Tax Articles

Tax Rebate Forms

Tax Rebate Calculator

Income Tax Calculator

How To Get A Copy Of Your P60

One of the most important tax forms that you will need is your P60.  Your P60 summarises your pay and the tax that you have paid in a particular tax year.

Our guide looks at what your P60 is for, when you should receive one and how to get a copy of your P60.

What is your P60 and when do you receive it?

Your P60 is a form which shows your total earnings from a job or pension in the previous tax year.  It also shows how much tax you have paid.  If you have several jobs or pensions then you should receive a P60 for each of them.

You should receive a P60 at the end of every tax year – usually around April or May.  You are entitled by law to receive a P60 from your employer if you are still working for them at the 5th April.  Ask your employer to provide you with a P60 if you haven’t received one.

What you need your P60 for

There are various reasons that you may need a P60:

  • To apply or renew tax credits
  • To claim a tax rebate
  • To complete your self assessment tax return

Many banks and building societies also request your P60 when deciding whether to agree a loan or mortgage application.

Paper and electronic P60s

From the 2010/11 tax year your employers can provide your P60 on paper or electronically.  You will have to give your consent to your employer to receive an electronic version as you must have the ability to securely view and print a copy.

Getting a copy of your P60

If you have lost your P60, you should first approach your employer to ask them if they can provide you with a copy.

Employers are obliged to keep records of pay for three years and so they should be able to provide you with a copy of your P60 for the last three years.  The P60 will be clearly marked as ‘duplicate’.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) cannot provide a duplicate of your P60.

If you need a copy of your P60 from more than three years ago, it is unlikely that you will be able to get one.  Your employer may be able to provide you with a ‘statement of earnings’ on company headed paper which should act as a replacement for a P60.

Alternatively, you should contact your Tax Office.  Your tax office will be able to provide you with alternative, official information regarding the amount of tax that you paid.

Clare James - Wednesday, September 14th, 2011

My son has left for a new job in Greece. He has never worked before and they have asked him for a P60 which he has not got. I need to sort it out for him from here, so how do I get his P60?

Mrs Elizabeth Cust - Tuesday, October 4th, 2011

I require a copy of my 2010 2011 P60 to enable me to complete my tax return. How do I obtain one?

arnold keith gilchrist - Wednesday, October 19th, 2011

i left the company on the 1st of april 2011, i recieved my p45 but not my p60, the company has gone into liquidation, how can i get my p60

Mr Andrej Cholodov - Thursday, November 10th, 2011

Hi there,

I finished my last job in February 2011 so I didn’t work by the end of tax year. My employer said that they can’t provide P60 for me because of that.

How can I get my P60 form?

Reda - Saturday, January 7th, 2012

I stop working in feburary2011 they send me only p45 please about my 60 if I have right the give me one thank u

Ann Lancashire - Monday, April 30th, 2012

Do I have to give a P60 to a person who has left the company or will I retain one for company files.

zoie - Thursday, May 24th, 2012

how do i get a p60 from last year has i have lost mine copy

Laura  - Tuesday, May 29th, 2012

i am working in a recruitment agency and have received a p60 but its only stating my earnings from this employment, will i receive an additional p60 in order to complete my tax credits claim form.


gary webb  - Wednesday, July 4th, 2012

I need a copie of my p60 from 2010 2011 for my son to get help with university fees how do i get one

Michael ruddy  - Thursday, August 9th, 2012

Need a p60 for visa Australia but I have not worked in Ireland for about 3 years , can I still get one from when I did work

P60 for 2010-2011 - Tuesday, August 14th, 2012

Can I get a copy of my P 60 from 2010 2011 please as I can’t find it

Michael. - Friday, August 24th, 2012

I was lay off at my last permanent job on the 18th of june 2011. So i had the last P60 in the same year april 2011. But since then i have only managed to do casual jobs in different place for a week,a month or so .So this employers only give me a P45 since am not working permanently with them .So how do i get my P60 for 2012,as my wife and daughter need it for funding….help please!

lily - Friday, August 24th, 2012

Hello !
If I worked from November to June for example. Does my employer have to give me a P60 ?
Thank you

Kim - Monday, September 10th, 2012

I left my last job in 2005 yet I’ve just recieved a letter asking for my p60 for the tax year ending April 2011 so I don’t actually have my p60 anymore, nor do I pay tax as I’m currently not working and haven’t done since 2005, is this an error or do I somehow have to get a p60?

emila - Wednesday, September 19th, 2012

and if the employer does not want to give me a copy of P60 believes that this is possible noe what am I supposed to do in this situation if you desperately need P60

sarah - Saturday, September 22nd, 2012

hi i was wondering how do i get a copy of my p60 from 2010/2011 and 2011/2012 as i’ve asked my empolyer and they can’t give me another one as they have printed one out for me before and i need my p60 with my new address on as my employer had got it wrong.

f sheikh - Tuesday, October 16th, 2012

i have pay slip to my job,where i m working,but i m not sure where is my p60 is gone.lost or not given to me,so i m asked to my personal department and manger told me i cant find for you.on my request she said you are not in our record.i laft job i end of can hmrc know how much im earning on these period.thank

helen - Thursday, December 6th, 2012

how do i get my p60 job went into liqudation and cant contact pre employers

j burns - Sunday, December 16th, 2012

i never get spay slip from my employer i have waited overa year to get them also i haven’t had my p60 this year i keep arising but still I’m still wating for it

TaxFix - Friday, December 21st, 2012

j burns: You can write to your employer and ask for a statement of earning. This can be used as a replacement to a P60.

Danielle - Thursday, January 17th, 2013

I have just asked my employer for my 2012 p60 and he said that he hasnt got one that I need to request one on the internet. well i’ve read on your webiste that my employer should have asked permission so I can print off my p60 on a secure website but he hasnt done so I now have no record of my p60 for last year which I need to apply for a mortgage.. Please help

Mrs C Kingham - Thursday, March 21st, 2013

I need a copy of my P60 for the tax year up to 5th April 2012 could you tell me if this has been issued yet?

P-60 - Monday, April 15th, 2013

I was made redundant in 9/2012. I am American and have to report foreign earnings, even though I earned so little, I will not owe. I have nothing except my P-45 to prove my wages for 2012. When I asked about it, my former employer told me that unless I was working in April of the UK tax year, I do not get a P-60. Is this correct? Can I file USA taxes using the P-45 only as my proof of income?

mlindon - Thursday, April 18th, 2013

i need to get my p60 for 2011-2012 for proof of income to send for my sons student finance application . i only have a p45 from my last employer i did not recieve a p60. how can i get hold of it?

TaxFix - Tuesday, April 23rd, 2013

A P60 is only given if you were working at the end of the tax year, which you might not have been. If this is not good enough for the student finance application, you can ask your employer to provide a statement of earnings which can be used as a replacement for a P60 or P45.

TaxFix - Tuesday, April 23rd, 2013

Yes it is true you would only be given a P60 if you were working in April.

Nicole - Friday, April 26th, 2013

I received a letter back in March saying my tax code had been changed and that any refund I was owed would be paid by cheque. On the actual tax code notice it said that if I was duea repayment I would get it in my next pay. Which is correct?

When I get a P60 do I still have to apply for a refund or will this be done automatically?



karen lesley mitchell - Saturday, April 27th, 2013

i have not been given my p60 yet by my employer i need it to send of for my driving leicence can you help me thank you

TaxFix - Thursday, May 2nd, 2013

Nicole: You can check to see if the payment has been made, and then use your P60 and this information to check if you have paid the correct amount of tax. If you have overpaid you can make a claim.

vicky fin - Saturday, May 4th, 2013

can you help my son has never been given a p60 or payline my son has asked his employer on a daily bases can I buy a copy

TaxFix - Saturday, May 4th, 2013

vicky fin: Can he try putting a request in writing to his employer? What does he need the P60 for? If it is to claim a tax rebate he could ask for a statement of earnings which can be used as a replacement.

bob caracciolo - Wednesday, May 15th, 2013

I need to know when I am supposed to be given my p60 , and what is the latest date I can expect it by ?

sadia - Friday, May 17th, 2013

hi, i started work 17 november 2012. do i get a p60

TaxFix - Friday, May 24th, 2013

sadia: If you were working on the last day of the tax year (April 5th) then you should. If you were not you should have been given a P45 instead.

TaxFix - Friday, May 24th, 2013

bob caracciolo: You should be given your P60 before the 1st June.

LINDEN HURRELL - Saturday, June 8th, 2013

How do I know if my boss is paying my tax as I have received no pay slips or p 60 for at least 6 months.

Jade - Wednesday, July 10th, 2013

I was on maternity level in 2011-2012 and my p60 was sent to the wrong address, and I need to to be able to renew my tax credits. How would I be able to get it?

Amy  - Monday, July 15th, 2013

hello I need to get hold of a p45 from 2010-2011 how would I go about getting hold of this letter.

TaxFix - Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013

Amy: You can write to the company that you were employed at, at the time and ask them to provide a statement of earnings, which can be used as a replacement for a P60.

TaxFix - Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013

Jade: As your employer at the time, to send you a statement of earnings on company headed paper. This can be used as a replacement.

Mr Jeff - Sunday, July 28th, 2013

I finished my last job in February 2011 so I didn’t work by the end of tax year. I only have P45.

How can I get my P60 form?

TaxFix - Monday, July 29th, 2013

Mr Jeff: As you were not working on the last day of the tax year (April 5th) you would not have been given a P60. In this case your P45 is sufficient to claim your tax rebate.