Tax Articles

Tax Rebate Forms

Tax Rebate Calculator

Income Tax Calculator

Am I Entitled to a Tax Refund?

Am I entitled to a tax  refund

One of the most common questions that we get asked is: “Am I entitled to a tax refund?” Everyone’s circumstances are different, however there are a number of common factors which can be isolated to assess if you are eligible for a tax rebate.

How do I know if I am entitled to a tax rebate?
It will depend on how much income and tax you have paid in the year. As a general rule of thumb, if any of the following apply then you will be able to apply for a tax rebate from the Inland Revenue:

If any of the above apply then you can apply for a tax rebate assessment

What forms do I need to claim my tax refund?
The more information that you can provide with your application, the quicker and more straight forward it will be. In order to make a claim you will need:

How can I calculate my tax refund entitlement?
If you have a P45/P60 or your wage slips which show how much you have earned in the tax year and how much you have paid in tax you can calculate your tax rebate entitlement.

All you need to do is take the income and tax figures for the year and input them in the tax rebate calculator. The calculator will then work out how much you can expect to get back from the Inland Revenue.

What is the deadline for applying for a tax rebate?
If you want to claim your tax rebate you will need to do so within 6 years of the tax year that you are claiming for. The deadlines can change so we recommend that you submit your application as quickly as possible to avoid the rebate expiring.


David - Thursday, May 27th, 2010

Ihave recently been offered a cut in hours or voluntary redundancy would i be eligable to a tax rebate if i take redundancy?

TaxFix - Thursday, May 27th, 2010

David: Possily, but you can only claim at the end of the tax year in April. It depends on how much you earn and how much you pay in tax. If you do not get a job for a while you may be due a refund.

Anonymous - Friday, May 28th, 2010

I was made redundant in july but then started a new job in October am I still due a tax rebate?

TaxFix - Saturday, May 29th, 2010

Anonymous: It depends on how much you earned in total between 6th April 2009 and 5th April 2010 and the amount you paid in tax. You should be able to get this info from your P60 or P45. Once you have found out how much you have earned and paid in tax you can use our free tax rebate calculator to see if you are due a rebate.

Anonymous - Tuesday, June 8th, 2010

Can my employer claim tax rebate on my behalf.

TaxFix - Tuesday, June 8th, 2010

Anonymous: Can you be a bit more specific? Do you mean can your employer sign your forms and write to the Inland Revenue pretending to be you?

JOHN - Thursday, June 10th, 2010

I have recently been sacked -3 june 2010 will I be eligable for any tax refund?

TaxFix - Thursday, June 10th, 2010

JOHN: It depends on how much you earn between the time you were sacked and the end of the tax year (April 5th 2011). At the end of the tax year you should check to see if you are due a tax rebate.

Anonymous - Tuesday, July 20th, 2010

can i apply for a tax rebate if i am self employed? (worked 4 years in UK and now moving back to my country permanently). What forms i need and where can i get them from? Thank you.

TaxFix - Wednesday, July 21st, 2010

Anonymous: If you are self employed you should be competing a tax return to let the Inland Revenue know about your earnings. When you complete a tax return any refund can be automatically calculated.

Anonymous - Saturday, July 24th, 2010

Thank you for your reply to the message sent on 20th July. I have paid all my taxes for all the years im in UK. Could i have a tax rebate though for all those years? or is it calculated for this half tax year left only?

TaxFix - Sunday, July 25th, 2010

Anonymous: It depends on if you have overpaid tax in those other years. You can check to see if you are due a tax rebate by inputting your pay and tax for each year into your tax calculator.

Anonymous - Monday, August 2nd, 2010

I’ve been told I can claim tax back for laundering my works issue clothing and claim for food if working over 15 miles from home

Claudia - Wednesday, August 4th, 2010

I am on an emergency tax code. However the tax calculator says I am not due a tax rebate. Why do I have an emergeny tax code? I have had it for over 2 years and am getting worried I pay too much.

TaxFix - Wednesday, August 4th, 2010

Claudia: Is this your only job? Your second job should normally be on an emergency tax code. What are you typing into the tax calculator?

Sandra - Wednesday, August 4th, 2010

In order to calculate my rebate, do I use my monthly pay slips or my yearly P60

TaxFix - Wednesday, August 4th, 2010

Sandra: Your P60

alistair - Thursday, August 5th, 2010

I have been ill since December 2009 and for first three months received full wages then down to SSP I am still off ill am I entitled to a tax rebate for only working part of the year

TaxFix - Friday, August 6th, 2010

alistair: There is a good chance that you may be, it all depends on how much you earned in the last tax year and how much tax you paid. Were you given a P60 from your employer? If so you can check to see how much your tax refund would be here.

Rac - Saturday, August 14th, 2010

(i am rubbish at all this tax stuff and dont understand most of it) I started my new job in may 2010 and was not being taxed but about 5 weeks ago it started. Is this right?

DAVER - Saturday, August 21st, 2010

Having just started employment on 19th of July of this year.Having been not been employed in this current tax year 2010/11. My tax code was shown on my weekly pay slip as 647A now changed to 647L with no change in the tax I pay,is this correct? will or should I get a refund? a code change to my allowance?having only just started later in the current tax year or my expections wrong. Regards DAVER

theresa - Sunday, August 22nd, 2010

i have been working 2 jobs for the last 4 years am i entitled to a tax rebate have both my p60s

TaxFix - Monday, August 23rd, 2010

theresa: You can check by using your P60 and our tax rebate calculator.

TaxFix - Monday, August 23rd, 2010

Anonymous: There should be two amounts, the gross amount, before tax, and the net amount, after tax.

TaxFix - Monday, August 23rd, 2010

DAVER: At the end of the tax year you will be given a P60, when you have this you can check to see if you are due a tax refund by using our tax rebate calculator.

Peter - Monday, September 27th, 2010

I took Voluntary Redundancy in Aug ’09, then not worked until April ’10. I paid basic rate tax on the VR at the time and I have just filed my tax return (self assessment) and will be paying the remainder in Jan ’11. My query now relates to the fact that I have been offered re-employment by the same company but they require the VR to be paid in full (pre-tax) over 24months, which will be deducted from my Net wage. Will I be able to claim the tax back on the VR I have paid, as the co will be getting the Gross VR back?

over payment on tax - Wednesday, November 3rd, 2010

I am on a tax code of 647l i have been on this tax code since june 2009 am i entitled tio any tax rebate

TaxFix - Thursday, November 4th, 2010

over payment on tax: 647L is the normal tax code for the current year.

irene ferdinales - Sunday, November 7th, 2010

i retired from work in july this year and want to know if i am entitled to a tax rebate

TaxFix - Monday, November 8th, 2010

irene ferdinales: If you stop working part way through the tax year there is a good chance that you will be due a tax rebate. You can make a claim after the tax year finishes in April 2011.

Tom - Thursday, November 18th, 2010

I have had 3 jobs this year (2010) and have been charged emergency tax when starting new jobs. However, I have not got my P45 or P60. Is there any other way I can claim.
Also, I would like to find out if i am due a rebate from previous years?…

TaxFix - Thursday, November 18th, 2010

Tom: If you do not have your P45 or P60, you can write to your employer that you were working for at the time and ask for a statement of earnings on company headed paper which will act as a replacement for a P60/P45. If you need help obtaining this we have a template letter you can use, just Email us on: to receive a copy.

Wsin333 - Monday, November 22nd, 2010

I’ve been working for the company for 2 years on tier1 post-study visa and have decided to leave the UK when my Visa expired. Would I be able to claim my TAX back?, if so, would it be only the recent TAX year or for the whole time I’ve been working?

TaxFix - Monday, November 22nd, 2010

Wsin333: If you’re leaving the united kingdom you can claim a tax rebate. When you stop working you will be given a P45, when you have this you can make your claim by applying here. The rebate is usually just for the year in which you are leaving. We may be due a tax rebate for other years (it will depend on how much you earned and paid in tax during those years). We will automatically check for other eligible years also.

DA - Saturday, November 27th, 2010

Hi i studied for 4 years now that i left the country for good can i claim back the tax i paid

TaxFix - Saturday, November 27th, 2010

DA: Yes, if you are leaving the UK you can claim a tax rebate. When you stop working you will be given a P45, when you have this you can make your claim by applying here .

Michael - Tuesday, November 30th, 2010

My tax code is 647L iwas a married man until very recently (i was divorced a couple of weeks agao).Firstly is this the correct tax code and secondly should i inform the Tax people about my divorce. I never informed them when i married

TaxFix - Wednesday, December 1st, 2010

Michael: 647L is the normal tax code for the current year.

Sohel - Tuesday, December 7th, 2010

Hi. I was a student during 2006- Oct 20010. Now I am in post study work visa which will expire in 2012
After that I will leave UK. My question is can I ask for a tax refund right now. Many thanks.

TaxFix - Wednesday, December 8th, 2010

Sohel: Yes you can for previous tax years.

Simha - Tuesday, January 4th, 2011

I am leaving UK for Good and my stay here in UK is 182 days in this tax year. Am I eligible to a tax rebate? Please provide me the information

TaxFix - Thursday, January 6th, 2011

Simha: If you are leaving the country, you can claim a tax rebate. When you stop working your employer will give you a P45, when you have this you can make your claim.

richard dunnell - Friday, January 14th, 2011

my wife passed away 2 years ago,i have just been sent a r27 tax form,why is that

Lindsey - Wednesday, January 26th, 2011

i have currently been made redundant from my job role of 3 and half years am i entitled to a tax rebate?

TaxFix - Thursday, January 27th, 2011

Lindsey: Maybe, it will depend on how much you have earned and paid in tax (use our tax rebate calculator to see). You can only make a claim at the end of the tax year as you may receive benefits or other income before then.

Jon Riddoch - Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011

I have been working overseas for over 6 months of the year. How many days do i need to be out the country to claim a tax refund?

Matt - Monday, February 28th, 2011

Hi! I aam trying to use your tax rebate calculator and I have a question: Should I add N.I. payments to the “tax deducted” box?

Dave - Tuesday, March 1st, 2011

I was working for an agency as a temp earlier this year and I didn’t pay income tax. I am now on a permanent contract and pay income tax, would I be eligable for a tax rebate?

Diane Rae - Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011

My previous employer sent back 2 P60′s to the inland revenue in error, they should have totalled £10K, instead the totalled £20K for the last 5 months I was employed with them in that year. I got a letter from the Inland Revenue saying my salary from that year was £10K more than it actually was. From April to August 2009. Will I get a tax rebate?

Amanda Eisner - Wednesday, March 2nd, 2011

Hi, I’m a Canadian working in Edinburgh on a youth mobility visa. I was wondering if I am applicable for a tax rebate and how much it will be? Where do I go about finding this out and when would I receive it? My gross income is 300 pounds per week and I take home 250… Any help would be appreciated. Thank You!

TaxFix - Thursday, March 3rd, 2011

Amanda Eisner: It depends on how much you earn and how much you pay in tax during each tax year. You can use our tax calculator here.

TaxFix - Thursday, March 3rd, 2011

Matt: No, do not include NI.

Ami M - Tuesday, March 8th, 2011

i have been on maternity leave of 10 months, when i had my first wages back in work i was taxed almost 35%. can i claim this back?

TaxFix - Wednesday, March 9th, 2011

Ami M: It depends on how much you earned and paid in tax. You can check using our tax rebate calculator

dawn  - Thursday, March 31st, 2011

I have always worked full time but recently changed jobs and now work part time, am i entitled to a tax rebate

Shaz - Thursday, April 14th, 2011

I have been workin since last year november an ive been getting emergency taxed how do i go about gettin a tax rebate?

Shaz - Thursday, April 14th, 2011

I have been workin since last year november an ive been getting emergency taxed how do i go about gettin a tax rebate?

david mc dermott - Monday, April 18th, 2011

I was suddenly made redundant in december 2010. The company failed to pay me salary dur for the months of October and November of this year. My annual salary was £43,600.

i am claiming statutory redundancy and other entitlements from the government and I am currently unemployed.

am I due a tax rebate

Bernadette Bernard - Tuesday, April 19th, 2011

I have work for 30 years and neve had a tax rebate, am I entitled to a rebate?

Dragonfly35 - Thursday, April 21st, 2011

I have been working part time since about last July due ti ill health (I have MS). Will I be able to claim a tax rebate?

margie - Thursday, May 26th, 2011

I am an international student and I have received my P60 and it showed that I have earned more than my tax free allowance.In the tax refund calculator it doesn’t show any due amount.Can I still claim tax rebate?

Abby - Monday, June 6th, 2011

I have two jobs when i am using the tax caluclater do i nee to add both groos amounts together?

thierry - Friday, June 10th, 2011

Can I claim a tax rebate for 2004/05 ?

ciao - Wednesday, June 15th, 2011

I have been out of work since september. Would i be entitled to a tax refund and if so would it be from april 2010 to september 2011? Please clarify. thank you

Janet Miles - Tuesday, June 28th, 2011

Hi i applied in feb or march to you to see if i could get any tax back,i had one call from you asking for my p46s i sent what i had and you said you would have to get my others. any idea how long i may be waiting?

Buddy - Friday, August 19th, 2011

I am starting a new job and just want to know my rights. From when would I be entitled to SSP. ? Will I only be entitled after a certain period?

anonymous - Thursday, September 1st, 2011

Alot of people in my work place have had tax rebates for paying to much tax, iv been ther just as long,bt seem to be the only one not to have one! I dnt undastnd why.

Mohamed - Wednesday, January 4th, 2012

Im a student and i have rights to work only 20 hours per week…but im doing about 40-45 hours per week last year…can i request for a tax return…And will i get in trouble when i goin to renew my visa.

Ange  - Thursday, January 5th, 2012

How do I find out what I earned in 07 to 08 if I haven’t got my p60 or wage slip

sm - Monday, January 9th, 2012

Can i fill in a tax return without a P45/P60? The payroll company sent it to my old address which was then thrown out by the new tenants. I tried to contact the company several times for a copy but they refused and are now saying they don’t have it anymore. What can I do?

Daniel - Monday, February 20th, 2012

Can i claim for this year yet?

kelly coy - Monday, February 20th, 2012

When will I receive my tax back and how much will it be

Dave Betts - Monday, February 27th, 2012

If i am leaving work for good at the end of March,can i expect a tax rebate ?

Brenda - Wednesday, February 29th, 2012

If I have only worked 10 months out of a tax year – am I entitled to any tax back

kavin mak - Monday, March 5th, 2012

Hi there!
I am from INDIA.I have been offered 3 yrs term in inter company transfer in UK. My employer have given me a lumpsum gross package without dividing it into any heads. Can I claim tax refund on Housing/commuting/council tax etc after end of financial year.

David - Wednesday, March 7th, 2012

I am a self employed plumber, I seem to be paying quite high tax in my opinion, how do I go about finding out if I would qualify for a tax rebate?

naz - Wednesday, March 14th, 2012

i stopped working in sept10 in between the tax year would i be entitled to a tax refund?

Gemma owen - Tuesday, April 10th, 2012

hi am I entitled to a tax rebate as been on maternity leave

Mary M - Wednesday, April 11th, 2012

I worked full time in London from 1984-1988. Am I due a refund?

anon - Saturday, April 14th, 2012

i chose to take a 2 year break from work, i made no claims for any money, i have just started work again,am i entitled to anything?

Carol - Thursday, May 3rd, 2012

Last year i overpaid my tax. The tax office have now adjusted my tax code to give me back this tax. Can i not have it back in a lump sum it is £2000?

michael - Thursday, May 17th, 2012

i have worked for the same company for 10 years and have never had a tax rebate is this right? im married with 3 children and im 26, also if i left my job would i get a tax rebate?

Joan - Friday, June 8th, 2012


Can i recalculate my tax from 2004?
What I need to do?

Joan - Friday, June 8th, 2012


Can I claim my tax back from 2004?

m jones - Friday, June 8th, 2012

i have worked for 28 mths after retirement can i claim any tax back now i am finishing for good

ChrisD - Tuesday, June 19th, 2012

I have worked continously for the same Company for the last 6 years…. I think most people I know have been in continuos employment too but not sure, but would I be entitled to any tax back?

keith - Monday, July 2nd, 2012

i have not done my self assessment for 5 years and dont have all my tax records wat should i do

denis white - Saturday, July 7th, 2012

9 years working 3 weeks off sick can i get tax back

duane - Monday, July 9th, 2012

i have only been working since 2011 and have been taxed on all my wages can i claim some back?

kathleen halpin - Tuesday, July 10th, 2012

I started receiving state pension in may and will retire at the end of august. How soon can I claim a tax refund

Laura - Tuesday, July 17th, 2012

Hi, I have recently lost my job due to ill health, after being off sick but still being paid for 8 months. Someone has mentioned to me that I should be entitled to claim back the tax that I have paid. Os this likely to be true?

Ola - Wednesday, August 8th, 2012

What happens if you have more than one job?

stu - Wednesday, August 15th, 2012

Last year I was registered as self-employed in a partnership with just my partner and employed. My earnings from employment were £15,000 and our self employed business made a loss of £5,000. I’ve obviously paid tax on my employment wage regardless of my self-employed figures, so was wondering if I should be entitled to anything. Also, I left employment at the end of May so will I have to wait till next year to claim any rebate I’m due from April till May?

Kath - Sunday, September 9th, 2012

In April my place of work closed and I now have to travel to another place of work with the same company. They pay me 40p a mile for this but deduct tax and NI from this. Can I claim a tax rebate?

supernan - Friday, September 28th, 2012

i was self employed when i retired in february 2004. i applied for six years of refund in march 2011 as i had been taxed on various investments although my income was only half my entitlement, even when i was working. the year 2005/6 was rejected and when i queried this was told that i should have had that year in before the 31 january 2011. As i had retired before the 2004/5 deadline why did the self employed deadline still apply over a year later, shouldn’t it have reverted to the April deadline?

Isabella Vita - Monday, October 8th, 2012

I’ve just started a new job and I’m 16.
I’ve been taxed but I’ve only been there maybe 4/5 weeks.
How and when will I be able to claim my tax?
Thank you

dan - Thursday, October 11th, 2012

i was made redundent at the end of june ,i went abroad for 3 months and came back in september , i have been claiming jobseekers since september , i plan to go away at the end of november , i was payed £5228.77 from the start of this tax year to the end of june , total tax was £640.20,, predicted jobseekers allowance from 8th september to 30th november is about £800.
My question is this , based on this information if i was to sign off jobseekers alowance on the 30th november to go abroad, would i be entitled to a tax rebate , and how much roughthly.

Vincenzo - Wednesday, October 17th, 2012

I was dismissed on the 6th of September 2012′, am I entitled to any tax rebate..?

anonymous - Monday, October 22nd, 2012

Im self employed not taking any wages,have now got a partime tempory job they,ve asked me for p45.What do I need to get and will it tell them i’m selfemployed as I have not said so, told them I work for someone as it’s gone against me in the past.

bill - Thursday, November 1st, 2012

i retired in august 2012 will i be entitled to a tax rebate

Marc - Saturday, November 3rd, 2012


My company provide me with a company car and fuel card. When they recieve my milage return they total up the fuel purchased on the card during the month and divide it by the total miles covered, which in turn gives a cost per mile driven. They then use this rate to charge me for any personal mileage declared.
As I work on construction sites, my home to work travel is classed as business mileage. However they class the first 15 miles driven each day as personal milage for some reason and therefore charge me.
This equates to around 300 miles a month which is approx £45.
I am led to belive that I am able to claim this money back from HMRC based on the actual costs incurred (the price of the fuel per mile).
I want to know if this is correct and if so how to go about claiming this back on my tax return.

Kind Regards


Tax rebate - Tuesday, January 15th, 2013

I claimed a income tax rebate when I went to live abroad for 5 months. I have now come back to the uk and am working. Will I have to pay all the rebate back in one go?? As I could not afford to loose it all out of my first salary ??

anon - Monday, January 21st, 2013

got 3 months notice from my job and have been on esa since left work in september 2012 am i due for a rebate

TaxFix - Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013

anon: It will depend on how much you earn in total during the tax year. The tax year does not end until 5th April 2013, so your eligibility will be determined on how much you earned (including any benefit) and how much you paid in tax. When you know these amounts, you can check using our calculator here.

Robert Moxon - Sunday, March 17th, 2013

Am i entitled to a tax refund,i am retired but i still work and pay 20% on all earnings from working.I also pay tax on my pension.I have not worked for the last 3 months.

TaxFix - Tuesday, March 19th, 2013

Robert Moxon: It depends on how much you have earned and how much you have paid in tax.

steve - Friday, March 29th, 2013

i have been working for the last 3 years and just laid off am i intitled to a tax rebate

Brian Evans - Monday, April 8th, 2013

I started working for in-home supportive services in October of 2012 but they back paid me from June 2012.I didn’t receive any money until January of 2013.My question is “Am I still supposed to do my taxes this year or not?

Joe T  - Tuesday, May 14th, 2013

I changed jobs half way through the tax year taking a pay cut of roughly £2,500. Would I be eligible for a tax rebate?

TaxFix - Friday, May 24th, 2013

Joe T: It depends on how much you earned in total and how much you paid in tax during the fiscal year. You can check using our calculator here.

michael channing - Wednesday, July 17th, 2013

The firm i worked for went bust in april this year and we got bought by a firm from usa .can i get a tax rebate

TaxFix - Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013

michael channing: It depends on how much you earned and paid in tax during the tax year. You can check using our calculator here.

Debby - Monday, July 29th, 2013

I started working for myself in August 2012 – have not made a profit, if anything made a loss as in first year, probably around 8k loss – can I claim a tax rebate

TaxFix - Wednesday, July 31st, 2013

Debby: If you have paid no tax then there is no rebate to claim.