Tax Articles

Tax Rebate Forms

Tax Rebate Calculator

Income Tax Calculator

How to Claim a Tax Rebate on Business Mileage

Hundreds of thousands of people use their own car for work and many do not know that it is often possible to claim tax back on the mileage driven. We answer a number of questions below on this subject:

Am I eligible to claim a tax refund on my business mileage/petrol?
It depends on your situation. If you are using your employer’s car then you will not be able to, but if you are using your own vehicle then there is a good chance that you can.

How much tax can I claim back?
A tax rebate on business mileage is calculated at 40 pence for the first 10,000 miles and 25 pence on any miles after, minus any compensation that you might receive from your employer for using your own car. So for example if you travel 25,000 miles a year, you would be entitled to tax relief of:

(10,000 x £0.40) + (15,000 x £0.25) = £7,750

What if my employer has paid me for using my own car?
Then this amount is then deducted from the tax relief. So in the above example, if you employer has paid you compensation of £2,500, you then have a relief of £5,250.

How do I calculate my tax refund?
Take your tax relief figure, which you have calculated above and then multiple it by your marginal rate of tax. If you are a basic tax rate payer, like most people are, this will be 20%. Therefore in the above example you will be due tax back on business mileage of:

£5,250 x 20% =£1,050

How do I claim my tax refund on mileage?
If you are self employed, you could simply include the above figures in your accounts. Alternatively you can make a claim with the Inland Revenue or apply by submitting a tax return .


The above is not advise and can not be taken as it. Tax Fix can not be held responsible for anything written. We advise you seek professional help for commencing any tax work yourself.

brian - Monday, May 17th, 2010

i have to travel 50miles round tripe to place of work in my own car can i claim tax on petrol cost

mike - Thursday, May 27th, 2010

Im a trainee brickie and travel to different sites by public transport mainly busses. I get no help from my employer, can i claim my bus fares back ,any help appreciated

TaxFix - Thursday, May 27th, 2010

Mike: Do you travel direct from your home to your place of work or do you go to your work HQ and then go to the site by public transport?

Anonymous - Tuesday, June 1st, 2010

I am a carer and work on the community looking after the elderly and use my own car for work but dont recieve any petrol allowances at all can i claim anything back?

TaxFix - Tuesday, June 1st, 2010

Anonymous: Yes, you can claim up to 40 pence per mile

Anonymous - Friday, June 4th, 2010

I am commencing new job where I have been given car allowance as monthly payment in addition to salary. I am unsure what the correct mileage recharge should be. Company tells me it is HRMC rate as maximum. If this is correct do I deduct the annual allowance and the 16p per mile to calculate tax saving?

Mark Dryden - Sunday, June 6th, 2010

I am having a lot of trouble with the new law which states that the p87 claim doesn’t necessarily mean that all tax on unpaid mileage is refunded. This is due to the “triangular rules” which involves temporary workplace. As a peripatetic tutor my employer has decided I can no longer claim for tax relief on my unclaimed mileage as I technically have a temporary workplace. I actually have a base from which I claim mileage. My question is: How come a base is a temporary workplace and why can’t I claim tax relief on the mileage from home to base and vice versa?


Mark Dryden

TaxFix - Monday, June 7th, 2010

Anonymous: Are you given a company car allowance or are you being given a mileage allowance? Normally if you are given a company car allowance, this will be reflected in a change to your tax code. If you are using your car for work and your employer is giving you a mileage allowance, you may be able to claim more. This article may be helpful.

Craig - Tuesday, June 8th, 2010

I am required to travel 40 miles between sites and my employers will not pay expenses unless I am insured for business use. is this reasonable and in any event can i reclaim the mileage through a tax rebate

TaxFix - Wednesday, June 9th, 2010

Craig: Yes, you can claim a tax allowance of 40 pence for the first 10,000 miles and 25 pence for each mile after 10,000 per tax year. If you need help claiming your tax allowance you can apply on your tax return.

Ian - Thursday, June 10th, 2010

My employer pays me 40p per mile for using my car for work HOWEVER I lose 8 miles per day as it is my ‘home to base’ deduction – which they enforce every day even if I go nowhere near the base…. Can I claim for that loss? Also, am I entitled to anything on the mileage I do get? Finally, will my tax code be altered meaning any future mileage will be accounted for in my tax rate?!

TaxFix - Thursday, June 10th, 2010

Ian: Unfortunately 40 pence is the maximum your can claim for mileage allowance from the Inland Revenue. If your employer already pays you 40 pence, there will be not extra to claim.

Anon - Thursday, June 10th, 2010

As I’m self emloyed I know I can claim back petrol costs for businees use. How do I calaculate a reasonable % for personal/business use?

Ian - Thursday, June 10th, 2010

Can I claim for the 8 miles per day which they don’t pay me? That being to a ‘base’ that I never go to because it doesn’t exist!

TaxFix - Saturday, June 12th, 2010

Anon: You can claim 40 pence per mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25 pence for any miles after that. You can see the rates here.

TaxFix - Saturday, June 12th, 2010

Ian: You can claim for business mileage that isn’t between your home and place of work.

Lillian - Saturday, June 19th, 2010

I am a carer but i have to buy a bus pass every month to travel to my clients, can i claim this back through tax because I don’t receive anything from my boss, he refueses to pay it.

Anonymous - Friday, July 2nd, 2010

Most of these comments should be ignored.

Claiming mileage as a business expense requires certain conditions to be met.

Most of the time just travelling to your place of work using you own vehicle will NOT entitle you to tax relief.

I advise that you should seek advise from your accountants – not from this site

TaxFix - Friday, July 2nd, 2010

Anonymous: I agree. In replies to the comments we have mentioned as you note, that ‘travelling to your place of work using you own vehicle will NOT entitle you to tax relief.’ If we have said differently please let us know.

Adam Rollins - Monday, July 5th, 2010

Part of the issue about claiming tax is the ability to account for business and private mileage. Look at for a fully on-line system that will sort this out. Very useful for companies to adopt. Saves them paying full Authorised Mileage Rate (AMR) for drivers’ own cars, or having to pay Authorised Fuel Rates (AFR) for company vehicle fuel. Also helps sort out the Benefit in Kind tax issues on fuel.

sheila  - Thursday, July 8th, 2010

i am a volunteer driver and have to include business insurance on my insurance policy, like to know can i claim tax back on this and i get for mileage can i claim tax for petrol usage.

ANON - Wednesday, July 14th, 2010

I’ve recently started work as a carer driving to peoples’ homes and my employer gives 18p per mile allowance, excluding the first and last 10 miles per day. I have spent hundreds of pounds already on petrol. Can i claim?

Anonymous - Saturday, July 17th, 2010

I’m a care worker and have to go on alot of training so the company I work for pay 35p a mile this is then paid with my wages which I’m then taxed on when I have already paid tax on my fuel so I end up paying more tax and bring home less monie also if you use public transport you can claim a refund but again they tax on this I just wanted to know if this is right .. Thanks anybody angela :)

mcgb - Saturday, July 31st, 2010

I drive my own diesel car for my work.
I get an allowance of 6p per mile for the mileage.
I get £233 per month as an allowance for use of my own vehicle.
I have to get my car serviced more freguently.
I cover a lot of rough lane etc & I do not get an allowance for tyres
Can I claim anything for the servicing & tyres?
Thank you.

TaxFix - Sunday, August 1st, 2010

mcgb: If your employer pays you 6 pence you can claim an additional relief from the Inland Revenue at the rate of 40 pence for the first 10,000 miles and 25 pence for any additional miles (minus the amount your employer pays you)

self employed sparky - Thursday, August 5th, 2010

I am self employed. I have figured out from my work diary that I did about 7500 miles driving to and from jobs last year. I sub contract to the main electrician each week. He deducts 20% tax and gives me the voucher / utr tax info each month. I do not receive any petrol money from him for my travel to these jobs. If i know what my gross earnings are and i know what my tools expences are and also total miles at 40p. Can i calculate roughly how much of a rebate i might get. Could you advise? My return is very simple. Tools, milage and thats the lot. Hope you can help.

anonymous - Friday, August 6th, 2010

I’ve been offered a new job but need to travel by train to get to work. this will cost me £160 a week, can i claim this back as a PAYE worker?

TaxFix - Friday, August 6th, 2010

self employed sparky: If you are self employed, we can help with your self assessment tax return. By completing a tax return you can claim any expenses that were relevant for your job. You can read more and apply here.

TaxFix - Friday, August 6th, 2010

anonymous: No, the Inland Revenue do not allow you to claim transport costs from your home to your place of work.

trevor p - Tuesday, August 10th, 2010

how years ‘back dated’ tax relief for travelling to work expences can I claim

TaxFix - Wednesday, August 11th, 2010

trevor p: The deadlines for tax rebates and tax returns can be veiwed here.

Ian W - Tuesday, August 17th, 2010

I am a site manager working on a building site the length of time i am on a site can range from 6 months to 18 months. Are the miles i travel to site classed as business miles as it is not a fixed place of work?

tom - Thursday, August 19th, 2010

I get £6850 car allowance and a diesel card for fuel. I pay my company 16p per mile for my personal mileage (set govt rate for my size engine). I do around 30k miles/year. Can I claim anything back?

Mr G - Monday, August 30th, 2010

My Employer is paying me 40p a mile expenses, I will be using my own car, are my expenses taxable

Tom - Friday, September 3rd, 2010

I get paid by my company 40p for first 10,000 and 25p thereafter. I estimate that i am going to do 50,000 miles a year. will i be able to claim anything back from the govt?

Carer - Thursday, September 9th, 2010

I work as a care worker, but as I am a student I am not paying tax as I am earning under the yearly allowance due to only work in the holidays.
However, I am doing over 300miles a week (less the travel to and from my first and last house). Am i eligable to claim back my petrol as the company pays no allowance for this what so ever but informed me I would be able to claim it back?

please help me! - Sunday, September 12th, 2010

I get £6850 car allowance and a diesel card for fuel. I pay my company 16p per mile for my personal mileage (set govt rate for my size engine). I do around 30k miles/year. Can I claim anything back?

TaxFix - Monday, September 20th, 2010

Tom: 40 pence is the maximum amount per mile you can claim for the first 10,000 miles and then 25 pence for each additional mile.

Mark I - Thursday, September 23rd, 2010

Hi i receive an allowance for using my car to get from home to work which works out at 22p per mile, am i entitled to claim back or is it only if i travel away from my work hq on business?

rachel  - Tuesday, September 28th, 2010

I have to pay for car parking fees and tunnel fees out of my own pocket and claim it through travel but am geting taxed on this. So am not getting what i have paid out and am losing money can i claim this back

Damon - Friday, October 1st, 2010

I work for a corporate company and use my own car for business use. However, my emplyer only lets me claim 35p per mile; how do I claim the further 5p per mile which is statute?
Your help would be appreicated.
Damon C

Gary Duncan - Monday, October 4th, 2010

Milage allowance has been 40p/mile for over 10 years now and the cost of motoring has increased greatly, so why hasn’t Government increased this rate?

simon - Tuesday, October 5th, 2010

i am a temp paye worker working for an agency, i work at heathrow airport and sometimes at gatwick, i go directley to work using my own car and petrol, can i claim for the milege.

alan - Thursday, October 7th, 2010

my boss is paying me 20p a mile for my fuel in my own van ,but when i put my invoice in he is taking 20%tax the total, is this right

julie gale - Saturday, October 9th, 2010

hello, i recently started a job as a support worker. i have to travel by bus and have been told i am not eligable to claim for expenses for travelling to and from a client, only for when i am on an actvity with a client.Does this still apply if i have to travel to more than one client per day?
also if i have two or three clients in one day,for example, one for three hours and one for four hours, is it counted as 8 hours if the other hour is spent travelling to get there, or are they seperate?

Paul Knight - Sunday, October 17th, 2010

annually I exceed the 10.000 mile allowance of 40p and for 4 months of the year rely on the woefully inadequate 25p rate. is it possible to reclaim the 15p differance on mileage above 10.000?

TaxFix - Monday, October 18th, 2010

Paul Knight: The allowance is only 25 pence for mileage above 10,000.

minkeymag - Tuesday, October 19th, 2010

Hi There, I can either get a company car or a car allowance from my employer. I took the car allowance which is c.

William Clark - Saturday, November 6th, 2010

I use my own car for work, I’m a support worker and need to use my car to get to and from peoples homes. I get 40p per mile from my employer, my mileage can add up to 6000 miles per year. Can I claim tax for the diesel I buy over and above what I get from my employer??

TaxFix - Monday, November 8th, 2010

William Clark: 40 pence per mile is the maximum you can claim.

luke dawnay  - Thursday, November 11th, 2010

can you claim tax back on private school buses ?

lisa  - Monday, November 15th, 2010

am a carer an travel on public transport to work cud i claim tax back

David - Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010

I use to drive my car for work going from school to school and only recieved 30p a mile, as i am entilted to that extra 10p per mile how do i go about making my claim?

Tom - Wednesday, November 24th, 2010

I am a trainee accountant, it is 10miles to my office where the only work I do is occasional hot desking. My main work is out at clients premises. If a client is 20miles away, I get paid for 10 miles at 40p per mile. Can I claim the other 10, as this was actually part of travelling to my place of work?

trev p - Wednesday, November 24th, 2010

as I pay 20% tax ,is the formula for working my tax rebate 8 pence a mile, don,t seem much.

Carl - Thursday, December 2nd, 2010

I often drive to a temporary place of work (22 miles round trip), which is shorter than to my permanent base (36 miles round trip). I do not receive any mileage payments from my employer. Can I claim tax relief for this? If so, how do I go about it?

angie - Tuesday, December 7th, 2010

i am a carer of the elderly and travel to my clients can i claim the cost of my bus pass back

Jess - Wednesday, December 15th, 2010

Hi, I am a carer and travel to peoples homes, i have never done this before so not sure about things, my company pay me 32p a mile so can i claim a further 8p per mile?

Loz - Saturday, December 18th, 2010

I am registered Self Employed (not through choice but because it is easier for my employer)I have put my home address as my business address on my tax return. I provide Administration service to my employer, using their equipment to carry out my duties in their office. In order to get to work, I also had to buy a car as work address is impossible to get to on public transport. I am employed for 22.5 hours a week and do this over 3 days. Working days are not set, they can change depending on what tasks are needing doing and also when I am available – both parties flexible most of the time. So my question is – can I claim mileage of 40p per mile on my tax return and should I note where I work as my business address – if I do, will tax man ask questions??? (don’t want to get anyone in trouble – enjoy my job very much)

Natalie - Monday, January 3rd, 2011

I’m a carer for my mother in law which i take her out to go shopping etc am i able to claim tax back for my petrol?

many thanks


Tim - Wednesday, January 5th, 2011


I receive an annual car allowance of £4,500 from my employer. This allowance is added to my annual salary and PAYE deductions are taken from it (Income Tax and NI).

I am paid 22p per mile and calculated my annual shortfall in 2008 as approx £3k, 2009 as approx £4.2k and 2010 as approx £4.5k.

Would the £4,500 car allowance be deducted from what I can claim considering that I already pay tax on that?



donavon  - Thursday, January 6th, 2011

i clean pools , 3$ a pool is added on to my check with no taxes taken out of this, can i right of my milige , i drive my own truck

alan glover - Saturday, January 8th, 2011

what is the tax refund calculation for a 40% paye tax payer?

andy ford - Sunday, January 9th, 2011

if i register as self employed and take some work on that involves traveling 220 miles a day in my own car, can i claim the fuel cost against my tax charges?

mrs susan smith - Saturday, January 22nd, 2011

I work for a company and use my own car, they pay me £0.35 ppm , I have noted that they should be paying me 0.40ppm is this correct, as they say I cannot claim anymore.
Also I take another lady around with me as I am a cleaner , do I get 0.05ppm for her too? As this is not being paid to me.

nicola - Saturday, January 22nd, 2011

i use public transport for my work, my employer re inbursts travel expenses. however it is added to my salary then is taxed the usual 20%, can i claim this tax pack and if so how?

Ronan - Saturday, January 22nd, 2011

im an engineer working in glasgow but living in edinburgh. when i was takin on it was on the basis that i would be moving from job to job, i did not relocate as two jobs in edinburgh have been in the pipeline but have been delayed up until now. so as it stands i travel 80 miles roundtrip to glasgow daily using public transport for the past 8 months, from home to site, i dont have an office HQ or otherwise as our “work HQ” moves from site to site as we start and finish jobs. i am due to start work with the same company in edinburgh in the next two months but my question is : as a PAYE employee, am i entitled to a tax refund for travelling to and from a “temporary workplace” using public transport?

Michael McCarthy - Thursday, January 27th, 2011

I understand that I can claim 40p per mile for the first 10000, however do you get anything extra for taking other employees with me to jobs I’m working on????

TaxFix - Friday, January 28th, 2011

Ronan: You can claim tax relief for travelling to and from a “temporary workplace” using public transport as outlined here. There are a number of statutory tests that can be viewed here to determine if a place of work is indeed temporary.

TaxFix - Friday, January 28th, 2011

mrs susan smith: You can any extra tax relief tax relief from HMRC.

Alan Fordham - Friday, January 28th, 2011

I used a company car for 5 years up until 2009 when the company went into liquidation, I paid for the petrol myself for the mileage done during work and claimed back 16 pence per mile from the company. would I be entitled to claim any tax relief on this.
I am now self employed.

Wendy Cutts - Saturday, January 29th, 2011

My employer provides a company car and reimburses business mileage at 15 per mile, which does not cover the current price of petrol. My car is a Renault Megane 1.4.I have b een told that I can claim back the difference. Please advise.

Many thanks

TaxFix - Tuesday, February 1st, 2011

Wendy Cutts: Yes, you can claim the difference between what your company pays and the 40 pence tax relief (on the first 10,000 miles)

Pat Turvey - Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011

Can you claim for the last tax year 2009/10?

Many thanks

john  - Thursday, February 3rd, 2011

i use my car for community caring my employer pays me 30 per mile can i claim the extra 10p a mile back on my petrol allowance

Ashley - Saturday, February 5th, 2011

My company pays me 25p per mile for using my own car on business use. Can they do that by law beating in mind it is 40p per mile for the first 10000 miles.

I also travel 76 miles a day for travelling to work 5 days a week. Am I entitled to any tax relief?

FLDKJFJ - Monday, February 7th, 2011

whats the minimum i can claim from my employer for mileage using my own car for company business.
we currently get 22p per mile.

pat - Tuesday, February 8th, 2011

Question i am employed as a suport worker and i do not pay tax i use my own car for my work ido about 300 miles a week can i claim back the millege i use

a.measey - Wednesday, February 9th, 2011

company moving to a new depot what means an extra 1000 miles a month round trip am i allowed to claim from company or a tax rebate please note my own car is not a company car

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 9th, 2011

FLDKJFJ: There is no minimum you can claim from your employer, you can claim 40 pence tax relief for the first 10,000 from HMRC and 25 pence for each additional mile.

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 9th, 2011

Ashley: You can claim the remainder from HMRC as a tax relief.

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 9th, 2011

john: Yes you can claim the extra 10 pence for the first 10,000 miles as tax relief from HMRC

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 9th, 2011

Pat Turvey: Yes you can make a claim for 2009/2010 now.

Steve - Wednesday, February 9th, 2011

Some years ago I used to be paid at the 40p and 25p rates mentioned but I could also claim back additional tax because my car was over 2 litres. At the moment I qown a 2.2 litre diesel. Can I still do this and if so what would be the calculation?

Elaine D - Thursday, February 10th, 2011

How many years mileage can I claim back for?

keith roberts - Thursday, February 10th, 2011

i use my own car for delivering for a local pharmacy, my employer pays me 32p per mile for fuel and wear and tear.can i claim the other 8p per mile from inland revenue and should i be paying tax on my expenses. thank you.

alan - Sunday, February 13th, 2011

i only have a base not a normal place of work but i hardly ever go to base i go to a different site daily from home can i claim business mileage from home?? on my private vehicle

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 16th, 2011

Elaine D: The deadlines for claiming tax relief are listed here.

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 16th, 2011

keith roberts: yes you can claim the other 8 pence on the first 10,000 miles.

kevin - Saturday, February 19th, 2011

i’m employed but have to surply my own workwear and tools and have to travel 60 miles roundtrip to get to work can i claim for these extra costs?

Jane Macnamara - Sunday, February 20th, 2011

If i am employed and my employer does not pay anything towards my millage am i entitled to claim a refund on my millage

Shirley - Thursday, February 24th, 2011

I was told that I can claim back the difference of 15p per mile when I go over the limit to receive 40p, ie I have now done over 10000 miles so go down to 25p until April 5th. Can I claim back the 15p per mile on my tax form?

carer cheshire - Saturday, February 26th, 2011

I work in the community,i work mornings, afternoons and some evenings,when i finish a run i go home until my next run is due, am i allowed to claim mileage for going home between jobs, i know i don,t claim from home to first job or last but what about the inbetweens, our office is miles away so home is my base.Would appreciate your comment.

jules - Tuesday, March 1st, 2011

i work in local council and pay part of the lease on the vehicle i drive. I get 10p a mile for work mileage, can i claim the difference between what i recieve and the recomended minimum fuel allowance, which was and ? is still 12p?

Ceri - Saturday, March 12th, 2011

If they pay me 15p a mile and I do 40,000 miles p.a. then this means I can claim 40% tax back on £6000. If they pay me a £6000 car allowance does this have to be set against this figure?

Joyce  - Sunday, March 13th, 2011

I am employed. I used a work’s van but I have to pay for diesel. It costs me about £50 a week. Can I claim any of this money back?

sharon - Tuesday, March 15th, 2011

hi ive recently been transfered from where i used to work but means that i have to travel 110 miles per week i dont get any allowance from my employer i work in a nusing home am i entitled to a rebate on my petrol

Sean - Sunday, March 20th, 2011

I work for a corporate company and use my own car for business use. However, my emplyer only lets me claim 35p per mile; how do I claim the further 5p per mile which is statute?
Your help would be appreicated.


Sabre 1969 - Monday, March 21st, 2011

I’m going to start as a Sole Trader from 01/04/11.

The client that I have my first Contract with has agreed to pay me £0.40p per mile as expenses once I’ve invoice them each month. How does this affect my Tax position on this i.e. They pay me for the business miles and this is ok but do I then get hit with income tax on the payments they’ve made to me???

beverley - Monday, March 28th, 2011

I am a carer, but have to pay for my own petrol, can I claim my mileage back from the taxman, as my company don;t pay it

Fridge - Tuesday, April 5th, 2011

I have my own petrol car
I also have a fuel card from work
I get £5k per year car allowance
I pay for all of the running costs of the car including tax, mot, general wear and tear and servicing etc.

Can i claim anything back?

ion - Sunday, April 10th, 2011

obviously i cant claim for home to work but once i have completed my contracted hours and asked to cover more shifts can this mileage be claimed for?

shel - Wednesday, April 27th, 2011

im a carer and i have to provide my own lunch which i buy when were out with the man i care for and have to buy new clothes for work i am self employed can i claim any money back through my self employment?

Trevor Holmes - Thursday, May 5th, 2011

Can I claim back tax relief for fuel when using a company vehicle? I have to pay for my own fuel & then clain it back & only get 13p per mile.

Kev - Thursday, May 19th, 2011

hi there I had a company car for 5 and a half months form 20/10/08 to the 1/4/09. I only used it to go to a place of work and back home and not for privet use. I had my own car for that so should I be taxed on the company car?

Caz - Monday, May 23rd, 2011

I get 13p per mile and a car allowance for work. Can I claim for items such as new tyres?

Frank - Tuesday, May 31st, 2011

My current pays me 45p per mile but as I have done 1,800 this month alone I am concerned my milage allowance of 10,000 miles will run out in 6 months. As it will not be financially viable for me to run my old banger for 25p per mile would I be able to ask my employer for some form of bonus/compensation when I reach this distance or can I refuse to drive past 10,000 miles?

MaryT - Tuesday, June 7th, 2011

I’ve been told by my employer that I have to travel to another site on a rota basis and this other site is much further than my “base” and they have refused to pay for the extra mileage. They currently pay other members of staff (managers) for extra mileage they do traveling from home to the other site and I earn a lot less than they do. Can I demand that they pay me?

Gary - Tuesday, June 21st, 2011

do you get this tax relief / rebate on top of the 40p per mile paid by a employer.

Yann - Monday, June 27th, 2011

I am commencing a new job that is about 45 miles away from home (each way)

Am I eligible to claim for for tax relief / rebate?

Rob Snow - Monday, July 4th, 2011

I am aware that the first 10k miles each year are claimed at 45p per mile, this for me has been broken down in 833 miles per month at 45p then the rest at 25p. I am leaving this employment and wont be making any more mileage claims but this year up to when I leave I would have claimed 3332 miles at 45p, then have done an additional 5000 miles at 25p. As I would still be below the 10k miles allowed, can I put a claim in for the difference of 5000 miles at 20p and if so how can I do this? Through my current employment or at the end of the year?

Your help would be much appreciated

Kate - Wednesday, July 6th, 2011

I am a carer from 2009 january, and work on the community looking after the elderly and use my own car for work but dont recieve any petrol allowances at all.Last year i went 5.050 miles which is 5.050 X 0.40 = £ 2.020 but the tax office send me just £ 315.41 which is exactly same like my total income tax.But if i accept this, im not entitled to claiming back my business mileage.why they do this?

M Shah - Monday, July 18th, 2011

I want to start using my own car for company business mileage. What allowance can an employer pay for the contribution of buying a car.

Alan - Wednesday, July 20th, 2011

I currently get 13p per mile from my employer can you please tell me what I can claim back?

sue - Tuesday 26th July 2011 - Tuesday, July 26th, 2011

The car park I ususally park on are now going to charge for parking (this is private land) I work for the NHS and therefore we are usually exempt from such charges but as this is private land they say they will charge us. If our Health Centre paid the charges for the staff could they claim this money back on their expenses as a Company?

sue hedworth - Tuesday, August 9th, 2011

I rang tax office 8/8/11 and was told allowance had risen up to 45 p for first 10,000 as from April 2011!!!!

christina parkinson - Thursday, August 18th, 2011

I am a voulintere at the commision flats and have to use my car, sometimes to take people shopping , or visiting hospital or to appointments. can I clame for this. I am not in paid work.

susan fearon - Monday, August 29th, 2011

i am travelling forty five miles to university to do a degree.this degree is connected to the job i do, can i claim any tax rebate?

paul - Monday, August 29th, 2011

The company i work for charge me £30 a day to use there van, plus i have to pay for my own fuel it cost me £1200 pcm just to go to work, i use my own car to get to work and back 20 miles each way, i have no help in paying this what so ever. and i dont no what i am entitle to claim back, can anybody please help, Thanks……

Gavin. - Thursday, September 8th, 2011

as part of my salary i have a benefit allowance which i’ve used to obtain a car through my place of work. I’ve done 14k worth of miles since november last year. the first 4 months was in my own car. Since then i’ve been using my own car obtained from the company benefits scheme. My employers only pay me 25pence per mile. Can i claim the rest back. I do not have a fuel card.

nick Parkinson - Friday, September 9th, 2011

1 staff member uses her car to pick up and drop off dogs to our business how much should she charge me

Ryan  - Wednesday, September 14th, 2011

I am a student and i have to travel 25 miles to collage 4 times per week can i claim travel expenses back?

Gemma - Thursday, September 15th, 2011

can you claim tax back on business mileage from home to work when working in a temporary construction site office?

Magdalena - Thursday, September 22nd, 2011

my company is moving to a different city and to get to work i will have to travel every day 20 miles each way. o get to work i will have to travel by bus therefore i will have to pay for a ticket from my wages. the company will not pay my travel expences however i find out that there is a chance i can claim travel expences. how can i claim travel expences for a bus fares????

Sean G - Friday, September 23rd, 2011

I travel to job sites all over the valley from my home. The jobs sites are never at the same place. Can I get the 40 cents per mile tax break? I use my personal vehical, and gas!

Jon - Wednesday, September 28th, 2011

I am paid 14k a year.
I used to drive 23 miles a day to and from work, now my employer is closing the business and making me drive 78miles to a new workplace and back each day, I don’t get a penny in fuel allowance.
Is this fair?

Lesley White - Saturday, October 1st, 2011

I have been recently redeployed to a different work place 40 miles away from my old workplace. I have been offered a rate of 22.5p per mile from home to my new permanent work place. I don’t feel this is enough as it doesn’t actually cover the additional travel costs. Can you help?

chris martin - Wednesday, October 12th, 2011

when claiming back mileage costs is it also possible to claim for car tax,insurance and maintenance etc whilst using the car for work purposes

Laurence - Thursday, October 13th, 2011

My wife is a Community Nurse. She drives 12 miles each way, to and from work. She is reimbursed by the NHS on mileage used on patient visits during her working day, but not on her journey to and from work.
My point of contention is that her car is an absolute requirement of her job, to carry her and the considerable amount of nursing supplies and equipment she is required to carry, on patient visits. Should the costs of getting this car and equipment to her place of work not be permitted to be offset against her tax?
I would appreciate your comments

Kevin Jones - Friday, October 14th, 2011

I head a group of parents who pay for a private bus contract to transport 30 children to a High School which is outside of the normal catchment area for the children. Can we the parents claim tax relief on the contributions we make each month for the school transport.
Note the school used to subsidise the cost of the trasport until the Welsh Assemply Government told them not to!! Democracy in action eh.

Shaun - Monday, October 17th, 2011

I don’t drive but am self employed, I have to travel up and down the uk by train or coach, can I claim back for my traveling?

Many Thanks

Dave - Monday, October 17th, 2011

I am self employed and travel to work on public transport mainly trains, i have kept all my train tickets. am i entitled to anything?

Rob King - Friday, October 21st, 2011

Dear Tax Fix, I work for a Euroean and international company. I’m paid in GBP and also taxed in UK. I have been given a car allowance of £750 gross. I do not get business miles paid for and this year I have done circa 14’000miles. Out of the £750 does this include business miles, personal and car rental; as I understand it should be calculated part of the £750 payment due to personal miles ie say £2000 personal petrol for the year and car rental….hope this makes sense…look forward to your answer.

jane - Wednesday, October 26th, 2011

How come employer claims mileage from office to first customer in his company cars, but will not allow anyone who drives there own car to claim to go to first client

hannahd - Wednesday, October 26th, 2011

I left my company in April this year, but I think i am entitled to claim on business milage from April 2010 as i had done the year previously. I do nothave the information anymore about the mileage… as i have left, am i entitiled to make the claim, and does my former employee have to supply the information required?

Jaysea - Friday, October 28th, 2011

i am compensated by my employer in lieu of a company car . i am paid a monthly income which is taxed at source , busines mileage is claimed at x amont of pence per mile as the nat average.
Am i able to claim costs for providing ie financing the vehicle , maintaining it and its devaluation ,ie anything related to my costs incurred .

toby11 - Tuesday, November 8th, 2011

i am a site manager,i get paid a car allowance am i entitled to a tax rebate as i am using my own car

samantha - Thursday, November 10th, 2011

Can you claim milage if you have to pay daily bus fairs to work?

CLAIRE JAMES - Thursday, November 10th, 2011

I have a company car, but not sure how much I am allowed to claim for per mile for work travel.

Seat Ibiza Cope Ecomotive 1.2l 3 door Diesel.

I am struggling to find this information anywhere.

I do not get any fuel covered, personal or otherwise.

Many thanks,


Matthew - Wednesday, November 16th, 2011

Hi Im self employed how much money can i get back from my train fares

Amber - Thursday, November 17th, 2011

I’ve been offered the chance to do some freelance work but it would mean travelling to an adjacent city to the one where I live and then write a report up at home. Its a flat rate of pay that I can’t negotiate on. I understand how mileage works for drivers but I’m really confused if non-drivers can claim travel expenses. Since I don’t drive it would mean using public transport.

Can I claim travel on my expenses, or do I need to
be prepared to write off the cost of travelling when considering what the net pay would be? Thanks

Rob - Friday, November 25th, 2011

Hi, I am paid £495.00(and taxed at source) a month for using my own vehicle for business mileage solely which I have a fuel card for.
Can I claim any tax relief for wear and tear?

peter - Saturday, December 3rd, 2011

Hi i am starting a new job with a Agency and have to travel from my home to a place of work witch could be from 120 mile or 400 mile round trip can i clam any think back like van lease or fuel cost before you say get a train i work on the railway and my job will be at night time

colin - Tuesday, December 6th, 2011

I am provided with a van from my company (this is a pool vehicle) can I claim for buisness mileage expenses.

sharron - Thursday, December 8th, 2011

i work in care and travel round the community in my own car do i need to save the petrol receipts to claim my allowance back also can i claim for the servicing on my car and new tyres i am doing around 500 miles per week

jcs85911 - Friday, December 9th, 2011

My company has no office on the job site I’m on . Can I deduct mileage this would be considered a temperary site

Stuart - Tuesday, December 13th, 2011

I have a car allowance of £5500 from my Company and also a mileage allowance of 20ppm.I claim tax rekief on my miles when away from my main office. can I claim any tax relief from the £5500 allowance as I pay tax on it and it pays for things like servicing tyres etc

Tom  - Thursday, December 15th, 2011


I am a self employed person and I work primarily with one sports team which is located about 8 miles from my residence, as part of this work i need to bring Files and personal sports clothing etc which I could not leave in the place of work – so I use my own small car to bring bits and pieces of equipment, sports clothing and Files.
Am I entitled as a self employed person to claim back motor expense such as depreciatin of car over 5 years plus petrol, car tax and insurance – albeit proportionate to the actual business mileage relative to total mileage for the year which would include personal mileage

Graham - Friday, December 16th, 2011

My employer pays me 25ppm. I understand the fuel tax rebate bit. But I also get £330pcm car allowance, how does this affect my tax rebate. I use my own personal vehicle.



angie - Monday, December 26th, 2011

i am a carer of the elderly and travel to work by public transport i have also been told i can claim cost of washing my uniform but not sure what else i can claim for

becky - Wednesday, December 28th, 2011

I have just been offered a job as a home carer. I will be doing mornings, afternoons and evening. My 1st call from home will be 20 miles away, would I be able to claim mileage to get to my first call

Shay - Saturday, December 31st, 2011

I take the train and iv kept all my passes could I claim those?

Clair - Wednesday, January 4th, 2012

Am I eligible to claim a tax refund on my business mileage/petrol from 2004 to 2009 if i havent done anything about it up until now?

Michael - Wednesday, January 4th, 2012

I am self employed and have a rented van. Can I claim tax relief at 40p a mile

Becky - Sunday, January 15th, 2012

Hi – Please can someone just confirm for me – My brother has his own van and is CIS (Self Employed)- He travels all over the UK for work and carrys a passenger – I am on the understanding afetr reading the goverments pages that he can claim 40pence per mile for the first 10,000 and 25pence per mile after that as well as an additional 5pence per mile for the passenger? Is this correct? Also is there a maximum as he can do upto 200 miles a day? Any help is appreciated …… Thanks :)

Colin - Monday, January 16th, 2012

Hi all. I have just started my own business and I use my own car for business use and keep records of how many miles I have done. So far I have done 1,646 Business miles. Does that mean I do the same calculations eg: 1646 x £0.40= £658.40 Is that what I can claim back?

Any help would be great. As I say I have just started a business and unsure in what can and cannot be claimed and would like to save as much money as possible in the first year of trading.


emily - Monday, January 16th, 2012

hi i have recently left my job and was travelling everyday to and from work in my own car without help from my employer am i entitled to any tax back i have been doing this for 6 years

geoff melville - Monday, January 16th, 2012

I have done 10,525 business miles in tax year 201-2011. MY employer paid me 17 per mile.
Am I right in thinking I could claim back 20% of the difference? ie 20% of £2342?

calculation as follows
miles allow £0.40 0.25
525 £0.17 £89.25 £131.25 £42.00
10000 £0.17 £1,700.00 £4,000.00 £2,300.00

If so how do I go about claiming this ?

Thank you

Jack - Tuesday, January 17th, 2012

I am planning on claiming tax relief for the mileage i am doing this tax year. Does the rebate come in form of a lump sum refunded to me direct or does it just affect what my tax code will be for the next year and get paid back a little bit every month?

richard payne - Sunday, January 22nd, 2012

Hi last year i bought a cheap diesel car for work “self employed builder” for £1,000, how do i try to claim some of this back in my tax return, i always get a good refund with no hassle, will trying to claim some back for car make my refund take longer

thank you

seb - Tuesday, January 24th, 2012

can i claim business mileage from home if the address i am going is only 4 miles away from my usual daily trip ?????

Rick - Wednesday, January 25th, 2012

Hi my question is I have been self employed for a good few years now but as the economy has dropped so have my earnings. So I got my self an employed role but I am using my own van but the company I am working for gave me a fuel card. In just over 3 months I have covered 25,000 miles I know the fuel is paid for but what about the wear and tear on my van. They give me 1 hour per day £11.00 for travel but as far as I am concerned that just covers the fact that I’m up and on the road an hour earlier. Is there some thing I’m missing can I claim for the mileage or just the maintenance as this is going to seriously affect the capital allowance from my books because my van is depreciating faster than it would normally.

Any advice would be good.

Jinnyward - Wednesday, January 25th, 2012

I work for an agency on a paye basis as a temporary employee – paid by each hour I work. I travel to different locations, some colleges, some people’s homes. Can i claim tax on my petrol costs?

jamie - Wednesday, January 25th, 2012

if iam self employed and have 24000 miles from 1year to next how do i claim

Phil Coles - Friday, January 27th, 2012

I travel 27,000 miles per year after my place of work was moved 60 miles away. Can I claim tax relief for that? Thanks.

Stephen Johns - Sunday, January 29th, 2012

Can i claim back my bus fare to and from work?

jez - Wednesday, February 1st, 2012

im a self employed window cleaner and will account 40pence per mile on my tax bill!
question is do i account milage to and from my home or only from my 1st job to last job?

plus if only from 1st to last job does this change if my home has an office used for my buissiness?

sam - Thursday, February 2nd, 2012

i went overseas with my family and my total tax that i had payed is about $ 700 for 4 tickets through Delta air line ,,,can i get my tax back when i do my tax return?

Geoff - Tuesday, February 7th, 2012

My employer pays me 20p per mile. This is below the rate set by the government isn’t it? (25p)
The fact is they used to pay 40p then changed their policy late last year. Are they allowed to do this?
I travel in my own car sometimes on journeys which can take between 2 and 4 hours, and this burdens my tyres, lights etc etc so therefore I feel the mileage rate should be at least 25p.
Can you help please.

Leanne - Wednesday, February 8th, 2012

Im working for a business where i travel from work to different companies all over the uk, I use my own car for this and Im not getting paid for my milleage am i able to claim this back from my employer?

Amanda Briggs-Temple - Thursday, February 9th, 2012

I have a company car and pay for fuel and claim back business miles at 12p from the company I work for, as this doesn’t cover the cost of business miles am I entitled to claim from HMRC any tax relief to cover the difference

Tim - Thursday, February 9th, 2012

I have a company car and a company credit card that is used to buy fuel for work use only. I put in my own fuel for travelling to and from work and for private milage.

Do I have to have the fuel benefit taken from my personal allowance?

Antony - Monday, February 13th, 2012

I have traveled to work and back 46 miles per day 4 times a week for the last 10 years. Can I claim this back and how?

elain  - Tuesday, February 14th, 2012

Do I pay for my own travel if I am sent out shopping for a client

s miller - Tuesday, February 14th, 2012

i have a company car and claim business mileage through my employer. can you claim for a tax rebate on this?

aaron - Wednesday, February 15th, 2012

I drive a company van and and am employed by the company, but I have to pay fuel costs which can be up to £250 per month. They give me no allowances. I pay for the fuel with a fuel card which is then deducted at the end of the month. I am assuming that they must claim tax relief for it, even though I am paying for it. Is this even legal?

Jo Holland - Saturday, February 18th, 2012

I am in the middle of claiming my mileage back, on my payslips it has the mileage divided into non taxable mileage and taxable mileage, am i adding the 2 together to take off the total to work out the difference i can claim? or am i just using one of the figures, and if so do i use the taxable or non taxable figure? Many thanks!!

Tracey  - Tuesday, February 28th, 2012

Do my employers have to refund my milleage costs to me for travelling to Occupational Health sessions out side of working hours due to stress at work.

Rob - Tuesday, February 28th, 2012

I will be having a “managment car” for work at a cost to lease of £175 per month, because I dont insure or tax this vehicle, I can only claim 15p per mile for business miles through the company I work for, can I claim anything on top of this 15p? as we all know 15p will not actually replace the diesel I use.

Carrie tough - Wednesday, February 29th, 2012

My husband travels 80 miles a day to get to his job (warehouse). Would he qualify for any help with travel expenses?

Tracy - Wednesday, February 29th, 2012

My place of work relocated last April,which adds an extra 20 mile roun trip on to my day, my employer pays me mileage costs for this distance, can you tell me how long i am entitled to this for.

George - Friday, March 2nd, 2012

hi, I am employed by an agency who ring me and send me to work at different warehouse locations. Is the mileage I do in my car from home to the warehouse classed as business miles as I don’t go to the office on route. Thanks

gail farnaby - Monday, March 5th, 2012

how do i apply to claim for me having to wash my own work uniform in the food industry

lisa hall  - Monday, March 5th, 2012

hi i m a carer in the community and use my own car for work and don t recieve anything towards petrol expenses i worked out i ve done 6000 miles in the tax year at 45 per mile wich works out at 2700 pound how much of this will i actually get

Stecolling - Tuesday, March 6th, 2012

Hi, im a teaching assistant in a Primary School in Newcastle and i am traveling 50 miles per day, 250 miles a week. Can i claim?

kirsty  - Thursday, March 8th, 2012

i am a self employed hairdresser and I was wondering how much I would be able to claim back for each mile that I have driven/drive. if you can get back to me that would be appreciated alot. Thank you

s. dawson. - Thursday, March 8th, 2012

for 6 years my employer has paid my price of a train ticket in my wages, this was the agreement in my contract. this was from home to office, i then work in the london area. the fare was always in non-taxable.. they now want to move it to taxable this correct?..i

alison rotherham - Friday, March 9th, 2012

i am a carer working in the community can i claim petrol expenses back! and will it be paid in cash or tax code reduced for next yr

Paul - Tuesday, March 20th, 2012

I recently was offered a job in which I will have a company vehicle, but I will be responsible for paying for gas. Can I deduct fuel expenses on my taxes

Fraser - Tuesday, March 20th, 2012

Hi I am a teacher on a 1 year contract, working wed,thur,friday do I count as a “temporary worker” and can I claim for my 360miles of travel each week to and from work?

jay - Friday, May 11th, 2012

i work for a home care company. i filled in a p87 form with hmrc they have put my tax code up for what i claimed for. will i get any money back as i dont earn anough for what they put my tax code to, or is there a different way i could go around it beacause im not getting any money back to what ive spent on petrol thanks

Adrian - Wednesday, May 16th, 2012

Please can you help. I have filled in a business mileage expenses form and I am owed £2119.00 by the HMRC. My company pays 25p per mile and I am claiming the difference. I have received a letter today saying they have adjusted my tax code so in essence I dont pay as much tax each week to make it up to the figure above.
I only pay roughly £30.00 a week in tax so it would take a year and a half for me to the £2119.00 and they would basically not have to charge me any tax. Why dont the HMRC just send me a cheque for the money owing, like they used to do? and how would I ever get the money back if I left my job and emmigrated?

MARTIN - Sunday, June 3rd, 2012


I work for a company who provides support staff for rail replacement bus services. Im employed on a zero hours contract, I have to travel to various different work locations. The company who I work for, doesnt pay for any expenses for my transport. I pay for my own car and petrol.

Presently I do around 4000 – 4500 miles per year.

I would like to claim back my mileage.

Could you please advise me if I would be eligable to claim my fuel mileage back. I have records of the shifts Ive undertaken.

Thanks for your time, if you need more information let me know.

Geoffrey - Wednesday, June 6th, 2012


I would like to ask if I’am qualify for the mileage allowance, I’ am a support worker and travel 23 miles everyday to my work, can I claim mileage allowance?


ben - Monday, June 18th, 2012

im a scaffolder, i did just short of 30.000 miles last year im my own car. how much am i entitled to claim back

Frazer - Saturday, August 4th, 2012

when I started work my employer stated I would get fuel money – he has been highly unreliable with this and insists on keeping it cash in hand! I was naive to begin with in my career, but have sinced wised up. I started keeping a record of every mile I travelled about a year ago, but, “officially”, has never given me travel tax relief. I travel at least 10,000 business miles per year.
Don’t get me started on his H&S outlook, but I am looking to break off as a sole trader and want to get a little back, if not a nice lump some for what any other employer focused company would of been paying me.
Can I claim back all these business miles I’ve been left unpaid for, or just the miles I’ve recorded? Do I need to provide a record of date and distance for all travel or can the unrecorded mileage be disputed with my employer to get the complete rebate from day one of my employment?

Perys Larcombe - Monday, August 20th, 2012

I am a carer and am paid £8 an hour, but I have to provide my own car and pay for my own petrol to get to each client. I am only paid whilst I am at the clients address and then when I leave I travel to the next client and during this time I am not paid. Also I am required to work 0700-2200 hours often 7 days a week. If I protest I am told I have to work. but due to the clock stopping and starting I do not know my rights. Can you help?

Craig stephen - Saturday, September 1st, 2012

Can I travel in company minibus to sites that are a long way from sites.,I have claimed for my own car when closer to home.

Steve - Friday, September 7th, 2012

I am on a temporary contract (1 year) at work. Can i claim tax back for my travel from my home to place of work?

Elaine matthews - Thursday, September 20th, 2012

What if a person working for care in the community only 8 to 9.0000 a year, and can the company stop paying35 per miles , they wont to wo rk out what we will use per week and fill each of our own cars , lets use use that, and then the same the next week .???

Elaine - Thursday, September 20th, 2012

My employers pay 35 per mile, now they want to stop …and lets use use fuel cards , sothey pay to fill up you personal car, what wed use for care work , can they do this .so in fact wed would loose the ware and tare on our cars ?

Priestley  - Saturday, September 22nd, 2012

Hi I have new job where I will be using a hire/lease car that is paid out of my own pocket. The company are paying 28p per mile , would I be correct in thinking I could claim the extra 12p per mile for the first 10000?

Sharon - Wednesday, October 3rd, 2012

I travel to the office everyday in my own car, using my own fuel money. It is around 120miles per week in total. Am I entitled to claim any money back for anything please?

Sharon - Wednesday, October 3rd, 2012

I travel to the office every day in my own car, using my own fuel. Its about 130miles per week on average. Am I eligble to claim anything back at all? Thanks

Jo  - Thursday, October 4th, 2012

hi,i am a carer.i want to claim back petrol money as i don’t get paid anything towards it but i don’t know how many miles i have done in the past 2 can i claim the money back

james - Tuesday, October 9th, 2012

my company provides me with a fuel card which i get taxed on heavily, it works out roughly £60 a month. this would pay for a tank of fuel which in my car is about 500 miles. i rarely use it for private use as my wife has a car.

i know travelling to and from work is classed as private miles but i work as a field engineer so i have no choice to how i travel or where i go.

my work have now said we are no allowed to fill our cars with fuel on a friday or monday, surely this then excludes us from using the fuel benifit for private use and as such the benifit of having the card out weighs the cost of having the card

KP - Friday, October 26th, 2012

I work for a construction company and pay approx £450 a month for train tickets, this is the cost from home to my place of work. Can I claim against tax on this? I occassionally visit temporary sites during the week which this tickets covers.

craig  - Saturday, November 3rd, 2012

im newly self employed courier i am paid 65 to 70 pence per mile and lay out alot of money just for diesal alone how much will i get back on diesal as i dont make hardly anything once i pay my tax and diesal costs?

Martin - Sunday, November 11th, 2012

Hi i work as a area relief officer and use my own car, my question is my company pay me 45p per mile however they only pay me after the 1st 40miles, so if my round trip was 60miles i could only claim for 20miles at 45p per mile, i want to know can i claim back for the 1st 40miles my company do not pay me for?

Any help would be appreciated as i cannot find any help on this situation thank you.

evaemma - Wednesday, November 14th, 2012

how to choose black evening dress?do you know the [url=
]black evening dress[/url] never go out of fashion .these dresses look absolutely stunning on women and girls of all ages and stature.before choosing black evening dress,you should know what size,style ,length and fabrics you want .all factors you should take into consideration .

maggie - Thursday, November 15th, 2012

When applying for a backdated mileage allowance, do I fill in the total(this year and backdated years) in box “business travel and subsistence expenses” or do I fill in the backdated amount (previously not claimed) in the “other expenses” box and then detail the backdated years in other information?
many thanks

fiona  - Thursday, November 22nd, 2012

i am a nurse in the nhs and work in the community covering a huge area. I use my own car can i claim?

stuart cottrill - Tuesday, November 27th, 2012

up to the 14th of Nov the company i was working for paid me 20p a mile for my travelling exs, they have gone into liquidation now and the new one isnt paying me any so i can try and claim all the relief. will i be able to do 2 calculations on my 2012/13 tax return? Thanks

Tom  - Sunday, December 2nd, 2012

I am employed and travel alot for work, i pay for this myself then give in my travel claim. When i receive my pay i am taxed on my travel by my employer, so i am loosing out and it seems as if i am paying my employers tax on travel. Is this correct or can i claim this back?

James - Wednesday, December 5th, 2012

I’m classed as field based and us emy own car for business purposes. Can I claim miles as business when i got to head office as I’m a field based operative?

James - Wednesday, December 12th, 2012

I am a sales rep and look after a specific area with 200 customers. I live around 20 miles from my area. I have a company car and pay for private mileage each month. My employer is now charging me private fuel from home to my first call and from my last call to home. I work from home and do all of my quoting etc from home. Can my employer do this? I don’t get any rebate on gas elec or broadband either!

anna bond - Sunday, December 16th, 2012

can i claim the difference if i receive a car allowance, chosen instead of a company car. For example, my employer pays me £30,000 salary plus £5,500 car allowance per annum (gross). I then claim 16p per mile.
Also, my employer pays me commuting miles too – can I claim against these miles?

Mr R Pearson - Thursday, January 24th, 2013

I work for an local council as a refuse collector i go to my depot every morning for about 15 minutes then go out on my round I have been told that bacause i am away from my depot for more than 5 hours a day i am entitled to claim a tax rebate is this true ?

Simon  - Thursday, March 28th, 2013

How can I get a refund rather than tax relief on my mileage expenses?

Simon  - Thursday, March 28th, 2013

I regularly carry passengers to work also and there is something about 5p per passenger available to claim. Can you clear this up please? Do I include this on the P87?

Mick - Monday, June 17th, 2013

I have a company car company have started to charge us on the business miles we do 15% is this allowed.?

Mick - Monday, June 17th, 2013

CAn my company charge me business miles on my comp as by car they are charging me 15% on business miles we do?

marc  - Friday, July 5th, 2013


I am a company director, if i have my own car opposed to a company car and have a fuel card.

i do probably 90% of mileage on company travel BUT dont claim any mileage back from the company. What is the best way of claiming back the difference?

am i right in thinking calculate the amount of business miles – work out the cost owed and put in the self assessment to counter balance the £5757 for fuel card charge?

Lisa - Monday, July 22nd, 2013


I am self employed and have bought a van through the business. Can I use the mileage method?