specifies that you are eligible for a redundancy payment, then it is no longer tax free.

TaxFix - Tuesday, May 18th, 2010

Hi Melanie,

As you lost your job in June 2009, you will have only worked part of the tax year and therefore likely be due a tax refund.

Unfortunately you do not get tax refunds automatically, you need to apply.

You should have been given a P45 when you finished working.

If you have this you can apply for your tax refund here.

TaxFix - Thursday, May 20th, 2010

Hi Gary,

As you stopped working in March 2008 and didnt start again until June 2009 you would have only straddled two tax years. Often when you only work for part of the tax year you become eligible for a tax refund. You should have been given a P45 when you lost your job, do you still have this? If so, you can claim your tax refund here.

tommy - Friday, May 21st, 2010

my employers terminated my contract due to ill health after 4 months during that time i got some company sick and ssp am i still elegible for a tax refund i am on ni contribution

TaxFix - Friday, May 21st, 2010

Tommy: It will depend on how much you earned in the tax year (April 6th until April 5th the following year). Can you work out how much you earned during that time including any sick pay and/or benefits. It should show on your P60 or P45. You can then use your tax rebate calculator to see how large your tax refund would be.

daniel - Saturday, May 22nd, 2010

Hi I have been working self employed as a builder. for 5 yrs. the guy who paid us and ran the site has done a runner with all the wages, i have no work lost all my tools and now lost my accomadation. i have found somewere to rent but i have no money can i claim mine back. please thank you

TaxFix - Sunday, May 23rd, 2010

Daniel: If you were self employed you would need to do a tax return. You can claim a number of work related expenses when you do a tax return.

kb - Wednesday, May 26th, 2010

I got made redundant in August 09 and then got a temporary job for 8 weeks paying emergancy tax. I’m now on jsa and not recieved my p60 yet. I have both p45′s am i entitled to a rebate thanks

TaxFix - Wednesday, May 26th, 2010

KB: There is a very high chance you will be due a tax rebate if you have paid emergency tax. You will not get a P60 unless you were working for an employer on the 5th April. You can still claim your tax refund with your P45′s. All you need to do is complete our online tax refund application.

Tracey - Thursday, May 27th, 2010

My husband was put on a three day week in feb 09 in sept 09 broke his ankle and was on illness benifet till jan 10 then employeer hadn’t enough work so on jobseekers since is he entitled to a tax refund

TaxFix - Thursday, May 27th, 2010

Tracey: How much did your husband earn in total between 6th April 2009 and 5th April, including any income from JSA or any other benefits? If you can calculate this (it may be on his P60 or P45) and then also find out how much tax he paid in his job. you can input these figures into our tax refund calculator.

Maria - Sunday, May 30th, 2010

Hi TaxFix. I was laid off on 5mar09 and found a job first on 4jun09. During those 3 months I didnt get any JSA. Am I entitled to a tax refund for the tax year 09-10 (I have continuously worked since then on a £100k + salary). Thanks.

TaxFix - Sunday, May 30th, 2010

Maria: Hi. You should have been given a P45 when you finished your job. Your P45 should tell you how much you earned and how much you paid in tax during the year. Type these amounts into our tax rebate calculator and it will let you know if you are due a rebate.

jac - Monday, May 31st, 2010

made redundant 2nd week in April at 63 will take private pension in October and retire as I will get no more jobseekers . Can I apply to have tax allowance set against my pension.

TaxFix - Tuesday, June 1st, 2010

Jac: At the end of the tax year you should check to see if you are getting your full allowance from your private pension.

Tom - Friday, June 18th, 2010

Hi, I was on job seekers allowance between may 2009 and september 2009 where I recieved £1040, I then got a job where I earned under the threshold for taxable earnings but paid £500 tax. Am I entitled to this back or has this already been paid back via the job seekers allowance? Thanks

TaxFix - Friday, June 18th, 2010

Tom: If you earnings from both JSA and your job was less than £6475 you can claim back all of the £500. Do you have your P45/P60s. If so we can help you claim back any tax refund. Our online application is quick and straightforward.

Tom - Saturday, June 19th, 2010

I only have my P60, the P45 I recieved from JSA was misplaced unfortunately

asmaa - Saturday, June 26th, 2010

I was working full time , paying income tax , then I became ill with cancer , can I apply for tax refund

TaxFix - Saturday, June 26th, 2010

asmaa: If you finished working part way through the tax year, there is a good chance that you may be due a tax refund. When the tax year is over you can check using your P45/P60 and our tax calculator.

Anonymous - Tuesday, July 6th, 2010

lost my job in april 2008 was self employed have not claimed any benefits ami entitled to a tax rebate

TaxFix - Tuesday, July 6th, 2010

Anonymous: If you are self employed then you should be completing a self assessment tax return, and any refund due would be calculated within this. We can help with your tax return if you like.

Anon - Thursday, July 8th, 2010

I lost my job in June 2009 & then was claiming JSA till December – will i get back my TAX that i paid up until June or, is this deducted off the JSA that i claimed? Many thanks

TaxFix - Friday, July 9th, 2010

Anon: It will depend on how much you earned (including any JSA) and how much tax you paid. If you have your P45 you can make a claim for a tax refund by going here.

jay - Tuesday, July 27th, 2010

i had been terminated, can i file a tax return

sean - Wednesday, July 28th, 2010

if i was taxed on my redundacy over £30,000 will i get this back if i have not worked for a year?

karl - Wednesday, August 11th, 2010

I was made redundant in july 2008 after being there for 3 years. i then went onto jobseekers allowance for 1 month and then stopped claiming it. in feb 2009 i then started working again until november 2009 due to the work being seasonal i then started working again in february 2010 without claiming jobseekers allowance until August 2010. I am now out of work and not claiming anything can you please tell me if i am entitle to any tax back at all from any of/all of these periods. I have never had a tax refund. hope this makes sense to you.

TaxFix - Wednesday, August 11th, 2010

karl: As you have stopped working a number of times, part way through the tax year, there is a good chance that you will be due a tax refund. Do you have your P45/P60s? If not you can write to your employers and ask for a statement of earnings, which can be used as a replacement for a P60/P45. When you have your P45/P60/statement of earnings you can apply for your tax refund here.

Anonymous - Monday, August 16th, 2010

I was made redundant 14 months ago – I sent my P60U and P45 to HMR&C and received almost £7k in tax rebate – why ?

TaxFix - Monday, August 16th, 2010

Anonymous: It sounds like you overpaid tax and you were paid back your entitlement from that overpayment.

anonymous - Thursday, August 26th, 2010

Have finally got my jbs and housing benefit sorted but now have been offered an 8 week job, do i stop claiming and then reapply for these benefits in 8 weeks when the job is finished

Margaret - Thursday, September 9th, 2010

I work in a Doctors surgery and the staff are required to wear a uniform which is purchased by them. (only two blouses, two trousers and a jacket). I have been instructed I need to pay tax on this. I this correct. I have heard in the past that Ican claim tax back on the laundry cost. Can you help please.

Mr D - Wednesday, September 15th, 2010

My employer had to terminate my contract because i can’t go back to work due to dissability.I will never be able to work again.I was in my job for 6 years.Can i claim all my tax back that i’ve paid for the last 6 yrs,if so can i do it as soon as i get my p45?

Paul - Wednesday, September 15th, 2010

Due to my dissability my work place terminated my contract last Friday.I will never be able to go back to work again.I was working for the last 6 yrs.Can you tell me if i can claim all my tax back for the past 6yrs,and if so how soon can i do it?

TaxFix - Monday, September 20th, 2010

Mr D: If you have worked for a full tax year it is less likely that you will be due a tax refund. If you stopped working part way through the tax year, which it sounds like you did, you would be able to claim for that year. Were you given a P45? Keep this safe until the end of the tax year and then you can make a claim.

Lucy - Thursday, September 23rd, 2010

Hi, I was made redundant end of July 2009, and started freelancing from Oct. I earned about £6400 between Oct 09 – April 10. How do I start working out my tax to pay in Jan 2011? Do I just work out 20% of the monies earned between Oct – April (- allowed expenses)? Am I eligible for a tax rebate?

mikey 69 - Thursday, October 14th, 2010

can i reclaim my tax allowance if ive not worked for the whole of a tax year,and im on jsa?

TaxFix - Friday, October 15th, 2010

mikey 69: You can only reclaim tax not the allowance. Did you pay any tax? If so you can claim it back.

Anonymous_0028 - Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010

I was on maternity leave & receiving maternity pay since March 2010 then I was made redundant last August. Am I due for a tax refund?

TaxFix - Thursday, November 4th, 2010

Anonymous_0028: As you stopped working part way through the tax year it is likely you will be due a tax rebate. You can make a claim at the end of the tax year (April 5th).

Annon - Tuesday, November 9th, 2010

I was made redundant last christmas and for about 3-4 months was unemployed would I be entitled to a tax refund even though I did not sign on at the job centre?

TaxFix - Thursday, November 11th, 2010

Annon: It all depends on how much you earn and how much you pay in tax. You can check to see if you are due a rebate by using our tax rebate calculator here

Milly - Saturday, November 13th, 2010

I have just received a small tax rebate of £100 will this affect my housing benefit and do I have to declare it?

Sharon - Wednesday, November 17th, 2010

I was made redundant in June 2009 and received income based JSA until Dec 2009, then nothing. I started a new job in August 2010, should I be paying income tax now?

alan - Sunday, November 28th, 2010

i was made redundant in july, can i claim any tax repaymet ?

TaxFix - Sunday, November 28th, 2010

alan: At the end of the tax year (April 5th 2011) you will be able to make a claim.

marty - Tuesday, November 30th, 2010

I got paid off in august,and I am not claiming JSA,will I be elligible for a refund now or will I have to wait untill next aprill ?

marty - Tuesday, November 30th, 2010

a very helpfull website

TaxFix - Wednesday, December 1st, 2010

marty: You will need to wait until the end of the tax year.

admin - Thursday, December 9th, 2010

could u give me an idea who i claim my sick pay off when self employed

mr alan simpson - Friday, December 31st, 2010

i was made redundant 5/12/08 can i claim a refund

TaxFix - Monday, January 3rd, 2011

mr alan simpson: At the end of the tax year (April 5th) you will be able to make a claim. The amount of your claim depends on how much you have earned and how much you paid in tax during the year.

Mark - Tuesday, January 11th, 2011

I owe some tax but I will soon be redundant.They (my employer) got my code wrong.

How am I supposed to pay off the tax?

TaxFix - Wednesday, January 12th, 2011

Mark: Do you owe tax through your job or because you are self employed? If you are self employed you would usually complete a tax return where your tax liability will be calculated.

Phil - Wednesday, January 12th, 2011

I left my job at the end of August 2010 and did not start my new job until near the end of October. I claimed JSA but the DWP didn’t sign me off on there systems properly therefore I didn’t receive a P45 for several weeks. My employer said that HMRC would tell them how much tax to pay me back. That was the middle of November, I still have not had a rebate as of 12/01/11. How long does this process usually take?

h,ch - Thursday, January 13th, 2011

i have been out of work since september 2010 can i cliam tax rebate not cliamed any monies else where how much might i get prior to being employed 18 month @ £42.600.00 pa

Tom - Monday, January 24th, 2011

I was made redundant at the beginning of jan ’11 after working there for just over a year, the employer has since disappeared without giving me a P45 or a statement of earnings! is it possible to obtain it? as i need to present it in order to claim JSA and will i be able to claim a rebate for the time i am unemployed?

TaxFix - Friday, January 28th, 2011

Tom: If you can not contact your employer then it might be hard to request it. Your local tax office may hold some of the information and they may accept your payslips in rare circumstances like this.

Dave Stevens - Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011

I am unemployed and I have a hobby writing. I have only earned twice from my hobby, once, two years ago, and also this year. Is this classed as earnings and if so, will I be in trouble for not declaring?

I do not earn regularly from my writing, as I class this as a hobby I love to do. Saying that, I would dearly love to go self-employed if I was earning regularly from my writing.

Ian H - Friday, February 11th, 2011

I have just signed off contributions-based JSA which I had been on since November, when my seasonal job ended. Will I be entitled to any kind of tax rebate, and will this be issued automatically or do I have to claim it in person from the tax office?

Phil - Monday, February 14th, 2011

Hi, I worked for a company for 3 years, whilst working for them I had a company van. I recieved a letter from the tax office claiming tax years 07-08 and 08-09 I underpaid my tax by £1400 and they are wanting it back. I was not self employed, so i’m thinking this would be a fault between the tax office and my employer. I wrote a letter to the tax office stating this, but they still believe I should pay the owed tax back. Would this be correct, or is it the fault of my employer??

Many thanks for any advice

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 16th, 2011

Phil: It is hard to say without knowing the situation. I would ask them how they calculate that you have unpaid tax. I would then look at this and reconcile it with your own figures to see if it is correct.

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 16th, 2011

Ian H: You may be. You can check at the end of the tax year when you know how much you will have earned and paid in tax in total during the year. You can use our tax calculator to estimate your rebate.

Ruby - Monday, February 21st, 2011

I am currently out of work and left a part time job a few weeks ago.I was very unhappy and now feel very stupid that I did leave without getting another job-easier said than done!
I applied for JSA thinking that I wouldn’t get anything straight away because I had left my job.
Previous to this job I had been self employed; and was made insolvent basically due to lack of business! We have been left with alot of debt.
Due to the business not working no tax or national insurance contributions where paid.
I was paying emergency tax at the part time job and did receive a tax refund just before Christmas.
Before starting my business I worked full-time and had done for the previous 20 years! I did leave my full time job in Feb 2009 and didn’t claim anything even though I was out of work till I started the business in June 2009.
I have now received a letter saying that I am not entitled to JSA, due to lack of contributions 2009-2010. But was told when I first made the claim that the contributions from 2008-2010 would be taken into the claim???
It firstly does really annoy me that we work for years and years and when we need help you can’t get it!
Anyway can anyone please advise on this if possible please and can I claim anything back?

Diane - Friday, February 25th, 2011

I have temporlay laid off work from the 1st of February 2011 and this lay off could until May 2011, because of this i can’t pass my p45 over or my p60. I have been getting tax rebates in my wage from Nov 2010 to January 2011 each month has my hourse went down from 24 to 15 hours from November 2010 so how do i go about getting a tax reabte now has i know i won’t have my job back til May when the new tax has been over with and if i am due a tax rebate would this have went in with my guarnteed payment what i was getting in February which i was geeting a guarnteed wage of a £110.00.

Chris - Tuesday, March 1st, 2011

Hi, I lost my job on 18/2/11, i am due to receive job seekers allowance (first signed on 23/2/11). I paid emergency tax when i started my last job for around a month then week 1 tax for the following six months. I must be due tax back, do i have to wait till back in employment to claim back.I have my p45 from last job.

Simon - Friday, March 11th, 2011

I am due to be made redundant with a redundancy payment way in excess of £30k. If I am unsuccessful in finding employment over the next few months, would I able to able to claim a tax rebate on the amount of lump sum of £30k (I know the first £30k is tax free). As I have mortgage protection insurance I am wondering whether it is worth white taking 6 months out, having a holiday and doing some retraining. Someone mentioned tax would be paid back to me on a monthly basis. Can anyone advise on this?

dave - Saturday, March 12th, 2011

been on jsa since june 2007 to the present day,,can i claim tax back

keith evans - Friday, March 25th, 2011

I have been laid off and went to see if i could claim job seekers allowance. I was told that i would not be able to get any due to the fact that i had not paid enough contributions over the last 2 years. I have been self employed for the last 4 years had a letter in 2006 stating that i had paid enough contributions. No one bothered to tell me that this had changed in the last two years and if i had known this i would have paid up.

Joanne - Thursday, March 31st, 2011

Hi, I have just being through 8 stressful months – have a 8 month old baby so I am / was on maternity leave, sold my 2 bed room flat – a nightmare of a process, offer on second house we are buying just fell through and now I have been made redundant (March 2011) and cannot get another mortgage as my partner is freelance and banks won’t know him. I’m even more annoyed to learn today that being paid my redundancy in Mar 11 VS April means a higher tax reduction (loss of around 7K) as I have used up all of my 20% allowance. Being so busy looking for temporary accommodation and with baby that I didn’t even think of looking into best time to receive redundancy payment. Giving I have in effect worked the whole tax year I assume I will not be entitled to tax rebate (went on mat leave at end of July and paid 2 mths full pay and 4 mths half pay then SMP for 3 mths (end of April). With thanks in advance.

Neil - Monday, April 4th, 2011

I’ve been on JSA since August, so I’m expecting an income tax refund, which I understand will be sorted by the Job Centre (who are technically my ‘employer’) at the end of this tax year (actually in a couple of days time). I was set on this money just coming through in time, but now I’m told that the Job Centre just process them in alphabetical order, and expect to get to mine “some time about May or June”. Do you know if this is right, and if there is anything I can do to expedite the process? I’m sure this wouldn’t be considered an acceptable timescale for a ‘real’ employer.

peter tobitt - Wednesday, April 6th, 2011

i have not worked for over two years and cant get job seekers have not payed enough ni can i get a tax refund for the two years out of work

Emma Cummings - Thursday, April 14th, 2011

I am currently unemployed and i was wondering if i will get any tax back? i read on the internet that the benefits office usually deal with that for you.. is this true? if so do i need to do anything?

paul - Tuesday, April 26th, 2011

hi, ive been self employed for about 15years but in june 2008 i declaired my self bankrupt.the court sent me a letter after 6 months releasing me due to the unfair behaviour of my creditors. I didn’t receive a self assesment form until april 2009 to april 2010 was due, i was late with it but the tax office assured me it would be calculated by april 08th 2011. i chased it and was then told it would be early may. it was actually calculated on april 15th and i was told by telephone that £2665.56 would be in my bank within 14 days.I then received my tax calculation letter confirming the amount of £2665.56 but no confirmed date when i will receive it. i just rang again “26th april” to be told that the calculation is right but its not letting him release the funds! he said not to worry it should be in my bank within 15 days from today. realistically should i be worried? what could be the delay? is it something to do with my 2008 bankruptcy? and can they confirm writing and then not pay the amount? help me please………

Ravenslave - Wednesday, May 4th, 2011

I am due a tax refund, would anyone be able to advise on when these payments are released? My contract expired in January 2011 and I handed over the relevant paperwork to DWP, but I have heard nothing since about my refund….help please!

michael innes - Thursday, May 5th, 2011

I stopped being self employed on the 28th february 2011and started full time employment on the 25th april 2011. What can i claim for?

andrew wright - Sunday, May 8th, 2011

i am clamin jobseekers and broke my ankle ladt week will this affect my claim my cast is due off on the 9 of june please can u help

Alfred Smith - Monday, May 9th, 2011

The cost of living has gone up by about 25% in the last year, rising food costs, utility bills, housing, car insurance, fuel, everything. Minimum wage has gone up by only 1%. What the hell is that all about? Clearly when they calculated the amount of money a person needs to live on last year they were way off, because this year they’ve concluded that people need 20% less pay in relation to living costs. Or maybe it’s just that this year they’ve decided that people can function as slaves to a much greater extent than ever before. Please explain how the hell I’m supposed to live on a measly £6.00 per hour now that my living costs are through the roof? It’s not rocket science to calculate that if living costs go up 25% then a 1% increase in minimum wage is beyond a joke. The minimum should be £7.50 per hour now just to stay on par with last years minimum, get it?

Sheeple are sleep walking into slavery.

Jim - Thursday, May 12th, 2011

If i paid tax of £400 before i earned over the £6400 threshold will i recieve it all back?

ian dunn - Friday, May 20th, 2011

can i claim a rebate from my job seekers allowance payments

fred - Saturday, May 28th, 2011

my partner signed on wed and we normaly get our money 2 days later but it hasnt gone in our bank, dont know why cos it normaly do

RHI - Wednesday, June 1st, 2011

My boyfriend has recently move in with me, can he claim JSA as he is unemployed and looking for work,I am in full-time employment and working 40 hrs a week and have one child under 16, I am also register disabled

dorothy - Thursday, June 16th, 2011

my sanction for jsa is due to be lifted 22nd june and due to be paid 28th june currently on a4e will i receive it then

Claire - Wednesday, June 22nd, 2011

Hi, my old company closed down May 2010 i worked there since January 2010,and i have been working for new company ever since but im due a rebate but the tax office won’t refund unitl i can get a payslip on P45 or statemnet of earnings problem is the boss has done a runner and closed the company down so i have no way to contact his can i force the tax office to look at my refund the don’t seem very understandinf i need HELP

Derek - Tuesday, July 19th, 2011

why do l have to pay br on my army pension when l dont work or claim unemployment.

bee - Tuesday, July 19th, 2011

Hi I am 17, and unemployed, i could work but can not find any work, is there any benefits i could receive from the job centre, i know i can not have JSA as u must be 18 could you please help?

keely - Saturday, July 23rd, 2011

Hi I have had my contract at work terminated due to ill health, my manager advised me I would get one months full pay for every year I have been there. Is this correct

Harry - Monday, August 8th, 2011

I have a Armed forces Pension of £12000 per year and have recently been made redundant. Will I now pay less tax and insurance on this pension?

anonymous - Thursday, August 25th, 2011

I was made redundant in september 2010, I didnt clain JSA until 12th April 2011 and signed off 22nd August as I now have a new job, am I due a rebate?

cougar - Wednesday, September 14th, 2011

I lived and worked overseas for 1 year ( April 2008 – May 2009) but was made redundant and returned to the UK and found a new job.

Can I claim back my tax allowance for that year?

Natalie - Wednesday, September 28th, 2011

Hi there i recently have signed off on JSA and i had a letter come through saying i have a taxable income of over £1000 while i was signing on i must of been paying tax and it says at the top of the letter that i can claim it, but how? do i get the full amount?

julie - Thursday, September 29th, 2011

hi i not worked fof about 15 years i recently stated work would i get a tax rebate

Zoe - Thursday, September 29th, 2011


I recently left full time employment to study from home for a new career in driving instruction. In addition to this I am planning on setting up a small cake business which I will run from home but this will not be in operation until next year so I am currently umemployed and have been since the end of July.

I was paying tax in my last job up until July prior to leaving and I intend doing some freelance work for the company on a part time basis over the next few months.

How does this imapct on my tax for 2011/2012?

Kane - Saturday, October 8th, 2011

Hi, I’am a student and through the summer I have been applying for student finance for my next course with a diffrent university, the problem is Is that my mum has been charged with a £300 tax payment becuase I’am am living under her roof, I havnt had a job and the only money I have gotten is loans and grants from student finance, Is this right for thm to take tax from my mum if I am an unemployed student living in her house? she claims doesnt claim any benifits from me and but is claiming benefits for her mental illness.


Brett Isherwood - Monday, October 24th, 2011

I went self employed in Feb after being on Job Seekers Allowance, I subsequently received an incentive of £50 per week for something like 4-6months (cant remember how long). Do I need to put this money into my income spreadsheet for the last tax year or do I just leave it out..?

karen  - Monday, October 24th, 2011

I have been working since full time since I was 16 – I have now been made redundant – after 34 yrs of working – do I still have to sign on to pay my national insurance


jen - Wednesday, October 26th, 2011

I have been recieving on SSP from my employer since june 2011 am I entitled to a tax refund st this time as I will not be going back to work

Jen - Wednesday, October 26th, 2011

only on SSp can I get a tax refund now.and how can I declare myself bankrupt

patience - Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011

Can I claim my tax refund if iv been working for two months and no longer working

anon - Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011

I had to leave mt temp job due to illness and am finding it difficult to get another job in this economy. I was paying emergency tax whilst working and was wondering if I can claim any of that back from when I was earning.

Jean Chenery - Friday, November 4th, 2011

I have been made redundant in Oct 2011 after 22 years of employment my redundancy package has been taxed at 20% I have been told that if I go back to work within a certain time I will need to repay the 40% level of tax is this the case when can I return to work without having to repay this tax?

colette - Monday, November 7th, 2011

hi i was given a contract but on probation period of 6 months (extended from 3)after starting the job i was diagnosed with an illness which affected my attendance but i always produced letters from gp/hospitals. i was told by telephone even though my work was exemletory. i now have no job and am currently renting a private property which i can no longer affoard and am at a loss what to do
kind regards

Rob B - Monday, November 14th, 2011

I have just lost my job and am looking to get something very quickly. Do I have to sign on?

David Hollingworth - Monday, November 14th, 2011

I have just been told I cannot claim job seekers allowance, and its unlikely I will be able to claim income base job seekers allowance either as my partner works over 24hrs a week. I was laid off in September 2011, can I claim tax back ?

Cheryl - Saturday, November 19th, 2011

I got made redundant In may an is signing on
But my contribution jsa stops an goes to national
Insurece based so won’t b getting any payments
can I get a tax refund?? If I’m still signing even
Tho it’s national Insurence an not an income now


Janet  - Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011

I was made redundant march 2009 I only had job seekers for 6 months. Would I be entitled to a tax refund.

peter moz - Thursday, December 1st, 2011

Hi im a self employed, i do house and garden maintenance,
I have a chance to run a site in london what do i do,
ie tax cert or card required etc HELP.

Tilly - Saturday, December 3rd, 2011

I am a single mum to a baby girl and I receive income support and housing benefit. The other day I got a letter and a cheque from HMRC for a tax rebate of £250 from the tax year 2005-2006. Will I get to keep this or will it affect my benefits? I feel that it shouldn’t as this is money I should have had back before I had to claim benefits!

Many thanks,


tim - Thursday, December 8th, 2011

i have just been in formed that i have a tax rebate how long does it take for the jobseekers to pay it into my account as i am unemployed

danny - Wednesday, December 14th, 2011

My wife works under the table and we have a new born baby can we still claim her and get money back?

Kevin - Wednesday, December 14th, 2011

I am 55 and retired from the public sector. My pension is £250 per week. I have some savings. am i entitled to benefit?

kendra - Sunday, January 1st, 2012

can i file for a tax refund if i haven’t worked for that entire year, but i received unemployment for 8 months of the year? I have 3 dependents my wife and 2 children. or will i have to pay taxes ?

john - Friday, January 6th, 2012

been off sick since october with a bad back, been made redundant wilst off sick, who do i claim sick pay off? would i be able to claim any tax back?

desmond kavanagh - Friday, January 6th, 2012

hi looking to claim any tax i mite have back but cant get p45 or p60. what can i do?

trevor - Monday, January 9th, 2012

I was made redundant in september 2010 but luckily got a job in march 2011 and started paying tax on basis of paye. am i due a rebate of any form ?, cheers

saran  - Wednesday, January 11th, 2012

dwp is paying me smp because my company has closed down but hm revenues said iam not entitled to working tax credit, can i claim something

JH- - Thursday, January 12th, 2012

my contract has been terminated due to being on the sick for a certain amount of months.. i aint able to go back due to mental health issues – how do i go about claiming, who do i ring? what do i say? etc.

SJL - Tuesday, January 17th, 2012

Hi – my contract was terminated in September 2011, after being on the sick since January. I started claiming ESA straight away, and ended up on contributary based ESA….my benefits were stopped in December, as I didn’t score enough points on the medical, but I nappealed and this has been upheld and I asked for it to be backdated and I am now on income related ESA. Can you tell me if claiming a refund affects my benefits, or will the HMRC know what to look for/deduct, if anything? I have my P45. Thanks

Anonymous - Tuesday, January 17th, 2012

Was a student but am struggeling to find work so I am on Jobseekers allowance. Do I have to fill in a tax self assesment form?

anonymous - Tuesday, January 24th, 2012

do i have to tell the inland revenue that im claiming job seekers allowance

alex - Thursday, January 26th, 2012

I was made redundant and have been on a JSA since late october 2010. I recently formed a limited company inorder to start working, but only earn £7.00 an hour. do I still have to do a self assessment before the 31st of Jan. bearing in mind I only just formed my company a week ago?

alex - Thursday, January 26th, 2012

Do i have to do a self assessment tax before the 31st of january if I have a limited company but earn less than

steve jones - Saturday, January 28th, 2012

been working for a company for 11 years but am being laid off as i have suffered a few health problems of late, am i entitled to my full redundancy pay? any help would be great thanks.

Anonymous 2 - Tuesday, January 31st, 2012

I claimed for a tax refund because I was paying tax in my previous job even though I am a student and earn under £65000. I sent off a form beginning of December 2011 and I still Haven’t heard anything? Should I Be soon?

Ian Rothwell - Tuesday, January 31st, 2012

I took volutary redundancy in may 2009,i did not work again until I & started to be self employed from january 2010 until july 2010 & did not claim any job seekers allowance I then started a limited company in july of 2010 so i am now an employee for my own company,would i be able to claim a tax rebate for the period from may 2009 until january 2010

chris - Wednesday, February 1st, 2012

i was made redundent in september 2011 but found a job in december 2011 which is self employed do i need to fill in a tax return. thankyou for your help

si mc - Wednesday, February 1st, 2012

so you need to do a tax return if you were on jobseekers for the whole tax year?

Bo bowers - Thursday, February 2nd, 2012

Hi there I was off sick last year between jan feb sept oct nov a whole 5 months. Will I get a tax rebate back thanks.

Ron Harris - Friday, February 3rd, 2012

I have been on sick leave for 2 years and now my company has told me I am to be laid off due to ill health,I have not received any payment from the company or holiday payment and they still hold my p45 can I receive any payment from them

Winslade - Saturday, February 4th, 2012

I am writing as I wondered weather JSA contributions based along with housing benefit, council tax benefit is infact taxable? My partner has recieved a P60U for 2011 which to honest doesnt really make any sense!!!


Gemma - Thursday, February 16th, 2012

I was self employed for years, but at the end up I hadnt paid my national insurance contributions as I had no money coming in. I went bankrupt in August last year and have now signed on for job seekers allowance, the job centre have been a nightmare and dont seem to understand my bankruptcy. However I received a letter the other day from the job centre saying I am not entitled to any money from job seekers allowance as i hadnt paid my National Insurance. They have said I will need to sign on for around 6months without receiving any money in order to get my national insurance contributions back up to date before I will start receiveing any money. can you help me with this please as I am not sure if i can appeal it or not as I have no money what so ever and im not sure how Im meant to live with nothing. I dont plan on being signed on for 6months or more.


ali - Saturday, February 18th, 2012

I was self employed for 14 years and had to finish
i have applied for jsa and was informed that because i was self employed i wont have any money. is this right

Denise - Sunday, February 19th, 2012

I am an unemployed full time student about to receive my bachelor’s degree. Throughout the four years of schooling I have received a 1098-T form in the mail. Was or am I capable of filing income and receiving a refund? I heard about a $1000 student stipend, am I eligible for this?

Anon  - Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012

I was recently made redundant due to my company
Going into liquidation I haven’t recieved my
P45 which I need for the council to finish my
Counci tax and housing benefit claim.

Neil Roebuck - Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012

My JSA (Contribution based) has now finished and I’m not entitled to JSA (Income based) which means we have to live off our savings.
Am I entitled to any tax refund?

Neil Roebuck - Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012

I have just finished JSA (Contribution based) but due to savings can’t get JSA (Income based)

I’m 61. The same applies to Pension Credit in as much that I will not receive any payment due to savings of circa £22K and have to live entirely on our ISAs.

Am I able to make a claim for a Tax Refund?



Lori white - Friday, February 24th, 2012

do refunds go out in alphabetical order?

Ambz - Monday, February 27th, 2012

Hi i was on Jobseekers allowance for 18 months and have now started working again. Do I need to pay tax? As I was told that I do not need to pay tax from my salary until the new tax year starts. Please advise??


Mark - Monday, February 27th, 2012

Ive not worked (so not paid tax) for three years as I went into full time education during this time. I’ve now finished education and have applied for JSA. At first I was told I was entitled but have now been told I’m not since I’ve not paid tax for the past two years. Is this right? Ps. my partner pays tax.

T. Johnson - Thursday, March 1st, 2012

I was made redundant in September 2007 and used approx £2,000 of my redundancy payment to re-train as a LGV driver. I have been told that I might be able to claim some of the tax back from the cost of the training?? If true, how?

cat - Sunday, March 4th, 2012

I have recently returned to work after claiming jobseekers allowance.
I am not earning full time, only part time hours.
In my first pay I received tax refund which increased the amount of net pay. Will this affect my housing benefit/council tax benefit, or is this calculated on the gross pay figure.

K K - Sunday, March 4th, 2012

I was made redundant while on maternity leave in 2010, was paid my redundancy money, I will be leaving the uk in the summer. Am i entitled to anything when i leave?

Barbara Ann Garcia - Monday, March 19th, 2012

I was made redundant August 31st 2011. My redundancy pay was taxed, I have proof of this but apparently my P45 went missing in the post. I started employment with Accord Office Supplies on 24th October 2011. I appreciate I was very fortunate in the current employment climate to find a suitable position but have been advised I may be eligible for a tax rebate during the period between 31st August and 24th October period. I did not claim any kind of financial support from the government during this time but used the redundancy money to support myself.

Many thanks for your patience and I look forward to your kind response.

Carley Price - Monday, March 19th, 2012

I got made redundant in 2010 and have been looking for work ever since, i got a tax rebate last year so will i get it this year????

heather - Tuesday, April 17th, 2012

Am I entitled to a tax rebate I was made redundant from my job in december i worked there 13 years .

mart - Sunday, August 26th, 2012

Worked for same company for 13 years,sacked o march 20th 2012,cant get jsa,no sign of a new job for me,i have no income at all,can i claim tax rebate from any of the years i worked,i earned 30k a year? Thank you

Diane Hitchen - Thursday, September 6th, 2012

I was made redundanton Friday March 30th 2012. Since then I have claimed contribution based job seekers allowance of £142.00 per fortnight. I may be starting a job on Monday 10th September 2012. The first question is will I be able to claim a tax refund having been made redundant after working for 5 years prior to redundancy for the company I worked for? The second question is, will I get any tax free pay when/if I start this job on Monday? Kind regards…..Diane

Eddie  - Thursday, September 20th, 2012

I’ve been taxed at basic rate on my holiday pay and wages owed after being made redundant.the payments were made by the redundancy do I claim the tax back that I have overpaid?

Ewa - Monday, September 24th, 2012

Since 1st of March 2012 until 31st July 2012 I was on unpaid leave. I came back to work on the 1st August 2012 and for the last 2 months I am on a tax code where the taxes are not deducted.
Is it because of the tax allowance for 2013 ?

Thank you

Tammy Brooks - Monday, November 26th, 2012


A friend of mine has asked me this question can you please help…She recently started work again after being unemployed for several months she has been given a tax code 810L and she has been taxed on her wages straight away, my understandinfg is she has to earn £8,100 before she has to pay tax.

brian barker - Saturday, December 29th, 2012

i am on job seekers.Ihave recieved a small pension payment.Ihave a p45 and on page 2 of it it says send it to job centre if making a tax claim.Ihave filled in a p53 form.Where do i send it off to job centre or local tax office?

kane parsons - Monday, March 25th, 2013

hi during this tax yeay i have worked from august till febuary 15 in total i earned £8750 and paided £855 tax i have signed on jsa for 4 weeks and my claim date ends on 1st april 2013 will i get a tax rebate and who will pay it to me ? thanks

TaxFix - Tuesday, March 26th, 2013

kane parsons: How much did you receive in JSA? If you add this to your income and then input into our tax calculator here. HMRC will pay you any tax refund due.

Sam - Monday, April 8th, 2013

I broke my foot last summer and claimed ESA, which is taxable, but is it taxed as I get it? Do I get 20% of what I recived from that Benifit? It says taxable pay £££ but the tax paid section is empty (p45) any help would be appreciated as I have tried to phone hmrc but they are always busy and have no option to hold (stupid!)

edward - Friday, May 24th, 2013

hi, i am due to finish work end of may 2013 due to serious ill health, am not claiming anything yet, can i claim a tax rebate, if yes how do i go about it,

edski - Wednesday, May 29th, 2013

hi, ive just finished work because of a serious illness, is it possible to claim a rebate and how do i go about it, any help is much appreciated, thanks

TaxFix - Friday, June 28th, 2013

edski: It depends on how much you have earned and how much you have paid in tax. You can check to see if you are due a tax rebate using our tax calculator here:

TaxFix - Friday, June 28th, 2013

edward: The amount you can claim back depends on how much you have earned, including any benefits and the amount that you paid in tax. You can check using our calculator here.