Tax Articles

Tax Rebate Forms

Tax Rebate Calculator

Income Tax Calculator

Claiming Back Tax When Working Abroad

With the population of the UK increasing to 61 million and unemployment rising rapidly, many people are leaving the UK to work abroad. Our tax experts answer some common tax questions on this topic:

Am I due a tax refund when leaving the country to work abroad?
As you are leaving the UK part way through the tax year you can claim a refund on the tax and income for the year.

Can I claim all my tax back when leaving the UK?
If you have earned less than the annual tax free allowance (for 2009/2010 this is £6,475) then you can claim back all the tax you have paid. If your income for the tax year was over, you will be able to apply for a portion back. For example if you earn £10,000 between April 5th (the start of the tax year) and the date you leave the UK and if you have paid £2,000 in income tax, you will be due a tax refund of £1,207.

How can I calculate my tax refund?
When you finish working, your employer in the UK should provide you with a P45. The P45 will state the amount that you earned and how much you paid in tax for the fiscal year in question. Input these amounts into our tax rebate calculator which will provide an estimate of any refund due.

What about tax rebates for previous years?
If you have been with the same employer for the whole tax year, it is less likely that you will be due a refund. You can still check however. Each April, if you are working, you will be given a P60 from your employer. The furthest in arrears that you can claim is 6 years.

When can I claim my tax refund?
As soon as you are given your P45 from your employer you can claim your tax refund. If you are not given a P45 or lose it, you can always ask your former employer to provide a statement of earnings, which will act as a sufficient replacement

What other forms do I need to claim my tax refund when leaving the UK to work abroad?
You should complete a form P85 from the Inland Revenue. Include this with any tax documents you have, together with a covering letter.

How long does it take to claim my tax back?
It depends on your tax office but refunds usually take between 4-6 weeks. Often there are backlogs and as a result it can take up to 90 days for refunds to be processed.

Can I claim my National Insurance (NI) back when working abroad?
Many people are unaware that you can claim back National Insurance Contributions. An NI (National Insurance) Rebate can be claimed at anytime and only needs to be done once. After that it is automatically done for you each year. Press on the link to claim a national insurance rebate.

Julie Collings - Thursday, July 22nd, 2010

my company sent me to work in bangladesh for a year and a half and I have only been back to the uk once at christmas for a holiday and I have been payed my normal wages and tax as previous years , my company did not bother to find out if I am due any tax benefits or rebates but surley I am due some rebate for the years I have not been living here. The term I was to serve was not fixed so I did not apply for any ex pat status, pls can you tell me if I am entitled to any rebate for the time I have served abroad.

TaxFix - Friday, July 23rd, 2010

Julie Collings: If you become a non resident you only need to pay tax on your income arising in the UK.

Maria T. - Tuesday, July 27th, 2010


I am a foreigner working in the UK, but I usually travel for 2 weeks every 2 months to work abroad for my company.Am I entitled to any tax rebates for these periods? If yes, how can I claim them? Thank you.

Adrian  - Thursday, August 12th, 2010

Hi I am a UK resident but have work abroad from 16years onlt returning weekends I am told by a accountent I am not entitled to any tax back.
Is this true


DanH - Wednesday, August 18th, 2010

Hi I am employed by a British company but deployed to work overseas, this has been for a full tax year with me only returning to the UK less than 90 days, am I therefore entitled to claim back my income tax?
Cheers, Dan

Pankaj Verma - Saturday, September 4th, 2010

I lived in UK from September 2007 to April 2010 and worked there on tier-1 work permit.
I paid tax during working in UK, now I left UK permanently and want to reclaim my taxes I paid.
Can you people help me in this regard? If yes, than
What is the procedure to reclaim tax in my case?
How much I can reclaim all I paid (Tax+NI) or part of it?
Do I need to come to UK for the process or it can be done from abroad with help of consultant?
What’s your professional fee if applied?
How much time it will Take?

Stephen B. - Wednesday, September 29th, 2010

Hi, I have just gained a contract to work abroad for 1 year, from 4th April 2011 to 5th April 2012. My family will remain in the UK, and I will only be making visits for less than 91 days during this period. Will I be exempt from UK income tax and NI?

K Wilkinson - Thursday, September 30th, 2010

my daughter has just returned to UK after working abroad since August 2009. Will she be due a tax rebate when she starts work here again?

TaxFix - Thursday, September 30th, 2010

K Wilkinson: She would likely be due one when she left the UK if she worked in the UK before leaving. She may be due one also for this tax year, she should check at the end of the tax year when she receives her P60.

Matt - Thursday, October 7th, 2010

I worked In England for 6 months and then went to work in Switzerland for 6 monthson a part time basis. I had two part time contracts. On I only got paid when I worked and paid the Swiss insurances and taxes. The other contract was full time on minimum wage and again I paid all insurances and was taxed.
I returned to the UK to visit family from and am now planning to go to abroad again.
Can you please clarify what I need to do in order to claim back my UK tax. I am not sure whether I need to declare my salary earnt in Switzerland etc.

TaxFix - Thursday, October 7th, 2010

Matt: If you are a non resident of the UK then you do not have to pay tax in the UK. When you left the UK you should have completed a P85.

Pinto - Tuesday, October 19th, 2010

My company is closing their subsidiary in UK and transferring my contract to their head office abroad. Even though I will be working from my home office in UK, I will get paid by this head office abroad. In this circumstances do I still have to pay taxes in UK?

Thanks for your reply.

TaxFix - Wednesday, October 20th, 2010

Pinto: If you are living and working in the UK, it sounds like you are a resident for tax purposes in the UK and so would need to pay tax in the UK. You can contact your local tax office to confirm based on your circumstances.

Al - Monday, November 1st, 2010

Hi, i’m working in the Middle East from Aug 2010 to March 2011 and not returning home in this time will i be eligible to reclaim the Tax i have paid during this time, or for the entire year?

TaxFix - Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010

Al: It depends on how much you have earned and how much you have paid in tax. You can check using our tax rebate calculator.

Brent G. Hile - Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010

I am a US citizen and worked for National Government in the UK from January 1993 until November of 1995 and paid all my UK taxes. I am now retired in the US and wondered if I could collect any retirement benefits or be entitled to any sort of refund.

mark lewis - Friday, November 5th, 2010

my uk company sent me 2 work out in the middle east 4 months ago i will be goin bk 2 the uk next week 4 2 weeks and bk out again all next year will i be entitled 2 claim my tax bk

TaxFix - Friday, November 5th, 2010

mark lewis: It depends which country you are a tax resident of. You need to be out of the UK longer than 4 months to be considered a non resident.

john - Wednesday, November 24th, 2010

I live in dubai but will leave in Jan 2011. i will start my new job in UK in Feb 2011.

Because the UAE is tax free i have not paid any UK tax on my earning so far.

I do pay NI, and I do pay tax on my military pension

Question….will i have to pay tax on what i have earned here in Dubai< <

Kind Regards


Paolo  - Monday, November 29th, 2010

Dear Sir/Madam

I am an Italian Architect and I have been working as employee for a small Practice in West London since August 2008. I am planning to leave UK in August 2011 and I wanted to find out whether there is any chance for me to get back some of the money I paid so far for the taxes, NI, etc. as I leave the country.
I will much appreciate any view over this matter.

Kind Regards

TaxFix - Monday, November 29th, 2010

Paolo: If/when you’re departing the UK you can claim a tax rebate. When you stop working you will be given a P45, when you have this you can make your claim by applying here

David-C - Monday, December 13th, 2010

Hi. I will be going to work in Bahrain and New Zealand from April 2011 until June 2012. I will be making a few short trips (< 2 weeks) back to the UK during this time. I will be paid by my UK Employer during my trip. Can I claim my tax back for this period? Thanks for any reply.

Richard - Sunday, December 19th, 2010

I will work outside UK but family will remain in UK. How many days am I allowed to stay in UK without paying tax?

Ashley B - Monday, December 20th, 2010

this year my company has sent me to work in china for short periods of time i.e maybe six weeks at a time, but overall I have worked in china for over six months out of the year, and this is likely to happen for the next couple of years. so because I have spent so much time working away am I entitled to a tax refund of some sort?

Martin Cooper - Saturday, December 25th, 2010

i work in Europe and sometimes futher a field and I am outside the Uk 6 months or more a year – coming back after a number of trips – I have always paid full UK tax – can i reclaim tax as I am not resident 6 months or more a year ?

TaxFix - Thursday, December 30th, 2010

Martin Cooper: It depends if you are a resident for tax purposes in the UK. You should check the requirements with your local tax office.

DLee - Wednesday, January 5th, 2011

I live in South Africa and manage the company’s offices in UK and South Africa. I have a contract with the UK company who tax me at source. I am a UK citizen and have lived in RSA for just over 2 years. I have a mortgage in the UK and rent my property in the UK.
1. What is my offical status (non-dom or non-res)
2. Should I still pay tax in the UK
3. If I choose not to pay tax in the UK (assuming answer to Q2 is ‘no’), how does that affect my debts etc in the UK?

Dave - Friday, January 7th, 2011

I’m a UK resident employed by a UK company (PAYE) but currently working in Angola. I’ve been here since 7/7/10 apart from a 6 week period over two breaks back in the UK. Am I entitled to any tax or NI rebates?

David Conway - Monday, January 10th, 2011

In June 2010 I moved from the UK TO India. My employer is still based in the UK and my salary goes into a UK based account. As I dont recieve any benefits of living in the UK am I eligible for a rebate on my taxes or National Insurance?

Ela - Tuesday, February 1st, 2011

If someone retired early, took their private pension, went overseas, and are receiving a small monthly pension, are they taxed on this? Also can they work in the new country.

Andym - Monday, February 7th, 2011

I work for a uk based company, pay tax in the uk, but this year by april i will have only spent 125 days in the uk. i mainly work in west africa. i ahve done this for several years now.
could be entitled to tax back?

P Straccia - Tuesday, February 8th, 2011


Can I claim a tax refund from Switzerland?

kind Regards

Koos Pieterson - Sunday, February 13th, 2011

Hi im a South African citizen, i have worked in the UK since March 2009, i plan on moving back to South Africa in December 2011. Can I claim back all my tax i have paid during this period due to not being a UK citizen or can i only claim back a portion of this amount? Also i see you can claim back your national insurance payments however this cannot be in the form of cash, how can this payment then be collected if you do not have a personal pension scheme etc?

Richard - Monday, February 14th, 2011

If I leave in April & am only able to make a claim based on the tax so far that tax year (which will be no month)? It seems to me that the best time to leave the country would be at the end of March if this is the case- that way you can claim for a full year. Unless it is more sensible than this & you can claim for the previous 12 months- regardless of when you leave..?

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 16th, 2011

Richard: Each person that works in the UK is given a tax free allowance, this allowance is allocated throughout the tax year, usually evenly.

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 16th, 2011

Koos Pieterson: If you leave the UK you can claim a tax refund. The amount will depend on how much you have earned and how much you have paid in tax. You can use our tax rebate calculator to get an estimate. We are no longer offering the NI rebate service at this stage.

stu - Thursday, February 17th, 2011

2009-2010 tax year i paid tax but i was out the contry all year can i claim tax back

Janet Ellison  - Monday, February 21st, 2011

I have worked in the UK for the past 6 years and am looking to go back home to South Africa this year and wanted to know if I could claim any tax back when I leave the UK ?
I look forward to a response,

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011

Janet Ellison: Yes, you can make a claim. When you stop working your company should give you a P45, when you have this you can make your claim by applying here.

TaxFix - Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011

stu: Maybe if you were a non resident for tax purposes.

Manuel - Monday, February 28th, 2011

Hi, I’m living in UK, but I’m not British, i’m working overseas for an overseas company in rotational bases, how much if apply tax should i pay?


Indran - Thursday, March 3rd, 2011


I am a South African, that worked in the UK from 04/2006 to 03/2008 on a two year working holiday visa. I’ve been back in South Africa since 04/2008. I used to contibute towards national insurance. Am I entitled to any rebates? If Yes,Is it too late for me to claim in 2011?

Thanks in advance.

TaxFix - Thursday, March 3rd, 2011

Indran: You can still make a claim the deadline hasn’t passed yet. You can apply for your tax rebate here.

Carl Barber - Saturday, March 12th, 2011

I am employed in the UK but spend about 120 days working abroad ( not continously).Aam I entitled to a tax refund?

Best REgards, Carl

nick - Friday, March 18th, 2011

i work for a uk based international haulage in uk for less than 90 days a year what can i claim back

Ford King - Thursday, March 31st, 2011

I moved to Switzerland last August as I was secondered to work for the company that took over from my Uk company. I get paid into my UK bank account by my ‘old’ company but live and work in Zurich and am registered with the tax authorities in Switzerland and a resident. Question: who do I end up paying tax to and why am I still getting tax coding from the UK tax office?
Many thanks

Hilary - Thursday, May 26th, 2011

How many days do I have to be back in Britain before paying tax?? Uk citizen been working abroad for many years please help….

Kate - Wednesday, June 1st, 2011

I am returning from working tax free in the UAE for 18 months. Will I be liable for taxation when I re-enter the Uk?

Mark Smith - Thursday, June 2nd, 2011

I notified an accountant about my plans to work abroad, in which they said they would fill in the paperwork. I left the uk in march 2008 until June 2009. During the tax year of 08-09 i was in the uk for 78 days, i only returned back to the uk due to injury whilst doing my job, i am still off now . I wish to start up my own ltd business in the uk now, but how do i become a resident again? and when i do would i be taxed on the money earned between 08-09 tax year? Do my days in the uk injured count to days at home?

Paul - Friday, June 10th, 2011

I work in Brazil but live in Britain.
How many days can i come back to Britain for in one tax year before i am intitled to not pay Brittish tax?

Kelly - Saturday, July 16th, 2011

I am leaving the UK in Aug with no intention to return. I have been living and working here for the last 5 years and have earned more than my tax free allowance each year. I used the details from my P60 for 2010-2011 to calculate my tax back on calculator on your site but it is saying I am not entitled to my tax back. I thought you automatically are entitled to tax back when you are imigrating from the UK.

Joseph Stevenson - Tuesday, July 19th, 2011

I am in the armed forces. From november last year till november this year i will have spent 6 months out of the u.k on 2 seperate ocassions. Would this allow me to claim back my tax for those 6 months?

Trevor Francis - Thursday, July 21st, 2011

Hi there im on a six month contract out in afghanistan being paid by a company in the UK via PAYE. I left on June 4th and will be back Dec 4th. How much tax or NI will i be able to claim back, and how do i go about this.

Thanks in advance

Daniel M - Wednesday, July 27th, 2011


I am about to start a job in Switzerland and have therefore been working in the UK for nearly 4 months of this tax year (having previously always been tax resident in the UK). I presume I will pay tax in the UK for the rest of this tax year? How will the tax i pay in Switzerland be treated? Will this be netted off against income tax due in the UK? Presumably then come next April, I will be tax resident in Switzerland only.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated


Dodi - Thursday, July 28th, 2011

I’m going to work on a private yacht – what is the best way to minimise my tax bill? Should I have my salary paid into an offshore account?

jeff - Saturday, July 30th, 2011

i have been living abroad for the last 15 yrs, but have not done any tax returns to the uk which is where i am from. I have been working, and paying the local tax, but i am now concerned there will be a big problem if i return to the uk to work later. I filled out a tax return when i left the uk, but have done nothing since. I can prove i have been abroad, but what problems can i expect if i return home

brewster - Sunday, July 31st, 2011

i am a uk resident as i am here 183 days of the year but work abroad can i pay uk tax on my income which i earn abroad are there any pitfalls and what forms will i need to apply for.

G Lopez - Monday, August 1st, 2011

I was working in the UK for three years, I am back in my country now. Can I reclaim taxes for those three years? I received an adjustment payment too at the end for the year, the last adjustment payment I received I was no longer in the UK, but the taxes were deducted anyway, can I reclaim also the taxes for that adjustment?

Padraig Flood - Monday, August 1st, 2011

Working in United Kingdom since Sept 2010

Returning to Ireland on the 6th August2011 ,Finish work on the 5th August2011,Worked for the same company while i have been here ,How do i claim back my National Insurance Rebate and would i be due a tax rebate,Earned about

karen - Monday, August 1st, 2011

hi I have just returned from working in an eu country .can you advice what i need in tax forms to hand into my next employer or what i need to do

B.Shima - Sunday, August 7th, 2011

I work for a uk drilling contractor but i am currently working in denmark. I pay NI contributions to denmark.What can i claim back and are there any other allowances that I can claim for working In Denmark

Helen Peters - Tuesday, August 9th, 2011

I have been living in the USA for the past 17 year and have just returned to the UK. Can I claim unemployment untill I obtain a job?

Vicky - Thursday, August 11th, 2011

If I return from the Middle East before I have completed one year then where will I stand with tax? I have been employed from August 2010 to July 2011?

Neil - Sunday, August 14th, 2011

I am going to live and work in Abu Dhabi on a two year contract from October 2011.
As the UAE is tax free I will not be paying any UK tax on my earnings. I am planning on spending less than 30 days, each year in the UK and I pay NI contributions, and UK tax on my military pension

Question….Will I have to pay tax on what I have earned in the Abu Dhab when I return to the UK

Louise - Tuesday, August 16th, 2011

When a employee is send to work in Africa Countries or Oversea, we pay them a “Stay Away allowance of $80 per day …. do we need to show this on there payslip to be taxed? Is there a way that we can give them insentives without taxing them on it?

karen - Saturday, August 20th, 2011

Hi, I’m an Australian Citizen and lived in London for 16 years. I have now moved back to australia and have not intention of living in UK again or working there. Can I claim tax back that I paid over the 16 years?

Rachel Henry - Sunday, August 21st, 2011

i am going to work in the Far East for 2 years, paid by non Uk company in Far East. I will be letting out my house in UK. Can I use my UK tax allowance for the income which will be paid into my UK bank account?

Tax Fix - Sunday, August 21st, 2011


Thanks for your question. No, whilst you were working in the UK you would have been liable to UK income tax on your earnings.

If you moved back to Australia part of the way through a tax year then you may have overpaid some UK tax during that period. Contact HM Revenue and Customs to see if you are owed a rebate.

Catherine - Friday, August 26th, 2011

If I work overseas but the company pay my wages into a Uk bank do I have to pay tax

Tax Fix - Friday, August 26th, 2011


It all depends whether your employer is based in the UK or not and whether you are resident/ordinarily resident for paying tax in the UK.

lincoln ricketts - Monday, August 29th, 2011

i have been working abroad since mid july and due back to uk end of september. can i claim my tax back

cara - Wednesday, August 31st, 2011

I am a uk resident i worked abroad for 3 months can i get any tax back.

Paula - Thursday, September 8th, 2011


I work for UK company, I got UK contract, but I am not living in UK, I am working in the hole Europe. I am citizen of Poland. Where should I pay taxes and pension contributions? Is it possibile o pay taxes in UK and pension contributions in Poland? Thank you.

peter todd - Thursday, September 8th, 2011

if I come from the uk but will be working in denmark do i have to pay uk and danish tax or just the tax in the country i work in.

thank you

derek - Friday, September 9th, 2011

can i claim my tax & ni back i am self employed & work abroad most of the year

Roy Moore - Friday, September 23rd, 2011

My wife and I lived and worked in the Republic of Ireland for 8 years and have now moved back to the UK. Can we claim anything from the UK or Ireland?
If so how do we do it?

Nik  - Saturday, September 24th, 2011

I have been resident and working in UAE for 1 year and filled out a P85 when i left the UK. I am planning to return to the Uk to live and work again but this will be before the new tax year. I was recently told that if I have not been out of the country for 1 full tax year, april to april, then I would be liable to pay UK income tax on my earnings for the whole period I worked for a UAE company. Is this correct? As obviously it effects my decision to return to work in the UK. Many Thanks.

Kendrick Johnson - Tuesday, September 27th, 2011

Im working in Iraq for KBR they re subcontractors for the department of defense. They are going to be laying off quite a few people in the coming months. We are paid from a company based out of Dubai,UAE. Can I file unemployment.

Daniel Nemeth - Tuesday, September 27th, 2011

Hy. I wanna ask, that if i reclaimed my tax in this taxyear and left the uk and i wanna go back 2 month later in the same tax year, than do i have to pay back the tax what i reclaimed? Thank U!

Frances - Wednesday, October 5th, 2011

I’m from South Africa but have been living and working in London for 3 years. I have a both South African and UK residency. When I move back to South Africa can I claim tax back from the time spent in London?

Martin - Thursday, October 13th, 2011

I will be starting a job in switzerland, being paid in Swiss Francs and taxed in Switzerland. My family will still be in england, do i have to pay UK tax as well as Swiss tax?

Mark Sanger - Sunday, October 16th, 2011

I work adhoc for a uk company. I spend more than half the year working in other countries ie: Gabon and Congo. Not sure if I am entitled to claim back for the proportion of the year I am out of the uk. Any advise would be appreciated

pau - Tuesday, October 18th, 2011

i have been working abroad for nearly 16 yrs now, and i have never filed a tax return back to the uk. i have been working in europe for the first 9 yrs and now i am working in asia. my employers say they pay the local tax for me, but i am not 100 percent sure. i have no plans to go back working in the uk but i am concerned if i ever have to in the future. i filed a form to say i am leaving the uk to work abroad full time. i am a uk citizen

Lee - Thursday, October 20th, 2011

I have just returned back from a 18 month trip to Italy & Spain.
I did not inform the Tax Office / NI Office – was I meant to ?

I am lucky enough to drop into a new job straight away…my question is – how much tax and Ni should i be paying ?

Any help would be appreciated..

Sally Stott - Tuesday, October 25th, 2011

I am a retiree living on investment income in Australia, on which I pay tax in Australia. I have bought a holiday home in the UK (I’m a joint UK/Aus citizen)and want to spend about 120 days per year there.I do not work nor earn any income in the UK but am worried that I may incur a tax liability on my Australian assets simply because I want to spend longer than 90 days in the country. Can anyone clarify this for me. Thanks, Sally.

Karen.A - Sunday, October 30th, 2011

I have moved to New Zealand and am currently on a 12 month working visa, would I be able to claim my Tax Back?
And if so how long do you have to be out the country for to be eligible?

Matt Copper - Sunday, October 30th, 2011

Hi – I am going to be living in the UK but working for a New Zealand company, I am planning to do this for the next five years. Bit stuck I assume I pay tax in the UK as I’ll be living there but my employer will be paying out NZ dollars – not sure where to start with this one, any advice or pointers would be greatly received.

Sandra G. - Tuesday, November 1st, 2011

I was born in the UK, I am a UK resident (London) and my nationality and passport is Italian (my father is Italian). I am planning to move and work in Tunisia, however I desperately need some questions answered.

1. If I were to obtain residence in Tunisia would I lose my UK residence or am I entitled to dual-residence?

2. If I do not become a resident in Tunisia will I be obliged to pay taxes in the UK?

3. If I become a resident in Tunisia but in the future wish to return to the UK will I be able to reobtain my UK residence?

I hope this all makes sense.

Amanda - Wednesday, November 2nd, 2011

Hi, I was made redundant in June and received JSA until August 1st when I came to New Zealand to do a 4 month contract. I am leaving early December returning in Feb for a long term job. Am entitled to a tax rebate from tax paid in my previous employment/

Beatriz - Wednesday, November 9th, 2011

Hi, I was working in Uk for two years and now I’m leaving. If I claim for the taxes back, how long time am I not allowed to work in UK? is that true?

Thanks a lot!!

jim green - Friday, November 11th, 2011

im working abroad do i have to pay tax on e
arnings i make aboard hear for 2 weeks then away againg

C Murray - Friday, November 25th, 2011

Hi, I was not resident in UK (went to Australia) from Feb 2008 to Jan 2009. I paid UK tax on my company pension (£12K) can I reclaim the tax I paid?

robert corbett - Tuesday, November 29th, 2011

I am a UK resident but have spent over 9 months off and on, working abroad. 5 motnhs of that will have been outside of the EU. Am i entitled any tax back based on these circumstances?

Tony Dawson - Wednesday, December 7th, 2011

i worked for a British company for four years,the last three years i have spent most of my time out of the UK,contract work around the globe,and now that i have been laid off would i be able to get a tax refund,if so how do i go about sorting it out.

kind Regards
Tony Dawson

john riley - Friday, December 9th, 2011

Hi I have been away from england traveling/living/working for almost 6 years now.
I have not been paying tax or NI
I now want to return to england indefinately, find a job and get back into work and in the system.
what do i need to do about tax and national insurance.
do i just start work or is there something more detailed?

george - Sunday, December 11th, 2011

i am thinking of working in brazil my shift pattern will be 3weeks there 6weeks in uk iwill be paid by a uk company will i still have to pay brazil tax on my salary or just the three week iam there

Sam - Saturday, January 7th, 2012

can i cash my tax rebate cheque in my spanish bank account

karissa - Monday, January 9th, 2012

I am working in the USA and have an investment property in australia, am I able to claim usa tax on my australian property

mary jane - Tuesday, January 10th, 2012

i am south african living and working abrosd for six years do i have to pay tax

neil bell - Thursday, January 12th, 2012

I am from the UK. On January 1st 2011 I started work in Iran. From April 1st 2011 to April 1st 2012 I calculate I will have spent only 80 days back in the UK which I believe I don’t pay Tax. BUT what about the 3 month period January February March 2011 when I was in IRAN. Total 15 months abroad. I need to know as I have received a self assessed tax form for April 2010 to April 2011. As this 3 month period was the start of 15 months abroad should I pay tax.
Appreciate your help.

Derek Simpson - Thursday, January 12th, 2012

I have just taken A job in Ship Secirity as got made redundant in September, my problem is this, I am on A 4 month contract, And not due back in UK until 30 April, having left UK on 31st December. How do I sort out my Tax? I was working full time until September, then Agency from September tp December, couple of shift A week. Any help would be gratfuly received as dont wont any tax issues over my head.

Kind Regards


Tony - Friday, January 13th, 2012

I have started my own building company here in the UK and have been asked to do some building work in Italy at the home of a friend. Can you please tell me what is required legally both here and in Italy before I arrange to go and view the property.
Thank you

Larry Grankham - Thursday, January 26th, 2012

I am a US citizen. I worked in the UK for years and paid a considerable amount in taxes. Am I eligle for UK retirement benefits?

Joanna Smithson - Sunday, January 29th, 2012

I work for a UK based company but am taking a 12 month maternity leave abroad and will only be back on the UK for a couple of weeks (ie my permanent residence will be abroad for the year). Am I entitled to reduced tax rate?

Botho  - Monday, January 30th, 2012

iwas working in uk now im back in africa for good but my friend told me that i have a cheque from tax office how do i claim it can they deposit it to my account in africa?

William - Monday, January 30th, 2012

I’m from the UK and I’m working abroard in Afghan for an American company. I get paid into my UK bank account. Do i have to pay tax in the UK?

sam - Tuesday, February 14th, 2012

i am a british citizen. i have a c/o address. for 8 months of the year i am working abroad (italy) for an italian company payin italian tax. will this affect my stamp duty in the uk,?
for the four months remaining i am either working with the uk or travelling? can i get a rebate from my uk earnings?

Mark B - Saturday, February 25th, 2012

I am living in Poland, but I have recently taken employment with a UK employer who are paying me a UK salary and will deduct UK taxes and UK NI contributions. Will I be exempt from paying Polish taxes? I don’t see why I have to pay double taxes in UK and in Poland. I’ve read that Poland and UK have a double taxation agreement, whereby I deduce that I won’t have to pay Polish taxes. Is this correct?

ahmad - Saturday, March 3rd, 2012

I have double nationality in which country i have to pay tax.

Mully - Sunday, March 4th, 2012

Tax Fix, I work for a UK Manufacturer and I am required to travel and stay in North Africa on a regular basis maybe about 100 days a year spread over the year. A customer I was travelling with top me I am entitled to claim £10 back for every night I stay in a hotel abroad.
Please can you advise if this is true
Many thanks

Scott Windram - Monday, March 5th, 2012

I am a British citizen living in South Africa as a Permanent resident. I may receive a job offer soon from a UK office of a global business who propose for me to be employed through their office but work from the South Africa office for them. There would be limited travel to the UK office perhaps on e a month. Would I be taxed in the UK or South Africa? Could I request indemenity form UK tax and pay tax in South africa on my salary?

Chris - Tuesday, March 6th, 2012

Hi, I am going to work in Angola, 28 day on, 28 off rota and will be returning to UK on each leave period. I have been told that Angola pay 17% of my tax, and I will obtain a tax certificate. What would I do with it? How much UK tax will I have to pay?
Many thanks

darren - Saturday, March 10th, 2012

im going to live in australia and rent my houses out back in the uk which i have mortgages on will i have to pay uk tax on them

Adrian  - Thursday, March 15th, 2012

Do I pay tax on my interest in my bank accounts while I’m living abroad?

kp star - Saturday, March 17th, 2012

i’m working outside of the uk for a whole tax year but will be paying uk tax. can i claim my tax back

Stephen Simpson - Wednesday, March 21st, 2012

I recently spent three years and 1 week working in Singapore for the Royal Navy. I continued to pay the same amount of tax and national insurance as I would of if I was working and living in the UK.
Can i claim any of the tax / national insurance back i paid over the 3 years?

mat tyers - Sunday, March 25th, 2012

i live in ireland and have worked n the uk since october paying 20% tax i`m moving back can i claim back my tax

R E SIMONS - Friday, March 30th, 2012

My son has been working in Italy for 12 years or so, he only worked in the UK for a short time after university. With employment in Italy not so stable should he have been paying some National Insurance stamp to give him some sort of benefits should he return to the UK either now or in the future.

Graham - Thursday, April 5th, 2012

I have lived and worked outside of the UK for 4 years. I have been offered a job with a British company, but working in Afghanistan. I am told that because my salary will be paid in the UK I will have to pay Income Tax and NI. I am not resident in the UK and have visited for only 2 weeks in 4 years. Is this correct, do I have to pay those taxes? I reside in Hong Kong with my wife. Any help would be gratefully received.

Mike - Monday, April 16th, 2012

What are the uk tax regulations on south Africans working in the north sea oil and gas sector?

andy - Monday, April 30th, 2012

I am a uk citizen I am leaving the country for 12 months can I claim back tax for the last 12 months this is what I have been told? also there are periods between 2007 an 2010 where i have been out oif the country for 3 months or longer am i entitled to claim anything back from these times?

Keisha - Wednesday, May 23rd, 2012

How do I go about claiming back my NI for the pass year?

Tim - Wednesday, June 13th, 2012

Hi I am employed by a British company but deployed to work overseas, this has been for a full tax year with me only returning to the UK less than 90 days, am I therefore entitled to claim back my income tax?
Cheers, Tim

Hayley - Thursday, June 21st, 2012

I’m now finishing workin in the uk, and goin to be working on a cruise ship next month, I will be away for 3 months at first then will be home for a month then away again for 4 and half months then home for 6 weeks. Will I have to pay tax whilst I’m working away.

Neil Sullingston - Tuesday, June 26th, 2012

I am being sent abroad with my company to Korea.
They have a dual taxation agreement and I will have the Korean tax paid for me by my company.
I will be leaving around September this year and will be returning every 6 weeks for 2 weeks (6/2 rotation). This trip will be until June 2014.

Can you please advise me if I will be able to claim anything back for the whole duration. I will be paid out fo Singapore so in fact there will be no wages paid in the uk for this duration.

please advise.

Ivana - Saturday, July 21st, 2012

Hi!I live in uk but i work for an italian company. I get the salary in an italian account.
As a single mum on a low income can i still claim working tax credit? Thanks for the help

sandra - Wednesday, July 25th, 2012

hi,I would like to aask,can I claim tax rebeate from 2007 till 2012 years ?I am not working 2 years for sickness.thanks for answer

Sharon - Wednesday, July 25th, 2012

I have lived outside the uk for 20 years and am returning to work after 20 years for 1 month, will i need to pay tax? Im British, an live already years in Portugal

Vamsikrishna - Monday, August 6th, 2012

I worked in UK for more han five years and going back to India. Whther i am eligible to claim tax refund from UK tax office. Please help me with suitable reply at the earliest

ella - Wednesday, August 8th, 2012

Can i cash my uk tax rebate in my portugese bank?

Brian Haddock - Monday, September 10th, 2012

I work for an English Holiday Company in Italy just for 5 months of the summer. I am contracted on an ‘unmeasured hours’ contract.
This equates most months to well under the NMW for the UK of £6.08p/hr.
My Company say it is not applicable as I am only employed for abroad, but I have read that NMW is still applicable at the rate in Italy, which still around the equivalent to the UK.
Any ideas Please

Ian - Tuesday, September 18th, 2012

I’m from England and work in China, I spend 5 weeks in China then 2 weeks in England alternate. I spend around 260 days a year in China do I qualify for tax rebate.

Dave. W - Saturday, October 6th, 2012

I have been an expat for 12 years and my Contract has recently finished in the Middle East.

I have recently been offered a new Job (via a recruitment agent) in India. The Company that I would be representing have said that they want the recruitment agent to pay me themselves from the UK. They have also said that they wish me to set up a limited Company (an off the shelf Company)?

Will I be subject to double taxation agreements, i.e. will I be subject to pay tax? I have not worked in the UK since year 2000.

I hope this is clear and you can provide me with some answers?

I am confused why they ask me to set up a company and why the Company want to pay me through the agent? Is this all normal procedure?

Mark Teske - Tuesday, October 9th, 2012

Hi There
I am a German Passport holder, and have lived in the UK for 5 years, before heading off to Australia on a working holiday visa for a year, and am now in New Zealand a third of the way through this 1 year year visa. I did not become a “UK Resident” – but resided nearly all the time in the UK barring holidays for a few months here and there. I left in June ’11, and so I reckon I will be due back all my tax, as my salary in total for the 3 months after 5 April 2011 would be less than the threashhold. Can you confirm this. Also, I see something relting to an NI rebate too? My intention is to return to the UK and resume life as normal after the end of my year visa in NZ. Will claiming any of this be detrimental to the process of starting back up again? Thanks !

Jamie - Thursday, October 11th, 2012

I worked in holland for just under 2 years, can I claim the tax I paid while there back?

Sue - Friday, October 19th, 2012

I am likely to spend up to 9 motnhs on a placement at my Employers Head office in the USA during which time I will still be paid in the UK. What are the taxation rules on this please.

wendy - Monday, October 22nd, 2012

my husband has been offerred a job in Italy for a min of 6 months. Will he stil pay Uk tax even if pais into an Italian bank account

Allison - Friday, November 9th, 2012

I worked in England for 6 months in 2006 and didn’t file my taxes upon leaving the county. Is it too late to file now??? Also, I hold dual citizenship (Canadian and EU) – would I still be eligible to get money back?

jocky - Saturday, December 29th, 2012

if i am working in brazil on a 6 on and 3 off rota can i claim my tax back?(coming home in the 3.
(1 year job)

steven - Friday, January 11th, 2013

hi I am going to work in new Zealand. im self employed at the minute but will be going to work to a company in new Zealand. will I be able to get a refund on the tax I will be paying in new Zealand and how do I go about getting it. thanks

michael avent - Friday, January 25th, 2013

Ive been working abroad for 3 years,returning to the uk every 6 weeks for a duration of 3 weeks, basically a 6/3 rota, can i claim a tax refund

Gary Longshaw - Thursday, February 28th, 2013

I am a South African Citizen living in South Africa, but I work for a company based in the UK (I started with them in January this year). They are paying me from the UK, but are deducting Tax and NI from me in the UK? I can get no benefit from these deductions, and have no way of reclaiming them, what can I do?

Wassila - Sunday, March 10th, 2013

I m algerian and I ll leave the UK forever I d like to know if I can have all money tax I paid last 7 years
best regards

Jack - Monday, March 11th, 2013


I live in the UK and have been working in Angola for a UK company for 18 months. Do I need to continue paying national insurance contributions? as I have been working outside the UK for more than 52 weeks.

Many Thanks


John nimmo - Friday, March 15th, 2013

Been in southern ireland for 12 years can I claim any tax back from when I worked in the uk

TaxFix - Tuesday, March 19th, 2013

John Nimmo: Unfortunately the deadline has passed to make a claim. Sorry.

TaxFix - Tuesday, March 19th, 2013

Wassila: If you are leaving the country you can claim a tax refund, though you will not be able to claim it all back. When you stop working you will be given a P45, when you have this you can make your claim.

yvonne - Friday, April 19th, 2013

I been working in uk from 2004 to 2008. When i left the uk in 2008, i file for a reclaim of of my tax. The HM revenue only paid me back for the amt i have paid in 2008. They did not pay what i have contributed between 2004 to 2007. However, the have taken my P45 also. Is there anyway i could claim my money from 2004 to 2007?

TaxFix - Tuesday, April 23rd, 2013

yvonne: Usually the refund will only be for the year you leave the UK. The deadline has passed for your claims anyhow, sorry.

james Willliams - Wednesday, May 29th, 2013

I worked in Asia for eight months coming home for 3 weeks christmas, i have been payed from the uk durring al this period. Am i entitled to any tax relief for this period out of uk?

Michael Taylor - Tuesday, June 25th, 2013

I have been working outside the uk for several years now usually for 3 months at a time then returning home for 2 weeks and then away for another 3 months, I am self employed and my accountant says that I cannot claim any tax refund for the periods that I am away could you tell me if this is true or not?

TaxFix - Friday, June 28th, 2013

james Willliams: If you left the UK you can claim a tax rebate. When you finished working you should have been given a P45. When you have your P45 we can help you claim your tax rebate at the following link:

Errol - Wednesday, July 17th, 2013

Dear sir,
My name is Errol and I worked in the UK from February 2005 to November 2006 and left the UK permanently.I worked for Dial A Phone Ltd in Kentish Town,London.I’ve been writing to so many places who claims to help get the tax and NI back but all of them refused to help saying it’s been six years since I left the UK and it’s not possible.But when I went through your website it said that the time limit on making a claim is 6 years. So if you have left the UK anytime in the last 6 years you can still make a claim.
I’m a currently living in Sri Lanka and going through a rough patch financially.Why I took time to make an attempt to claim is because I was unaware of the fact that I could claim tax.Please see what you could do to help me claim at least part of it.Appreciate very much if you could help me on this situation on compassionate grounds.

Thanks and best regards


TaxFix - Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013

Errol: Unfortunately the timeframe to make a claim has been reduced to 4 years.